Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

King Cobra (2006)

Snake Oil with orris, frankincense, and copal.

This was a "Great BPAL Etsy Rush of 2013" purchase, and the second of the CD scents I bought that I've had a chance to try. The bottle is aged at least 2 years (likely closer to 3.5).

Out of the bottle: it's subtle. I'm not 100% sure what notes I'm getting. I don't get much of the snake oil, but something resinous.

Applied: I'm instantly reminded of Sunbird. It's not as dry as Sunbird, and a tad bit sweeter (likely a result of the Snake Oil). It's still incredibly subtle, and I'm afraid it's going to wear off fast; I'm afraid I didn't mix it as well as I should have before applying.

Drydown: Ah, there it is. After about 10 minutes, as it warms with my body heat, the Snake Oil comes out to play, but a tad sweeter. The throw is almost pure Snake Oil, but when I do a direct sniff of the wrist, it's dryer, almost dustier (what I associate more with Sunbird). I'm really liking this.

I do think I'm going to have to give this another go, rolling the bottle more before applying, but I'm enjoying the subtleness of the scent. I'd definitely consider this a win.

I've had this for awhile but only wore it once or twice, and was unsure of it worked with me, especially since I had already fell in love with His lovely sister, Snake Charmer... It has a very rich undertone that must be the frankincense influence, that was really lovely, but I wasn't sure if it was for me. Then I wore it to work one day, and instead of putting on my skin I put it in my hair. I work outside so every time a breeze would drift through I would catch the scent and as the day went by I fell more and more into it! Then a woman came up to me, saying "Oh my what IS that perfume??? Hubba hubba, that's hot stuff!!" I immediately ran home and put it on my swap wish list!!

Edited by Dedee

ITB: Soft and sensuous - the Indonesian oils and frankincense pair beautifully together, while the vanilla and orris seem to layer over everything like an ephemeral veil.

Wet: The Snake Oil are much clearer with the scent. It seems to enhance the oil, sugar, and vanilla notes even more with resinous and slightly sweet tones of frankincense, orris, and a touch of copal.

Dry: It's gorgeous when dried as well with its Indonesian oils, vanilla, and softy enticing resins. I'm a little worried I might not have enough of it.

In the bottle: A gorgeous combo of snake oil swirling with dark burnt violet petals, which I think is coming from the orris root.

On wet: Beautiful rich woody smelling snake oil.

Dry: Sultry spiced vanilla with resinous rich undernotes.

Not to much throw here but decent lasting as this stayed on for a good 5 hours before I reapplied. Glad I just picked up this nearly full bottle from ebay because I can see myself using this all up by fall. I love it.

In bottle: This scent is pretty simple to detect all the way through because of the very few notes. In the bottle I get a strong whiff of what I think may be copal? Completely earthy and claylike. Smells like a sweet cave! If that's copal, I LOVE it!!!!!

On skin: Copal :D and a few seconds later I suppose the white frankincense and orris. The white frankincense is really nice...but faint?

Dry: Orris (I think) smells like a pink flower? This and Snake Oil...though only a hint of Snake Oil.

It turns out to be an okay scent. If the copal stayed with the scent for the duration, I would be in love with King Cobra. I'm going to try it a few more times to see if the copal survives after the initial blast, if not, I could take it or leave it.