Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared rose.

I received a tester of this from a very generous swap partner, and in the imp it's exactly the smell of my grandmother's pink-and-burgundy-tiled bathroom, circa 1978. Grandma grew roses, but she also used rose cold cream or rosewater bath products or something just like this. Roses are hit and miss on me, but the dusting of sugar on this one prevents it from going sour. It's delicate and achingly beautiful, with surprisingly good throw. Absolutely lovely.

A pink, sweet rose, absolutely covered in sugar. Definitely a rose scent, but on me there is a lot of sugar in the blend. Good longevity and throw on the skin.

This is from the old run, and very pretty! Hope is a very soft, maybe pink rose blend. It goes a little sour while drying down, but not enough to make this a swapper, this stage is pretty brief. Its just light sugary rose! Its not as sharp or stemmy as Rose Red, or as powdery as say London. I think dry on the skin, I like this better than Katrina.

Hope is the sister that says not through words, but through her scent, presence, and simple gestures, that the world might be a scary place to be in right now, but she hopes everything might just be alright, and it's okay to stop and smell the roses sometimes. It's okay to be soft, playful, and hopeful, and try to support those around you and be a comfort to them. 🤗 

Another winner from the Lab! 

I've not encountered this kind of rose before. Unlike "Faith" I'm not picking up much sugar. It is there but it is faint. This smells like a waxy kind of rose to me. I think I'll use this one for layering.

Lovely sweet rose petals fossilized in powdered sugar. This smells more like old-fashioned confectionery than a floral to me.

It's lovely as an indulgence on its own but my favorite layering mate for this is not twin sister Faith, but with the nutty almond musk blend that is Hecate. 

Instant rahat loukoum / Turkish Delight!

Purchased first in a decant circle, then as bottles direct from the lab. My review for the sisters combined is beneath each separate review; my review for Faith alone is here.

In the bottle: Tea rose covered in powdered sugar. 

Wet: When I bought these, I wasn't a huge fan of rose and didn't love how it behaved on me. That's changed somewhat and I can wear most of them these days - however, at the time, I was SUPER pleased to find that the tea rose which generally induced a teeth-grinding headache did nothing of the kind.  

Dry: Stronger, and less sugary, than her violet counterpart, but with the same slightly powdery note as it settles. 

Together, Faith and Hope blend perfectly, with the astringent edge of the tea rose soothed and rounded by the sugary sweetness of the violet, and the slight powdery note of the violet morphing into an almost vanilla-like scent when combined. The rose strengthens the violet rather than drowning it out. They're definitely best worn as a pair, though both are lovely on their own as well. Together, they have a mid-strength throw and last about 8 hours.

Stars: ★★★★★

Edited by alyelle