Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the imp - Almost reminds me of Pumpkin Queen + this caramel rooibos tea I have at home.

Wet - Not getting any Snake Oil - either the incense or the vanilla. Actually, this really reminds me of Cockaigne.

Dry - Gets a little bit smokier over time - so there's the Snake Oil coming out!

The end result - both my husband & I agree that it smells like pancakes & syrup on me :P Though I'm not sure how much I want to smell like breakfast, so it's probably for the best that it's pretty much impossible for me to get more of this!

There are some BPAL caramels I can't wear because they're too buttery, but this is perfection. It's sweet and sugary, but the Snake Oil gives it a delicious depth and spiciness. The throw is perfect too--not too much, but I don't have to glue my nose to my wrist to smell it either. Although my nose wants to be on my wrist anyway, just to breathe in every last molecule. :P

If this ever became available in 5ml form, I would be such a happy girl... :D

I have only a drop to schniff and try, but: buttery, rich, and foody. I can barely discern the snake oil, this is a pound cake with a hint of some spice I can't quite put my finger on. Even though I'm not a foody kind of gal I must admit this smells really damn good and definitely edible and sexy all at the same time. A..minty? note hovers - I don't smell it so much as feel it. There is a resinous quality after a long space of time - this is really round and lovely, and distinctly sexy, and I'm certain there is much weeping and lamentation that this can't be bought separately in a big bottle. I know I'd love one!

Ooh, that's good! Definitely has Snake Oil as a base. Other than that, I get lots of foodie smells - caramel, definitely. Also some tobacco, I think. This is a dry scent. Love it!

at first: a honey/carmamel sweetness.

on: definitely caramel.

1.5 hours later: lots of caramel and dark patchouli. very nice.

6.5 hours later: sweet, dark, and earthy. tons of smooth patchouli and caramel.

8 hours later: still going strong. mostly sweet caramel, but with a nice patchouli base.

overall: i wasn't sure about this at first, but it ended up really nice on me. it isn't too foody and lasts a long time.

I’ve been putting off trying this one until I felt that I could give it the time that it deserves. Now is still not the time but I just couldn’t resist any longer.

Wow, I love this scent! Initially it’s caramel, melted sugar, and Snake Oil.

Snake Oil and Sugar Skull is a good description. It’s heavy on the caramel and sugar, with the Snake Oil providing a backdrop. As it wears, the Snake Oil base becomes stronger and the sugar and caramel quiet down.

Gahhh, this is fabulous - both wet and dry. Before I tried Anaconda but based on the reviews, I tried layering Sugar Skull and Snake Oil and it was wonderful. Thinking back, it’s not quite exact, so maybe Eat Me and Sugar Skull is a better match. I’m going to have to try that combo but overall, Anaconda is wonderful and I wish I had more than a few drops.

Yum, I'm so happy this works on me. I was afraid of it going plastic on me, but happily that wasn't the case. I get a sweet, sugary note that isn't quite a gooey caramel but something in that family. I think previous comparisons to the crisped sugar topping of a creme brulee is quite appropriate. As it wears on I still get that caramelly sugar note, but I can start to detect the Snake Oil underneath. I'm amazed the blend continues to work as Snake Oil itself didn't work on me - it went plastic after about an hour. Here, though, I get the nummy vanilla, a hint of something woody and perhaps lightly musky all blending gorgeously with that sugar-caramel top note. This is sooo good. It just makes me sad I'll never be able to get a bottle of it.

Anaconda

In the imp: caramel! Lots and lots of Gluttony-style caramel with Sugar Skull brown sugar. Darkly sweet like treacle toffee.

Wet on skin: now I smell Snake Oil underneath that sugary butterscotch layer! Maybe even a little Snake Charmer as well…

Dry: mmm, now it’s much smokier, I now smell the tobacco that other people mentioned. This is amazing. I think this could be considered the masculine version of Snake Charmer, although maybe masculine is incorrect since this is very unisex. It’s sweet and foody dark caramel mixed with tobacco and bonfire smoke, with the Snake Oil base behind it. I also smell fruit, like plum, which also makes this smell strongly like Snake Charmer and Mme Moriarty. This is gorgeous and the caramel isn’t as overwhelming now.

After a while: the scent’s throw increases dramatically and it smells like the most delicious fusion of Sugar Skull, Trick #2, Mme Moriarty and Snake Oil/Charmer. The perfect dark caramel-nothing cloying or buttery here, this is treacle toffee laced with smoke, over a fruity Snake Oil base. So good. It becomes smokier and develops the nutty quality that a lot of BPAL caramel scents have but never turns sickening, it’s like brown sugar and maple syrup in here. And eventually it fades and the Snake Oil scent surfaces, only it’s drier and more ‘crumbly’ in texture, like there’s a toasted almond aspect, similar to Asp Viper.

The drydown is a wonderful balance of delicious brown sugar caramel and Snake Oil. The perfect balance between the two-the caramel doesn’t take over or smell too heavy like it sometimes can.

Verdict: this is the most wonderful caramelised Snake Oil scent, the perfect mix of gourmand goodness with the familiar Snake Oil base, shot through with hints of smoke and a tempting, teasing hint of Snake Charmer! The caramel note in here is perfect-not cloying, sickly or with that odd ‘burnt nut’ scent I sometimes get in the foody scents, it doesn’t take over the scent either. The caramel and the Snake Oil are on equal terms here. there may be hints of chocolate to this but I swear I get plum and also something like tobacco. This is so delicious and it lasts for ages on the skin as well, it makes me want to nibble myself. I really wish this was available in bottles, but I’ll make the most of the little implet I have of this, and will also keep the imps I get in my Snake Pit purchases. Definitely one to hoard and covet. It’s almost evil that this is only available in imps!

Emoticon rating: :P :D

Is it a keeper? Yes! I wish I could get a bottle…

If you like this, try: Snake Oil, Sugar Skull, Cockaigne, Asp Viper, Creepy, Elegba, Red Lantern, Mme Moriarty

My first review here! I figured after engineering a shared Snake Pit order to get my hands on an imp of Anaconda, I really ought to review the silly snake. :D

In imp: WOAH. Caramel-butter-sugar-spice, right in my face. Very reminiscent of Gluttony, if Gluttony had spices instead of nuts.

Wet: The Snake-Oiliness starts to come out almost immediately, kind of winding around the caramelly-foodiness. Very intriguing!

Dry: Wow! This scent has gone far more sophisticated on me than I was expecting! There's still a rich, sugary undercurrent, but the slinky spiciness has toned everything down. It's as if Gluttony suddenly turned suave and debonair and had a love child with Scherezade. DANG, this is foodiness turned upscale! TEH LURVE! :P

I was beginning to wonder if my decant was mislabeled because this absolutely does not smell foody to me in the least. In fact, my first whiff seemed to be all tobacco. As I read, through, I saw a few other mentions of that, so I thought I'd wait it out. As it dried, tobacco remained prominent, but it didn't slap me in the face any more, and a hint of what registers to me as burnt sugar/creme brulee, and an occasional hint of what seems like incense, which I'm assuming is the Snake Oil base. At this stage, I can sort of see the foody that everyone else is getting, and I definitely prefer this to when it was wet by far. This is just not me.

I'm not normally a foodie, so I wasn't afraid of being addicted to Anaconda.

Oh boy was I wrong.

In vial: butter, caramel, and vanilla.

On skin: it stays exactly like the vial: pure buttery caramel, almost toffee-like, underscored with sweet vanilla.

Drydown: this stays true from the vial through drydown: sweet, buttery vanilla caramel. Gorgeous! It's almost maple-like.

ETA: hours later, it's still going strong. I applied this at 10 AM this morning and I can still smell it at 7 PM! The snake oil comes out and turns this more incensy with that creme brulee note others mentioned above. I think I'm in love.

Edited by phedre

as a regular sugar skull user, i immediately picked up on the sugar skull similarity. and that makes anaconda sooo goood to a foodie lover like me!

the snake oil does make an appearance in the drydown, definitely. this is a scent right up my alley and i won't be ashamed to try some crafty layering once my precious imp is gone.

This is one happy smelling, suffocating snake!

It took me a while to figure it out, but it's Cockaigne, plain and simple, without having that too strong, too sickly, too cloying, just overall gross overtone that Cockaigne has.

I don't get this nearly as foody as most others. I've never smelled Sugar Skull, so I can't say anything about similarlity there. But I don't really think it smells like either Eat Me or Cockaigne that much.

At first blast it's sweet Snake Oil, and there is maybe an overtone of something that makes me think more of maple syrup or brown sugar than caramel, and maybe a touch of nuttiness... but even that's not entirely right. There's a little bit of a powdery top to it at this point too. Someone else said sandalwood and I do get some of that at first as well.

But as it dries all the sugar-sweetness turns into a sticky-sweet tobacco note. If you've ever seen a pouch of chewing tobacco... the tobacco shreds are moister and stickier than smoking tobacco... and that's what this makes me think of.

I put it in two places... on the open back of my hand, and in the skin-to-skin crook of my elbow. The elbow location turned tobacco-smoky faster than the open location did. On my hand it kept the slightly powdery top and more of the sweetness.

I get a nice supporting layer of Snake Oil throughout. On me this is pretty much a spicy-sweet-tobacco Snake Oil. I am head-over-heels in love with this one. :P

This basically smells like Snake Oil with a liberal addition of brown sugar. It's a rich, warm, caramelized sugar, and very sweet. It smells a lot like the sugar note in Crumpet Rebellion, I think. It's really lovely with snake oil.

And that's it! Pretty straightforward. I don't know what the actual notes are, but on me, it's pure brown sugar.

I just put a tiny dot on the back of my hand, and even that had great throw, so like all Snake Oil, apply with caution! Your imp should last you a long time. I put it on around 11:30. It's almost 4:30 now, and while it has definitely faded, it's definitely nowhere near gone.

Edited by naeelah

(First review, so)

In the vial: Eat Me, with caramel.

Wet: snake oil and caramel. Very spicy and sweet, but the buttery note disappeared.

Dry: Initially, it's sweet Snake Oil, but the longer I wear it, the more I get a perfect golden honey note. I don't get Cockaigne vibe from it, which was all wine, just a little cake on me. This is so golden and rich and oh, so smooth.

I was really hoping not to like it, since I only have a drop in the tester, and am not likely to ever see more. But this is gorgeous. If it ever becomes available in 5 ml, I'll be very very happy.

To me, this is a super sweet, caramel and butterscotch pancake syrup, drizzled over snake oil and topped off with just a dab of sweet cream butter. It has a faint whiff of tobacco keeping it grounded and lending an incense kind of feel to the sweetness. Foodie lovers are going to really love this one! I see the comparisons to Gluttony, but this is really like nothing I have ever smelled from BPAL before. It also has some incredible throw and staying power! Quite excellent.

Maple syrup. That what it smells like to me. Really F**king good maple syrup with a hint of snake oil. If only it came in a 5ml. Mabye if I buy 5 snake pits at once..... BPAL is like a crack addiction. First you try it, usually for free from a friend. You keep telling yourself you have it under control and you can stop at any time. Then before you know it, you are hooked and blowing all of your money. Anaconda is like the top shelf stuff that makes you sell everything you own just for one more hit. Its not fair.

Really sugary Snake Oil. It's a "heavy" scent, really sexy and wonderful. I think i smell the "burnt caramel" smell that i get in sugar Skull and Creepy so if you like those two i'd give this one a try. I only have a 1/4 imp so i'm glad i didn't fall in love with it!

tartchef very generously frimped me a sniffie of this...

Creme brulee and Snake Oil...but I really get the sense of maple syrup from this. It's wonderful and swirling brown and sweet, but it remains sticky, flowing--it never gets hard or burnt (on my skin at least). There's a really foody freshness to this that I don't get from other similar blends. I'll bet that's the Snake Oil in the background. I was only able to put a little dab on me, and I think that's really good with this oil--less absolutely strikes me as more, if you know what I mean. I basically smell like one of the sweet crepes I can get from the crepe stand--syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar. I don't really get that much SO from this blend either--I know it's doing something in the background, like I said earlier, but I don't really pick up on it distinctively. It really is pretty awesome, and I'm so glad I had a chance to test it.

Disclaimer: I am nowhere near as good as most of you at breaking down notes w/in the blends, but I can give my thoughts to a certain degree :D

One word: SWOON! :P It's just delicious. Sweet and deep and lickable (if only!) The depth of the Snake Oil keep it from being overly sugary, imo, and adds such a sensuality to it. If this scent could be translated into a flavor, it would be excellent as a lickable massage oil or body paint. Very grownup, yet playful too.