Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Roadhouse

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

Truck stop sleaze whaaaaaaa? No. I disagree with you, Official Lab Description.

Roadhouse is dissected dandelions -- sharp and green like the inside of the stems, and a little bit floral -- when it's wet. Dry, it's pretty! PRETTY! I have been to truck stops. The ones we stop at are mostly clean, but I would not call even the most sanitized one PRETTY. It's hard for me to pick out notes, but it's like a sweet, fresh white-yellow floral with green underneath, maybe with a little bit of something like tobacco, but tobacco amps on me and this isn't.

It's not really something I'd wear, but it is PRETTY. Edited by karen

In the imp, I'm definitely getting the booze and the dandelion, it's almost like mead. On my skin, it's pretty much dandelions and booze, with the former amping. We'll see what happens here. It's coming out as a really sweet booze scent, going to give this a fuller skin test at a later date.

On the second skin test, this is still very much the floral booze scent. It turns into something that has this vaguely metallic/shampooish scent on the full skin test, but light application might keep that floral booze, so I'll keep the imp, but I won't go for the bottle.

Edited by Venneh

Frimp from the Lab that was actually on my wishlist anyway :D I'm especially hoping for a lot of dandelion, I love dandelions.

In the imp - booze, tobacco, dandelions and hemp.

On wet - Blergh! Not great so far. I mean, it does capture the essence of roadhouse very well but something in there, possible the hemp, is not doing great things to my stomach. Let's leave it alone to dry for a bit :P

Drydown - there's just something really stomach-turning about this for me, maybe it's just my skin chemistry - but this almost smells like rotten leaves. No dandelions, no hops, just not particularly sexy booze, hemp, and rotten leaves. Woe.

Imp: Dandelions. Lots and lots of dandelions and a wee hint of beer.

Wet: Still lots of dandelions. The question, of course, is am I just sensitive to the scent of dandelions or am I actually amping them? We'll never know because there is no one around to ask. There's also a scent in here like aloe vera. I think it's the hops.

Dry: Huh. It's kind of like homemade dandelion wine, which is... an experience. There is a brandy or cognac-like scent here that is like dandelion wine. Weird. Still, it's predominantly warm, sweet dandelions with a swirl of booze and definitely a hint of beer in there. In fact it's that smells waking up after a rough night at a brew pub, picking the clothes you wore up off the floor and catching a hint of stale beer as you attempt to huck them into the hamper and then stumble into the kitchen for coffee. With dandelions. The weird part is that it's not entirely unpleasant. The hops seem to sort of liven it up and give it a bit of zippy greenness. In fact, despite the occasional whiff of beer, it winds up being a sort of offbeat summery floral.

Throw: Somewhere between mild to moderate.

Overall: Huh. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't a summer floral... that smells like a hangover.

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil, delightfully sweet green flower. Must be the dandelion.

Wet: Sweet green flower, something that evokes a scent memory that I can't put my finger on... almost like... pineapple? Or pears. Canned pears. Yes, that's definitely it.

Dry: Tasty, mouthwatering fresh pears right off the tree. Or honeysuckle, but without it being so violent as it usually is on me.

After a few minutes: Now a faint hint of something herbal and hempy. I was hoping for better quality... hemp, but it seems to be faintly redolent of burning tire. The pears are gone specifically, but this blend still feels very sweet and fruity.

After first hour: The fruits are starting to sharpen, and things are getting smoky and incensy.

After two and a half hours: More of the same

After 5 hours: Totally gone.

Final verdict: Quite mild and pretty, but it doesn't fill me with covetousness.

In the bottle: Green grassy hint of sweetness

First on: Drat, I am *not* getting "meadow" out of this - I'm getting tea-rose, bordering on soapy! Not sure how. :( I guess that when I'm not actively thinking "dandelion" that's what my brain compensates.

Random comparisons against other stuff I have & like: Against Little Bird, another green-floral, Little Bird has an almost-citrus to it that is way better. As is Litha - more rich, less thin and not going soapy. And Rosalind is brighter and not soapy.

Darn it, I had super-high hopes for another meadowy scent, and I'm bummed it doesnt' work on my skin!

Lab frimp. Wet, it smells like various greenery with the dandelion adding sweetness. The tobacco comes out a bit more as it dries, smelling almost anise-y. As it dries down though, this really reminds me of the spices in Bastirma (dried spiced beef in Armenian cuisine). It's tasty, but not something I would want to smell like...

I've been thinking about getting Roadhouse off and on ever since the beginning of season 2 of Supernatural and the introduction of Ellen Harvelle and Harvelle's Roadhouse. And after playing Ellen in an online RPG for well over a year, I finally broke down and ordered an imp.

In the imp: Almost peppery green, I could see it as crushed dandelion stems. Something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Wet: The fresh almost spicy green is still there, but now it's surrounded in the sweetness of dried tobacco, with hints of hemp. Oh, this is good. Seriously good. Arm attached to nose kind of good. What do you mean I have to stop sniffing my wrist long enough to type up this part of my review notes kind of good.

Dry down: This dries fairly quickly, and without the scent changing much from the way it was when first applied.

Dry: Faint whiffs of indeterminate booziness flicker after a while, little bits sloshed or spilled over the course of a night of drinking on a lawn somewhere. But the overall scent stays true to what it's been the whole time.

Overall: I like this way more than I thought I would, and can't believe I waited so long to try it. Stays close to the skin, doesn't last as long as I would like, but is still faintly there after 3-4 hours.

Impressions: Color ~ bright green, sunlit. Texture ~ very smooth. Shape ~ long, thin cylinder.

Wet: this is good. The lighter greener brother of Unsavory Gravediggers. The hops amps 1st, followed by the booze and dandelion. Green boozy passed out in the grass fun.

Drydown: the tobacco comes out more and the booze and hops deepen and the mix sweetens to a wonderfully intoxicating level. This actually sticks around for hours on my skin. Unexpected love fascination with this one.

This is an interesting scent!

Wet it smells green and fresh. On my skin I can smell dandelions it's fresh and sweet.Dry on skin I can still smell the dandelions but now I can smell beer. I rarely drink beer but when I do it's usually on tap and that is what it smells like. I don't get tobacoo (so sad about that) and even though I don't enjoy much the smell of beer I'm enjoying this scent. I know I won't be buying a big bottle of Roadhouse but I'm going to enjoy my imp!

In the bottle: the extremely weedy sweetness of the dandelion tones really nicely with the hemp and an odor of alcohol. it smells like very late summer, almost into autumn's chilly breath, and too much burning pavement. the sweetness in it almost reminds me of the sweetness in Dirty, in that it's a bit optimistic, but with more grit.

On my skin: the dandelion sweetness quickly gives way to alcohol spilled on hot pavement once it's on my skin. then the hemp comes in, along with tobacco to cover it, hard and fast. this is a very grown-up scent, but in a trashy sort of way. a little too much hemp and alcohol for my taste, but I really like the dandelion and pavement combination.

Last thoughts: really unique blend, and not one I would've thought I'd like. the alcohol and hemp are just strong enough to keep me from falling totally in love with this scent. it's pleasantly musky-sweet, seems like it'd be perfect for road trips.

I will have to be honest, I don't know what dandelion smells like...to be honest, I just don't quite know what to expect from this blend.

Huh...in the imp this is a light weedy floral. A tiny touch of tobacco but I don't notice any hemp, hops, or booze. This almost smells...delicate. Like, a delicate kind of weed. Which I guess is sort of like a dandelion :lol:

Ok, on my skin this is far less 'delicate'-a green and brown weedy scent. I get the tobacco in this, though I still don't really get booze. Maybe a touch of hops. Mostly though, this is an earthy scent with a bit of sweetness. Almost grassy? Hard to put my finger on.

As it dries, it ended up smelling like soap. Not soapy, but like, a bar of generic soap out of the wrapper. So weird. Like some plain moderately manly soap my bf would use which is what this ended up on. What an odd blend. But maybe it's good that it didn't ACTUALLY smell like a filthy truck stop on me :lol:

In imp: this is a sweet and heady blend, with a bit of booze that sometimes is very faint, and sometimes strong, but not altogether unpleasant. I suppose the dandelions are giving it the floral tinge that I am getting.

Wet on skin: something that is decidedly green is coming out now, on par with the floral scent. It's bright and clean, with only a touch of weediness--no sleaze here! Slightly fizzy to my nose, there is a faint beer-y smell, but it's more of an afterthought than the main attraction.

Dry: unexpectedly good! It's a nice light floral with a dash of green and booze, rather enjoyable. The headiness in the imp is gone. Later on, there is a sour note at times that I can't place, it's worrying me a little.

Verdict: I'm actually still undecided on if this one warrants a bottle for me or not. I tested it twice and I'm still not decided--on both times the faint sour note is there. It's not unpleasant, per se, but it's not wonderful either. I'll have to give this a pass for now, but it's still a very nice, surprising scent.

Wow, I'm in love with Roadhouse! That's most unexpected, given the notes listed and the connotation. First on, it's almost-but-not-quite-soapy. It smells very clean, with a hint of sweetness.

It dries down to a soft, slightly-sweet, slightly-spicy deliciousness.

You know, this may just be in my top 10.

This is mostly beer and dandelions wet. And eventually just dandelions. Interesting, but not really what I imagined from a Roadhouse. Maybe I watch too much Supernatural? ;)

Smells of warmed up wine in the imp. :eek:

On my skin it's grass, dandelions and still a sort of sweet wine, I'm not getting any tobacco. The booze amps a lot when it's drying. This is such a weird scent!

Roadhouse ends up as a sweet boozy grassy scent. There is also some soapiness lurking beneath the grit. Too jumbled for me but I'm glad to have had a chance to try it.

This is mostly beer and dandelions wet. And eventually just dandelions. Interesting, but not really what I imagined from a Roadhouse. Maybe I watch too much Supernatural? ;)

Haha. I know I do.

I'm still torn on if this is too sweet for me to get away with. I think I can, but it's on the edge, partly because it's so light. My female friend here said it was "lovely," when wet. I'm not wearing something "lovely," sorry, but then when it mellows out, more of the tobacco and beer come out, and that's pretty good. Because... beer. But not cheap beer, more like a microbrew draft pale ale. Which I now want.

I thought from the description I'd hate this, but I like it enough to see if I can get away with wearing this to work. Interesting.

I got this as a frimp and tested it without checking the notes first.

Initially, it put an image of little white spring flowers, narcissus and lilly of the valley and what not. Maybe its a flower fairy road house?

Then it went a little soapy, and I thought of expensive European soap. Maybe its a Parisian Roadhouse for rich people?

Checking the notes, oh, its dandelion. Okay. All I get is dandelion. None of the other notes pop up at all, though maybe the booze is what is causing me to think narcissus instead of dandelion as I'm thinking about it. Its actually really pretty, the sort of thing I might wear to a wedding, very little throw, very clean and mild. If you like dandelion, don't miss this.

I had my husband sniff it and tell me what he thought it smelled like: "Tumeric!" Oookay. Then I told him the notes and he said, yeah, tumeric = beer and dandelion. I don't think I trust his interpretation.

In the really far dry down there is a hint of tobacco, maybe but its unsmoked and blends super well with the dandelion/booze.

Overall: this was an unexpected pleasant surprise. I think I may keep this imp.

I received this as a frimp with my last order and tried it on without reading the description first. Ha! It had me so confused!

In the imp it was boozy and a little smokey with something kind of like stomped grass. I thought about the outside of some of the , ah, rougher places I've been in my life without the stale piss and other unsavory smells that accompany all of that. Certainly evocative of the name.

Wet: Almost any BPAL I test I'll test in two places, my wrists and the crooks of my arms. Invariably the scents at least differ slightly from one spot to the other. The difference in Roadhouse was pronounced. On my wrists, it almost instantly went soapy and aquatic, almost like the aquatics in Cthulu. It was a very clean scent there with also a touch of something I recalled from the RPG series in Thief. After looking it up, I realized that had to be the hemp.

In the crooks of my arms, completely different experience! It smells exactly like the last few swallows at the bottom of a can of what I call yard beer, the dirt cheap stuff that cuts the dust out of your throat after a day of mowing, like Miller High Life. Beer and aluminum can, plus a kind of bitter, in your face herbal green.

Dry down: The aquatic at my wrist went more to ash tray. The beer and crushed greens at the crook of my arm stayed the same. I know it doesn't sound like a flattering description, but somehow it all works. I don't need a bottle of this. I am going to hang onto my imp and enjoy it as something novel and different when I don't want to smell like something pretty or seductive. As an interpretation of a road house without the most unsavory smells, I'd say they nailed this one dead to rights.

This must be the prettiest truck stop ever.

Roadhouse smells like a grassy field full of dandelions. Maybe someone's just come through with a lawn mower, because it's a wet, stemmy kind of green smell. It's very fresh and springy...no sign of beer or tobacco or sleaze for me.

Alas, it disappears too quickly, even in my hair.

Really was looking forward to this one but it smells gross on my skin.

It smells sleazy and stale. When I sniff this I get an image of a dirty, concrete floor with spilt, flat beer and oil stains on it. Wierd, I know.

Worst than that, it has a lot of throw and I couldn't completely scrub it off my skin :rasp:

My experience was more like Muskimeg's than Atrous' as it is a sun warmed meadow to me. Not fresh or cool with morning dew, but a late spring meadow around midday when the air is getting hot and there are motes of pollen in the air. (I'm not allergic, so my pleasant connotation may not be shared by everyone!) I'm not getting any booze, but the tobacco and hemp may be translating as green weediness. I LOVE this so much and am glad I got it as a frimp. Short list for a bottle.

Edited by rinster

This smells like money on me.

Like, literal money. Take a bill out of your wallet, press it against your nose, and take a whiff. That's how this smells on me.

I have no idea what note is causing it. I suspect it might be the tobacco. But needless to say, I'll be passing this imp on. As much as I like the more, ahem, sophisticated and expensive-smelling perfumes, I want them to be a LEETLE bit more subtle in screaming "MONEY MONEY MONEY".

Score: 4/10

In the imp and wet on me, I get milky dandelions. What a supremely lovely scent! It doesn't evoke truck stops for me, but rather playing as a kid and picking dandelions because they were far too pretty to be just a weed. There's a hint of sharpness from one of the other notes, but at this point, it could be a SN Dandelion. As it warms, it starts peeking into powder territory. I find it a surprisingly innocent, sweet scent. No hint of booze, tobacco, or hemp, just a soft, powdery dandelion. I may let my daughter have this, assuming she doesn't get any of the less-savory notes as it would be perfect for a young girl as it smells on me.