Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

Chocolate Snake Oil!

In the imp its got a lot of chocolate....on....chocolate for the first few minutes rapidly fading to Snake Oil with a hint of cocoa.

I might take the above commenter's advice and layer with The Candy Butcher, which is my to-die-for chocolate scent.

Ha! Cool. It looks just like a lava-lamp. It's so thick and gloopy, and it separates. I'm having a hard time mixing this though. I rolled my imp, stirred etc. and when I dabbed some on, it was still just the light part of the oil. The cocoa lies at the bottom, and when I turn my imp upside down it's actually kind of gritty at the bottom! So I digged a bit deeper with the wand and got out a bit of that cocoa absolute onto my skin :P And even on the skin the oil separates. So at this stage = fun but time-consuming.

Imp: Ahh... Good stuff. A real cocoa scent, not candy sweet. With a notable SO base.

Wet: What can I say? Cocoa dusted SO incense. I R Happy :D

Dry: Very good. Addictive I think. This may have replaced Velvet as my chocolate scent of choice and big-bottle candidate, but I will have to ponder for a bit. The problem I see with this is the mixing problem, which makes the scent seem alot like just plain SO if you don't get enough cocoa out and onto your skin. And even when you do get some cocoa on, the SO predominates alot. But the cocoa is just such a nice touch, making this even more sexy and delicious.

Oh yeah. I didn't really notice any teak or rice milk. I was busy nosegasming on the cocoa and SO.

What baffles me is the oil-clarity of Velvet compared to this. The cocoa notes of the two oils seem similar in smell, but so different in physical appearance etc.

Thanks to lorajc for the decant.

Vial: Mmm. . .cocoa absolute!

Skin: The cocoa lasts about half an hour with the best elements of SO. I don't really get either of the topnotes, unless they're giving me that sense of creamy spicyness.

Drydown: In the end this reverts back to Snake Oil and still smells the same as the original on me, alas. I think it's an great concept, though, for everyone whose chemistry works well with these blends.

A tad dissapointing. The rich dark bitter cocoa vanishes after half an hour, like many have already said, leaving behind regular snake oil. It's nice, but I wanted this for the cocoa! Ah well.

Boomslang: A Drama in One Minute

Nose: Mmm, cocoa!

Skin: Oooh, CHOCOLATE!! [GULP]

Nose: Hey!

Skin: *urp* Mm? Whazzat?

Nose: You ate up all the chocolate!

Skin: What? No I...oh. Huh. Well...here, you can, um, sniff the wrapper.

Nose: Gee, thanks a lot.

Skin: ...sorry...

Uh, gee, even without looking at the notes, I see the massive amounts of chocolate in this. So... yum. Not at all the same chocolate as in Kali, I can tell right off.

In the vial - The teak gives the chocolate (and yes there's tons in here) a warm woody note, but I can see why someone mentioned mint. It's not a true mint, but it's like the IDEA of the fakey mint used in candy is there.

Wet - Cho. Co. Late.

Drying - The chocolate is dying back a bit and the Snake Oil is really coming out, only boozier than I'm used to. The teak is also warming it up, but I'm not getting any rice milk. The chocolate has become less the candy and more the powered true cocoa scent, which works well with the booze seeping out.

Dry (2 hours) - Babypowdered right out. Blarg. There's just the slightly touch of teak and spice, but it's mostly straight up powder.

Overall - Well, it was nice when it started, but even then, I have chocolate scents that I like more. After the powder hit, well... Nothing more to say, then.

In the bottle: Cocoa, 100%

Wet: pure cocoa, it smells like hot cocoa actually, milky. Snake Oil slowly emerges beneath it.

Drydown: very much like when wet and in the bottle, cocoa, with slightly powdery Snake Oil peeking out from underneath. Of course it would be nicer if Snake Oil didn't smell like talcum powder to my nose. The vanilla note of Snake Oil works well with the cocoa, and the rice milk smells nice and milky. And ooh, teakwood. I have teak furniture, and it smells *exactly* like this. It's a sort of sharp, leathery wood scent.

Overall: Hmm, it's an interesting scent, with a very nice chocolatey scent in the beginning, and a more teakwoody ending that really works well with the Snake Oil. The cocoa is really yummy, and the teak is really pretty, but I don't see myself wearing this. Except in extreme drydown where it's hints of Snake Oil with teak + honey goodness (rice milk?) and smells divine.

in the imp, Boomslang is a dark chocolatey brown color. when i apply it to my wrist, it smells exactly like a Tootsie Roll candy. as it dries, it smells sticky and syrupy. like rich chocolate syrup with a hint of molasses. it’s not at all powdery like most other BPAL cocoa scents i’ve tried. i don’t notice any teak or rice milk. after it dries, the Snake Oil asserts itself. the cocoa and the woodsy, spicy incense notes of Snake Oil seem to be vying for dominance. sometimes the cocoa is stronger, but then i sniff again and the Snake Oil hits me. either way, it always smells good.

In the bottle, Boomslang is spiced chocolate. The consistency is like thin Hershey's syrup (just like the newest 13). On my skin, it was still spiced chocolate and very yummy. Unfortunately, it started to burn, so I had to wash it off. I think I'll try it as a room scent.

In the bottle – Creamy chocolate milk, with just a hint of the wood

Wet on me – Dark bitter cocoa, with an almost rubbery woodiness from the teak

Dry on me – Sweet, sexy skin musk, sometimes O-like, other times tinged with cocoa

Overall - This is good stuff, sexy and sensual, without being in your face, sweet without being sickly, a real winner

Edited by Ajila

This is definitely richly chocolate but I’m picking up something minty as well which, well, I’m not as much a fan of. I dislike mint chocolate stuff. I like the richly chocolate quality mixed with the spicy, resinous quality of the Snake Oil but the mint tinge isn’t making me so happy. I’m hoping it goes away.

The minty quality does fade a bit however the chocolate fades a bit as well yet it’s still deeply resinous and reminding me of some very dark velvety color. Definitely nice enough but not my favorite out of the Snake Pit.

It settles down to plain Snake Oil is my guess (since I’ve never tried it) but if that’s true I think I’ll just get Snake Oil and skip the minty chocolate stage which I’m not that big a fan of.

Rating: 2.5/5

Throw: Very good

Edited by Lunaratu

Boomslang.

In the bottle: spicy, rich fudge brownies

On my skin: mmmm, spicy rich fudge brownies

Drydown: The chocolate fades a little and the Snake Oil comes out more. But there's still enough chocolate to keep it cocoa rich.

I love Boomslang. It took me by surprise. I didn't realize how much I loved it until I noticed how often I was reaching for my little decant. Then I bought a bottle and now I slather. LOVE! :P

In the vial, this is pure cocoa. Not that sugared cocoa powder stuff that you're supposed to put into your milk, this is real, pure cocoa. Dark and rich. Yum!

Wet on my skin, the Snake Oil shyly informs me of its presence and waves through a thick layer of - now sugared - cocoa. Once again, I want to eat my wrist.

Drydown - Ohh, I'm in heaven. It's a chocolatey, snake-oily heaven. An absolutely divine, sweet scent. I might get another bottle before the Carnaval is gone.

Started out as a sort of cocoa (NOT chocolate) mixed with Snake Oil... nom nom delicious! Sexy and spicy and wonderful.

Sadly, it dries down into a sort of spice mix that's... meh. I can appreciate it as a nice scent, but I would not ever feel the need to reach for it in the imp box, and I would NEVER go through a whole bottle. Something about it feels very much unlike me.

In the bottle: All chocolate, dark rather than milk.

Wet: Similar to Velvet - strong chocolate, but without the initial mouldiness.

Later: This one is about as chocolatey as velvet, but with less spice. I can't really make out the vanilla at all. Much shorter wear length & throw than velvet on me too, sadly. Initially was quite thick and brown, but now, an hour later, both the coloured patch and scent have gone :P I guess this one didn't work for me & I'll have to stick to Velvet.

6/10 - liked the smell, but I'd have liked a greater wear length, and for me to be able to make out the differences with Velvet. I'm a BPAL newb, and I've got Snake Oil coming in about a week or so, so I may try it again after that to see if it helps me make the distinction.

Love this, will happily try and horde bottles of this. I love the look of it, the needing to roll around the bottle to get the cocoa to mix in. Completely thick, unfortunately right at first dry down upon skin it goes to burning rubber smell, but it mellows on me to be gorgeous cocoa and most certainly all that is good about Snake Oil itself. Love that dry cocoa scent, makes me think of taking a deep sniff off a tin of Hershey's unsweetened. This smells beautiful I like to put a a decent amount in my palms and run it through my hair. The smell lasts wonderfully long for me so it's worth the very short 'rubber' period.

In the bottle: Lots and lots of chocolate!

Wet: I was able to get all the parts of the oil, but so far, what I have really just smells like cocoa. I agree with others who have pointed out a similarity to Velvet's cocoa note (though you don't get Velvet's sandalwood here).

Drydown and wear: Snake Oil starts to break in rather early in the drydown phase, and it does blend very well with the cocoa. As the scent continues to dry, the SO spices actually take the lead and push the cocoa note into the background (not to say that it still is not prominent). I'm not getting the creaminess of the rice milk or any sort of woody scent. While this is certainly lovely and I can see why it's become a forum favorite, I still prefer Death Adder for bringing out the SO spices, and Velvet remains my Holy Grail of cocoa scents. I know I will be able to find this a good home. :P :D

Mmm....this is amazing.

I love the cocoa-ness of it, and I love Snake Oil.

It just smells amazing, and it makes me happy to wear.

In the imp: Opaque! This is my kind of oil... except it can't be Boomslang at all. Surely this is mislabeled Hershey's. Shelldoo? Have you been messing with people's oils? :P

Wet (not really "wet" so much as "dark sticky stuff I have to rub in"): Deep, dark cocoa with a slow rising of Snake Oil vanilla.

Drydown: As the cocoa -- reminiscent of that in Centzon Totochtin and Tezcatlipoca -- dries down, it becomes easier to pick out the teak and the wonderfully-placed rice milk notes. Rice milk! I never knew that could work in a perfume, but it's just a nice, subtle layer -- and, as with ingestion, it works ever so much better with my chemistry than dairy milk.

Verdict: Oh Hel, another thing I need a bottle of!

Love it!

It took quite a bit of judicious bottle rotation to get the oils to mix - it was so worth it. In the bottle and wet, all I smell is a dark, delicious cocoa. I agree with those who said this note smells similar to the cocoa note in Velvet, but this is much deeper and sweeter thanks to the Snake Oil base.

As it dries the SO comes out more and more, and by drydown, I'm left with the scent of a richer, sweeter, well aged SO. The sillage and staying power are superb.

I know it's been said, but this is one dark oil. My skin is very white and no amount of rubbing would stop the oil from producing noticeable brownish yellow stains wherever I applied. So I slathered it on skin hidden by my clothes and to the ends of my hair, 'cause I will not be prevented from wearing this with joyous abandon.

I will be hoarding Boomslang. I predict this will age beautifully.

Me + Boomslang = true love forever!

When I first bought this fragrance I was meh about the scent. It was chocolatey and vanillaesque, but it did not wow me. I even swapped my original bottle away for a different LE. However, I bought another bottle and had it sitting in my perfume drawer for a few months and it has developed into something amazing. The chocolate is richer and creamier and lasts all day on me. Even after the drydown I get whiffs of a chocolate malt type scent. Love love love it!

I am so glad this chocolate note works on me because I do not like what Candy Butcher did to my nose when I tried it on. That did not agree with me at all. I am definitely getting another bottle or three or ten before the carnival goes away.

So, straight out of the bottle and on me, yes, it is very chocolate-y, but that doesn't overwhelm the other notes. It's not a dry cocoa powder chocolate like the Candy Butcher or a sweet cake-like note like Bliss, but dark and decadent and reminds me a bit of chocolate fudge sauce. There's a little bit of a creamy note that I reckon is the rice milk, but that fades pretty quickly, in about 5 minutes on me. The scent of Snake Oil, vanilla and spices, is very strong in this one, probably the most Snake-Oily of all the Snake Pit that I've tried so far.

The blend of cocoa and vanilla in this reminds me *very* strongly of Velvet, and as it dries a woodsy smell (hello teak!) starts to come out and it smells even more like Velvet. To me, this is not necessarily a good thing, as Velvet smelled rather musty on me and I ended up swapping it. That same mustiness is creeping in here -- chocolate and wood is just not a combination I care for.

This is a dark, slithery, sexy blend that would be great on the right person, but I'm not sure it's for me -- which is a shame as I had high hopes for it! I'll give it some more thought before I decide whether to pass it along or not.

/orgasm :P

omg this is good...

Bottle - To me this smells like when you take a big bite of really creamy delicious chocolate and kinda suck and chew on it a bit. Its so thick and at first i don't get any of Snake oil's spices. The rice milk is lovely and complements this so well.

Skin - The spices and vanilla of snake oil start to slither out as soon as this touches me but they entwine with everything gorgeous in this scent. It sheds its foody skin and becomes spicy vanilla and milky chocolate, such a beautiful combination. This has the most snake oil smell of any of the snakes i have tried so far.

My favorite snake so far. Will definatly be getting more.. mmmmm aged... :D

At first try of a decant, back in January, I liked this, but not enough to order a bottle.

Or so I thought. Something made me curious, and I pulled out my now nicely aged imp. :D Just like my love affair with Snake Oil, it needs some age on it. It is thick dark chocolate, to me not foody in the slightest. It's incense, smoke, sex and high end chocolate. It's a bit messy - stains my skin, but I won't wear it in a locket since it needs contact to do that voodoo that Snake Oil do. It morphs, it wafts, but stays close to me like a lover...feeding me dark deep chocolate.

My new fresh from the lab bottle? eh. But give it a few months... :P

Oh my.

In the bottle: Serious Chocolate, lightly spiced. A hint of woodiness.

On the skin: A beautiful complex cocoa scent which is reminiscent of my beloved 13 (April 07), but without the mintiness. A sharp, almost alcoholic quality as it lingers in the nose. This is intriguing, and very addictive. I can't stop sniffing!

Drydown and fade: Cinnamon and Tootsie Rolls! But in a good way! I love this stuff. Very sexy. I think it would be wonderfully enhanced by layering after a shower with Villianess "Black Out". Mmmmmmm. Must get a big bottle before the Carnaval leaves.