Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SeaLady

Wolf Moon 2007

This pale and glittering moon hangs high over the deep snows and freezing winds of midwinter. January's full moon has been named the Wolf Moon by many cultures, as the nights are filled with the howls of ravenous wolf packs, and the danger of falling prey to the animal's desperate hunger is at its peak.

This scent is that of unending, unquenchable hunger and feral madness. This is the dead of winter: a frozen night, chill wind, and the sharp, warm perfume of blood, fur, fang, and claw. Winter air, Terebinth pine, juniper berry, dusty orris, deep amber, white sandalwood, black musk, blue cedar, and tonka.

This is what I've been daydreaming about!

In the bottle, it's pine and juniper, and sort of sweet in a fruity way, though it doesn't smell at all like fruit. It's warm and a little spicy.
It's similar to Golden Priapus (in that I LOVE them both!) - I've been dying for pine and juniper, 'tis the season, I suppose :D But this is less vanilla and amber, and more of the sharp scents.

On me after it dries, the musk and amber really comes out. If it was possible to sit in the woods by a fire after the rain without smelling the smoke from the fire, that's what this smells like. Warmth while the air is cool, and fragrant pines. Totally appropriate for Christmas, but it doesn't scream "Christmas tree" at me. It'll compliment the tree - but it smells more like the tree's native habitat ^.^

On a scale of one to love, this puppy (haha!) gets a whole lot of love! :P :D

(If I should have started a new thread for this, please feel free to move it! I'm just going by the guideline that says revisited scents should share a thread, since there's been no official decree that this is a different mix.)

MOD NOTE: My official rule is that if it has a new description, it gets a new thread. Hence the split. :) Also, though the release date was in 2006, remember each Lunacy is released a month before the full moon it celebrates, so this scent is for Wolf Moon 2007 (which happens in January). --Shollin

this is the 2006 version...

straight sniff from bottle is super sweet pine and juniper berry...

absolutely deightful!! :P

once applied it warms up beautifully and the amber, musk and sandalwood

with the perfect touch of cedar...the throw is phenomenal as well...this

is so awesome and i am so glad i took a chance on this lunacy!!!

WOLF MOON 2006

In Bottle: Woody pine

On Skin: The 2006 is a much more piney/woody scent than the 2004 version. 2004’s seem much more light and slightly aquatic. This years version is much more outdoorsy and sweet. The juniper berry has a sappy sweetness, the pine, sandalwood and cedar give very robust woody notes. The amber is beautiful and adds warmth along with the dark musk. Gorgeous. The tonka doesn’t really stand out on it’s own but I think it’s helps sweeten the scent overall. There is a cold feel to this scent, even with some of the warmer notes. I would describe it as a chilling scent with a beautiful warm center. I think it is completely different than the 2004 version but that’s fine, it’s an amazing scent on it’s own. I would also tell people who worry about the pine note to still give it a try. While it is a woody scent, there are so many levels that I wouldn’t just cast it off as “a pine scent”. I personally am not fond of pine scents but I think this blend is a keeper. The overall feeling it evokes and how absolutely feral and wild it feels makes it worth trying. Strong throw and long wearlength.

I'm another person that's not overly fond of pine scents, but there's something sweet and wild that keeps me sniffing my wrist.

Pine and cedar are definatly at the forefront, but there's a sweet deepness that I really am enjoying.

preconceptions on this blend, had me a bit scared of the chill winds, winter air aspects. i am not an ozoney type gal so here goes.

in the bottle:wowsers. no scary ozoney feel for me. it is reminecent of tintagel, but less wine type note. i defintely get the pine, but also detect the musk and sandalwood

wet:pine, soft sweet pine boughs. but yes a sweetness,that i believe comes from the orris...but i can't be sure

as it dries it softens, the pine allows others to debut, the sandalwood softens and gives a glitery quality. musk helps it all stick and orris is sweetening the whole thing still. all in all this is a cozy, wintery blend, that reminds me of a warm snuggle in front of the fire. (as a side note i also am reminded of golden priapus w/ this blend)

While Wolf Moon 2006 smells piney and a bit musky in the bottle, it turns quickly to a very bright, crisp forest smell. This is truly the smell of junipers and cedars on a really cold, clear winter night. There is a snap to the forest smell, for it's not a green sappy smell. It's like you walked through ice and snow-crusted junipers and cedars and as the snow and ice fell from the branches the smell of the trees wafted up through the icy air. I detect a little bit of the black musk, because it always seems a bit peppery to my nose, but it only enhances the sharpness of the forest smells. For me, this isn't a warm and cozy winter blend, but rather a wonderful evocation of a cold forest and high, lonely hills in the dead of winter.

Color me another person surprised that she could wear a pine forest blend!

At first it's all harsh pines that trigger just the barest hint of my ashema (And that's a hard thing to do!) but after awhile the musks temper the blend with the tonka barely sweetening it. The juniper berry amps a bit adding a sweetest berry blend. It sticks close to my skin and fades after 4 hours leaving the barest trade of pines, musks and sweet tonka.

Wolf Moon is a hoooowwwllllinnngg hit for me. ((Someone had to say it. >< ))

Wolf Moon hangs bright and clear in the sky over a forest of evergreens, reflected in sparkling blue-black waters. This is a pure, fresh breath of air carried over mountain snows and tumbling through valleys full of pine and cedar.

The lab's snow note is strong in this blend, unlike the previous Wolf Moon where it was somewhat melted and slushy. But cedar takes the center stage early for me, a very deep green cedar that rises up out of the moonlit snow.

It subsides for a time and a faintly fruity note emerges, probably a combination of juniper with the warmth of amber, but then in the later stages a dry cedar rises like a column of smoke in the night sky.

It's definitely a fair bit different from the first Wolf Moon, but in the same family. Lunacy blends rarely work for me, but this one is spectacular.

Wolf Moon is not as coniferous as you would expect from all the evergreen notes. The juniper berries are very apparent, the tonka adds a vanilla note, and the musk may be going a little animal.

It reminds me of warm fur on a cold day. Definitely animal. Very evocative.

Wolf Moon smells like my favorite part of Loup Garou -- the sweet smell after you wear it for a little while.

I was a little leery of the musk notes, 'cause musk usually turns crazy strong on me, but the musk in this smells so good. I didn't smell a lot of the woody notes after the drydown, just the spicey ones, which was fine with me. As my mom said, it smells like cookies.

**Edit** And another plus is how much my girlfriend loves it. I may need to swap for some more bottles of it, just for her.

Edited by rhubarbcream

I'm so glad I took a chance on this! Pine and musk can be iffy on me, but the pine here is very gentle, and the musk is warm and sweet. I definitely smell the cold night air, and it contrasts beautifully with the warmth of the amber and musk. Gorgeous!

Wolf Moon '06 desperately wants to either be baby powder or musky men’s cologne on my skin, but is worse than either of those things. The orris and amber do their thing, going intensely dry and powdery the second that they touch my skin. The black musk lingers in the background, smelling cold and sharply perfumey. I had hoped that the pine and winter air would save this for me… but no such luck. Powdery, cheap men’s cologne (and something almost spicy?).

In the drydown, some of the juniper berry comes out and this reminds me a lot of The Salon’s The Isle of the Dead (which I also dislike).

I wish that this were sweet and piney on me as other reviewers have described. Wolf Moon is dry, sharply perfumey, and unpleasantly herbal-sweet on my skin. I’ll be giving away my decant and hoping that my bottle of Lycaon likes me more.

This is another scent that evokes vivid imagery for me. A big wolfy, Spitzy dog, come to meet you from his run in the forest. Night, wintertime. His coat is covered with snow and pine needles. Cold tree-scent. Refreshing. Could be worn by a man as easily as a woman; I'll have to get my husband to stop putting on the Dee long enough to try this.

In the bottle: Piney and cold. Promising.

Wearing: Sigh. This behaves on me pretty much like all of the lab's snow blends. I get a lovely cold forest for about a minute, and then everything goes super sweet on me in a fruitish-sweet floral way. The drydown is a sweet berry-ish scent, tonka (which I'm starting to realize is a note that can be really bad on me in abundance) and a touch of evergreen.

For comparison's sake it smells like Snow Moon/Snow Bunny initially and the drydown is very reminiscent of Yew-Trees, actually (which I loved until the berry and tonka took over)

It's better than last year's (which was an aquatic/heady floral nightmare on me) but still not a keeper. :P My moon hates me!

Disclaimer: This is all clearly due to my wacko chemistry - I would defy you to tell the difference on my skin between any of the "snow" blends. It's downright bizarre.

Wolf Moon 2006 is an incredible scent

On me it's a cold scent of frozen lichen covered stone in a pine forest on a chill night with the scent of snow in the air.

On the husband it's the wolf pack hunting through that same forest. Warm and musky with the scent of prey in their nostrils and the snowy forest as a backdrop.

Very evocative and a big hit with both of us.

Wolf Moon 2006 makes me want to cry; it's a beautiful winter woods with a touch of berry for about an hour then becomes so faint as to be almost gone on me. Grrs!

I shall try again :P

Wolf Moon is deep and murky at first....seems aquatic to me, somehow, with pine. There is a sweet/tart fruitiness that reminds me a little bit of Bayou. Then after a while, the juniper blooms in a big way (and in this case I don't hate the juniper...I actually like it!). It's a complex blend that I really like. I couldn't 'find' some of the notes listed....amber and black musk are nowhere to be found on my skin, unless they are quietly supporting the other notes. All in all a wonderful scent, although it's kind of quiet and brooding on me, and I wish it had just a little more throw. This is a keeper, I think.

This scent smells like the forest in winter to me. Very cold. When I first put it on I thought it was waaaaay too strong, but it calmed down a lot in the first few minutes. There's a nose-tingling briskness to it.

I have a similar problem as wolfie13 with the Lab's snowy blends and my skin chemistry. For some reason they all kind of smell the same on me. I feel like I've smelled this same scent in about ten other blends. Stupid skin.

I guess I don't need to keep this one since I have Snow Bunny and that seems to be my favorite for this kind of scent. Sigh.

Okay, I was prepared to be unenthusiastic about this blend. How many evergreen/winter scents does a girl need?

This does have a warmth and subtlety that is distinctive.

oh! it's beautiful! smells just like a forest with snow falling. at dusk...cold, crisp...lots of evergreen trees and berries. it's not as sweety-fru-fru as snow bunny, but it is in that same camp. in the bottle and on my skin it is mostly the tree smells - pine, juniper and a drop of berry, not too much. i know there is musk in here too, it's pretty faint tho, next to all that winter greenery. the tonka is in there, tho sorta faint..it comes out more as the scent dries down, providing a warm, cozy undercurrent. i dunno what else i can add - i really like it - it is a very "true to nature" facsimile of the woods, and for that reason alone, it puts me in a great, free-feeling mood.

In bottle: All juniper and cedar.

On me: Still all juniper. Not sure about it as a perfume for me, but I think this would smell great on a man or as a room scent. It tries to fool you into thinking it's cold, but really this is a deeply warm scent.

Score: 4

In the bottle I smell the juniper and the pine strongly. It smells like a clean forest in the winter and makes me want to go hiking.

Wearing it, the cedar comes to the front and is a bit overpowering for the first half hour or so, I feel a bit like I am wearing and air freshener. As it mellows the sandalwood and the amber come out and it balances everything. The more time goes by the more I think I really like it.

Cold, fresh, but sweet, some sort of evergreen but I don't  know exactly what it is, I've smelled it before but I can't identify the source, I'm guessing it's the juniper.  And just a little hint of sandalwood and warmth, as if you crawled under the branches of an unusually fragrant evergreen - maybe like the potpourri or scented candles a tree might use to scent it's environment - to get out of the wind and the snow.  And more sweet.  I didn't expect so much sweet but I really like it. I seem to like everything so far...probably means that when I get the bottles of stuff I ordered unsniffed I'm gonna hate them! Not much throw, but I didn't put that much on. A guy could easily wear this too...mmmm...

:P

I am very happy with this moon. In the bottle it has all the possibilities of an obsession.

On my skin it lasts a very long time. It feels like a relative of it's lunar "brother", Lycaon, but with a chillier feel, must be the pine and cedar. The amber and sandalwood combine to warm me, the musk to heat me up, and the tonka kind of sweetens the mix a little.

I am thinking that this one will be even better with a little time.

This is definitely one of the best Moons I have had the pleasure to encounter.