Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax.

This was mostly Snake Oil (with the same sharp edge that I dislike) with a hint of coconut in the background on me. It's okay, but not really my thing. Edited by porcelain

Wet this is Snake Oil and dusty coconut. When first on it's faint Snake Oil with a hint of dry/dusty coconut. This feels light brown. After a while, the coconut becomes creamier and there's a hint of sugar mixed in too. So far this has been the softest and faintest of the Snake Pit blends that I've tried. It's still lovely and I am curious to see how it will age :P

This was the thing that smelled the most orgasmic from my last order - but only while in the bottle!

Initially it's this sweet yet dark coconutty snake oily..SEXY blend.. Unfortunately the minute i put it on the sweetness disappears, and i just get dusty old coconut. Given more time i get that nasty raw potato smell that Centzon Tototchtin used to morph into on me :D

Fortunately it wasn't the only snake i bought, and i'm getting on beautifully with the other two! :P

Bottle: Snake Oil with a whole coconut dumped in.

Wet: An odd, dark, slightly bitter coconut. Coconut amps to ungodly proportions on me so we'll see how that pans out!

Drydown (first): It reminds me quite a bit of Brown Jenkins, with the coconut bittered by other notes. I can just about smell the vanilla struggling to get out, but it's mainly slightly bitter coconut.

Drydown (later): Wow, what a morpher! This has gone very sweet now, with what I think (and hope!) is the murky opopanax in the background.

Dry: The scent has balanced. On me it's a murky, slightly dark vanilla blend with a dollop of slightly bitter coconut balancing on the top. There is a little dark opopanax underneath. I can't detect any amber or spices (in other words, no Snake Oil) in this at all.

Dry (later): It hasn't changed much from the earlier drydown. It's murky and sexy while still being sweet - very "me" in other words :P A clear winner here, Beth!

Edited by Jenesis

Well this one is interesting. It's quite strong. It has a definite Snake Oil base with a liberal dose of rich coconut. I'm not usually a big coconut fan, but I thought it would be nice with snake oil, and it's lovely. It's sweet and rich without being cloying. Wet, the vetiver is very, very sharp, and is in stark contrast to the coconut. It dries to something that smells a bit like burnt grass. I really don't care for that, but after about an hour, the burnt quality recedes, and it's a faint, grassy undertone to the Snake Oil and coconut. After a couple more hours, the sharpness of the vetiver came back slightly, but remained in the background.

Throw is good, life is quite long.

000tyxbb.png

Edited by naeelah

I mostly get the vetiver in Death Adder for the first hour. It’s very harsh with the Snake Oil. However, the coconut and vanilla soothe the bite of this perfume. By the four-hour mark, Death Adder was simply dark, spicy vanilla with a hint of fresh coconut.

I have to say that Death Adder has changed my opinion about the Snake Pit after the disappointment of Habu. I’m not sure if this is a bottle-buy for me, but I will definitely enjoy my imp!

Smoky coconut and vanilla, resins, musks. This sits so well with Snake Oil, and then... and then... POW! I am punched in the gut by mean old vetiver. This was so close to my grasp, and then it was gone. For those that don't mind vetiver, I bet this is a strong winner. :P

I really get the black coconut in this as well as the opoponax. It starts all spicy and resinous and "warm," then changes to be a more baby-powdery (it's the snake oil) and "cooler" with heavy coconut. Except for the baby-powdery-ness, it reminds me slightly of Snake Charmer---only the coconut is heaveier in this blend on me. We'll see if it gets more powdery later.

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

Tried a bit on my wrist today. In the bottle, I smell a bit of coconut and vetiver, so I was a bit put off at first, but decided to try it out. I definitely liked the drydown. It's Snake Oil, of course, but doesn't have the powdery/incense-y note I get with Snake Oil. Very vanilla and a hint of spice. I like it!

Adding this to my list of Must-Have bottles :P :D

I love vetiver, but it's clearly a masculine scent, and I could never pull it off.

(This was made more evident to me when I tried Anathema (vetiver, honeysuckle) - it was pretty at first and then turned straight-up manly man after like a half hour and I was so sad!)

No more tears - Death Adder has taken vetiver where it needed to be in order to work with my chemistry! Snake Oil + vetiver = Kissy Kissy Love Love!!!

It's basically the luscious, seductive Snake Oil that I love so dearly spiced up with the gingery sharpness of vetiver. It balances quite nicely on my skin! I'm so happy that it's working on me.

This would probably work on a man, but it's appropriate for me, so I'll keep it as my own : -)

This was the first out of the Snake Pit I had to have and the one I ordered a bottle outright. The coconut is what sealed it for me and although vetiver and I have a very shaky relationship, I figured I wouldn’t let it stop me from potential bliss. I have never tried Snake Oil but the notes listed seem to be things I could get behind…it just seemed too good to pass up.

Initial sniff from bottle: Vanilla maybe??? Some spices…coconut??? So far so good..and I don’t get any of the gritty vetiver just yet. Don’t get me wrong..I can tolerate vetiver in certain dosages..but when it’s overwhelming it becomes too aggressive and unpleasant in a sour dirt sort of way..best way I can put it. BUT..I digress..so far this smells good..a bit foody..but not in cloying sweet manner.

Applied wet on skin: Sweetness..coconut..and I get the vetiver now..though playing nice on the tail end. I like it.

Couple of minutes on skin:Smells like almonds and sweetness..a bit of spice maybe??? But I don’t know what type though..and the coconut that was a bit more pronounced in the bottle and at first swipe has settled in with the vanilla…creating a very nice duo…the vetiver lending it’s earthy/gritty hand in the back..but not punching out the other notes…it’s still playing nicely. I like this very much so far.

Fifteen minutes later: This shaped up to be pretty flawless for me; it’s a dry slightly sweetened coconut with the vanilla and the vetiver grounding it the way vetiver can..without the sour note. Since I don’t know what’s in Snake Oil I can’t comment if I do or don’t smell specifically it’s notes..but what I can say is that whatever that heady mélange outside of the creamy mint that was in Green Tree Viper-I smell it here too. If that’s Snake Oil..which I am pretty sure it is..then it smells wonderful on me so far. No plastic/play-doh notes going on so far.

I looked up Snake Oil and my description read “Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla”. Not very specific and I suppose that’s intentional; in any event I can see why so many people find it fabulous.

Drydown: This settled into skin scent with echoes of the vanilla and coconut with a faint tinge of spice. I really like how the vetiver worked in this blend and with my skin chemistry; it gave this potentially SUPER foody fragrance grit and subtle shadow that worked so well on me.

Lasting power came in at about 5+hours with throw average.

Bottom Line: Another winner for me coming from the Snake Pit; I like this for fall and winter and will slate it for rotation. Love it. :P

In the imp: YUCK. I detect sharp grassy notes (vetiver?) and nothing else.

Wet: Now I can smell vanilla. But I can barely smell it or anything else for that matter. It's almost like I don't have anything on at all. Weird.

Dry: (Note to self- do NOT put more of this on because you don't smell it on your wrist wet. It gets stronger as it warms up and dries) Holy moly, it's wonderful. Lovely Snake Oil and warm vanilla. Exotic. Husky. Enticing.

I'm in love. I adore this.

In the bottle: Snake Oil with a hint of smokiness

Wet: Mmmmmm. Snake Oil+ ; I'm just beginning to smell the coconut. Sweet vanilla and just the right amount of spice.

Drying: Kiss, kiss, kiss. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Smoky sexiness.

I wish I could be a bit more descriptive. I absolutely love this oil. Of the Snake Pit oils I've tried this my even surpass Boomslang, my current favorite.

Wow. This smells amazing on me. Perhaps I don't dislike vetiver. Perhaps I just thought I disliked it because so many people seem to. Anyway, this smells really complex. Something that doesn't make you think "perfume".

Bottle: Dark Sexy Snake Oil

Wet: This is a darker blend than I usually wear. It's dark and herbally. I see someone who wears a lot of black being comfortable wearing this.

Drydown: I think it's the vetivert that I'm having trouble with, it's just not my scent. I'll try again next week when I'm less hormonal, but I don't think it'll change. :P

3.0 outta 5 because I'm sure the blend is brilliant on other people.

Soft Snake Oil+ Coolaulin (Lush's yummy) coconut-and-vetiver conditioner). Slightly earthy and smoky, this is one of my favorites of the Snake Pit!

In the bottle - strong scent, I can see how people might describe it as medicinal. The vetiver is heavy but as I continue to inhale deeply this scent becomes very smooth and sultry. As I move the bottle away from my nose I swear I can pick up just the faintest bit of coconut

Wet on skin - Strong and maybe a bit masculine. The original vetiver starts to let up after a couple of minutes to let some of the vanilla and spices through

Dry on skin - Possibly my favorite scent so far. Dark and smoky and warm and wonderful. Love it! :P

In the bottle, it smells like a vetiver punch to the face! I know a lot of people have said this, but wow. They aren't kidding.

Wet: lots of vetiver at first, with a hint of coconut. I do hope that this develops to be more than just vetiver, but the other snake pit blend I've tried (Green Tree Viper) did the same thing where it started as just MINT and then developed into awesomeness as it dried, so I'm not worried.

Dry: Even though I still haven't smelled Snake Oil other than once on a friend, I can smell the common element between this and Green Tree Viper and I love it - I really do need to get some Snake Oil. I don't know that I've selled opoponax before, so I don't know enough to pick it out, but the sweet, spicy vanilla comes out as the oil dries, and I can smell just a hint of coconut as well. The vetiver is the clear star here and I just love it. This is just further proof that vetiver works really well on my skin.

On me, Death Adder is simultaneously sweet, dark, and sensual. I bought this hoping it would work well but not entirely sure, and I'm glad I took the chance. This is a clear winner for me.

bottle: because there is vetiver and coconut, this ends up smelling like dried coconut on first sniff.

wet: sweet vetiver with a dollop of snake oil dusted with a light topping of coconut shavings.

dry: so now this smells like coconut snake oil being slowly boiled down to something thicker. the vetiver smells just exactly how i always want it to: smoky without being chokling. this is so delightfully mysterious.

In the imp, this is all Snake Oil and vetiver.

On my skin, it's Snake Oil plus vetiver - two not-so-great tastes (for me) that don't go great together.

When it's dry, it's Snake Oil plus vetiver plus a hint of vanilla of coconut. Definitely not for me.

I have no idea what snake oil smells like, having never tried it, but I do smell the coconut. I'll have to procure an imp of snake oil and make a proper review of this later, but I do have to say now that I love it!

Mmmm! This reminds me so much of how my ex boyfriend smelled the night I met him, and it's all the black coconut. I only wish it lasted longer on my skin, but I look forward to wearing it on hot summer nights.

I am not too sure about this one- it starts off with a vetiver smack in the face. It jumps into my nostrils and tries to shove itself down my throat. After a bit, the vanilla and coconut warm up and elbow their way to the fore. And that is not necessarily a bad thing... except that now Snake Oil is screaming at me. It's just too much heaviness. I feel like I am going to suffocate. If I could cut the strength about 30%, it would be incredible. As it is? I'm too young to die.

ETA: Interestingly enough, 2 hours later, the fragrance is no longer trying to strangle me. I now smell tobacco. And snake oil. But it's lost its voice and is just sitting peacefully. This isn't so bad after all...

Edited by voodoocatwoman

First Impresson: A complex, rich and creamy blend - but nothing stands out.

Dries down to: There's little change - it's just softer.

Additional Comments: I was surprised to see there's coconut in here. I love coconut and usually spot it right away. I'm guessing the vetiver is stifling the coconut. The end result is lovely but, unfortunately, it's very light and turns muddy fairly quickly. This was the one Snake Pit blend I had high hopes for, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Lasted: 2-3 hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Bottle: Sharp and intelligent black milky husk and vetiver. Vetiver and I don't get on very well most of the time so I was worried about this scent, but the coconut and vanilla lured me into a false sense of security.

Wet: A deeeep undertone of vetiver, layered with sweet vanilla and coconut.

Dry: Woa. I could sniff myself all day long. The vetiver creates a rooted stage for the vanilla pixies and coconut ponies to prance around. There is an air of humid spices, but it's away in the distance like a long lost memory.

This is a soft and extremely well blended scent. Each note compliments the next. I am surprised, I expected it to be harsher and truer to the venomous species named but it's not. It's graceful, intelligent and mature.