Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

Testing Boomslang finally confirmed that unfortunately the Lab's chocolate note hates me. :cry2: All I got was musty dusty old chocolate, and I mean OLD chocolate. Then Boomslang disappears within half an hour. *sigh*

In the Vial: Oh, yes. Yes, yes, YES! This is orgasmic. Snake Oil and smooth, sweet chocolate, just slightly woodsy, with something my mind is perceiving as black musk, but must just be a trick played by combination of notes. It's thick, heavy, sweet, sexy, languorous, and utterly indulgent.

Wet: The Snake Oil and cocoa really battle it out on my skin, while the other notes cautiously take a step back. Something oh so slightly bright and sharp makes an appearance, making me think of vetiver, but which I know isn't vetiver because I hate vetiver but I still love this. All in all, it's definitely becoming something more lively than that languorous scent it was originally.

Dry: The cocoa appears to have won the fight for about five minutes or so... and then Snake Oil delivers an unexpected roundhouse kick to cocoa's face. Strangely, the throw is still rather chocolately, while up-close it's all Snake Oil. I'm getting a bit of a black licorice note, which my mind is definitely connecting to Snake Oil, despite not usually thinking it smells like black licorice... so maybe it's one of Snake Oil's mystery notes being brought out by the other notes? The dryness of the teakwood is also coming out more and giving the blend a warm, cozy feel.

An Hour Later: It's gotten rather faint for a Snake Oil blend; they usually stay strong on me for hours. It's a softer, smoother Snake Oil with just a hint of cocoa and teakwood left. Reminiscent of Black Temple Burlesque Troup and WILF.

Overall: Love love loved it in the imp, but it morphs a little too much on my skin. Going to give it a few wears before deciding whether to order a bottle once the Carnaval comes back to town.

Sniff: Chocolate with something slightly tangy.

Wet: A milk chocolate bar swirled with spices! I'm normally not a fan of the lab's chocolate note, but this one might actually work?! This is warm and dusty, the cocoa is more bitter than sweet and there's something quite earthy about it.

Dry: Resinous and spicy vanilla, with a toasted cream note that's almost like caramel. Unfortunately there's just a hint of the odd sour note that my skin does to chocolate. If it weren't for that, this would be pure heaven. Even with that odd note, it's still pleasant and delicious. Just not something I could wear all the time. Alas, Boomslang, you are almost the chocolate blend that could....

In the imp: Promising. Verrrry chocolatey. I roll the imp a few times, but a thick and stubborn sedimentary layer remains at the bottom. There is A LOT of cocoa in this, and the oil is the colour of chocolate syrup, no lie. Very thick. Goes on very dark, with fine particulate left on the skin.

On, wet: I... what? I'm getting... grape. Grape soda and Rolos. This is bizarre.

Unfortunately, the grape soda hangs around. There's some sexy Snake Oil underneath, and the cocoa is very creamy from the rice milk, but this weird fake grape is hanging over everything. I haven't had my skin react this way before to any of the listed notes, and it's deeply perplexing. Maybe this is how my nose is reading the 'sour' or 'black licorice' note others have mentioned?

After a few hours the grape has mercifully faded, but by that time so has everything else. I'm going to have to try this one again, because I'm baffled.

Guh.

It took me a bit of rolling to get the oil to blend- in the bottle initially there was a separate later of deep, dark, chocolatey sludge. :yum:

On, I get heady Snake Oil with a cocoa undertone, but as it sits on my skin it becomes really well-rounded and creamy, with the rice milk and teak grounding everything. The wood keeps it from being over the top sweet. This is gorgeous.

Snake Oil is my fav and I was dying to try boomslang.I finally got around to a decant of it and I had to test it twice before I could built and opinion about it.

My decant is quite aged. about 5 years old.

In the bottle: Spicy Chocolate

On me wet: Smells like Velvets middle part on me. Powdery spicy chocolate.

On me dry: Quite the same

About 1 or 2 hours later: It mellows down to a beautiful dark liquid spicy chocolate. The one you would poor on your desert. The snake oil came finally out to play as well but it is a very silent little snake. maybe because its already old and doesnt has all his teeth anymore.

Verdict: Yepp, this and green tree viper are a definate in my cart from the snake pit when the carnival is back in town.I really want to smell and wear both fresh but i also already know they are aging beautifully. I was first dissapointed beeing so simular to velvets middle part. but while velvet dries down to a beautiful spicy powdered real cocoa powder, boomslang is more of a liquid spicy chocolate. I would never purchase simular scents but they are different enough to be both a very certain future bottle purchase. Now I am waiting for the carnival to be back....

Chocolate-y snake oil! The cocoa and rice milk tempers the snake oil base a bit, so Boomslang is wearable a lot sooner than straight Snake Oil is for me. The only downside of Boomslang is that the oil is very dark and stains like the devil, so I only tend to wear it when I wear dark clothes. This is one of the few scents I have backup bottles of. :)

Chocolate + Snake Oil = love. This is rich, nommy chocolate over a base of Snake Oil. Glad I have 2 bottles!

in the bottle: luxurious, indulgent hot cocoa!

wet: chocolate spice! <3 Smells like how curry infused chocolate tastes, with a hint of warm vanilla. Kind of powdery, but in a good way!

This is a very comforting scent indeed! My only complaint is that it fades very quickly and I have to reapply every two hours or so to keep smelling wonderful.

Edited by Maleficium

This is lovely...I get a pretty balanced blend of Snake Oil and chocolate, though the chocolate fades fairly quickly on my skin, leaving a lush "creamy" snake oil behind. I can't really pick up on the Teakwood or the rice milk (unless that's where the creaminess comes from...)

In any case, if this ever becomes available again, I am 100% buying a bottle...or two..or three.

:wub2:

Edited by sharkdiver

Sniffed: Warm, rich, gorgeous Snake Oil with nutty cocoa.

On skin: When wet, Boomslang is Snake Oil with a subtle nutty-woody tone from the cocoa and teak. A lighter note, which must be the rice milk, gradually emerges with drydown. Now SO retreats into the background and acts as a base; cocoa and teak mingle and lend a dark, "matte" tone to the SO; rice milk morphs in and out, occasionally lightening the dark base with its light, milky touch. Over time, rice milk and teak gradually take over the scent, even overwhelming the cocoa, to become something merely light and milky. While Boomslang is a pleasing scent, it's considerably less complex than SO. The extra notes don't distinguish themselves or embellish SO properly; instead they flatten out the rich, full-bodied base into something quite nondescript.

Verdict: A resounding "Meh". Boomslang did nothing to distinguished itself or improve upon Snake Oil. I'd built up such a high expectation after reading all the great reviews, so this was overwhelmingly underwhelming. Mehh! :huh?:

In the imp: Delicious spiced dark chocolate

Wet: Rich chocolate with a touch of baby powder.

Dry: All Snake Oil. Snake Oil tends to smell like baby powder on me, but in a completely good way. The chocolate completely disappears when this dries on my skin, but the lasting scent is a stronger, better Snake Oil. Love it!

in the bottle: chocolate! dusty dark chocolate with a little bite of something spicy. not quite snake oil (yet).

wet on my skin: gods, i want to eat my arm. delicious rich, dark chocolate with smears of snake oil over the top. sexy, foody, warm, inviting and distinctively BPAL.

dry on my skin: mostly snake oil, as others have mentioned. there is definitely another dimension to it though. i can smell the wood more now, which is adding a dark depth to it...and although neither the chocolate or rice milk are perceptible individually, there is definitely a sweetness to the scent that can only be these foody elements.

bottom line: i am SO glad i was able to snag a few bottles of this, even though i found BPAL after CD had gone dark. i will absolutely treasure them and cross my fingers for a reincarnation!

notes: i tried this a few weeks ago and didn't really like it...i am currently ovulating, so i am wondering if skin chemistry and hormones didn't throw me for a loop earlier. i'll have to make a note that this may be one of those "certain time in the cycle" scents.

I thought I'd reviewed this already, but can't find it...

In any case, I liked this well enough when I first tried it - I couldn't detect the Snake Oil at all, which was good because I'm iffy on Snake Oil. When this was new it was all cocoa and something almost caramelly -- I guess the vanilla of the snake oil. It was so good!

When I started wearing it again, at least a year since I've regularly worn it, the Snake Oil is far more prominent than the cocoa and I don't love it as well. I'm hoping that was a fluke, but I'll be testing it again to see. I'll be very sad if this is now chocolate Snake Oil instead of lightly Snake-Oiled cocoa!

Received a half-imp of this as a lovely lagniappe in a swap ... and while I am sure I am not adding anything to the thread that hasn't been already mentioned, in the interest of continuing reviewing and revisiting everything in my collection, here goes (I actually had an imp or a bottle of this at one point, when I bought a few of the Snake Pit scents upon original release, but apparently never reviewed any of them):

IMP: Deep spicy cocoa Snake Oil.

Dabbed a single dark brown stripe on one wrist pulse point and rubbed them together.

WET: Snake Oil on its own tends to make me slightly queasy though I actually really like the scent, but the cocoa and the wood in this takes that "too sweet" edge off when wet and is pretty damned divine.

DRY: Once it dries down, the Snake Oil takes over and doesn't let go. There has not been a moment that my wrists have not been piping up saying "I'm here! It's me! Snake Oil!"

Just a LITTLE too much throw for me, even though it's throw that I like.

OVERALL: 3.5 as a perfume.

But since it's only a half-imp, rather than putting it in the swap pile I think I'm gonna turn the rest of it into lotion with unscented Aveeno. I suspect it would make a lovely and luxuriant lotion.

I snagged a decanted imp

Wet: This is snake oil. Only more dark and heavy.

On my skin: The labs chocolate note usually likes me. This does not I don't think. This note smells like sour saliva. Behind the chocolate messiness is a soft creamy....something. It's not the vanilla from snake oil. It's something all of it's own. It's sort of circling the scent and rounding it out. Ohhhhh but that chocolate note is awful on me. Oh good grief I hope it calms down. Snake oil is still there it's very strong like snake oil always is.

A few hours later...

This is not so bad. The chocolate went powdery and that was a major improvement. Now Boomslang smells more like a lovely aged snake oil. Nice throw and decent staying power.

I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I'm not sure I would ever need a full bottle but I do like my imp decant. Once the chocolate calms her ass down, this is really very nice.

Alright, I got a bottle from the lovely fluorescein. Mind you, I have no clue what Snake Oil smells like at all... @.@

In Bottle: Chocolate, well Cacao really, I think I smell some woods in there!

On the skin, wet: Cacao and wood! I have no clue what teak wood really smells like, but it's like a calmer more sweeter cedar. Which is good, because I wouldn't be able to wear this around some people if it was cedar. Poor Allergy sufferers! There is a creaminess to it, possibly from the vanilla that the snake oil has? I haven't an idea what snake oil smells like! So, I go from reviews for it. There is patchouli in this, but it's light at the moment.

On skin, dry: The throw is good and lovely as well as the Patchouli coming out to play. Vanilla is mingling sweetly with the Cacao as they dance upon the woods! There's something lingering in the mid-front though, and I'm going to assume it's the milk? All in all, I really enjoy this scent and do hope when the Carnivale comes back... This too comes back with it!

Note: This oil is dark like WHOA. I can't see through the bottle it's so dark. And it also stains my skin worse than straight SO.

In the Bottle: First sniff - OMG CHOCOLATE MOUSSE. Then: Snake oil, drenched in the most perfectly delicious, creamy chocolate desert. Yum!! :D

Wet: Very chocolatey straight off the bat. The cocoa is immediately apparent but settles as it dries. There's a slightly medicinal note that I'm attributing to the teak, but it's still veeeery nice.

Drydown: Deliciously smooth aged SO with light, creamy milky chocolate on top. Unfortunately there's also the teak still lurking just in the background, and it's still producing a slightly sour medicinal note. It's very faint though, and doesn't quite ruin it for me :D.

Verdict: Love this. The teak note is unfortunate, but faint enough for me to keep the bottle :). Yum!

4/5

I was finally able to test some Boomslang! I'm a fan of snake oil blends, so I knew it would be a winner. Testing Boomslang actually reminded me quite a bit of #occupywallstreet with the cocoa and warm patchouli. It didn't last as long as some snake oil blends do on my skin, Womb Furie particularly, but it did hang around for a while.

I'm looking forward to the Carnavale coming again, because this one is definitely bottle worthy.

In the imp: Snake oil, chocolate, and rice paper.

Wet on skin: Snake oil, chocolate.... and dirt?

Dried down: The teak is stronger now, but it's giving this a sourness I wasn't expecting. And it's not meshing well with the snake oil and chocolate on my skin.

Throw: A little, not much.

Verdict: *** Wow. Well, that wasn't what I expected. I guess there's at least one really popular LE I can cross off my list.

Was lucky enough to receive a sniffie of this in a swap, and I'm pretty excited to try it, especially since the Snake Pit should be the next act re-released in the CD line-up.

Wet: Pretty amazing. This is so aged and thick and glorious. Snake Oil with Cocoa is an amazing combo. This isn't that far off aged Snake Oil. I can pick up the cocoa for sure, but not much, if any, of the other notes.

Dry: This ends up just smelling like beautifully aged Snake Oil on me. I think the Snake Oil is so powerful it has dominated all the other notes. I may seek a decant of this fresh when the Snake Pit comes back around, just to see, but I don't think I will need a bottle right away. I already have aged Snake Oil, plus another bottle aging, hard to justify more at this point!

ETA - 2016

Wet: So amazing. I LOVE the combo of Snake Oil and cocoa. I am praying that the previous version I tried maybe didn't have a ton of cocoa in it (totally possible, as I have seen the way it can separate in the imp/bottle) and that it will stick around once dry. I want to smell like this all the time. I think I can pick up the teak in this too, and something sort of florally creamy, which may be the rice milk? Mmm, this is actually better, more complex than the aged version I tried, which really smelled ended up just smelling like Snake Oil.

Dry: Snake Oil Maybe a touch sweeter, and I do think I can still pick up a hint of cocoa, but it's still mostly Snake Oil. I need to do a side-by-side test to see if I am crazy about that or not. Make no mistake, I love it, but I also love plain Snake Oil.

Edited by LizziesLuck

This is the 2016 version.

I did leave a feedback somewhere back here.....but this is the new version and was excited to smell this fresh from the Lab since I missed the CD when I got into BPAL and I was lucky to get Boomslang before, but of course, they were all aged. I gave this a good roll.... it needs it!

In Bottle: Mmmm.... smells just like the original version. Gooey, yummy, cocoa and Snake Oil.

On Skin: Not as thick and dark brown as the older version I have (guessing that is the aging of it) but it smells just like the older version...maybe a hair lighter and more Snake Oil than cocoa for now, but not much.

Dry down: This is JUST as amazing as the original... this, I am sure, will age just like the old ones. Back-ups..... this is worthy of MANY back-ups!! :) Those of you that missed out on this the first time or couldn't find any. GET IT!

Edited by Numanoid

2016 version.

Note: I have not tried the original release, but I do have the v2 prototype.

In the bottle: Cocoa Snake Oil! If I inhale really deeply, I can smell the teak as well. This is probably the Snake Oil-iest of the five snakes that I ordered, and the main difference from the v2 prototype is that this has a cocoa note instead of a milk chocolate.

Wet: Cocoa and Snake Oil, indeed. This is definitely the most Snake Oil heavy of the snakes I ordered (Asp Viper, Coral Snake, Cottonmouth, and Green Tree Viper were the others). Then, I get the rice milk. The teak note is present, but not as strong as the other notes.

Dry: The Snake Oil won out. It smells just like fresh Snake Oil, but with some cocoa in the background now.

Verdict: I am not a big fan of fresh Snake Oil, but I love it when it is aged. I like it now, but I know it will be even better over time. I'm glad I bought a bottle to compare to my bottle of the prototype!

My first impression: This is chocolate Snake Oil and I want to bathe in it.

My lasting impressions: Chocolate and cocoa notes generally trample all over everything else when I wear them, but that's not the case with Boomslang. I'm not really sure what teak and rice milk notes are like, but they're in the background behind cocoa and all of Snake Oil's vanilla and spices. Snake Oil, on me, is a scent for all times, seasons, and situations, and I think Boomslang will be the same way even though she's a little more mysterious. I'm still getting to know her, but upon first glance she is Snake Oil's sister who drapes herself entirely in deep red silks from head to toe. In spite of the cocoa, Boomslang is less sweet than her more famous sister and she stays closer to the skin. As she matures, I hope she will stay this rich and smooth.

Boomslang is what I have wanted every chocolate or cocoa scent from the Lab to be, but somehow none of them have been this good on me before.

My special skin chemistry oddities: Thanks to hormones, my skin is so volatile that I never know whether a scent I love is going to turn funky tomorrow. I'd be willing to take a chance and buy multiple backups of this, even if I have to wear it in a scent locket or in my hair.

On me, this is Snake Oil with extra powder and an acrid note. I suspect the teakwood.

I gave the decant to my ex and he texted me "*This is just an imp of Black Silk that someone spilled Ovaltine on.*"

(Black Silk is his HG so...I guess that's positive :D .)