Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cinder

The absolute darkest scents? dark, ghostly, haunting, scary,

The Chapel from the Carnaval is definitely an evil scent - "black incense, bitter wine, brimstone, and blood." It makes me feel malicious. ;)

Aaaaw, I wanted this to be pure evil magic too but all I got was sour grape juice from the winw note :cry:

Masabakes smells like evil. I mean, on me it also just kind of smells bad, too, but yeah, creeeeeeepy. It's very thick and heavy and present, like if impending doom had an odor.

Malediction is pretty damn evil. Fresh, it's kinda rank and acrid, but I have an imp that's been sitting around for two or three years and now it's deep, smooth, tar-black evil. Sinister, polished, and somehow really not sexy at all.

I haven't tried many BPAL..but one that really made me feel uncomfortable was Bluebeard :ack:

How can violet, lavender, and vetiver be scary? I don't know but it gave me disturbing dreams so I put it at arms length moving forward.

Do not pass. Do not collect $200.

I agree with whom ever said Oblivion! That is a dark sinister scent. But I would have to say that I think Samhainophobia is my darkest scent!

Samhainophobia: Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of

autumn leaves.

Samhainophobia takes the darkness, horror, and trepidation of Samhain; then adds in your fears and unwelcomed thoughts and blends all until it is a pure black smell of terror and abomination.... :ack:

I just tried The Music of Erich Zahn yesterday and it is definitely evil (at least on my skin :lol:). You've got to be a big fan of Vetiver to be able to enjoy it though. Djinn and Iago also come to mind. All of these are too overpowering for me though.

I prefer ghostly, haunting scents that aren't so overpowering.

Among my favorites that I find are:

The Chilling Cellar

The House

The Haunted Palace

Haunted

On Darkness

Edited by angelicruin

*shudder* Serpent's Kiss. That scent smelled like venom, and every time I opened the imp to sniff, I nearly recoiled.

...get it, recoiled? Serpent? I'll provide my own rimshot, it's fine. :P

It's official, most disturbing scent I've tested is black annis @_@ kind of reminds me of that movie "The Descent". Yikes.

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

The darkest scent I've tested is Gacela of the Dark Death. I can't even describe how this smelled, except that it was horror in a vial. I usually get colour impressions for all the blends I try, and the colour for Gacela was abyssal blackness.

Schwarzer Mond is also a black scent, but this blackness is comforting and warm and enfolding, in contrast to the terror of Gacela. I love SM's dry, dusty warmth, it's the only dark blend that I really like so far.

Other very dark blends were Hades (not surprisingly!), Medea, and Oblivion.

The first scent that comes to mind for me is Silas Ruthyn. It's not a scary scent, but whenever I smell it, I always think of a Victorian mansion that's fallen into decay, with heavy, deep purple velvet curtains and thick carpeting and a resident who wears old-fashioned smoking jackets and dabbles in the occult.

It's got a sort of atmospheric evilness to it, which I love. :twisted:

The Chapel. Blood, red wine and church incense. Reminds me of movies like the omen. :ack: And Schwarzer Mond. Dark Delicious and Evil. Voodoo is also a little dark for me. But its wonderful. :twisted:

nosferatu is, understandably, a super creepy scent. like something's crawling out of freshly-turned earth, RIGHT NOW.

I never really thought any scent could disturb me, especially with BPAL being so fabulous, but I was a little concerned by Pain. Some people seem to think it's only "loudly" bright, but to me it smells like you're in a dentist's office with a bunch of violent-looking metal instruments, and oh, that "dentist" actually happens to be a crazed torturer. :confused: Not a comforting scent at all, I wanted it off of me. That being said, I actually tend to very much like "dark" scents, as I have an affinity for more unique smells. Pleasant ones -

Czernobog - Very musky and wild, like roaming around within a deep forest and sensing the animals around you. Kind of sensual.

Kroenen - Dark leather and vetiver yumminess, empowering.

Black Tower - To me, this actually verges on ending up breezy sweet and less "intense" after it's had a couple hours of drydown, but early on it kind of reminds me of a dark knight. Elegant and poised, attractive, but with a bit of an attitude.

Black Forest - Similar to Czernobog in that it's obviously foresty but it's not really "wild" to me. It smells exactly what I would expect some sort of protective, "good" forest would be like. Like you wandered in and got lost, but it's okay because Mama Forest will wrap you up in her warm darkness and let you have a nap before leading you out safely. :P

I never really thought any scent could disturb me, especially with BPAL being so fabulous, but I was a little concerned by Pain. Some people seem to think it's only "loudly" bright, but to me it smells like you're in a dentist's office with a bunch of violent-looking metal instruments, and oh, that "dentist" actually happens to be a crazed torturer. :confused: Not a comforting scent at all, I wanted it off of me. That being said, I actually tend to very much like "dark" scents, as I have an affinity for more unique smells. Pleasant ones -

I actually wore Pain to my last dentist visit hehe - kept that tidbit to myself at the time ;)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

I love pain. The pennyroyal is loud...but the lavendar softens it a bit and it dries down beautifully.

I haven't tried many BPAL..but one that really made me feel uncomfortable was Bluebeard fear.gif

How can violet, lavender, and vetiver be scary? I don't know but it gave me disturbing dreams so I put it at arms length moving forward.

Do not pass. Do not collect $200.

Holy crap, Bluebeard is terrifying! I know that, on me, it smells like an ice cold knife, with moonlight reflecting off it, laying in a puddle of drying blood. O.o It gave me nightmares-literally!

Another one which is dark (to me, at least) is The High Priest Not To Be Described, from the Picnic in Arkham line (currently discontinued, sadly. :( ). On me, it was a hot, cinnamon-like incense. But it wasn't nice and holy like Cathedral, ooooooh no. This was the scent of the temple-palace at the heart of Hell, where souls of the damned are offered in tribute to Satan.

The fact that it burned a bit helped the overall creepy/dark/evil effect, too. :P

I found Silenti not "dark" exactly, but ghostly and haunted. Like an old, well cared for house by a graveyard. a bit creepy in a pleasant way.

I think almost everyone else got "wilted flowers" though.

Evil has sweet plum, of course, but there's also something like an unsavory cloud of yellowish tobacco smoke and haze that's starting to disturb me a bit. Like an evil conference room.

German Expressionist Horror is like an old theater with dusty velvet curtains and a silent pine forest. It's dark in a non-evil way.

Debauchery is the darkest (both in color and feeling) Ars Amorata scent I've tried.

I don't get either dark or evil from Pain or Bluebeard, though. They mostly smell just like masculine colognes to me.

Edited by patina

I actually wore Pain to my last dentist visit hehe - kept that tidbit to myself at the time ;)

Very fitting I'm sure, I'm resigned enough to the pokey instruments before I get to the dentist to want a scent reminder, though! :lol:

I love pain. The pennyroyal is loud...but the lavendar softens it a bit and it dries down beautifully.

I wish I had amped the lavender more, because it was almost wholly pennyroyal on me, and the lavender was just a weird, uncomfortable whisper in the background.

Very fitting I'm sure, I'm resigned enough to the pokey instruments before I get to the dentist to want a scent reminder, though! :lol:

I wish I had amped the lavender more, because it was almost wholly pennyroyal on me, and the lavender was just a weird, uncomfortable whisper in the background.

I thought of it more as a ward against Pain =) (as well as my private joke hehe)

It could just be me, but The Seekim (Pickman Gallery 2011) was very sinister. I actually felt chaos and disturbance in my mind when I skin-tested it. If entropy had a scent, it would smell like this. Other blends that evoked chaos and destructiveness were Misericordia and Vampire Tears, although they weren't as spooky as the Seekim.

To me, Ekhidna is quite dark - it totally lives up to its namesake and is very dark and quite menacing.

I don't know if it's just mental, but Blood Countess makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I also had the strangest ever experience last year with Dracul, I got it as a Frimp from the Lab, but strangely (as everything from the Lab is bubble wrapped and nothing has ever broken before or since) the imp was broken in half, and as I (so I thought ) carefully picked it up the glass cut me, and yes, drew blood.

I love ghost stories and things haunted and haunting - always have. :wub2:

That said, I found Zombi deeply disturbing. I really cannot wear it and I have no wish to ever smell it again.

Haunted made me feel very melancholy, to the point where after wearing it for ten minutes, I burst into tears for no reason. However, now that my grief over my father's death is not quite so fresh I may try it again.

Crossroads is disquieting for a reason I can't really put my finger on, unless it's just my own interpretation of the associations. Come to think of it, this is weird because I find crossroad folklore quite fascinating.

House of Night. I find this scent incredibly spooky, but in a way I enjoy. It is so evocative of that feeling you get when you're in a place that you just know contains echoes of the past in one form or another.

Lucy, Kissed...I love the character and Beth has really captured her corruption perfectly, imo.

I don't know if it's just mental, but Blood Countess makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I also had the strangest ever experience last year with Dracul, I got it as a Frimp from the Lab, but strangely (as everything from the Lab is bubble wrapped and nothing has ever broken before or since) the imp was broken in half, and as I (so I thought ) carefully picked it up the glass cut me, and yes, drew blood.

oh wow...THAT is freaky stella!! :eek:

i have found that nosferatu really freaks me out. the dirt/grit note is just SO realistic that i feel like i'm in a cemetery or mausoleum and the red wine note adds the unsettling feeling that someone else is there too... :nervous:

Mine would be...

Séance

Blood Countess

German Expressionist Horror

Centzon Totochtin

Zombi

Midnight

Phantasm

Haunted

Veil

Blood Kiss