Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Category: Sin & Salvation

SIN:

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Wet and from the bottle: This is definately a dry sandalwood scent!

On skin 1 hour later: The strong sandalwood has softened around the edges to a spicy warm sandalwood scent with just a hint of powder (possibly the amber?)

On skin 3 hours later: Love it love it love it, the entire scent has morphed into a beautiful warm but dry scent where I can't entirely pick out the notes individually.

On skin 5 hours later: just a trace of a delicious aroma is left, I need to reapply.

This is a beautiful sexy adult scent. It is very very dry, not a trace of sweetness to it, and I like it like that! It could be unisex, but it is definitely feminine enough for me (although I am not a floral girl). It is a sophisticated scent that demands that you wear your makeup and heels. For some reason, browsing the reviews, I got it into my head that BPAL only did sweet scents, but I was wrong. This is as dry a sandalwood based scent as I have ever smelled and it is just beautifully done. If you like sandalwood, I highly recommend this scent.

I almost loved this... this was very strong on the sandalwood and patchouli on my skin a lil more then i can handle but its a wonderful deep scent. This reminded me of giddy nites with my friends burning incense to cover up... well to cover up scents of other sinful activities when i was younger :P . Very incensey, but definately embodies the scent of doing naughty things.

I really love this one... I bought it as a gift to my sister in law whom I love because SIN has all her favorite smells in it (shes a hippie chick too) . I had to try this one on an let me tell ya it LASTS you will not have to apply alot on . Good stuff. Lucky shes a great person else I woulda kept it!!! I got alot of queries asto what I was wearing that day, lots of compliments. Very yummy

LOVE THIS SCENT! I wear this when I'm dressed in my short skirt cut up to there and a corset and heels. I put a dab on the back of my neck and the guys are constantly leaning in to get a sniff. This is definitely what I use when I'm on the prowl!

I got brave and wore this one to work today...I don't think it is sweet but one of the guys in the breakroom commented on how sweet my perfume smelled...Go figure!

Quoting myself from when I first ordered this:

This one smelled lovely in the tube... I put it on, it smelled lovely at first... then it warmed up... There's no licorice/anise in the description... then why does my stupid messed up skin make this smell like freaking shoelace candy?

Initial Impression:

Oh this is nice. Heavy, smoky and a touch spicy. It's sinful, though perhaps not in the typical sexy, seductive way. It's wicked in a sort of shady deals made in the back alleys after dark kind of way.

After Wearing It:

I wore this last night and got comments from a coworker. It was actually pretty funny. I had just got there 15 minute or so before and walked past him on the way to get something while he was checking people out (a pretty girl and her boyfriend) when he caught a whiff of the smell. He immediately assumed it was the girl in front of him and asked her about what she was wearing (he said it smelled like sandalwood or incense), though the way he did it made it seem like he was hitting on her. To come his ass in front of her boyfriend, he asked him about it as well. I didn't hear the couple's response, but I'm guessing they either said they weren't wearing anything or they didn't know. After the left, my manager started laughing and said that if he had been the boyfriend he would have been really pissed off that Roger seemed to have jumped on his girlfriend right in front of him, and that he wouldn't have been surprised if Roger had jumped over the counter and attacked the girl (which he said he would have paid to see). Roger tried to defend himself saying that he asked the boyfriend about it too, trying to lessen how it looked like his was hitting on his girl, to which my manager replied that it only made it look like he was now hitting on the guy! The teasing kept up, Chris (my manager) now insisting that it was he was wearing the perfume. All the while I was suspecting that he was actually smelling me but didn't say anything. Roger passed me on the way to get something on my side of the work area, when he figured out that it was me. He exclaimed that my silence had made him looked like an idiot and look like he was hitting on a guy. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, the point of the story is that Sin is a beautiful, sexy smell. The sandalwood was pretty apparent on me, and the overall tone of the fragrance was sweet, smoky, and spicy. Smelled like a really posh incense and made me think of lush, 19th century opium dens. It's rich and complex, inducing the smug confidence of a real vixen. The only problem was this oil wasn't as lasting as some of the other BPAL fragrances I've tried, which is odd for thing type of fragrance particularly since it was so strong when first applied. After 4 or 5 hours, the scent was just a whisper on my skin.

Final Thoughts:

Even though the staying power isn't the best, this oil is definitely a keeper. It makes me feel confident and sexy, and would definitely good for any man-chasing kind of evenings. Excellent!

This scent is very cinnamon and amber. I almost felt like I was wearing Atomic Fireballs when I first put it on! During the drydown I could still smell the sweet amber and possibly a bit of sandalwood when I raised my wrist to my face but every now and then, as I turned my head, I caught a whiff of patchouli. This scent had wonderful staying power, it clung to my skin until I washed it off over 24 hours later.

This is an absolutely beautiful sexy scent, with an edge of cinnamon to heat it up a little. But the best thing is that after 3 hours it had developed into a churchy, wood-y smell, as if you're in the church the day after, saying:'forgive me father for I have sinned..' :P Absolutely brilliant.

My last remaining Imp's Ear, a sample that Elizabeth threw in.

wet ~ My immediate thought was "perfume." This is what commercial, mass produced perfumes might smell like if they didn't have that weird, chemically after-tang.

drying ~ I cannot pick out just one scent. This is complex. Resin? Spice? Eye of newt? What the heck is in this?

dry ~ I think I understand the name now. It reminds me of cinnamon massage oil after it's been worked into the skin well. It's a decadent scent, languid.

later ~ There's something fruity trying to happen here. Maybe that's why the phrase, "Peel me a grape" was going through my mind. It's getting a little powdery on me, but that's not a bad thing. It's almost comforting, like being held in the afterglow.

final thoughts ~ Dries into a somewhat spiced powder, much like Undertow.

verdict ~ Comparatively, the dry finish is pretty boring on me. It's a nice scent when it's fresh, though, but I'd be concerned about going through a lot of it for the effect.

Edited by byrdie

This is a very warm scent....the cinnamon seems to be the driving force on me but I keep getting a sense of something underneath and i cant tell if its the patchouli or sandlewood...doesnt seem like sandlewood. This is one of my favorites so far. I used LUSH Orange and Spice soap this morning and it really seems to go well with this.

Initial Sniff: This is filled with so many things that I like! It is spicy, warm, and though it is not a foody scent, "yummy" is the first adjective that comes to mind.

Wearing: It starts out fairly true to the scent in the bottle, but it quickly turns a little sweet on my skin - almost like there are berries in it. The drydown is sweet sandalwood.

Final Impressions: This is gorgeous, but the drydown is VERY similar to Leo on me, so I don't know if I'll be ordering a bigger bottle. OK, of course I'll order a bigger bottle, who am I kidding?

GOD, this is GORGEOUS. When wet, the cinnamon was a bit more prevalent than it was after drying down, but dry, I can still smell the yummy cinnamon along with those fabulous sandalwood and patchouli notes. They blend together so wonderfully, and I don't think of this as a hippie head-shop scent, but more a very, very sexy, enticing, seductive scent (I don't equate head shops with seduction :P ). I will be ordering a larger bottle of this, to be sure.

From the vial I smell Neroli very strongly, which is odd because it's not on the scent description. Neroli is all good, though. Love it.

On, the scent warms up quickly. The Neroli scent lingers nicely, and slowly Sin morphs into sweet, light incense scent. On my skin, amber and sandalwood stand out the most on the drydown. I've noticed amber suits my skin very well, so this is a great scent for me, and just about anybody who adores amber.

I don't get a lot of cinnamon, though, but I don't really miss it in here either.

No song this time, but as I was sniffing my wrists, completely high on the wonderful scent, a quote quickly came to my mind.

From the movie about everybody's favourite son of satan, "Little Nicky":

Let the sin begin!

:P

-Milk

ETA: I'm definately buying a big bottle of Sin in the future. It just smells too good!

Edited by MilkAndSugar

I LOVE Sin!

Wet in the bottle, drydown and all day... love it, love it, love it!

All the notes balance perfectly and the staying power is fantastic on me.

The scent mellows through the day into layers with initial notes a soft and powdery amber, over a warm resiny smell, finishing off with a slight tinge of the spicey cinnamon.

I am definately going to have to order a 10 ml of this.

I bought a 5 ml bottle of Sin without smelling it first, and I’m very glad I did. On me, Sin is mainly amber and sandalwood with a touch of patchouli, which is exactly what I was hoping it would turn out as. I can’t smell any cinnamon at all. It’s absolutely lovely. It really doesn’t take much of the oil to get a good scent in the air around you. It lasts pretty well too, as I put some on yesterday at about 2 pm and I could still smell it this morning at about 7.

Testing this today. I can't stop smelling myself. Lots of the smokey-incensey thing going on here, but sweet also in that great head-shop way. I've decided that I just adore the amber/resin notes in Beth's creations. I'm not picking up much of the cinnamon, but that's a note that typically fades into the background on my skin.

For some reason I'm also getting candle wax on the drydown (yum).

I MUST purchase a bigger bottle of this.

Velvet

Site description:

First whiff: I can smell the amber and patchouli more than any of the other hints. It almost smells... minty to me. I like it. It's a very warm, comforting scent.

On: My chemistry TOTALLY broght out the cinnamon! I love it!!! Even more warm and comforting. It reminds me of walking into a quiet little temple some place - the cinnamon is more of a candle and incense scent than straight cinnamon. If that makes any sense.

A few hours later: Still going strong! Didn't need to re-apply! Received a compliment from a friend who said I smelled like 'Pier One' and that I was making her want to go shopping.

-Leslie

Initial sniff: Loved it, warm and decadently dangerous, strong cinnamon smell.

On: On me, not going to work. It burned. Darnit.

On Hubby: He's not allowed to wear this out of the house without me at his side. Seriously. It's utterly amazing on him, cinnamon without the sweet of red hots, a darker Sinnamon, laced with heady sandalwood and grounded with patchouli.

It stays true on him, even through dry-down.

His Sin, and my Lust. We should definitely be having sex more often than we do.

Big bottle, definitely.

Sin

When first applied this smells quite resinous from the amber, but almost fruity. Within seconds I can smell the patchouli twisting the sweetness beautifully and then the cinnamon appears and I am praying it doesn’t burn my skin.

Yay!! It’s drying with no rash.

Once dry I can start to smell the sandalwood and this becomes quite incensey. Not sure this smells sinful, but it certainly smells very good!!

Edited by allamanda

First Impression: Received in a swap. Hmmm, I can barely detect any scent at all in the bottle, at point blank range.

Second Impression: For some reason this scent is very faint, barely there. It's wonderful, but I wish it were stronger. The amber is slightly sweet and wonderful. The cinnamon adds a warm sensuality rather than hot spice. I don't get much patchouli, but on the long drydown the sandalwood starts to show.

Final Analysis: I slathered my left arm with Sin and put a tiny dab of Scherezade on my right wrist. All I can smell is the Scherezade. I don't know if it's my skin or if it's the oil, but I'll have to slather on half the bottle of Sin to get any effect from this one. :P

Now this is me! Oh gosh the cinnamon, the amber the sandalwood. I'm in heaven. I don't detect too much of the patchouly. It's there, but in an understudy sort of way. This has kick. Bam! My husband loves this. He's nibbling my arm. This lasts, I've put it on over an hour ago and it's still going strong. This smells exactly like my favorite occult store, where all the incense and herbs and candles blend into one mysterious, spine tingling scent. This is love. :P

Update: 10/22/05

I recently attended Twilight Covening, a pagan retreat of sorts. I go every year and love how the Earthspirit community orchestrates mass ritual. They just create magic in the mountains! Anyway, while I was packing for my weekend I wanted to make sure I had the perfect scent to wear. I wanted it to be sensual, to have the ability to allow easy trance like states and most importantly I wanted it to be mysterious as Twilight is when we pagans prepare to enter the dark time of year. Sin was 1 of 3 that I chose to take and it was worn most of the weekend. I got so many compliments on it and it was a catalyst during my visioning ritual. Over a year later and it's still one of my all time favorites. :D

Edited by arachne

In the bottle, Sin smells like yummy sandalwood with a little bit of spice behind it.

On me, wow...the cinnamon really comes out! It smells kinda like an atomic fireball! The sandalwood starts coming through slowly and...ooooh.....that blend of spice and wood is just fabulous! I love this scent. Its totally decadent, makes me thinks of warm nights getting into all kinds of trouble;)

Very apt name for this scent!

Oh, how I love Sin. It's deep, dark, and sultry, and it lasts and lasts. It's like the energizer bunny with a whip. The sandalwood and patchouli come out most on me, with the cinnamon and amber sort of blending everything together into warm spicy luciousness. I have a 10ml and I tend to wear it to work, it makes the flourescent lighting more tolerable.

First impression: Reminds me of my grandmother's decades old bottles of perfume with just a little, really strong perfume at the bottom. Hints of sandalwood, but almost smells like flowers in the bottle.

1st hour on: wow, this is really sandalwoody. Very strong right now. smells like the insence I usually burn. A very slight undertone that reminds me almost of sweat. Maybe the patchouli? Overall pleasant but a little too strong for me still. Very much of a warm scent.

Few hours on: Oddly it is starting to take on a dry and sweet on me now. The cinnamon is starting to come out and it reminds me of cinnamon hot chocolate. I asked my seven year old brother what it smelled like and after grumbling for a bit he said.. "uummn, powder?" Which is funny because when I read reviews before I didn't quite understand what people meant by that. Enjoying it now.

Four hours later: Just a trace left now, curiously it's still rather strong on my right wrist though. Smells warm and dry. Faint traces of cinnamon and sandalwood, still reminds me of cinnamon hot chocolate.

Final Verdict:

smells very warm and tasty eventually, but I'm not too keen on whatever element it is that reminds me of musky sweat (patchouli?). will definitly give this one another shot later, but it sort of reminds me of a room scent because I'm so used to sandalwood insence.