Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cinder

The absolute darkest scents? dark, ghostly, haunting, scary,

The Great He-Goat!

I like dark scents and I love vetiver, so I love that one -- but of the "dark" scents that I find unsettling I'd say Czernobog is the darkest.

I'm not someone who normally goes for that kind of mood, but I do try to keep my mind open when looking at a new scent, so I have run across a few. Some of these are not super-dark at first glance, but I'm including them because they may smell differently on you.

Black Annis

Brimstone

The Caterpillar

The Cracked Bell

Death

Hemlock

Highwayman

Loviatar

Numb (smells like fresh blood to me)

Pain

Sloth

Two Monsters

Wolfsbane

And I would give the Dark Elements collection a try, as well as Destroying Angel, Slobbering Pine, Kumari Kandam and The Demon Islands (although I haven't tried any of those).

Edited by ladymissspyder

I found Lampades to be very unsettling. I've worn it several times waiting to get used to it, because it smells so good, but it still makes me uncomfortable. I'll probably end up buying a 5ml just to keep trying to make up my mind whether or not to keep wearing it! :P

I forgot to mention, Centzon Totochtin (it's in the Excolo section) strikes me as very dark and almost velvety: "Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood". It was a surprise hit for me.

I find Umbra, Samhainophobia, and Schwarzer Mond to be the epitome of darkness. Not dark things, not gothic things, etc., but truly the darkest deepest black hole. haha. you get the picture. dark.

Just goes to show how different skin chemistries and perceptions are - there are lots of scents on this list I would never have thought of as 'dark', and some I might even have called 'pretty' :P . For me the darkest scents I've tried are -

Malediction

Umbra

Typhon

Tarot: Death

The Great He-Goat

The Isle of the Dead (in a weird way, very evocative of the painting)

Just goes to show how different skin chemistries and perceptions are - there are lots of scents on this list I would never have thought of as 'dark', and some I might even have called 'pretty'

No kidding! Czernnobog (or however it's spelled :P) has been mentioned here quite a few times, but it was quite sweet and light on me.

The darkest I've tried is probably Lenore. Most things turn sweet on me, but this one didn't.

And I would give the Dark Elements collection a try, as well as Destroying Angel, Slobbering Pine, Kumari Kandam and The Demon Islands (although I haven't tried any of those).

Slobbering Pine is definitely not dark... I expected it to be, and it was a dissapointment :D it is objectively very nice, though, if you like pine of course :P

So many of the scents described as "dark" or "evil" don't feel that way at all to me: Nephilim was one of the first that I found genuinely unsettling (while still appealing, in a mood-evocative way). It makes me think of cold stone and corrupted spirituality--a real Jacobean-tragedy scent.

I haven't tried many of the scents already rec'd, so I guess mine are a little different - I found Bordello pretty unsettling. Though that could be because I got a good scare the day I was testing it :P

I thought of Blood of first, but on second thought I think Kabuki, while similar, is a lot darker in feel. I'd also give Samhain a try for the opening 'dark forest' stage.

Edited by silver_dollar

Lycaon. It was a "might as well" kind of order . . . I thought it would be too masculine, and I'd end up giving it to my boyfriend! :P Lycaon wasn't a great combination on him, however. On me, it was darker than anything I've ever tried, even my Trick # 1 and Schwarzer Mond bottles. The scent was pitch black, but still--dare I say it--sexy and a little exotic.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody :P

I ordered 2 imp packs, including some "Dark" scents such as Centzon Totochtin and Burial. Mainly I just wanted to know for future reference, since I enjoy writing short horror stories and whatnot.

Sloth sounds interesting.. Some of the reviews mentioned it smelling like a musty basement, and oddly enough that appeals to me.

Someone mentioned Niflheim.. Yeah, it doesn't seem dark per se (due to the florals/reviews) but the name of it alone is enough to make me buy it. Especially since one of my favorite songs by Therion is called Niflheim, and I love norse mythology.

Ok, I'm finished rambling.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody :P

I ordered 2 imp packs, including some "Dark" scents such as Centzon Totochtin and Burial. Mainly I just wanted to know for future reference, since I enjoy writing short horror stories and whatnot.

Sloth sounds interesting.. Some of the reviews mentioned it smelling like a musty basement, and oddly enough that appeals to me.

Someone mentioned Niflheim.. Yeah, it doesn't seem dark per se (due to the florals/reviews) but the name of it alone is enough to make me buy it. Especially since one of my favorite songs by Therion is called Niflheim, and I love norse mythology.

Ok, I'm finished rambling.

I can't help the hijack, even if it gets me in trouble.

(Although I was attracted to this thread because I too am looking for some "dark" scents for writing and just evil moods)

Therion? *perk*

[/hijack]

First, a wee bit of mod talk: I found an older thread with a similar theme, just different adjectives... I merged it with this one, kept Flowermouth's title & threw in a few of the adjectives from the old thread so we wouldn't lose that earlier discussion.

As for the subject at hand, one of the most dark and unsettling BPAL blends I know of unfortunately was discontinued in the great purge of 2004 - you wouldn't think from the notes that Spectre (lilac, tuberose, Lily of the Valley, palmarosa, and white sandalwood) could be so creepy. I have just an imp left and although I love it, I love it in the way that I love a good scare or a good cry. Something about it fills me with a sense of sadness, nostalgia and a little bit of fear. It's the only BPAL blend I've had a strange emotional reaction to.

I'd definetly go for Black Annis and Samhainophobia as well - I am wearing them both today and smell wonderfully spooky :P

The darkest, for me? Blood and Bluebeard.

Blood--for the first thirty minutes, I loved it; I thought it smelled warm and sexy yet metallic; I felt like I should be a vampire or something. All was great. Then, it turned to blood. Like wet, cold, cadaver blood. Unless I truly can't stand it, I like to keep the scent on all day--scents constantly change on me. But, today, every once in a while, I'll get a whiff of something that just sets me on edge and makes me anxious. I'll look around, then realize it me--or rather, Blood. Creepy.

Bluebeard is dark in a more mood evocative way. Bluebeard smells like white cold anger at first. The kind of anger than just overtakes someone and makes them think about drastic measures. It's abusive. About thirty minutes later, it's all good and smells great. But those first thirty minutes are kind of edgy and dark.