Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

June Gloom 2004

Teddy's gloriously dismal creation. As a lover of rainy days, grey skies and chill air, summer is his antithesis. A spell of June Gloom is always welcome in our household. A bouquet of bright summer flowers dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain.

In the imp: whoa verbena and lemon-scented kitchen cleanser.

On me, wet: kitchen cleanser! Oh god, it smells like it should be eating into my flesh from the acidity.

On me, dry: it stays as lemon kitchen cleanser - in fact, as it dries it smells like kitchen cleaner residue, if anything.

Verdict: Enh, very glad I got to try it, but I really don't need to keep this.

Right away, "June" is in the lemony-citrus with "Gloom" being a bluish purple undertone. Then the prominent lemon begins to fade to sort of a blood-orange Moxie with something like violets (?) coming forward, then quickly goes to a pale lemon iced Giant Purple Bearded Iris - one of my favorite fragrant flowers.

I LOVE it. June Gloom is glorious and sits squarely next to Queen of Diamonds and Darkling Thrush as my favorite limited editions.

Thank you, Ted! Encore, Beth!!!

In the bottle: LEMON!!!! Not the lemon of Embalming Fluid, this is a very sharp, nearly bitter industrial-cleaner-like lemon. Uck.

Wet: It immediately softens, on the skin. There's something hazy and dewy about it, all of a sudden, although it's still quite strong citrus.

Drydown: It's all tangy with ozone, nearly metallic lemon. I don't get any florals, but I do get the morning mist and rain impression, but the difference is, it's on a bowl of lemons rather than on flowers. Then I get a hint of a sickly sweet floral, way in the background. Maybe rose water stifled with lemon.

Overall: It's always the same for me with these blends: at times they smell like dew or fresh air, but most of the time they have definite toilet-cleaner smells, specially from the mix of ozone and florals. And unfortunately, the more it dries down, the more it smells like toilets. Ew.

Dusky lemonade.

I like lemons but I'm probably not so down with the dusky part and that's why June Gloom is not up my lemon-strewn alley. (I hope that was mixed enough.)

This scent is relaxing and cheerful (hello, lemon!) but in a very muted way. I almost envision an aura of subtle sunshine and happiness that is surrounded by grey skies and clouds that are pouring down rain. This reminds me of Portland's liquid sunshine, of melancholy days, and soft gentle rays of sunshine that poke into the window as the clouds momentarily part. Eeyore, is that you?

In the imp: Lemony verbena

On Skin: Lemon verbena explosion! I'm also getting a dreaded 'cleaner/soapy' vibe to it.

Drydown: Lemon pledge. :P

Verdict: I do have to say that this is bright AND sunny, just not the way I expected. I sort of expected it to be slightly mistier and not so clean. Ah well. I'm sure there will be someone who will love this more than I will.

i just received a decant of this from a kind forumite!

lemon juice, lemon verbena leaves, sugar, orange and lemon blossoms, purple iris...a few other mysterious blooms.

i really like this!

but then, i love lemon and flower essences together. right now i'm drinking rosewater lemonade. this has a similarly refreshing feel...

I finally scored a bit of this!

In the Bottle: Big hit of lemon. My husband said lemon and "something else."

Wet: Lemon overtaking everything.

Drydown: The lemon softens and recedes into the background. The "something else" dusky comes out but I can't put my finger on it. Slightly musky-dusky and very delicate. Any florals are long gone from this blend (trust me, if they were here, my skin would have announced them).

Within an hour, I have to put my nose practically on my wrist to smell anything at all. Really disappointing. June Gloom hasn't held up that well, but she's 4 years old. I wonder what that is in perfumer's years. . .

Sniffed: Yellow oil. Lemon verbena, lemon oil, and sugary flowers. Very lemony-citrusy, a little-soapy clean.

Wet: Somewhere between Lemon Pledge and Lemonhead candies, as others have noted, with a distinct soapy edge. Less sweet, a little sharper, almost mentholic on my skin.

Dry: Going a bit herbal, but mostly this is just unpleasantly harsh lemon with an undercurrant of soap. Where did the sugary note go?

Later: Harsh lemon cleaner with insanely strong throw - time to wash off.

June Gloom 04

In the imp: a very clean lemon soap.

Wet on skin: interesting, it’s almost like lemon incense now?

Dry on skin: hmm, this is a strange one. I am reminded of Delousing Powder, though this is a lot soapier, a lot fresher, and less powdery and more like ozone. The lemon note is the most dominant one, and it’s lemon verbena. Or maybe lemongrass, but to me it’s too soft to be lemongrass so I think it’s verbena (it’s not lemon fruit). I also smell something powdery, a little soapy, and some ozone too. Oddly, I also smell something like olive to this? Almost like olive oil. As well as a hint of something like sandalwood incense. there is something pale and floral here too, flowers of the soapy, sharp kind.

After a while: this then turns to bathroom cleaner-specifically, the creamy Cif/Jif cleaner. It has that oddly creamy, oddly chalky smell with the soapy lemon. It does though have an interesting herbal-mossy background to it…but this almost leans towards smelling like mildew at times. Oddly, I still get hints of sandalwood incense too, or even nag champa…it smells like a light thin incense. At this point the smell is very similar to Delousing Powder, but it lacks the warm sweetness and amber-ish scent I got in DP, and I prefer that scent.

Verdict: not my kind of scent at all. It smells like lemon soap for most of the time, a fresh and tangy soap with lemongrass or verbena, and turns to bathroom cleaner on me. The flowers only amp up the soapy scent. Oddly, I get incense at the drydown, and it turns quite nice at the end but also fades very fast after a few hours. So this really isn’t my thing. I hope the 09 version of JG works out better on me.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? no.

I was hoping for something lemony and magical. I love lemons, so this sounded perfect. Well, I get lemons, all right, but so much lemon that it turns (like others noted) to Lemon Pledge on me--an artificial lemon rather than freshly cut lemon.