Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cinder

The absolute darkest scents? dark, ghostly, haunting, scary,

Conducting a little informal poll ....

Imagine a ghost or an appartion coming through a room (male or female, don't matter) or a haunted, deserted mansion....

which scents have you found to have a spooky, haunting, or ghostly aura, either with you or with someone else near you who's smelled it?

For me, its been Phantasm (due to the airy, cool feeling and scent of the scent).

Seance gives me that feel, with the dry, almost dusty tone to the wood. Like something old and almost forgotten that doesn't want to be.

The Wheel of Fortune, from the Tarot series, is incredibly ethereal to me, as is Water of Notre Dame, from the Voodoo collection. Haunting, in very different ways.

I second Seance. Ingenue strikes me as very wispy and ethereal too, in a completely different way.

honestly, i thought zombi gave me that kind of impression except that it actually smelled like a 500-year-old ghost just rose up from the grave and entered the room! :P

Noir & Hakkotsu for me but different kinds of ghostly. Maiden is a bit ghostly as it makes me nostalgic for past loves to the point where I swear I can feel them- scary as no sooner did I say that about Maiden once & an ex bloody called right then to say hi!!! Spooky indeed!

Zombi makes me feel spooky and i am more open to see weird things like shadows and feel haunted atmospheres.

Darkness feels `dark`as the scent reminds me of candles which are blown out by the wind...

For me, it's those scents that change and linger and transmute during the day. For me, these are:

Samhain: Can't get spookier than this one--all that is haunting and eerie about Autumn. Seems as if Chistina Ricci's character in Sleepy Hollow would be wearing this one (can't THINK of her character's name in that movie, darn it!)

Czernobog: It must be the myrrh, but this one gets very strong reactions from others: they are inspired to wax poetic about it and always call it feminine and alluring.

Bacchanalia: Though a very deep, heady scent, this evokes the feeling of a Greek frenzied rite to perfection. Black nights and lots of people all worshipping the moon.

Serpent's Kiss: Evokes the image of a great snake writhing a la Lair of the White Worm. I love this one for the ever-present spicy quality.

All I can say is that Veil scared the shit out of me when I smelled it in the bottle. It really made me uncomfortable, and it smelled kind of evil - like Old Testament style evil - which isnt' something I'd usually say or even think about.

I think it affected the rest of my evening. I got in a progressively worse mood as I was driving to NY and there kept being these really weird and loud bumping/banging noises coming from INSIDE the car, behind the driver's seat, but I couldn't figure out what it was. The car itself was running fine, and had never done anything like that before. By the time I got to where I was going I was in a creeped-out rage.

I didn't like that scent at all.

Queen Mab is creepy to me as it gives me terrible anxiety. Scary past life thing you know.....

I know it sounds silly, I think Haunted is just that....ghostly. It smells old, not like old lady, or like a basement. I dunno, hard to explain.

Torment. eep. It does a lot of interesting things as its drying, and even goes so far as to feel rather comforting at times. However, the end result felt like something ancient and grumpy had sunk down into my skin and was preparing to take possession of the rest of me.

Zombi was downright chipper in comparison. :P

Samhain: Can't get spookier than this one--all that is haunting and eerie about Autumn. Seems as if Chistina Ricci's character in Sleepy Hollow would be wearing this one (can't THINK of her character's name in that movie, darn it!)

i think it was katrina! or some varied spelling of that. but either way, that sounds beautiful! let me guess... limited addition? :P

Edited by plumlicorice

I've only posted a few times, and having only purchased an imp pack so far I'm still very much a newbie.. Anywho, I've browsed past threads but couldn't quite find the recommendations I'm looking for.

But moving on, what are the darkest scents you've ever tried? Not dark as in sad per se, but.. Well, I'm sure you get the point.

I've tried both Zombi and Nosferatu and I adore them, but they don't quite strike me as "dark" in the sense that I'm looking for. Sinister, though it doesn't have to be spicy or anything.

I've also tried Darkess, but apparently black poppy hates me-- or vice versa. Both Laudanum and Darkness smell like a mix between Old Spice (which I LOATHE) and my grandma's perfume.

Oils that I've been considering getting include Brimstone and Black Annis, but I'm curious about everyone else's thoughts.

The Tarot oils are a good source for this sort of thing. Death and The Tower are pretty dark.

And check out the Qliphoth - I like Nahemoth myself.

Bloodlust has a pretty sinister kick thanks to the vetiver, IMO.

Edited by Inanna9

I recommend trying out some of the vetiver-heavy scents. Malediction would be my first recommendation. You might also want to try Tarot: Death. And I'd also suggest going to the Black Phoenix website and using the website there to search for "vetiver". Check out the list and see which of the combinations strike you as dark and sinister.

I would second Malediction!

And also add the following that I would consider "dark" with varying shades of sinister.......

Djinn

Brimstone

Umbra

Saturn

Typhon

Czernobog

Black Annis

Gomorrah

Schwarzer Mond

Iago

Sloth

I second the vetivert recommendation. I also recommend blends with black narcissus or oak moss. My "darker" favourites are:

--Black Forest

--The Black Tower

--Blood Kiss

--Fallen

--Gaueko

--Hades

--Hunger

--Jazz Funeral

--Voodoo

Defnitely Malediction! That's the darkest oil I've tried; in fact it was too heavy for me. Nyarlathotep is pretty black as well.

Oh, my favorites are dark! hehe

So here is my list (* are LEs):

Omen

Black Forest

Lenore*

Sin

The Masque*

Hades

Samhainophobia*

Sloth

Brimstone

Alone*

The Pit and the Pendulum*

Wolfsbane

Cathedral

Gomorrha (not all that dark, but relatively very dark considering it is fruity!)

Black Annis (this one was creepy even for me, my favorites being dark)

Count Dracula*

The Isle of the Dead

Loviatar

Umbra

Iago

Satyr is more wild than dark, in my opinion.

In general, I agree that vetiver can make a scent dark, but not always. Patchouli, moss and dark musks, and even leather, can do that, too. Fro me, it is more a combination of the notes that gives a dark feeling to the blend, not one of the notes making the blend darken, if I am making any sense :P

Hmmm...I think this would be my list; * indicates warm dark, otherwise it strikes me as cold dark

Black Annis

Czernobog (morphs from cold to warm)

Gomorrah *

Black Forest

possibly Nocnitsa if you don't turn fir sweet like I do

Sloth

Brimstone

The Coiled Serpent *

Hymn to Proserpine *

Hades

Djinn *

Burial