Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cinder

The absolute darkest scents? dark, ghostly, haunting, scary,

I'm sure most won't agree, but Monsterbait: Underbed is a very foody dark to me. I really think of it as being the scent incarnation of a very gritty grey-black. Can't get much darker than that!

For me Malediction is probably the darkest BPAL I own- it's very black and brown- burnt and sinister. I looove it. I also really find the Great He Goat to be a very dark scent as well- with a tiny hint of fruitiness to lure you in... :P

My favorite dark and spooky blend is Pumpkin #5 from 2005/2006.

My review of it...

This one is lonely and desolate, dry leaves, green ivy climbing up the trees in a deciduous wood. There is no pine in here. It is a walk through haunted autumnal woods.

This is wonderful, it brings to mind all the lonely and scary parts of Halloween. It makes me think of the Headless Horseman story, Ichabod's eerie ride home after the party at Katrina's house when he meets the horseman. Of Snow White running through the forest after the woodsman lets her go. Of Hansel and Gretel, and the walk through the woods, when the trail is gone. Of the goblins and ghouls, that you knew were lurking behind every tree on All Hallow's Eve.

It isn't a scary blend to me though, it is a walk through childhood memories of haunts and spooks. And for me, what has always been one of my favorite holidays, has now been captured in a bottle.

Absolutely, the best of the pumpkin blends.

Edited by Finny

The Black Tower and De Sade are my favorite "dark" scents, although I don't find them ghostly or haunting... just dead-sexy.

For ghostly or haunting I would probably turn to Seance (dried rose potpourri in a dank basement) or The Premature Burial (a breath of flowers over damp, mossy earth).

Laudanum smells like darkness closing in around to me... you're sucked in by the sassafras sweetness, but the myrrh and nutmeg and opium just bottom it out. It's intoxicating-- if only it didn't turn to powder once it hits my skin!

The House is the creepiest bpal I've come across. It smells like a secret place that's been haunted for centuries.

I only wish that Typhon was still available..... :P

Thus far I really love the dark power of Anubis. I wear it its like a dark God possesses me.

I really love sort of the dark evil scents, and right now I've been on a poisoned apple kick, because, seriously, it's an evil apple. So I'm interested in your favourite dark or evil scents, especially if you can think of an evil alcohol notes--because my skin loves booze notes, or candy notes.

(I would die for some evil candy.)

Suggestions?

Hmmm.

Agrat Bat Mahlat-an evil alcoholic caramel apple.

Horror Sympathetique- boozy dark berry scent.

Boomslang- Dark, spicy chocolate.

Shub Niggurath- Evil Gingerbread!

That's about all from the top of my head... may come up with some more later :)

Evil, evil.... I think for me that would be Event Horizon: Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin. Opium flowers prettyyyy.

Lady Macbeth sounds right up your alley: sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

I mean, it may not literally smell evil? But c'mon, it's Lady Macbeth!

And uh, Arcana ha(d) Poison Candy. *g* Just thought you should know.

Black Annis (Black Annis' perfume is a mixture of damp cave lichen and oak leaf with a hint of vetiver, civet and anise)

Musky, dark, slightly rocky and scary. It smells like being chased.

The Great Sword of War (Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.)

This is just a general dark, take on the world, kick ass and take names sort of scent.

Queen (For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.)

I get vetiver, honey and pine from it. It jibes very well with its intent.

Black Rose (a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.)

A very dark, velvety and sinister rose. It smells like the Wicked Queen.

Bloodlust (Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.)

Maniacal is probably the best way to describe this. It has a bit of a mad Bond villain bent to it.

The first thing that comes to mind is Hellcat (A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond). It's boozy and sweet and at least a little bit evil :twisted:

I guess this depends on your perception of dark and evil but here are some blends I tried that I find evil-smelling :)

I second Bloodlust.

Serpent's Kiss is very much in that category as well, both are Dragon's Blood based and are dark, red scents that are evil in a very agressive way, making me think of violence and bloodshed.

Not only evil but also vile: Malediction - the patchouli and vetivert are really dirty, smoky but somehow sweet and acrid together. Something I could imagine a demon from hell wearing. Not really pleasant. But fascinating, I still keep my imp.

And also look through the Picknick in Arkham scents and the Diabolus scents. Lots of evil concepts there.

Bluebeard is also very evil. Especially fresh from the lab the lavender and vetivert are very prominent and bitter and the white musk and violet are a very cold background. Nothing warm or friendly about this scent, just cold, seething hate.

Djinn. Smells like something is on fire.

And I almost forgot Czernobog! Whoa. I shudder to think of him. A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein says the lab.

Hope some of that helps, sorry that I am not much help with sweet and boozy evil though.

I definitely second Black Annis, Djinn, Czernobog, and Serpent's Kiss.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was definitely evil booze on me, but my reaction seems to be somewhat unusual so far.

Black Lotus could be evil candy...lotus smells like bubblegum on many people, and Black Lotus has a wonderfully dark myrrh base.

I found Blood Countess too evil to wear myself. :smile:

Edited by blu°

I agree that Black Annis is very evil. I scared myself, wearing it. I didn't want to embody that spirit.

Glasya, the Princess of Hell is my all-time favorite scent. I don't know if she's evil or not, but she's hot and fiery and sensual and commanding. And she makes me feel strong.

I consider Fazia, the Black Mamba to be a humid, heady, ever-changing, dark-seductive scent. It smells kinda sweet, kinda resinous, but nothing’s exactly easy to define, and the green adds a slight bite to it.

Perversion’s also another steamy-sexy-but-kinda sweet blend.

Maenad is sweetened up with strawberries, orange blossoms, and carnations but there’s also a heady twist of black poppies.

Malkuth, the Sephiroth blend is similar to Maenad, but more juicy, and incense-soaked.

…and Death Adder is sweet vanilla-coconut, with opoponax to make it interesting, but then there’s a dark twist of vetiver that acts like the leather in Perversion.

The Chapel from the Carnaval is definitely an evil scent - "black incense, bitter wine, brimstone, and blood." It makes me feel malicious. ;)

I was just about to say The Chapel, but the previous poster beat me to it. I've tried a lot of BPAL scents at this point -- I think I'm closing in on my 600th review or something insane like that -- but the Chapel is without a doubt the one that most emphatically says SERIOUSLY EVIL DARK MAGIC to me.