Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

One of these days, I will learn... I swear.

This is nothing but patchouli and sandalwood.

I smell like a headshop.

Verdict: Again, this is resinous, gritty, fragrant patchouli and sandalwood. I can see the comparisons to Aureus in this one. Again, not for me. But for you patchouli lovers, I would totally recommend this scent.

Really liked this one at first. The patchouli was strong with a hint of the cinnimon and something else. What keeps happening with this one, and the other new oils I have been trying is, they start out dark and earthy like I enjoy, and then after a few hours I turn into a garden of flowers!!! Still, this one is worth another try. In about a week or so, I will put in another order of imps, and look for some darker things.

cheers!

In Bottle: Whoa, Sandalwood. That's all I got, like a pinch to the nose.

On Skin: The sandalwood and patchouli fought for dominance but I could almost smell the cinnamon in the background. A slightly spicy, slightly sweet combination. I accidentally breathed in through my mouth and it tasted like cinnamon and then it made me sneeze.

Wet: Pure cinnamon. Everything else faded to a background tickle. It was amazing because I honestly smell no hint of the amber.

Drydown: The sandalwood came back first. But it appears once you wash away the initial sandalwood and patchouli it's almost pure cinnamon with a hint of amber.

After Time: Strangely enough it went pure ginger snaps. Like i had lit a cinnamon candle, warm and spicy. Very nice.

Final Verdict: I like it but I think it's a bit too heavy for me. It might do well as a bath soak because the water washes away all the sandalwood and patchouli and leaves pure baking cinnamon. Kind of brilliant really.

1247156837_5GdiT-Ti.jpg

When I first saw the listing for Sin, my first thought was my mother's oldie favorite, My Sin. Fortunately, this was nothing like My Sin, so I don't have to look for my mother behind me whenever I wear Sin! I am not a big amber fan, unless it's a very light note -- and this is very light.

In the imp: Deep, dark, and lovely...the amber is definitely there, but overtopped (in my nose) by the sandalwood and patchouli, and balanced nicely with the slight hint of cinnamon.

Wet on skin: Same as in the bottle...and I like it a lot.

Dry: Oh so nice and mellow - the sandalwood and patchouli are predominant on my skin, and the cinnamon is only there for the slight note it lends and not for its skin-searing capabilities thank goodness! This has good staying power on me, which is another plus -- don't have to keep applying every few minutes.

Verdict: I've managed to gather enough imps to fill a 5ml roller-ball bottle, which will do me for quite some time to come, so a bottle purchase is not in the immediate future.

Edited by stellans

Imp: This reminded me strongly of Lust - must be the gritty patchouli, although I could have sworn there was red musk in this... :P

Wet: The cinnamon peeps out on top of everything else. The amber is soft and round on me. I wonder how that is possible, usually my skin hates amber, but lately it seems to work!

Dry: This is a really nice blend, actually. Spicy, warm, powdery (in the good way). I like it!

In the imp: Holy crap, red sandalwood. And amber. And patchouli...the cinnamon is quite faint.

Wet: Man oh man, this does sort of remind me of Scherezade, Loviatar, Fenris Wolf and the general "red" family of scents. The cinnamon does lend a distinct quality to this scent. It is a very deep cinnamon--no redhots here, at least not when the oil is freshly applied.

Drydown and wear: Hmmm...the patchouli is quite strong in this blend, and it is not a very good combination with the cinnamon. But we've got a real morpher here, because suddenly all traces of the patchouli disappear and all I can smell is the sandalwood, with the slightest dash of cinnamon. I'm not entirely sure what I think of this blend, but it will go through another round of testing. It is very red...:P

*cough* hello sandalwood, my most hated nemesis. you are making my smell like spicy pee.

yup... this is drying straight up sandalwood on me.

i hate you, skin. i really and truly hate you some times.

:P

*throws imp at swap pile*

In the imp: Sandalwood, cinnamon and faintly patchouli. Quite nice, if not fabulous.

Wet: Really headshopy - patchouli dominates, the sandalwood slinks around behind it and there's just a hint of cinnamon - I hoped there'd be more. Can't smell the amber.

Dry: I have no idea what's making me smell like pink musk sticks - a blend of the patchouli and sandalwood? - but I do. I can still distinguish the patchouli, though. No sign of the amber or the cinnamon. Not really my thing, so off to the swaps.

ETA: More and more cinnamon is coming out as I wear this - on top of the musk sticks. *sigh* Still off to the swaps, to my sadness - I was really looking forward trying this.

Edited by dzurlady

In the vial:

Patchouli

On me:

This one deep patchouli scent - it's dark. I do get a hint of the amber, it kind of adds this odd sweetness to the background but it's barely detectable, so no biggie. Of course, patchouli and sandalwood usually fight for dominance on my skin and it looks like patchouli is winning here. But I can smell the sandalwood too. Slight spice from the cinnamon but it's not very in-your-face. This makes me think of Anne Bonny. It's like Anne Bonny with a twist.

Final note:

I really love Anne Bonny, so this is something I enjoy too. However, it's so similar to Anne Bonny on my skin - and I already have a bottle of that - that I don't see any reason to get a bottle of this. I will keep the imp though. It's not that it smells exactly like AB, but it's similar enough to me.

In the imp: I make notes on each scent & I wrote 'interesting--need to try on'. lol

On the arm: hints of sandalwood & amber, patchouli, cinnamon.

Drydown: much more cinnamon, but blends so well with the others, particularly the amber.

I love Anne Bonny too Brianne, but oddly this doesn't smell a thing like it on me! It's supposed to be an evil scent, but it's very warm and almost comforting to me. I FLOVE it.

(makes note to buy big bottle...holds up catchers mitt for anyone who doesn't want theirs)

This is an absolutely great scent on me.....at first I smell red musk big time, like some other people have already said. Whether or not it's actually in this blend I don't know, but if it's not, that's a great trick! And at first there is just a dash of cinnamon, but the cinnamon gets stronger and stronger, until it's threatening to take over. This bums me out just a little bit because I want more sandalwood, more amber. None of the other notes really stand out, and I never would have picked out patchouli. It's still good, though, and after a while the cinnamon does back off a little and behave itself.

The mood of the scent is definitely 'sin', and I bet this will smell even better after a few weeks or even months, so I may add this to my bottle wish list.

In imp: I think it's the black patchouli that does it, it smells like Imp's deliquent older brother, the shop that sells pentacles and studded cuffs.

Wet, on skin: I can barely smell it. Maybe it’s one of those sins that makes you really, really ashamed of yourself, so that you try to forget you did it?

Drydown: I've never worn anything with patchouli, so maybe that's what I'm smelling? Can also catch the amber and cinnamon, which is a nice partnership. Subtler than I thought it would be, but I don't want a scarlet letter emblazoned on my pheromones, either, so the hint of sin works. :P

In the imp - resin/wood with cinnamon and a smidge of cocoa

Wet - Goes on very similar, very dry and earthy.

Drydown - This is an incensey blend that doesn't change much at all on my skin, it's warm and sultry and quite long lasting (2 applications lasted all day)

I like it more than I did on first try a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to keep my imp and see how it grows on me :P

I finally did what any intelligent person should do; used the "search" engine on the Lab site, typed in the flavors I like best, and I came up with Sin as my first choice.

Lord have Mercy. :P This is too good to be true.

The little imp of pleasure arrived this week in my lab order.

Dark, golden, intoxicating, I could drink this so my breath would be the same scent as the rest of me.

Yeah, Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, and Underpants are truly awesome combinations, I love them all; but this, THIS, inspires me to wear something.......naughty....just for me.

Excellent nose, Elizabeth.

If this is Sin, then I never want to be in a state of grace again.

In imp: Sweet amber and sandalwood.

Wet: Amped sandalwood plus patchouli, and the cinnamon is starting to come in.

Drydown: The more I think about it, the more I realize it must be cassia, more so than cinnamon, that my skin finds irritating -- because this made my skin a little sensitive, but not flamey. This manages to be at once one of the strongest sandalwoods and the sweetest patchoulis I have yet found, both probably because of the amber, and then overlaid with this high note of dancing cinnamon. Excellent throw and staying power, plus that bonus delicious opium-smokey note I've learned to love in Blood Amber and Debauchery. That's it -- I'm giving my life over to Sin.

In the bottle: The strongly sandalwoody smell mostly overpowers any other scents.

On the wrist: Still strongly woody, but (as usually happens on me) a number of sweet notes begin to make themselves known. A spicy cinnamon is the foremost of these, and the only one I can place. It mixes very nicely with the wood; it's hard to tell where one ends and the next begins.

One hour later: Spice. Oh yes. It's a hot night on the silk road, and the air is thick with spices inside the tent where the rich merchants watch the girls dance. The sandalwood is still there somewhere, but now the strongest scents are of patchouli and cinnamon.

And you wouldn't believe the difficulty I had unsticking my wrists from my nose to type that :P

It smelled of rank patchouli and gave me a headache. The cinnamon was irritating to my skin and I washed it off immediately.

Okay, another imp bought before I discovered my skin's anti-amber tendencies. And with amber as the first note, I knew Sin was going to turn...

Which completely sucks, because with patchouli and cinnamon, this should have worked - and irritatingly, like almost EVERY sodding amber blend so far, it did at first.

Sin is a very sexy blend, and for a while I thought the cinnamon and patchouli might just save it on me, but nope. Finally, the powder-of-doom...yet again.

:P Stuuuuuupid skiiiiiin...

LOVE. Sin vaulted into my top 10 after the second wearing. Warm due to the amber and cinnamon, dry from the sandalwood, and sexy as all hell thanks to the patchouli. The cinnamon is perfectly blended here, with nothing of the 'red hots' or bakery vibes about it.

I only wish it had better throw and was longer lasting! I have to slather initially and then reapply during the evening to stay at the scent level I like.

In the imp I thought this would be a lovely sweey-spicy blend. But on my skin, it smells like a stoned sandalwood...it just wants to sit on the couch and eat munchies. It doesn't smell bad, just kind of vague and light and meh. Not living up to it's potential, that's for sure!

Sin has some of my favorite things: Sandalwood? Check. Amber? Check. Patchouli? Check. It should, therefore, be my Best BPAL Ever, but there is a catch...

In the imp, it is spicy and warm; I can just make out patchouli through the other notes, though this is the only time I get it from this blend.

Wet on my wrists, it is a tight blend of sandalwood and cinnamon; it is hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. This is gorgeously spicy and woody, exactly the sort of thing I look for in a perfume.

As it dries, the amber steps up, and the sandalwood-cinnamon fades, and fades, until all that is left is a soft ambery whisper about half an hour later.

I adore BPAL's amber - it smells just like the chunks of amber resin I had as a teenager, and so it has the benefit of nostalgia to go along with its inherent loveliness. I just wish it wasn't all that Sin left behind :P This would definitely be in my top 5, if only it lasted longer.

I got a very strong cinnamon note as it was drying on me but after a few minutes, the cinnamon has receeded into the background a bit and the patchouli has come forward. I'm not getting much amber at this point, just a lovely cinnamon and patchouli blend. It reminds me of some bubble bar that Lush had during the holidays but I can't remember the name of it. This is something I can see myself pulling out in the winter since it's a fiery blend, very worthy of a bit of hellfire.

This is easily one of my favorite BPAL blends! All of the elements here combine masterfully to create a warm super spicy fragrance like no other. Sandalwood adds some woods and sweetness, cinnamon lends the spice, amber brings depth and richness, and patchouli keeps it all grounded. It's just so perfectly blended, and perfectly scrumptious. It's spicy enough to remind me of the holidays, but there is something just a little bit naughty in there to keep the fragrance from becoming too pedestrian overall. I can tell this is going to get a ton of wear! It could very easily be worn as a day or evening scent. I love this!

I really really really wanted to love Sin! Everything note listed sounded absolutely like me and sniffing it in the imp, it smelled like just what I was looking for!

Well, I wore it to work, and somewhere, mid-morning, started thinking that I smelled like an enormous rice pudding. In the October humidity, I decided to reapply mid-afternoon, thinking that something might be fading or what-have-you due to the weird weather/temperature/humidity. In the car, after work, my mom asked me if I was "wearing that new smell you ordered" because she thought I smelled "old". I asked her to elaborate and she said "you smell like an old lady." There goes that one!

I don't know what this implies about my character or person, that the olfactory embodiment of "sin" makes me smell like somebody's grandma

imp: spicy sandalwood. this smells almost exactly like one of my favourite incenses. i hope the cinnamon isn't too painful...

wet: it's already burning and i've barely applied it. the patchouli and sandalwood blend beautifully with the cinnamon. i can't catch the amber yet, maybe once it soaks in.

dry: so i didn't get too badly burned by the cinnamon, more of a stinging in this blend. the patchouli and sandalwood smell soft and lovely and warm on my skin with just the very barest hint of amber. this is another imp to toss onto my husband's pile to see what he thinks.