Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

If you are allergic to chocolate but can wear scents with it where it isn't so prominent, avoid this. I couldn't even rub it in and had to wipe it off because it was so itchy.

COCOA, Snake Oil, and rice milk, and teakwood shavings way in the background. Trying to be sweet, kind of plasticy. Like the smell of a full plastic trick-or-treating bucket. This would probably be much more interesting without the cocoa.

Silky bitter cacao absolute bolstered by a bone-dry teak wood. The rice milk note seems like an after-thought, gently smoothing out some of the edges but not really prominent in my 4-year-old bottle.

The Snake Oil hums along just behind, neither overpowering nor being overwhelmed by the additional notes.

The overall mixture is one that is dark and luscious but not quite foody or sweet. Well balanced enough to not feel overtly gourmand unless someone reads the notes to you.

This is interesting. The rice milk was drowned out by the cocoa and teakwood, and Snake Oil itself didn't last very long on me, maybe an hour? If this didn't have Snake Oil, I might have liked it better. But since I knew it had that in it, I was expecting more of it to show up on me, and I definitely wasn't expecting it to fade as fast as it did.

I'd still try this out if you really love Snake Oil. I'm unsure of the age of my partial decant, but this could fare better if it's newer or something. Definitely great for chocolate lovers, this is the first BPAL I have tried with chocolate in it and it is wonderful!

I’m a little surprised I haven’t reviewed this one yet. It’s definitely a favorite!

Smooth, cocoa laden Snake oil with soft rice milk and just a hint of teak. My bottle is aged well and all of the notes including the teak have softened over time to create a snuggly, warm, sexy, spicy cocoa. I wear this one before bedtime as it is comforting and helps soothe my nerves🥰

Wear if you want to feel like you’re wrapped in a cuddly, cocoa-vanilla blanket hug.

I bought mine in 2007 when it first came out, and it smelled so much like Snake Oil on me that I shrugged and set it aside and mostly forgot I even had it.

I put it on last night after pruning my stash and HOLY HELL it is good. I tend to like fresh Snake Oil over aged but this? This has aged into something sweet and comforting and sexy and it lasts. Most older oils vanish pretty fast after being applied but this one goes all day and smells so warm and perfect.

First applied it's spicy and I can really smell the teakwood and milk and spices. But after a couple of hours it's dark chocolate and the spices and incense from Snake Oil; a few more hours and it's vanilla and warm skin. When I first bought it, I didn't think it would become one of my top three favorites but I'm so glad I didn't sell it.

Wet: Cocoa...a wet and creamy cocoa, like melted chocolate ice cream or unfinished hot chocolate that has gone cold. There's a hint of something else in there too.

Drydown: Aha! It's amber I think, or whatever's in Snake Oil that smells amberish. There's defnitely some shifting going on, as the notes battle it out for dominance. I'm mostly getting sweet cream (the rice milk and vanilla), a rotation of snake oil's secrets (amber one moment, spices the next, incense the next, ??musk after that??), and the original cocoa note, which has been fading its way out of the mix.

Dry: The cocoa has become dry and regained some of its strength. Teakwood has saddled up next to it, lending an earthy, at-times-almost-coniferous, comforting woodiness to the blend. The snake oil has settled down into a musky support note. The most prominent note might actually be the rice milk, but it has such a gentle nature that it's not really obvious. The overall impression is dusty, resinous, soft, and milky.

8 out of 10 bones

Tested a 2019 decant.

I really wanted to love this because SO and most SO blends do not work for me, and cacao is my jam. I almost thought I had one here, but it disappears on my skin.

No boom in my Boomslang. 

ETA: ohhhhh I see I see. I got my hands on a 2008 bottle, it went on like hershey's syrup and smells like a dream. Cocoa Snake Oil.

New edit! It's 2024 and I got a new label bottle secondhand and it's dreamy. Not sure if it's pre or post 2022 SO, but I like it better than 2008 🍫. I think now that I am no longer expecting this to be especially foodie or even gourmand, I am happier with it. It's sweet, and there's a cocoa note, but it's not really choccy. I am getting a lot more of the teakwood in this now and I enjoy that too.

Anyway I have been on a boomslang journey, and I like where I ended up!

Edited by LavenderCoffee

Reminds me of the megasized chocolate bar snake oil! Chocolate with lots of snake oil spices, but this one has a present ricemilk note. I like it, although the ricemilk might throw some people off. Not much teakwood on me.

Lots of the lab's dusty dark chocolate note here. The teakwood blends in with the dark chocolate very well. The rice milk is keeping things from being too bitter. I don't get more than a whisper of Snake Oil vanilla, but the musks and patchouli from Snake Oil are definitely present and adding an interesting layer of complexity.

I love the lab's chocolate notes so this is a winner for me!

I can pick apart the notes easily, honestly. It’s not a very deep review. It is however very pleasant, the rice milk give it a soft, light edge.

I wouldn’t give this ‘spicy snake oil chocolate’ though, i’d go for more floral snake oil chocolate’.

Ok to preface: my bottle is 15 years aged. I had to let it rest a bit because the initial whiff was play-doh-y, and it was play-doh-y on my skin too. But trying it a week rested- oh my god. This scent is multi-orgasmic for me. I knew I loved most snake oil blends but the 2008 iteration?? Jesus. It’s like the coziest, warmest, sexiest hot chocolate scent ever. Take hot chocolate and add super aged, slinky, spicy snake oil, and combine them. The throw on me is huge and so is the longevity! My mom, who normally never comments on my ‘fumes unless she HATES or LOVES them sniffed me and said “oh WOW! That’s so pretty” So I think this ones a winner. I’ll covet it forever.