Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

2016 version!

In the bottle: I'm scared of this because it really does smell just like a spicy, dry, dark cocoa. Chocolate notes NEVER work on me.

Wet on skin: The cocoa is definitely present, but isn't turning sour like it usually does on me. The Snake Oil is very very obvious, but the teakwood and rice milk definitely warm things up and keep the cocoa and Snake Oil much smoother.

Dry, after a while: Warm, creamy vanilla-heavy Snake Oil is prominent. Teakwood and just a breath of deep, dark, dry cocoa ground the scent and keep it from going too powdery or sweet. It's a very dark, warm, gentle scent. I really like it!

2016 version:

Hello gorgeous! Wet, this is very reminiscent of Velvet without the sandalwood: strong vanilla cocoa with just a hint of spice. Once it dries down, it's the closest to Snake Oil Plus of any of the snakes I've tried so far this go-around: creamy Snake Oil with a hint of cocoa. I don't think I'm getting the teakwood at all, but I don't mind; this is really lovely.

YES! Act 3 has returned and I bought an obscene amount of 5 mls because the snake pit is infamous, and what else am I going to do with my money. Nothing.

Snake Oil is mostly my HG, so I wasn't too worried about any of these going funky on me. I figured I'd like most, if not all of them.

In bottle: Cocoa! A thin mint/peanut buttery scent! I'm getting that peanut scent I think from the spices of Snake Oil/chocolate.

Wet on skin: Careful! It stains orangey a bit. I think for the very first time I am getting the play doh scent people always talk about! I don't get this with regular Snake Oil. It also doesn't really bother me too much, as I know it's a thin wisp of a phase and I only notice it when it's close to my nose. So far, just dark Snake Oil! I like the cocoa, I kind of wish it were louder and fudgier! I can definitely tell that I am wearing a different oil though. I can smell the teak I think...its woody and sharp. Its pretty rad because it gives the decadent cocoa/vanilla spice a good balance. Not getting the rice milk...yet.

Dry: I get rice milk! It turned the cocoa into a chocolate milky creamy scent, with Snake Oil strong underneath. I think I need to wear this more before I decide if I need another. So far, Snake Oil is better to me...only because all these notes are so incredible in Boomslang but I don't really detect any of them as nicely as Id like. This scent to me is mostly Snake Oil.

Can't wait to let it age!

First of all, I love how dark this oil is - it is very much a cocoa color. Wet this was very cocoa with a touch of powder and teakwood and spices in the background, but as it dries, it becomes less foody and more complex, like can't even describe, it changes a bit each time I huff, some notes more prominent than others, but I can't stop huffing which is usually a good sign.

Wand: The oil is sable-black. I sniff. Oh my god. I think my eyes just popped out. I give it to a coworker, and her eyes pop out. This is good. Deep, enveloping cocoa, powdery, just a little creamy, on the spicy vanilla of Snake Oil.

Wet: Beautiful spiced, powdery cocoa, the one to make me forget I don't like foody blends. The Snake Oil is easy to smell through the Boomslang additions. Barely getting teak, and no rice milk yet.

Dry: Balls. The fabulous spicy cocoa smell doesn't even survive through drydown on me. There's still a little oil sheen on my skin, and the best part's gone. All that's left is a very weak Snake Oil, and maybe a breath of rice milk when I look for it, and then another 10 minutes... and it's mostly gone.

When I layer this on three or four times, it hangs around very faintly. A ghost of its former self. The sadness is real, because it's just not enough.

(2016 version) This is lovely fresh Snake Oil in a beautiful cocoa cloud. I was instantly in love, but unfortunately this goes a bit powdery/play-dough after it dries. No bottle for me, but I'm very jealous of people that can wear this.

I am usually not a foodie fan, nor am I *gasp* a huge fan of Snake Oil. I'm kind of hard core on my incense smells, and while Snake Oil is pleasant, to my nose, it lacks the oomph of other incense blends I prefer. That said, all the hoopla around Boomslang made it a must try.

I actually really like it in the bottle. I can smell all four notes, and the cocoa smells like what's found in Tezcatlipoca, a favorite of mine. It isn't foodie, and the rice milk is an interesting note I'd like to see more of. Unfortunately, all I get when I put this on my skin is plain ol' Snake Oil. During dry down there is a brief point when the rice milk struggles to the surface, but it quickly dissipates. Ah well.

2016 version

In the decant all I can smell is the cocoa note. On, the cocoa and the rice milk start out very strong and then calm down as the snake oil comes out to play.
Definte bottle purchase but I already knew that

Editted to add: Although I do wish it would last longer on me, this is gone within a few minutes. Aging, perhaps will help that.

Edited by Joyleaf_

Wow, it's really a dark oil! I'm very fair of skin so it does stains haha

In the bottle : dark cocoa and spices♡

Wet: dark cocoa+ SO.yum! Then..it disapeared after 5 min! O.o

Dry: Aaaaahhh there you are boomslang! It has hidden itself about 15 min only to make a glorious comeback, all strong and soaked with rice milk. This result in a perfect mix of dark spiced chocolat milk with a somewhat dry vibe- teak maybe?- I want to eat my arm XD

8h later: all that remain is a delicious, but faint vanilla :)

This oil is so dark!

In the bottle: super dark, dry cocoa. Incredibly rich and bittersweet.

On wet: The cocoa is still strong, faintly sweetened by SO. Also distinctly getting creamy rice milk.

Dry: Cocoa is softer, with a little bit of spicy-sweet SO. Rice milk is also present. The teakwood gives this a smooth, polished vibe (slithering?). I'm thinking with a little time the SO will get stronger but it is a beautiful scent as is.

2016 version

In the Bottle: Snake Oil and cocoa. :)

Wet: Yep smells snake oil and cocoa. The cocoa is wonderful with the snake oil.

Dry: I'm unsure of what rice milk smells like, but I know I smell the teakwood now with the snake oil and cocoa. I am liking this blend very much. Its a wonderfully spiced cocoa scent with a little added woodsy-ness to it. I may need a full bottle. We shall see. :)

2016 Version~Blind Bottle Purchase from the Lab based on my love of Snake Oil.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Yep-Snake oil, vanilla and dark cocoa.

WET:

Dark oil! Beloved Snake mixed with cocoa and horchata!!

DRY:

All the sexy goodness of Snake Oil mixed with delicious horchata and cocoa.

NOTES:

This is definitely Snake Oil made foodie. Not that it's completely edible, but the rice milk, cinnamon and cocoa give this a velvety smoothness that happens when your have the perfect cuppa warm, hot cocoa with a giant dollap of sweetened rice milk cream.

Boomslang is epic

RATING:

:heart: 10

Edited by Jenjin

I only have the new version 2016 so do not know how it ages, but this is gorgeous!!! cocoa and spices with some vanilla sweetening the whole. If you are not a fan of snake oil don't worry, try it, it's sure to surprise.

Edited by aylafr

Unlike the trickier blends, this is pretty straightforward: sexy snake oil with yummy chocolate. The ricemilk adds a softened, cream touch and the teakwood just adds to the sexiness of the snake oil. Very yummy.

Ok I'll admit, this one really scared me because I HATE snake oil, but I was just too interesting to me because boomslang literally translates from Dutch to treesnake.

I don't hate it, to be honest/suprisingly. It's kind of a watered down snakeoil to me. Wouldn't neccesarily say the cocoa is really cocoa if I wouldn't have read the notes; it's got a bit of a dusty feel to it, more then cocoa, but maybe that's just me.

A tad sweet and soft snake oil. Not bad!
Not for me though, as much as I don't hate it. I wouldn't wanna smell like this, but I can see how people just love this. :)

I've had the 2016 version for nearly a year and finally testing it today!

In the bottle it is thick and dark, strong cocoa and spices.

Wet it is dark chocolate and spices and... toilet cleaner. Oh dear :/ Perhaps this is the teakwood and spices mixing? Thankfully it isn't very strong!

As it dries the powdery note comes out and then fades back again, and the faint toilet cleaner/incense smell recedes.

This is nice but I would prefer more cocoa. Can't smell any rice milk. It's a very warm and comforting scent, though, very cuddly <3 It does make me want to age a bottle of Snake Oil and layer it with El Dia de los Reyes :)

In the bottle: cocoa, intermingled with vanilla and rice milk.

Wet on skin: It starts off as a very concentrated cocoa, which is noticeable right upon application (it's rather sticky, too!). The oil itself is chocolate brown. I get some spiciness, possibly from those Indonesian oils, whatever they might be. Rice milk gives it a lot of creaminess so that the perfume becomes foodier than its older cousin Snake Oil but also smoother.

Dry on skin: it doesn't morph to much but it does get less sweet with time. Cocoa is present throughout but rice milk goes away in favour of teakwood. It gives off a polished, warm quality. However, this wood doesn't have a homely scent; it's rather dark and mysterious. Like that big wardrobe in your strange uncle's house in which he stores various peculiar items. Cocoa works with it nicely.

It's straight-up cocoa with snake oil. I don't get the rice milk or teakwood but that's fine with me (actually I would have loved a noticeable rice milk, that sounds awesome) the mix of Snake Oil and cocoa is amazing!

I imagine this will age to be a prized possession

Snake Oil with chocolate! Not much sexier than that. This could be my Snake Oil!

Edited by gloame

I adored the original and the new version does not disappoint.

Chocolate snake oil with a cool vibe (almost minty in feel like others have mentioned). Some teakwood coming through but no rice milk that I can identify.

I really need to get a bottle because this one ages spectacularly.

Cocoa over a base of Snake Oil, and a whiff of rice milk. It's the chocolate Snake Oil, and if SO is your jam, and you like chocolate, then obviously this is a good thing. SO is not my jam, and it smells like a very good chocolate still. Medium throw and wear length.

Finally I get to try Boomslang! The oil in the imp is very dark brown; only if I look closely do I see that it's not uniform. I roll it carefully and apply. Yep, that's Snake Oil and dark chocolate all righty! Yummmm. In a moment I can smell the teak; I'm not sure I ever make out the rice milk in this one. But I completely understand why this is so beloved.

Then, within 45 minutes, my skin just eats up the cocoa note, and all I have left is Snake Oil. Which I expect will last until tomorrow, but I wanted chocolate snake oil. I'm thinking that with my skin chemistry I might do better to layer Snake Oil with something like Gelt-Smeared Dreidel to get a similar effect. Oh, well, I'm delighted to have tried it.

New version:

This was always tempting to me but sadly when I finally got a bottle it wasn’t all love. It was very powdery Snake Oil and not much else. There was a light hint of chocolate but it didn’t last. And the whole scent was gone in 30 minutes. Also it stained my skin brown!!! First oil to ever do that! Love the label though. Pretty snakey.

In the imp: Snake oil with chocolate syrup. I've never had an oil as utterly opaque as this before! Usually at least a little light can get through in an imp, not so here.

Wet: Snake Oil, cocoa, and just the barest hint of teakwood. I think the rice milk is what's making the cocoa lean more milk chocolate than dark cocoa powder, but it's not specifically distinguishable. It's a very warm and creamy chocolate that brings to mind the river in the Wonka factory. I love how the SO spices play with it. Good throw.

Dry: Unfortunately this is a fleeting romance for me. The chocolate does not last very long, and as it fades it steals away most of the spices with it, leaving me with SO that is--for the first time for me--powdery and dull. It lasted barely an hour, and while I'm sure I could get more wear out of it if I slathered I'd also greatly increase my chances of stained skin.

Probably my favorite SO blend that's available year-round, it's easy to see why it's a favorite of the Snake Pit. But with it being as ephemeral on me as it is, I don't see myself reaching for it instead of longer-lasting SO blends that I enjoy just as much.

First time trying an oil with cocoa in it so wasn't sure what to expect. Gave it a good roll, made sure I had some of the dark cocoa oil flecks on the wand before applying. Straight away I can smell the chocolate, Snake Oil and a healthy dose of vanilla. It also smells very nutty which I'm guessing is the rice milk. It's actually reminding me of a Bounty- the chocolate bar with the coconut. Yeah, the creamy nutty rice milk is definitely reminding me of coconut! As it dries down the chocolate does fade and I'm left with mainly Snake Oil. I never really pick up on the teak. All in all, this is a really nice Snake Oil variation- less strong on the vanilla then regular Snake Oil for me but I really enjoy the creamy chocolate/ rice twist :)