Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax.

in the bottle: Snake Oil and vetiver. smoky! :D

wet on skin: more of the same- it's interesting how the vetiver and the SO are keeping each other balanced- the lovely Snake often overpowers whatever it's mixed with.

dry down: vanilla and Snake Oil, with the vetiver keeping everything in balance.

in all: while not what i expected from this blend, i am unbelievably thrilled with the result. and knowing how Snake Oil ages so fantastically, i think i'll likely get a back up bottle to have later, when it gets even better!

:P

Wet this is all vetiver and snake oil. Once it dries down the unmistakeable scent of black coconut mingled with vanilla and opoponax really come through. It leaves behind a slightly smoky, dark vanilla snake oil with coconut. This is really, really good. It is resinous, foody and snake oil all rolled into one, I love how the vetiver keeps this from being too sweet, and black coconut enhances the vanilla and spice of snake oil.

Oh me oh my, I'd avoided trying this scent because I love Snake Oil and I didn't want it ruined by my old nemesis, coconut, nor tarnished by my difficult relationship with vetiver. I was able to do a swap with a wonderful forumite, and picked up a bottle of this, presumably to give to my husband. HE'S NOT GONNA GET IT! :P

Why? Because in the bottle and initially on my skin, the scent is largely like Snake Oil, if perhaps a bit turbo-charged. I think that must be the vetiver amping in the background, but it never overwhelms the Snake Oil. Yay. That alone was good enough for me, but then, after a couple of hours, the scent does the most gorgeous morph. It turns into soft Snake Oil, a sweet, burnt sugar note and a waft incense smoke. Holy crap, it's lovely. I am not only keeping it for myself, I'm going to get MORE.

(BTW, I ordered a bottle of Dragon's Musk for my husband and he owns more bottles of BPAL than I do, so don't feel sorry for him!) :D

In the Imp

Snake oil and vetiver. This is a rich smoky blend in the imp. My skin sometimes has issues with vetiver so I hope this blend works out for me.

On My Skin

Wowza! This is incredible! It’s a deeper, more complex version of snake oil. The smoky element is still there combining with the vanilla and snake oil to create a really stunning blend. I hope this doesn’t turn screwy on me because so far this is one of my favorite snakes.

After a Bit

Three hours later and this blend is still going strong. The coconut has died out but the snake oil and vetiver is still going strong. The vetiver in this blend isn’t as harsh on me as it is in other blends. I’m getting a rich smoky blend rather than a nausea inducing nightmare.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 3.5 Throw - 4 Longevity – 4

Overall (not an average) – 3.8

Final thoughts

I don’t think this is something that I would wear into the office, but this is definitely a blend that I would dab on for a sexy night out. A little bit goes a long way as this blend has great throw and lasts a long time. I think I may have to get a bottle of this before the Carnival leaves town.

forewarning: i don't much like Snake Oil, so take my reviews with that in mind. this is one of the snake pit scents i've been avoiding trying - even though i've had this bottle for nearly two years - because i haaaaate vetiver and really dislike coconut.

on skin, wet: black pepper and wet cardboard

on skin, several hours later: black pepper, wet cardboard, and cedar-shavings-hamster-bedding

verdict: keepin' an imp, bottle's headin' off to a new home with someone else.

I don't know what's up with me and the Snake Pit, but the ones I expected to adore just aren't working out so well. I love Snake Oil to death and the other ingredients in here are all winners. I just don't smell much of anything though with this one. A bit of vetiver when wet and a bit of an Elegba-type coconut but no Snake oil! Wierd. An hour later I'm getting more warmth out of the coconut but it's so faint I really have to snuffle my arm. I'll try this again later, but it's the same problem I remember having with Western Diamondback - low to no scent.

Unfortunately I can't smell ANY of the dark yummy stuff I was hoping to smell here. All I get is Snake Oil, with maybe a hint of coconut. The vetiver didn't come out on my skin at all.

In the imp,the Snake Oil factor is most obvious, but then, this sample has been aged for 12 months, so it's not entirely unsurprising. I really can't smell anything other than that. And in the imp it's thick and syrupy...gotta love what a little ageing can do.

Wet, the snake oil is still there, but the coconut has made it's appearance. And you know what? I like this coconut...coconut on me normally turns instantly candylike on me, but this is gorgeous. Oooh, and what's that scorchy note coming out? Well...hello vetiver. This is beautiful so far. My fingers are crossed for no nasty morph.

Dry, the coconut seems to be fading and the vetiver is there in all it's glory, more than ably balanced by all those gorgeous Snake Oil spices. This. ladies and gentlemen? Is love!!! Shall definitely be needing more of this one!!!

Before Death Adder I never, ever knew how delicious and amazing coconut could be.

At first it's all dirty vanilla, delicious and slightly herbal. In this stage it smells the most like Snake Oil to me, but amped up patchouli and vetiver rounding out the vanilla sweetness. Shortly after the coconut emerges, reminding me quite a bit of the same feeling and scent I obtained from the original Snake Charmer years ago, warm, buttery, black coconut that is hardly sweet at all.

Death Adder is gorgeous, balanced, and very, very sexy.

Vetiver at first as always when it's involved but not as sharp and not for as long as usually either. I don't mind vetiver anymore, actually i'm growing to love it more with every application on my skin. In this one it gives way to snake oil with a serious twist. It's absolutely gorgeous, a darker approach to snake oil.

It's a new fave already. Yes my fave room a crowded room by now but this one is a given. It's also the dark side of SNAKE CHARMER and the light side of SCHWARZER MOND (both RES versions though because I never got my hands on an original). We could be looking at a back up before CD goes down. Man this is wonderful stuff.

Lush's "Nutts" massage bar induces cravings for a creamy vetiver scent every time I use it after baths, so naturally my hungry eye turned to Death Adder. :D

The coconut here makes me think "heavy metal Snake Charmer" at first, but really Death Adder is a much creamier and smokier scent. You probably have to enjoy vetiver, though! ;) As always, that aggressive note lays waste to everything else in the beginning before it finally calms down. The Snake Oil base lurks very far in the background this time (only pokes its head out to lend a bit of its tell-tale spice after more of the vetiver burns off) and it's more just... smooth and dark vanilla and non-foody coconut, all wreathed in smoky vetiver. :wub2: I really don't have any other way to say it! I really enjoy this one, and I may even spring for a backup when the time finally comes for the Carnaval to move away.

Edited by MisterShrapnel

I have to review this after a very pleasant experiance I had with it today!

When I first sniffed this one I was very unsure I like vetiver but thiis was sorta sickly in the bottle.

I decided I would keep it and try it another time coconut and vetiver is a great combo like in lush with coconut powder and I should coco.

I was going out to meet my friend for a drink lasat night and just grabbed deathadder and slathered it on when I got in my cab it was buzzing green earthy smokey sweet beautiful all night this beauty lasted while I danced drank and stood with my friends who smoked it even lasted the walk home!

It remained earthy sweet the whole time it didn't morph or change at all :)

Well this evening so 24 hours after I applyed it I put my hoody on from last night and OMG a beautiful strong woft of smooth coconutand vetiver! It like I had just applyed it to my hoody!

I am in love with this I only got a partial bottle so now I'm on the look out for MORE!

This is heavy with vetiver and coconut to my nose. This adds a smoky aspect, and the coconut and the vanilla that comes out later add extra creaminess. It is sexy, and dark.

I tried this one on as soon as my package had arrived and got smacked with a very bitter vetiver (maybe the opoponax) that made my nose cringe. :rasp:

I let it settle down for a couple of days and gently rolled it before dabbing it on my wrists and this is everything I hoped for after reading the reviews. Coconut and earthy snake oil. The snake oil comes forward on the dry down but I still have enough coconut to make me huff my wrists. :lovestruck:

Ooohhh la la! This starts off a bit too vetiveriffic, but that burns off quite quickly revealing the most incredibly well balanced, tempered coconut and spice blend to ever grace these seasoned nostrils. I would LOVE this for summer. More, please! :joy:

Sniffed in the bottle: Snake oil and vetiver, and cloying sweetness. Very dark and smoky/ashy.

In the bottle: Vetiver & black coconut, not foody coconut.

Wet on skin: Vetiver, black coconut, and smoky vanilla underneath.

Dry on skin: This blend turns into a drier smoky Snake Oil, with black coconut, on my skin. It's lovely and sensual.

Final thoughts: I like this one! :wub2: While it's not my favorite snake of the Pit (King Cobra is!), it really is a beautiful, sexy, intoxicating blend. I've pretty much loved all the snakes that I tried, and this one is definite love! Yay!

Lovely, one of my favorites from the Snake Pit. I really only like the Snake Oil scents with some age behind them, but once they're aged I sometimes find the vanilla of the Snake Oil a bit sweet. Death Adder is the perfect choice for when I want the rich sexiness of Snake Oil without the sweetness. The coconut isn't foody at all (to me), and the vetiver, which I sometimes find a little strong and masculine in other scents, perfectly "darkens" the blend to compensate for the sweetness of the Snake Oil on my skin.

This is strong on me and overtly sexy. I would never wear it to work and probably wouldn't even wear it socially in a crowded space or small room, since the throw is significant. But for nights bar-hopping with the girls or wandering around downtown, it's perfect. I'll be stocking up on at least a couple of backup bottles and look forward to even more aging on this scent.

My first impression of this scent is vetiver, vetiver, vetiver. Then a hint of vanilla, followed by a hint of black coconut, and more vetiver. It's a nice scent, but maybe a bit too masculine for me.

Inside the bottle, I sniff vetiver and coconut.

On my skin, vetiver and coconut are top notes. Vanilla is there, but lies in the background. Vetiver used to be a guaranteed death note on my skin, but I am noticing that with the right combination of notes, it smells rather nice on my skin. Snake Oil comes out on the drydown. :wub:

This is a wonderfully masculine blend, but not so masculine that it can't be worn by women as well. It's a lovely "dark" Snake Oil blend.

Vetiver,vetiver,vetiver..how I love thee!!!!!

Death Adder is my new obsession. I want to slather it from head to toe. It is pure heaven in a bottle!!

And to the previous poster who mentioned Skinny Dip/trichomania as a good compliment for Death Adder,you were SO right on! My favorite layering technique right now is Skinny Dip buttercream with Death Adder. Vetiver heaven.

First sniff - Vetiver. Deep, rich, delicious vetiver.

On the skin - vetiver for sure but mmmmmmm warm vetiver, not the pungent, earthy vetiver. This is blending into my skin so beautifully. It smells rich and warm and musky without being that generic 'soft musk' that I can't stand. I'm getting an amber-musk type vibe from it.

I've read about people talking about blends that sink into the skin vs. sitting on top of it and I really wasn't sure what exactly that meant, but now I think I get it. As it fades away it smells sweet, warm, musky, and just a little woodsy.

Edited by strahlend

Death Adder came very close to ending up dumped into the 'Sell It/Swap It' box, to sit with the other redheaded stepchildren of my bpal collection (the fact that there is not much in this box has as much to do with the quality of Madame Beth's artwork as the fact that I am a bit of a hoarder). The fact is, I have issues with Vetiver. My skin chemistry amps it like whoa, and the vetiver becomes a complete attention whore to the point that you literally cannot smell anything but vaguely weedy, dry, pungent grassy weirdness. So that was what I smelled at first with Death Adder: vaguely weedy, dry, pungent grassy weirdness. This was not what I wanted. I wanted Death Adder bacause I wanted coconut-vanilla Snake Oil, thankyouverymuch. My thought was, I loves me some SO, I really loves me the Lab's black coconut note, and vanilla is always good on me. I'm not sure what an opopopowhatix is, but it can hang so long as it doesn't harsh my coconut-vanilla mellow. Vetiver, you can add a little bite, but otherwise try for once to sit quietly in the corner. When it was the Vetiver Show again, Death Adder went into the box. And stayed there about six months. Till I pulled it out and tried it again. And what a difference a few months makes! It is now exactly what I wanted, coconut vanilla goodness with the base of SO and just a wee bit of interest from the vetiver. Little 'v' vetiver, instead oF super big 'I am Lady Vee, beeyotch! Y'all better recognize!"

So in six months, it went from total ew to total win. Don't give up!

This is one I should have reviewed a while back. I purchased a bottle off the sales page here, so I don't know how aged it is.

Whatever age, it's divine.

In the bottle, it's snake oil + something tropical. That's the coconut.

Wet: it's snake oil plus coconut plus something dark.

Drydown: This does not go into the powder/semi play-dough stage that Snake oil goes through before it becomes lovely. It's a blend of sophisticated coconut and dark vanilla and all the lovely spices of snake oil. I'm guessing the dark is vetiver. I'm also learning that opoponax is something that makes all oils great on my skin.

Overall: one of my favorites. Not just of the snake pit, of everything! It's warm, dark, sweet and complex.

(decant)

This is soooo good. I'm not getting such a screech of vetiver as some people have described, which is good. But I'm also wary, as I want an immediate bottle of this, and I'm afraid it might be too different from this decant.

I love BPAL coconut, and Death Adder delivers big time. The coconut is dirty and earthy and a little smoky, so I think that's the vetiver coming in to play. The vanilla is pretty heady but it's not cloying or plasticy, just creamy and sweet. I'm not familiar enough with opoponax to detect it here. And underneath it all, smooth beautiful Snake Oil. And all the best parts of Snake Oil, too. None of the medicinal smell it opens with, and none of the powdery drydown it sometimes takes on for me. (Note: I haven't had the pleasure of sniffing aged SO, but I suspect that it loses those aspects when aged. So this decant may also be aged.)

If I had a complaint, I'd say this is a touch too foody, rich and creamy. But there's a good bit in here that keeps it just on this side of an actual foody scent. And anyway, who can complain when it smells this freakin good?

Edited by MamaMoth