Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax.

In the bottle: I was terrified after reading these reviews--I have plenty of vetiver. However, what I smell here is very balanced. I get a hint of vetiver, but there's also the coconut (giving a bit of Perversion to this), vanilla and general Snake Oil-ness.

Wet: The coconut and opoponax are really strong. This smells a lot like Perversion on me, with a bit of green from the vetiver. I'm so glad I like this so far...I was concerned about the Snake Pit, since while I don't dislike SO, it's not one of my 'must have' blends. I love this variation though.

Drydown and wear: This continues to be a blending of Perversion and Snake Oil on me, with the slightest whiff of vetiver at the end. I wish it wasn't quite as much like some other oils I own, but I think that, as with all SO based stuff, aging will give it a unique quality.

First review, simply because I'm absolutely in love and I had to share.

This is the first of the Snake Pits that caught my eye because I adore vetivert. I also love vanilla and coconut (though black coconut is new for me).

Originally after putting it on, the vetivert seemed a bit overbearing. However, it only took a few minutes for it to calm down and let the vanilla and coconut peak through. I must confess I'm not familiar with opoponax . . . It's not sweet, but one of my first thoughts after waiting a few minutes to sniff my wrists again was "mm, creamy, a bit spicey, and warm". I suspect that's from the coconut and vanilla. But the vetivert is still there (yum) and together they blend wonderfully. I love that I can catch each of the notes on my skin . . .

I'm pretty sure I'll need a bottle of this. :P

Edited by angelfish323

In the bottle: Vetiver

Wearing: Vetiver. I actually really like vetiver, strong vetiver even, but I think there is not enough balancing it out here. Strong throw.

One hour later: Hmmm, I can actually smell a bit of the black coconut and vanilla coming through. Unfortunately, black coconut can go a bit odd on me (burnt and smoky) and it does here too.

Two hours later: Getting some of the Snake Oil backdrop.

Conclusion: It just never really melds together on me. A bunch of notes jostling

around on top of my beloved Snake Oil.

This one surprised me. I didn’t even want to get it, because I thought I wouldn’t like the coconut, but what a surprise! In the bottle, I get vetiver and coconut, which is really quite delicious.

On, the vetiver doesn't overwhelm (but I can always wear vetiver, so....). Instead, it softens what might otherwise be too sweet. On me, this is like a coconut creme brulee, but not too sweet. Really nice. One of my surprise faves of the snakes I've tried.

at first: mostly vetiver.

on: all vetiver.

1 hour later: mostly vetiver with a tiny bit of vanilla in the background.

2 hours later: very dark with tons of vetiver.

3 hours later: a lovely, sweet earthy scent with just a hint of vetiver.

overall: this is ok, but has too much vetiver for me.

THis is definitely heavy on the smoky, darkness. I am surprised to see an extra shot of vanilla in this, along with coconut, because this is definitely a dark, woody, smoky vetiver heavy blend on me - with the ocassional whiff of the sweet sensuality that is Snake Oil. I like it, but it is not in my top loves of the slithering snakes...

Heavy GORGEOUS Snake Oil (smells aged to my nose) with coconut and incense - I don't get any vetiver until the drydown. Maybe my nose just got used to a lot of vetiver and does not notice it as much.

Dry, this is Snake Oil with vetiver, coconut and what must be oppoponax - I freakin love this sexy scent :D

ETA: Settling on my skin now and I get even more of the herbal, grassy vetiver with Snake Oil and I love vetiver :P . This wafts like crazy - use with caution!

Edited by Dark Sparkle

I love vetiver, but I hate coconut, so this was a hard choice for me whether to launch straight into a bottle or go for a decant. I went for a decant first. And now...I need a bottle!

I love the sweet, brown, earthiness of vetiver and this is my favorite kind. It reminds me a bit of Death Cap -- rich, thick humus-like earth, sweet and crumbly. But the Snake Oil layer transforms it utterly, and it is not simply an earthy scent intermingled with the complex thick tangle of spices, oils and vanilla that Snake Oil represents.

I don't really smell the coconut, which is a good thing, but I think that other people might be able to pick it out on me. This is a lot like Death Cap layered over Snake Oil might be, I think, but with an added but of earthy sweetness and a touch of smoke.

I'll be going back for a bottle of this, ASAP. How is it that I was never wild about Snake Oil, but these variants are just soundly kicking my ass!

When I first got this, I thought the vetiver might be too strong and that it might not be well-enough integrated. However, after about two weeks . . .

I am in LOVE!!! This has become the one I keep reaching for even when my mind thinks I want to wear something else.

The vetiver has settled in with the other ingredients, and it is luscious, earthy, grounded Snake Oil. The vetiver gives it a slight, raspy edge that I really like. I do get some coconut, but it's subtle and plays well with the other notes. It adds richness rather than standing out on its own.

This is Snake Oil for when I'm feeling more quiet and subdued. I agree with others who have suggested that this Snake Oil might have started out more aged.

There will most definitely be at least one more bottle before CD comes down.

In spite of the dreaded vetiver, I had high expectations about this one… coconut, vanilla and opoponax, it could very well be heaven in a bottle.

In the bottle: the first time I sniffed it, I thought “eek”, but it was very early in the morning, so I let it rest for a while. The second time, I had a wave of the wonderful Bpal coconut (for the record, I used to hate coconut but Bpal note is just delicious).

On my skin: sugared vanilla and coconut. Very, very pretty, very, very girlie. Not a hint of vetiver so far.

After a couple of hours: it gets… dirtier. But in the good way! It’s damned sexy! I still recognize vanilla and coconut, but now there’s something more… probably the Indonesian stuff in original Snake Oil. The more I wear it, the more I like it.

Verdict: yes, yes, yes!! I have to try and combine it with snake charmer, I’m quite sure it could be marvellous!

In the vial:

Woah. Already vetiver? Hang the eff on and back up a little!

On me:

That initial whiff that was entirely vetiver kind of worried me lol. I don't mind vetiver at all, but when it takes over, it isn't my favorite. Luckily, when this hits my skin - my fears are put to rest! That GORGEOUS coconut and vanilla smell FANTASTIC. It's light, creamy, tropical smelling. Not nearly as heavy as I thought this scent would be. The coconut in this is exactly like the coconut in Eden, so that this scent comes off smelling like Eden + Snake Oil. It's a sexier Eden.

This is deep, sultry, sexy - there is a sort of deep resinous vibe underneath this as well without it being incensey. It definitely has tropical vibes in my opinion. Simply gorgeous.

Final note:

I am actually VERY surprised that more people are not going crazy over this one. I think it's simply gorgeous and oh so sexy!

At first it's all vetiver, but now it's almost all burnt coconut and vanilla, dark and sexy and lovely once the vetiver chills out and goes soft.

I may not need a bottle, but I'm definitely keeping my imp!

A.

:D

Vetiver is my mortal enemy.

Death Adder is the blend that made me like vetiver.

:D

This is vetiver (because my skin amps it) swirled with vanilla and wrapped in a thick coat of Snake Oil. Dusty and dirty and downright sexy. I would love to smell this on a guy. I think I may put a bunch on my hand when my DH isn't looking and then smear him with it. :P

I imagined Death Adder would be kind of a dark and dirty blend, but what it most reminds me of is Lush's I Should Coco soap.

That's fine since I love that soap but it was kind of a surprise. The vetiver in here is not of the dark motoroily variant and resembles more the dusty grassy vetiver from Lush products, too, so that's probably why. The black coconut smells sort of pink-ish to my nose, and altogether this is a powdery girly scent to me, not a dark and menacing one. It feels a bit calming instead.

I really like this, though, and would be happy to get my hands on a bottle.

oh how i love this. :P

at first it's pure coconut and a vetiver, but not too heavy on the vetiver. once it's dry the vanilla comes out more and balances out the other notes. now that it's been about an hour, it sort of reminds me of black pearl with earthiness from the vetiver. i am so glad i took a chance on a bottle of this!

Yeah, I'm going to join in the general consensus that this is one of the big winners from the Snake Pit. The very first sniff on my wrist was pure vetiver, which was a bit much, but it softened quickly; still lots of vetiver (which for me is okay), but it's also clearly related to Snake Oil, which I haven't found to be true of all these blends. A little whiff of coconut, and vanilla emerging as it dries. Kind of dirty, dark/sweet, rounded, very nice indeed.

Death Adder - the name reminds me of a demon math function but the perfume smells great. (And the label is so much prettier without a murderous accountant!!)

The addition of coconut fits so well with the indonesian theme of the SO, and the vetiver keeps things from becoming overly sweet. This is definitely under consideration for a big bottle.

Death Adder is Snake Oil's combat-booted deathrock younger sibling with a bad attitude and a gentle soul.

At first sniff from the bottle, it's all harsh in-your-face vetiver.

Wet, more sharp ass-kicking vetiver, tempered by black coconut which manages to be sweet and lush and creamy without losing its edge.

As it dries down, the extra shot of vanilla comes out, giving this blend a sweetness; the opoponax adds a dreamy, dark quality and the Snake Oil base is its dark, spicy, sweet-yet-dangerous self. The vetiver and black coconut are still there, but are more balanced with the other notes. The angst-ridden goth teen has become comfortable with herself and mellowed some, without losing her edge. I can't wait to smell this one in a couple of months when the Snake Oil has aged some. Death Adder is a surprise hit; I imagine it can only get better.

I'm not afraid of vetiver!

Good thing, too, because Death Adder pretty much slaps you in the face with it. Once it dries, though, it really mellows out. You just have to get through the first few minutes.

Dry, this becomes a beautiful woody vanilla and gets better with time. I got a little of the coconut (dry, not sweet coconut), but that was gone pretty quickly. Mostly, this is a deep, earthy vanilla.

In the imp: It smells damp, cool, green. I really love the way the decant smells in the imp!

Wet: Coconut & vetivert, right off the bat. But then it starts smelling like "wood" - not fragrant wood, but like a pile of lumber on my skin. Hmmm.. not crazy about this phase of it, and my husband gave it a thumbs-down, too.

Dry: Like the other Snake Pits, the Snake Oil comes out more as it dries. Hours later, when completely dry and after it's had time to develop, it's actually a really nice coconut blend, and I like it. Unfortunately I'm not sure it's worth waiting through the weirdness of the wet phase on my skin. Other people might have better luck!

I was a little wary of the vetiver in this, but it's actually a pretty smooth blend of coconut and Snake Oil, with the vetiver just adding to the complexity of the scent. And, big bonus, the coconut doesn't turn all plasticky on my skin! Definitely hoard-worthy. :P

Yum yum. This is such a gorgeous blend for vetiver lovers (like me), but haters should still give it a try, since the vetiver is not overpowering.

Imp: the woody earthy vetiver, unsweetened coconut, a hint of floral

Wet: Oh WOW! the SO base immediately emerges, and everything just blends together beautifully, seamlessly.

Dry: to me, this is like a more sophisticated and grown-up SO. It's smoky, earthy, spicy, sweet, sexy = all at once.

Only problem is that I found a slight twinge of play-dough in the SO base scent, but I think aging will cure that (or perhaps it's ttotm)

Bottle! :P

DEATH ADDER:

Imp: The glory of black-n-white moving picture shows! The darkness of vetiver and opoponax against the cool smoothness of coconut and vanilla. I feel dirty sniffing this :P and I love it - applied to the middle of the left forearm

Wet: Same, love it.

Dry: Yep, Snake Oil, dark and dirty.

1hr later: Mm, the seedy side of Snake Oil. I really like this.

Verdict: Keeper.

I wish i got all the "sexily dark n'dirty" results that everyone else is getting, but I don't. :P The vetiver is too loud and up front for my liking, and although it was softer when it dried, it was still VETIVER and little else. I only like vetiver when it's a background note, not loud and bold like this. It just smells like dirty vegetation to me. Sadness, I wanted to love all the snake pit blends too!

Bottle: slightly sweet vetiver and....hm. something. the opoponax I think.

Wet: same, but darker. it'll be interesting to see if vanilla and vetiver duke it out for ebil supremacy. I'm putting my money on vetiver.

Dry: interesting, the vetiver started in the lead, but that vanilla is amping like a sonofabitch and they are a damn interesting combination. it's pretty much just them at this point, with a hint of the coconut that wanders in and out of the fray.

Later: vetiver is morphing like it usually does on me, and the vanilla isn't keeping it as much at bay..I think vetiver is winning by a nose, but only because of the morph. I knew this wouldn't work, but I just had to see the fight! :P