Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Heretic

Hunger Moon

... Ozone, white sandalwood, crystallized white amber, verbena, oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of white citrus rind.

Another winter Lunacy that doesn't love me! :P

Including White Moon, the winter lunacies have either gone sour or cloyingly floral or heavy on the pine on me. Hunger Moon is no exception. In the imp, it's lemony fir. Applied, it's snow covered lemon trees over a bed of pine boughs.

I love Hungry Ghost Moon, but this and Snow Moon just aren't for me.

ETA Lab description Edited by Shollin

at first: bright, white, and ozone-y.

on: ozone and bitter citrus rind. i can just barely smell some light amber underneath.

half an hour later: smooth sandalwood, light amber, and bitter citrus.

1.5 hours later: sweeter citrus with some nice sandalwood.

3 hours later: powdery sandalwood and bitter citrus still.

4 hours later:a more biting bitter citrus with some sweet sandalwood underneath.

4.5 hours later: there's a bit of a vegetable-like undertone to this now.

6.5 hours later: powdery and a bit citrussy.

overall: this is interesting. it has an asian sort of vibe to it.

780751707_bSDif-Ti.jpg

Rats. A Lunacy which just isn't kind to my Body Chemistry... and that just guts me, because I want to love all the Lunacies! After reading the reviews for this one, I was happy to snag a bottle unsniffed because I love, love, love Snow Moon and all the people who sniffed a likeness just thrilled me.

Argh (and that's not a good pirate sort of exclamation, but the disappointed, saddened sort). Lemon-scented Aftershave! And lots of it (lemon). Woe is me. :D

In the imp: Lemon, but not too bad. I also smell a bit of the clary sage, I think, but certainly no sandalwood, nor much of anything else. Uh oh. :D :P

Wet on skin: Eek! ;) Lemon, lemon, lemon. Lemony McLemondrops. :D

Dry: I had to wash it off before it dried. I literally couldn't fall asleep until I got this off me and rubbed lavender-scented lotion all over myself. Ugh, lemon anything just amps up unbearably on me unless it is just the slightest whiff of a dribble. And in this Lunacy, there's too much. :D

Verdict: Into the Sell/Swap/Gift pile.

:)

And I have to admit, this really makes me nervous for when Hungry Ghost Moon comes up, since so many said this was it's 'more mature brother,' or other words to that effect. I don't another Lunacy to dislike me so! B)

Edited by stellans

Hunger Moon - This is a scent that smells of the end of winter, of fields of frozen tundra and trees that have been bare of their leaves for months on end. It is a stark and clean scent. The various notes in this scent are almost impossible for me to identify, even with the description list right in front of me. There's a very distinctive pine note and behind that, the strongest notes are the sage and ozone, with the sweetness of the citrus searing through the scent randomly. The words "stark" and "bare" keep coming to mind as I smell this scent. It's really different from Beth's other winter scents, as it has a sweetness to it that does not come from the evergreen aspect of the blend. It's positively gorgeous and one I'm keeping in my collection.

This smells very thin. It invokes an image of an earthen-toned cord, stretched taut, wrapped around an icicle glistening in moonlight. This would be the smell of a lone wolf howling -- forlorn and morose.

In less abstract terms, this blend smells very bright and sinewy, with minimal throw. I can smell the white citrus rind and "crystallized white amber"* getting along quite well, as well as some other notes I can't identify. (Does ozone smell tangy? Anyone?) I wish I got more clary sage, but alas. It smells much more robust during drydown.

I won't wear this often, but will probably wear during summer when I find myself longing for snow and ravenous somnolence.

*I'm assuming it's white amber, as when I exhale through my mouth after smelling my wrist I smell something powdery.

I agree with edenssixthday that this blend smells like the end of winter, barren and frozen. It is a stark and clean scent. The snow and pine are the most prominent for me at the beginning and then I get the verbena peeking out, making it a lemony/citrusy sort of cold morning.

It is sharp. It is bare. It is also 'hungry', in the sense that the absence of things makes you feel 'hungry' or incomplete.

I don't do well with the desolation of winter, and that's what this scent feels like on my skin. It's an amazing olfactory experience in that perspective, but for me this isn't a userfriendly scent because I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. Which is sad, because it really does smell lovely.

Again, proving that I'm so not a winter person. I wish I were (sometimes).

(This is one of those times).

I decided that my brain needed a break from studying for just a little bit, so I'll exercise my nose instead *grin*

In the imp, I get something that makes me think of how salty ocean breezes make my nose feel like, if that makes any sense at all. I'd have no hope without the notes listed of working out what was in this though, but with the notes, I can smell something that makes me think citrus rind. There is a distinctly ... white feel to the scent.

Wet on skin, the crunchy salty feel is less prevalent - it's as if the salty crunchy crystals have been dissolved into something, and they're just adding a touch of saltiness. I get sandalwood and amber, along with something kind of ... lemony? Maybe not specifically lemon, but definitely not orange or mandarin or lime.

Once dry, it's kind of an ambery lemony/pineappley (!?) slightly sweet and salty/tangy scent. I kind of like it, there's something that makes me want to keep having a sniffle of the little patch of skin that has Hunger Moon daubed on. There's something there that's making my nose not want to breathe in too deeply for fear of ripping up the inside of my nose. I'm not sure that's going to make sense to anyone though!

It does remind me a little of Hungry Ghost Moon (my first bottle purchase, off the forums, as I'd missed out on the actual release, which was then gifted to an enablee), except HGM doesn't have the sharp salty/tangy thing, it was much more round in feel.

I do like the scent, except for the feeling it provokes in my nose - that sharp/tangy shreddy feeling is a little unsettling. Once it's been on for long enough (about 30 min or so), the sharp spiky feeling fades away and I'm left with a round feel, not so much white anymore, maybe . I think my brain's wired for scent = feel today.

I'm not sure what the "Hunger" is, except to make you hungry!

Wet, it's very fruity, with a slight brambley note in the background.

Dry, there is still that jumble of mixed fruit and sweetness dominating, with something foresty behind it, and a hint of citrus, keeping it from being all fruit salad. I don't get cold notes at all, wet or dry. This has pretty good staying power on me, which isn't usual for fruit notes.

I've heard this is really fruity or that it's like Dublin. I love it both ways! Let's see what it's like...

In the bottle - Wow, lots of citrus and verbana with some oakmoss. So far I'm loving this.

Wet - Big old pop of the sage.

Drying - This is very, very BRIGHT. The citrus, verbana and sage are dominating, with some oakmoss and the tiniest bit of amber in the background to give it base. The citrus is a lot more sharp than I normally get, but it's interesting and rather nice. Sage and I normally do NOT get along, but here it's being good, just a middle note to give this body.

Dry (1.5 hours) - Well, the citrus really cooled down, but the sage is still pretty strong. On the whole, it's mellowed quite a bit and the sandalwood has come out the barest bit. It's not very strong and doesn't have any throw.

Overall - This is a tough call. I can barely smell it now, but it IS nice. Hrm, I suppose I'll keep it around to see how it ages, at the least.

Whew! This smells like the desert on acid: sage and citrus struck with a bolt of clear ozone lightning.

This is clean and sharp and wicked, a high-velocity, high-pitched scent that just might mow you down if you aren't careful. Hunger? Yes. Very hungry. It smells nothing like food, and everything like miles and miles of nothing with no food in sight. Harsh.

It smells good, but calling this a "nice" smell would be like calling a sword a knife, and this is one keen blade of a scent. The verbena (think herbal lemons) and citrus and sage are juicy and tight together, and the ozone is a smack of dry, electric wind. I'm not getting much depth out of it on first application . . . the sandalwood and amber and oakmoss will probably need time to develop.

Sadly, I'm not going to get that. Something in this, or perhaps a combination, is making my wrist itch like anything, so off it comes. Pity, because this was a real zinger of a scent. Definitely recommended for anyone who likes clean ozone scents, or who is interested in playing with citrus scents that aren't overtly lemony or orangey.

Bottle: Woodsy evergreenness.

Wet: sweet evergreens, bit of citrus--grapefruit maybe?

Drying: The citrus comes out the most, I think. And the woods are underneath. I like this. There’s sort of a burning sandalwood going on underneath.

Dry: Glittery grapefruit and evergreen woods. I can definitely make out the oakmoss now (love oakmoss). Bit masculine for me, overall, though.

Overall: Still there 8-9 hrs later, as a faintly sweet evergreen citrus smell. This scent pretty much stays true from the time I put it on to when it fades out. Its beautifully done, but I don’t think I’d wear it often (masculine feel), so its just as well that I don’t have a bottle…

In the bottle: frozen fruit. Not in your face fruit, but really like fruit coverd in snow. Nice!

Wet: frozen fruit, this is not foody. And the some of the post mentioned grapefruit, and someone lemon. I don't get either of those. But my skin has been known to amp lemon, so I hope that isn't the fruit. :D

Dry down: still fruits under a layer of snow. Like a bowl on a table at a garden party unexpectedly interuppted by snow. You still see the fruits, but they have white frosting snow. This is a quiet scent. And I love Beth's slushy notes.

30 minutes: whew! Still lovely frozen fruits. No dreaded lemon, which turns into Pledge on me. This is just Beth's lovely slushy snow note and fruit. I think the sandalwood and the citrus rind are combining to make me think "fruits" rather than "rind." This is really well blended. I suck at telling individual notes in Beth's creations most of the time, because she is so good at blending... I tell myself. :P

Conclusion: I love this! Beth's snow perfumes have never failed with my skin. My chemistry loves her snow and slush notes. This is no exception. This is less hungry than I thought, I expected bitter cold, desolate. I got a bowl of frozen fruit. Like some elegant garden party, china, silverware, the whole nine... interuppted by some calamity which involves snow. All the people are dead, and the table is left to be covered by a blanket of quiet snow. Nice Beth!

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 4.5.

I expected this to be a cold, chill scent, but my impression of Hunger Moon is one of strangely empty warmth. The ozone and sage give this scent a desolate feeling that is rounded out with the amber and sandalwood. This is actually an interesting scent for summer - the verbena and citrus notes carry well and don't overwhelm.

Woodsy and citrusy all at the same time, its wonderful.

In bottle: I get sandlewood, amber, and citrus. A very nice blend of of warm woods and citrus, very comforting almost.

Wet: I get lots of warm amber and citrus notes. Very Pleasent.

Dry: The citrus really comes out when its dry (at least on me). I'm still getting some of the warmer woddsy notes, but its mostly citrus now.

All in all I really like this blend and I think it will become one of my favorites.

The amber, ozone, and citrus rind are perfect in this. Beyond those notes, I have no idea what it is that makes this blend work so well, but it is amazing. Once again I lucked out on my birthday month (February). Hunger Moon gives this sense of not-quite-comfort, a sense of biting winds and cold hunger, but then the amber seems to warm it up into a tantalizing, inviting scent. It mesmerizes me whenever I wear it.

Mmm! That's all I have to say!

But...I'll say more! This is a very complex scent! I can smell the citrus rind and I like it because it is not too sharp. I think I also smell the sandalwood and these two scents mix very very well together! This is not a foody scent but it reminds me of food! haha don't know why!

I need a bottle!

In the bottle: the BPAL snow note

On the skin: The lemony BPAL snow note is most prominent at first. As it dries, the lemon reveals itself as verbena. The verbena is actually playing nice on my skin - a lot of times it turns to a weird dough smell on me. It mixes well with the pine and slush notes. After it’s been on a bit, the amber and sandalwood come out. This is gorgeous and I can’t stop huffing my arm.

It has a sweetness to it, and seems sweeter than some of the other snow scents. It’s kinda like a mix of Hungry Ghost Moon and some of Beth’s snow scents (Snow Moon, Tavkikuu, etc), but heavier on the snow. I really like it and am so glad that I have a bottle.

I get a chillier version of Dorian out of Hunger Moon. It's got that smooth roundness of the oakmoss/verbena, mixed with the chill of snowy ozone, a hint of pine, and creamy but slightly spicy wood notes. To my nose, it's very similar to what I get with Dorian, but without the vanilla tea aspect of it, and darker, older, wiser, with a smack of "hi, SMELL ME, bitch!"

I thank pkwench most gratefully for the bottle she swapped me. :P

Edited by pekeana

Mmm, tree sap. Some kind of pine-related goodness, but some of those can cause reactions in me. And cue headache. ::sad music:: After a few minutes, the tree sap backs off, and now there's a citrusy-resiny scent. Ten minutes later, my skin has almost completely absorbed it. Huh.

BOTTLE: very fresh, green, & citrusy

WET: Wow! Feels warm on my skin and it's much sweeter than I expected from the notes listed. I definitely get the verbena, sage, and citrus. Really yummy!

DRY: The citrus fades quite a bit and the amber and sandalwood come forward. I start to get the "piney" scent people have mentioned, but it's not sharp at all, more like a Christmas-scented candle than pine sap. Actually, it reminds me very much of the pinon wood everyone burns here in New Mexico in the winter; it's pine but with a sweet, sagey tone to it. Hunger Moon smells like the night air in Santa Fe in December!

Although this smelled very light, sweet and quite unisex when wet, as it dries it seems more and more masculine to me. My husband absolutely loves this scent, and he will definitely use up the bottle. I may even get another one, because I really love this -- very green and fresh, yet warm & spicy at the same time. Perfect!

Edited by Catmint

I didn’t get this 5m when it was offered..I think because of the verbena. It usually scares me off because I get the whole “Lemon Pledge” effect. YBNB was nice enough to have a 5ml available so I ended up snagging it..I had to try this nonetheless. I do love amber and the idea of ozone with the sage, citrus, and sandalwood kind of made me gamble.

So…to harken the cooler weather that I do HUNGER for..I wear Hunger Moon. :P

Initial sniff from bottle: Interesting..I get the citrus twang slapped with the ozone and the sage. Sage keeps it from becoming what many people get is “detergent” vibe. It is sharp..and almost medicinal..but I quite like it actually.

Applied wet on skin: Yup..verbena..but it’s playing nice on me..along with the ozone which is also a bit restrained..and the sage. I get a tinge of the oakmoss on the back..works well in this blend.

Couple of minutes on skin: Softly wafting verbena and sage..with the oakmoss and sandalwood under it all..just giving it a very dry vibe. Apparently some reviewers get a “pine” like scent akin to Snow Moon. For me Snow Moon was overwhelmingly pine to the point of it being not enjoyable..but I don’t get that from Hunger Moon..hmph. I get the herbal/dry/citrus-like mélange that is airy and chilly at the same time. I have to say..I like it.

When I first applied it and then went downstairs to get some breakfast, my mom remarked how much she loved what I was wearing. When I brought my wrist up to her nose, she sniffed and said it smelled nice..but the waft that I left was even better..interesting.

Ten minutes later:Verbena is still here with the sage..but it’s softened…and now I get a sweetness which I am attributing to the amber. Fascinating really.

I agree with the hoardes of reviewers who say this is similar to Hungry Ghost Moon..definitely the dry/stark/barren version of it..and let me say I do find it amazing.

Twenty minutes later:Verbena and citrus rind are very much in the background..lending a wisp scent..but now it’s all just traces of the amber and sage with the sandalwood..rather thin and dry..

Drydown: Same as above

Lasting power clocked in at about 4+ hours with throw average.

Bottom Line: Hunger Moon definitely comes across as a bit desolate and barren and thin…but surprisingly..wearable. I think it’s the winning combination of the verbena, sage, and amber that does it for me. The ozone just supports it nicely..injecting that chilly/almost snow-like note that makes this perfect to wear on blustery cold days. A keeper.

This one is peculiar and unexpected. The citrus is strongest, with a vicious ozone edge. It is almost like a floral in it's sweetness. There is a real sense of the outdoors and it does give the impression of chill, but I don't get barrenness as the scent is too rich, the sandlewood and citrus together making for a decadent undertone. simply, oranges are not really apt to grow in sleet.

In the bottle: cinnamon and citrus to my nose. Spicy, pleasant, not quite what i expected.

On me, wet: whatever the cinnamon scent was, it's gone now. I'm getting a lot of strong verbena and biting citrus rind. There's also a bit of sandalwood down there, and something i'm pretty sure is ozone. I have to stop myself from huffing my wrist in public. This smells absolutely awesome.

On me, dry: softens up a bit. The verbena slowly falls out over the course of a few hours, and i'm left with a more sandalwood and pine (not sure what that's from) scent. The ozone is still heavy. There's something sort of soft that's crept in here, maybe that's the lunar oils? The combination of scents is really interesting, and nothing like any other scents i have.

Throw and duration: both very good.

Overall: I love this smell, but i don't know if i should keep wearing it. When i sniff this, it makes my lungs burn. No sinus irritation, no skin irriation, no headache, no coughing or dificulty breathing... but my lungs burn. Weird, no? Anyway, i'll have to try it again and see if the same thing happens. Really hope it doesn't, because this scent is pretty great on me. It really does evoke a desolate, burnt out field for me.