Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Best BPAL for gym, workout, sports, exercise?

I often wear Alice at martial art training - it's not too sweet and not too soft, and works well with sweat. :P

Hunger, and her vanilla, lasts for DAYS on me, even through showers. :P I think that Snake Oil is a permanent undersmell to my skin now. It also lasts and lasts, but I can bearly smell it anymore!

gamaliel, similiar to dorian with the musky and lemon notes, lasts a looong time on me.

i've never tried dorian (i so so want to!) but it might be the lemon and musk that does it for some people.

It really depends on your body chemisty. Sudha Segara vanishes on me almost instantly, but Snake Oil lasts a good 8 hours. I find that the heavier scents tend to stick around longer than the lighter fruity/florals.

I also highly reccomend scent lockets for a quick sniffie-pick-me-up. You don't want to be wearing it during sports of course, but you might find it very refreshing to put it back on when you're done. There's nothing like sniffing some fresh Doormouse when I feel gross.

I'd like to revive the topic and see if you have any newer suggestions?

I don't want to drive everyone around me crazy with BPAL, I just want a little bit to enjoy and give me a little uplifting kick while I sweat my butt off at the gym.

For me, anything that warms up nicely without being too overpowering. I've gone to the gym frequently without showering from the day before and had a perfume re-awaken on my newly warm skin. One of those I like for that is Boomslang, but I wouldn't wear it specifically to the gym--it'd knock everyone out without 24 hours to mellow it out first.

I like green tea scents, so I always wear Shanghai when I work out. When I'm out of that I'll sometimes wear Holiday Moon, or Tweedledee.

Pele would be nice for when one feels sticky and sweaty...it's fresh and clean and not smothering...another thought was Poisoned Apple or Gennivre...

I don't tend to put on perfume when I work out, because I don't want to annoy anyone, but if I know I am going to the gym or a pilates class later, I might use those perfumes throughout the day (I have to reapply constantly to keep any scent on me, anyways).

Edited by willowtreeling

:P I was just thinking about this yesterday because, well, Bonfire Night is NOT a good scent to wear when working out. A little unplanned trial and error there, on my part.

Citrus and tea scents get me moving. Embalming Fluid is a good one.

:P I was just thinking about this yesterday because, well, Bonfire Night is NOT a good scent to wear when working out.

Whew--no, that'd be one strong scent for the gym, I'd say.

I discovered that Sudha Segara is wonderful during yoga. Gentle and fresh, it doesn't intrude.

I've searched a little, but 'gym' is a three letter word, and thus passes under the search engine radar...

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be considered appropriate to wear a little scent to the gym? Would it be considered an infringement on other people's olfactory space, or should I just not bother because I'll have sweated it all off after 10 minutes on the elliptical?

If I posted in the wrong section, I apologise...

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a perfume oil to the gym, especially if it smells nice and fresh =) Oils don't have as much throw as, say, spray perfumes, and I think other gym goers would be grateful to be smelling something pretty instead of other peoples' sweat.

Aaah, recommendations! I didn't think to look there. Thanks, strangemodegirl!

I was just thinking that if I found a smell that helped me feel refreshed and energised, well, it could help working out... :P

That, and the smell wafted up from my sneakers as I put them on again after the workout and er.. eww.

In Beth's post at the beginning of that thread you linked she mentions putting a bit on her socks.. that could help that little problem. :D

I would suggest not wearing scent to the gym. When you sweat, it can actually magnify the scent quite a lot, and as you've got a somewhat captive audience, it's not really fair to the people who might be sensitive to smells or just dislike that particular scent.

I'm just thinking of one particular gentleman who uses the gym at my parents' place - he wears a cologne that I think is nasty and it just totally saturates the gym even hours after he has come and gone. Granted, that's an extreme case, and I think that BPAL given that it is alcohol free, is less likely to be offensive - but better safe than sorry.

I've searched a little, but 'gym' is a three letter word, and thus passes under the search engine radar...

The search engine can now find three letter words - that old restriction got worked around in the last update. The help info and old posts about using the search engine might not reflect this yet. But try a search for "gym" (or "tea" or something of your choosing), limited to titles only and topics only for ease, and you'll see that it works. I don't know that this applies to the the lab search engine (that you access through the retail site) yet, though - it runs through different software and may still balk at the three-letters-or-less searches.

I don't usually wear anything to the gym, but I love wearing Fire Pig when out jogging in the neighborhood. It really can be energizing! Haven't tried it with Earth Rat yet, but I could see it might work the same way.

The idea of wearing scent while working out is just mind-boggling to me.

*boggles quietly*

I know everyone's different. I just think it would really bother me. (It's not even a "consideration for other people" thing, though there's that too -- I think it would drive ME nuts.)

If you're going to be working out around people and must wear scent, I'd wear something light and clean smelling with minimal throw. When you heat up, it amps. There are lots of lovely fresh clean BPALs, though...Olokun, Shanghai, (dc'ed) F5, (dc'ed) Usher, perhaps Embalming Fluid (not great on me, but other people love it), Sea of Glass (ditto), Danube (tritto), etc. etc.

Edited by Electra

I wear The Coiled Serpent when I do yoga at home, but I couldn't imagine wearing anything to the gym.

I would suggest not wearing scent to the gym. When you sweat, it can actually magnify the scent quite a lot, and as you've got a somewhat captive audience, it's not really fair to the people who might be sensitive to smells or just dislike that particular scent.

I'm just thinking of one particular gentleman who uses the gym at my parents' place - he wears a cologne that I think is nasty and it just totally saturates the gym even hours after he has come and gone. Granted, that's an extreme case, and I think that BPAL given that it is alcohol free, is less likely to be offensive - but better safe than sorry.

:P As one of those people who get headaches from strong smells, I thank you.

The gym I go to uses a lot of automatic deodoriser things and lately they've switched from something vaguely almondy to something that's like vanilla and burnt cookies...

Urgh.

I think I'll take the freshest scent in my bag, to at least put some on AFTER working out, to cancel the sickeningly sweet combo of sweat + overbaked cookies that wafts around the locker room.

Somebody mentioned The Dormouse earlier in the thread... Excellent. *not-so patiently waits for lab order to arrive*