Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
abejita

Kanishta

The Other Woman. The scent of dark desire, heady with intrigue, shadowy with deception: black opium, Haitian patchouli, jasmine sambac, French magnolia and kush.

From the bottle: Creamy blossoms and a whiff of my beloved opium.

On, wet: The French magnolia just bloomed. Hell, it burst into bloom. The jasmine is strong. I have never had a particular problem with jasmine in general, but I can see how the sambac is more... tempered, somehow. This is seriously a lush floral, everything else is hiding right now.

Dry: Mmmm, there it is. Ooooopiummmm. So smooth. I am not a big floral person, but the lushness of the magnolia, the clarion sweetness of the jasmine, and that smooth black opium are really doing it for me right now. The patchouli and kush have a light touch. I suspect they are part of what is grounding the jasmine. I love the sweetness of this scent, it's so velvety

The Verdict: A keeper. To me, this scent speaks confidence, sensuality, and a very mature breed of audacity. I can really see how it is meant to evoke the Other Woman. I get a feel of independence. This is the scent of the Mistress, but she is no kept woman. She just can't be bothered with drab social convention. The men who know it want her all the more for it, but she won't be tamed. I don't usually go nuts reading a lot into a scent, but this one is tugging at my imagination.

Medium to strong throw.

This is definitely a good scent for The Other Woman in my case, because it is definitely not a 'Tania' sort of scent, lol.

Opium does bad, bad things on my skin. It's a sharp and smoky scent, almost a sharp white smoke of a scent. That vicious sharpness dominates this blend on me. Underneath the opium, there is something floral that is trying to sweeten out the blend, but the opium crushes it. I can catch little hints of something earthy or a sweet floral every once in a while.

The Other Woman is sharp and smoky on me, with hints of earth & sweet floral that never quite makes it out.

Strong opium. As anyone who has read any of my reviews will know, this isn't a keeper for me...

My hope for this one is dark resiny and smokey; my fear is monster jasmine.

Wet: Oh, it's looking promising so far. A bit of an orangey-citrus top note for some reason, a bit of opium smoke, and the jasmine, though clearly there, is not overpowering.

Drying: Continuing to live up to my hopes. Dark sweet opium smoke just tinged by jasmine. Lovely and deep and mysterious. This is really good stuff.

Dry: Now I begin to have some doubts, because it does seem to fade very fast, and the late stages are jasmine-dominated. Nevertheless, it's still very nice, and I can see where this could become a favourite if slightly aged and properly handled. This is one of those times that I'm really glad I took a risk on ordering a bottle.

straight sniff from imp...slight jasmine...thick, heavy patchouli...

once applied this amps up a l-o-t....the opium takes forefront....

quite lovely ... i am really amazed at how well balanced this is....

while complex it is gorgeous...daaaaaaaaaaaang...i may need

a big bottle of this one...the opium, jasmine and patchouli are

phenomenal....

huge throw....

In vial: wow. Magnolia and patchouli and jasmine! Something smoky and lush.

Wet: Gorgeous powdery florals and thick, heady patchouli. This is sexy.

Dry: Something citrusy is coming out, like tangerine. There's still a lot of floral, but the patchouli is gone. It's not nearly as sexy anymore. I wish the patchouli had stuck around and kept this anchored, but it's flown the coop.

This is crazy-sexy, and complex. It's thick with incense and dark flowers. I'm utterly in love.

Edited by LadyMedb

oh, Oh, OH!

In the vial: deep resin, opulent floral with a hint of tangerine. There is also a hint of green-ness. Is that the kush?

Wet: Resinous and femine. Florals are usually not my friends, but the opium smoke and other notes are tempering the jasmine nicely.

Dry: This is uber sexay. :D I must have a big bottle, stat :P !

Kanishta is sexy stuff. Of the new Lupercalia blends I've sampled so far, this is the one that stands out as overtly sexual, almost predatorial---but winningly, like a sexpot with a magnolia flower tucked behind her ear. I'm a sucker for patchouli, so maybe that's what's working on me here. But the whole combination of the patchouli with the jasmine and opium and magnolia and kush---is just wonderful. I love the way the earthy patchouli and high elegant florals collide and collude here.

Gorgeous blend. If this is the Other Woman, she's really quite something to contend with.

In the bottle: Very heady, dark resin with floral undertones.

On me: All patchouli, all the time. No jasmine, no magnolia, just patchouli with a wee bit of opium lurking hopefully in the background.

Unfortunately, this went a little to hippie head-shop on me. If the patchouli had minded its manners, it would have been lovely. But I, the resin-amper, have to look elsewhere. :P

This should be a natural for me, which is why I bought it. I love patchouli, I love jasmine. I even like white florals (so Magnolia would be fine). I didn't know what Kush was, and interestingly, it turns out to be a very strong form of cannabis, high in THC, :D but with a sweet spicy scent (or so says Wikepedia). And I've enjoyed being the other woman, the few times I was. :P I should like this.

In the bottle, I get mostly jasmine with a slight perfumy note (which is how opium plays out on my skin. I also smell other white flowers--the magnolia I think? Wet, I get no patchouli at all. This may end up being too floral for me.

Alas, I don’t think I can do BPAL opium notes, because this is getting really perfumy on me in the same way Mum moon did, which I ended up not keeping. How sad! As it dries down some of the perfumy notes go away, but I'm still pretty overwhelmed with opium and flowers and none of my beloved patchouli. Damn!

I am enjoying Kanishta - jasmine, opium and patchouli can all dominate a scent but having the three sumos in the same ring make for a nicely balance oil. This is very hot, feminine and sexy.

Kanishta is light and sweet, when I was expecting something a little deeper. Opium and jasmine are really the dominating scent to me... and I absolutely swear I smell orange blossom, although it could just be the other florals. It becomes a little smoky with a little wear, but overall doesn't morph much. This reminds me of Vixen without the ginger note. It's sexy and happy, not dark. This could be an everyday scent for me. I'm glad I bought a 5ml unsniffed, but it's not a multiple bottle purchase and I won't cry when I use it up. :P

Can't. Stop. Wearing. Kanishta.

I think there's something wrong with me. I put it on after I shower, put it on before I go to bed. I wear it so often that when I don't wear it for a day or two, you can still smell it on my skin!!!

Jasmine is my nemesis, but thankfully it's only smellable on my skin in the first hour or so, but heavily mixed with the patchouli and black opium. Hours later it turns to a spicy magnolia gorgeousness...overall it's floral, but spicy and resiney at the same time.

Need more bottles!

Oro

O O O OMG this is beatiful!!!

I smell magnolia, weak pachuli (that I am thankful) and a tiny amount of jasmine. This is cream, floral, sexy, and charmingly dirty. :P

Edited by Melenass

Kanishta - This blend is the perfect example of a perfume oil that shouldn't work on me due to the presence of the Haitian patchouli, the jasmine and the magnolia. However, even though I can smell every single one of these elements, I can't stop wearing this blend. It is so incredibly rich, deep, sexy, and gorgeous. It opens up with the warm, resinous, wood scent of patchouli and opium. The sweet, smoky opium is definitely the strongest note, bolstered by the dry, woody warmth of the patchouli. Magnolia is the next scent I detect, and it swirls in and out of the opium and patchouli in a way that brings richness and depth to the blend. I have no idea what kush is, so I don't know if I can smell it or not or how it might be affecting the overall scent of this blend, but I'm amazed that the jasmine, while evident, is very soft, subtle, and does not amp on my skin. While this scent is really strong initially, it does fade over the course o f about 4 hours. While I can still smell it at the 4 hour point, it's not strong enough for my liking, so this is the point when I reapply. I'm so glad the other Lupercalia scents will be up for a while longer so I can test them later, because I can't seem to stop wearing this one. It's really gorgeous.

For some reason this smells like Snake Oil on me O_o. Vaguely floral Snake Oil. I'm not sure how this is possible, but there's possibly magnolia, and then...Snake Oil. Very strange.

This is a lovely blend, it smells alot like Mum moon to my nose with the added Jasmine and rose into it. It is a beautiful feminine and dark scent. Smoky and Luscious with just a touch of sweet. I really like this one!

Oh, this is fabulous! Primarily I get opium, but the jasmine and magnolia are there, too. More muted than those florals would normally be. I have no idea what kush is. Not really getting much of the patchouli.

in the decant: Heady sweet, but with a bitterness, almost a tad medicinal.

on: Heady and rich; reminds me a bit of a more mysterious Smut.

I'm a total sucker for magnolia scents, so this was a must-get for me. Kanishta is gorgeous - sort of a dirtier, more exotic version of Black Dahlia. When first applied, it's a rush of magnolia and jasmine, yet not so sweet as to be cloying. The florals bloom and only then to I realize the very subtle patchouli has been there all along. It gets a bit of that smoky, mysterious opium note upon drydown.

This is beautiful - a great floral for people like me who tend to prefer the darker, more resinous scents.

At first sniff, a very potent jasmine and magolia (which I LOVE). On my skin, ohmahgaaad! While wet, heady florals and muted patchouli but very well blended. When dry, I love it even more. It gets smokier and earthy, which might be the kush and opium? I love it in every stage and think that it is a darkly seductive scent. Very nice!

This is absolutely gorgeous, and in no way like any other bpal oil I've tried (and I've been through probably 2/3 of the catalog now). Everything is so well-blended that I can't tell the notes apart, and on me, it ends up smelling like a stunning eastern incense blend! Two bottles in my next order!

KANISHTA

In Bottle: Resins

On Skin: This is sweet and beautiful. The jasmine and magnolia are very heavy florals… dripping almost. The resins are dark and quite seductive. The patchouli works on me, yay! This scent seems quite naughty and dangerous. I really like it in small does, if I apply it like I normally do it is far too strong. The florals are feminine but are darkened by the wonderful smoky resins. Florals tend to be sharp or sour on me, but this one is so sweet, I would wear it everyday. I have been wearing a lot of resinous and musky scents lately and I like that while this one is very resinous, it also has a gorgeous floral and sweet side… not overly smoky or incensey. Medium to strong throw and average wearlength.

at first: a heady, dark floral.

on: i'm mostly getting opium and magnolia with a hint of patchouli underneath.

half an hour later: there's something almost anise-y to this. aside from that, it's a dark, lush floral. the jasmine is really coming forward nicely.

1.5 hours later: tons of something that really reminds me of anise with a bit of a powdery floral.

3 hours: there's something almost effervescent to this now. a bubbly tart-sweet scent. interesting.

4.5 hours later: still something tart and bubbly, but with a sweet anise note underneath.

overall: this is rather gorgeous. it's very dark at first, but ends up pretty bright at the end on me.

In the bottle: Lush, deep, dark, and sexy. I smell the patchouli underneath a thick, spicy floral. The other notes are too well blended to pick out.

Wet/Drydown: Rich, sweet magnolia rises first, backed up by the opium. The jasmine lends a hint of spicy!floral as opposed to sweet!floral. The patchouli is in the background, but it grounds this blend and makes it earthier and dirtier (sexy-dirty, not earth-dirty). Now the jasmine is being a bit bolder. I don’t know what kush smells like, so no comments as to that note. This is unbelievably sexual – wow. At every whiff, I keep getting the spice of jasmine or the sweetness of magnolia – they switch off, and sometimes they blend together.

Dry: A very sexy, musky, spicy-sweet blend. The description is spot on – “dark desire” is right! Definitely a blend to wear when you want to seduce someone.