Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared rose.

Hmmmm.... Not for me. Although the lovely notes do morph from in the bottle all the way to complete drydown, NONE of the stages were nice on me. I'm not a big rose fan, though, so this little impie will end up in YoakeNoKami's box!

In the imp, I get strong, rich, full-bodied rose, like smelling a still-growing rose that's still on the bush.

Wet, the sugar is more present - it gives Hope a creaminess that Faith doesn't have, but it's definitely rose, rose, rose.

Dry, it's more of the same - a beautiful rich rose scent. Very nice!

I came to BPAL fairly late in the game, when the time of Single Notes was long gone, but this seems to be a single-note rose - really beautiful, but not the complexity I'm used to from the other scents I've tried. Time will tell whether or not I wear this one on its own, but I'm tempted to start experimenting with layering this with other scents.

This one reminds me exactly a kind of sweet that is made in a limited area of my country: it's a "rose petals sweet" that you eat tiny portions of and drink lots of water afterwards.

Hope is exactly that sweet: rose and sugar. I may end up licking my wrist :P

A lovely smell, not sure though that I want to smell lickable at all hours :D

Okay. I like it, then I don't like it, then I like it again. It is a sweet candy rose fer sure. Not like Two, Five and Seven, not like Rose Red, not like Peacock Queen, not like Persephone, not like Lucy Westenra. Nope, it has the most in common with Moon Rose and Bearded Lady, except that BL has that awesome amber/lily/jasmine power play that makes it smell like a mature woman's perfume. It is not an uber-rose scent. Hope is juicy when it's wet, takes on a sour flavor midway and completely dry the powder note is prominent. So, I'm kinda on the fence. Powdery isn't my favorite - I'm never after the baby powder perfumed toiletries that the cosmetic industry thinks women are so crazy about, but Hope is sorta nice. All in all, I'll keep it a little while and see if I change my mind, but I won't be that upset if I manage to sell or swap this baby.

I thought I was going to love this!

In the vial: sugar and bitter rose.

On my skin: a flash of sugar and strong, bitter rose.

Dry: now the sugar is gone, and all that is left is strong bitter rose.

I don't like it, I had really high hopes (no pun intended!) for this, Sugar + Rose = :P The rose is too bitter for me, like the rose note in Lady Luck Blues

A few hours later, the rose had softened a little, and smells sweeter, now the sugar has returned, but the rose is still has the bitter edge. I will try this again in time, just in case... If I have a different opinion then I will come back and edit this review.

:D

i'm pretty picky about my rose, and once i was thoroughly smitten with Faith, i felt resigned to not like Hope, but i do!

in the bottle: like i said in the Faith review, the two smell exactly the same in the bottle, just as it should be with conjoined twins.

wet on my skin: the rose comes out hard and fast with the sugar seeming a bit cloying. i don't dislike it, but it's a bit granny-esque for me.

dry down: it all changes, the rose and sugar mingling together more

an hour later: the sugar has mellowed to cream and the rose becomes round, not grandma and not overly floral either, just...rose-cream. yummy- i will DEFinately wear this one lots! :P

On me this initially smells like a lighter white/pink/tea rose on me--there is a sharpness and borderline soapiness that I don't tend to get with other types of roses. That only lasts for a minute or two, and then the same sugary note that you see in Faith comes through on Hope. However, it never manages to quite overcome the sharp edge of the rose on my skin. For people who have skin chemistry that doesn't turn some types of roses very sharp, I'll bet this is very, very beautiful.

I had high hopes for Hope, and she blended wonderfully with Faith, but on her own she just wasn't for me. The sugar overpowered the rose too much for my taste and unfortunately the scent ultimately reminded me of rose-scented play doh.

Hope smells like sugared roses when wet. I smell the same type of rose that is in Rose Red (2005). After it dries, musk joins the rose and sugar. Although I usually love rose scents, this is not one of my favorites. The sharp rose and musk just do not blend well to me. This is a rose that I won't be wearing very often.

To me, this smells exactly like the sugared rose petals on gourmet cakes.

The scent to my nose is like one of these petals on my tongue: Agonizingly sweet candied rose.

I just adore it, and luckily my skin just drinks it up and the scent stays true; one of the only blends that is exactly the same on my skin as it is in the bottle.

Plus, it lasts and lasts! I rubbed some into my hairline this morning before work, and I just unpinned my hair and caught a whiff... more than 12 hours later!

Hope, the Siamese Twin

I'd been dreading this one mainly because I'm not a rose person. But curious enough because Faith ended up doing something completely funky and pleasant, but being no where near "violet".

That said, Hope is the very same. The only rose I got was from the bottle. As soon as the oil touched my skin it morphed into a tangy, sweet almost candy-like scent. Even after complete drydown, it stayed on the same candyish side. 6 hours later and it's still the same.

Not bottle worthy, but I'll definitely be keeping my decant! :P

Hope is gorgeous creamy sugared roses, like a bouquet of red and pink roses + the sugared vanilla of Antique Lace. So lovely, feminine, and unique! :P

Great lasting power and throw, to boot!

Okay. I am NOT a Rose fan, but I love sugary sweetness, and I think this scent *may* have enough sugary sweetness to actually keep it. It's not a SUPER strong rose, however, I will have to give this some time to see if it's actually wearable for me.

Wow, this might actually be THE BPAL rose that will be amazing on me! Rose is one of my favourite notes but unfortunately it tends to turn really sharp and my skin - for example Rose Red and 2, 5 and 7 were just too green and fresh for my liking.

Hope is softer - the sugar is cutting the sharp edge off and even though the rose is still very fresh and bright, this is a lovely, creamier rose scent. Very pretty and feminine and yet not too girly (for example compared to the little girl rose in Alice).

I will definitely need a bottle and I'm curious about how this will blend with Faith!

:P

creamy sugared roses, a cross between peacock queen and rose red. here too is the plastic element of snow white but it is bearable cos the sugar is so strong. yum!!

I just had the ridiculous luck of someone frimping a decant of this to me :P (thank you samarablackcat!!)

I don't know why I haven't yet gotten around to trying Hope and Faith. Hope is just what I... erm, hoped for. Deliciously, lightheartedly sweet sugared rose. It's like a candy rose, like a little-girl's rose. Sigh! It's making my mouth water. I want to be drenched in this.

My wishes confirmed: I need the Hope and Faith set.

Hope is gorgeous. My other favorite lab rose is London. This has that same distinctive tea rose scent, with the lovely sugary scent wrapped around it. It doesn't really blend into a single scent, it remains separate, but that's not a problem! It doesn't morph on me, either, and it lasts beautifully for hours. A winner!

Exactly what it says on the tin – sugared rose. Very pretty, and a very slight tint of green on the rose stops it being sickly.

In the bottle: Sweet vanilla and rose.

Wet: Same. Quite creamy, but fairly light. The rose smells like tea rose to me.

Dry: The rose is still really nice, but the cloyingly sweet vanilla has taken over, and something in this is also making my rosacea flare.

Summary: Damn you vanilla and unknown irritating flowers!

I think I like it! Imagine, a rose that works on me!

It's just like rose candies, but even sweeter! Like maybe a rose petal encased in rock candy. That sounds about right. I really like this :P I'm glad I finally got a decant, so I know to fit in a bottle before the Carnavale goes away!

First Impression: Rose.

Dries down to: Sweet rose.

Additional Comments: Hope - Rose usually amps up incredibly on me. The sugar in here makes this one of the few rose blends that actually work on me. A very pleasant surprise.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Hope is... exactly what it claims to be. It's a pale pink rose, dipped in crystalline sugar. Really beautiful!

Normally my chemistry amps rose like no tomorrow, but I love the note, so I thought this time I'd run with it instead of fighting it. And woot, it worked!

Hope is a definite bottle purchase!

Throw: Average

Wearlength: Average

Color assocation: Pale pink

My best friend gave me Hope as a b-day present... I just hadn't gotten around to writing my review. For starters, I adore sugared anything, especially sugary florals. nummynummynummy!

Hope is everything I thought it would be. An innocent and sweet sugary powdery rose... its so soft and sweet. Simply beautiful!!! I knew I'd love this, and I knew my friend knew I would love this :D

God I love roses...

Sugar is also a great treat.

Put them together... and it's :P

Edited by Purrsnikety