Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Dark and heavy, but with a warmth (from the amber) and a sweet spiciness that dances around the darker notes like glimmers of flame in a dying fire...this is deep and warm and lusty and :D patchouli and sandalwood are usually too dry for me, but in this blend they're warmed up *just* enough...I love! :P

Sin is mainly amber and sandalwood with a slight touch of patchouli. I can’t really smell any cinnamon at all. It’s absolutely lovely. Long lasting, and strong but not overwhelming. It really doesn’t take much of the oil to get a good scent in the air around you. Warm, spicy and way sexy!

Bottle (Imp): Dark, sinister, deep.

Just On: Mmm, resin, with nice depth.

An hour or two later: Ahh, this is nice deep patchouli scented resin.

Around 6 hours: Patchouli.

12 hours: Patchouli, but much lighter. Not strong at this point.

Overall: I rather like it.

After reading other reviews: Goodness, the cinnamon didn't come out on me at all, but I guess that's okay. I still liked it, and can see wearing it regularly.

I was a little wary of trying this one, as I haven't generally like patchouli in the past. It usually smells sweaty to me. And sandalwood tends to go overly sweet and dry and sort of cloying.

But this is really quite nice. I can't pick apart the notes, and I think that's what saves this one for me. There's nothing in there that I can pick out to aggrevate me. All of the notes play off each other, supporting a common harmony and masking any potential problems. It just smells earthy and a little spicy, though again, I can't pick up the cinnamon as such.

It's perhaps a touch too masculine for my everyday taste, but it still is wonderfully sexy, full and rich blend.

In the bottle

Hmm, smells like dragon's blood a bit.

On

The perfume itself is a dark purple. It smells kind of plum-y with cinnamon smell. I must be getting plum from the amber, it's sort of resinous, thick and sweet.

I'm really liking this. The patchouli and the sandalwood are not the dominant ingredients on my skin, they're barely noticeable. Thus far anyway.

30 minutes

Okay, the cinnamon is more dominant now but nothing off putting whatsoever. Sandalwood taking the secondary lead now when it's dry. The amber is still there as ever, holding things together with it's subtle sweetness. I'm so addicted to sniffing this.

How is this better than King of Spades? How is that possible? They are similar I suppose, I dunno but I think "Sin" is as good or better. To think this was one of those "Oh I suppose I oughta smell that one" blends. This is proof to leave no stone unturned. :P

Throw:

average

Scent category:

resin/spicy

Summary

I can't type this for sniffing my wrist, let's just put it that way.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Sin

In the imp: a really dark, deep scent, almost like darkened red musk, but I think it's patchouli and sandalwood.

Wet on skin: oh, now the cinnamon starts to come through! the sandalwood and patchouli are nice and dark in here, the amber adds a touch of sweetness.

Dry on skin: cinnamon!!! I love cinnamon, and in here, it's mixed with patchouli and sandalwood and a nice background of amber, which is such an interesting combination! This is a rich, deep, exotic scent, it reminds me of this perfume I smelt somewhere when I went on holiday some time ago, a really nice, warm, exotic perfume. And there's something here that reminds me so much of red musk, or cherries.

After a while: this was what I wanted Snake Oil to be like, had the vanilla not amped up and blotted out all the other notes. This is such a slinky, sensual scent…and I love the spicy bite it has.

Verdict: this is surprisingly nice! This is a rich, exotic, dark, sensual blend of patchouli and sandalwood (and I'm pretty sure there's musk here) and amber, with a wonderful touch of spicy cinnamon. The notes in here are blended so well, and there's something about this scent that reminds me of another perfume I smelt somewhere before. This is a sexy, naughty blend and it makes me want to do bad things…I love it.

Oh, my. Oh my, my, my.

I myself can barely smell this on me (damn both my allergies and the stupid evolution of the "block out scent" part of the brain), but my mom and I were at a barbeque today, and she leaned in to tell me something and I said, "Ooh! Smell me!" just on a whim.

She didn't let go.

She was going insane over Sin on me. Apparently, it smells really, really good. I'm going to try it on Mister Termite (I haven't seen him for over a week) and see what kind of reaction I get.

I'll come back and make a better "scent review" later, but for now,

Wet on my skin: I was expecting Sin to be a sweet cinnamon, like Hot Tamales or an Atomic Fireball. Wow, was I pleasantly mistaken!

This is dry cinnamon, exactly like the sticks I chew to clear my sinuses. This is a cinnamon stick burning and the smoke curling up into the air. It's a gorgeous, smoky cinnamon, but not something I'd like to be smelling like.

Dry a couple hours later: I love love love the drydown on this. It almost has a bitter tang to it (bitter and sweet, go figure), and there's still a smoky undertone that feels acidic when you breathe it in. The cinnamon has all but disappeared, and the amber and patchouli are creating a lusty, thick, deep scent. (I really hope this has awesome throw. I hate it when I can't tell if something smells on me or not.)

This is a prostitute prowling in a first-rate pub. This is the smoky aftermath of sex with all sorts of kinky additions.

:P I am in awe.

I did layer this over Black Forest (BF doesn't stay well on me. Pity; I love the dry scent), so that may have affected it, but there wasn't any pine when it dried.

(Now if only Black Forest had more throw on me. :D)

Edited by termite_of_justice

In imp, dry cinnamon.

Wet/first applied~cinnamon with hints of lovely amber & sandalwood. Then, sadly, within minutes, here comes that oh so horrid black patchouli, as I knew it would :P But hey, I've got an imp so gave it a whirl.

eta: 10/20/05...Chemistry is a funny thing....Tried this again and this time around, GORGEOUS!! Like a darker, richer Snake Oil with a touch of earthiness. Glad I got to try this again :D

Edited by Eros

Sin

Deep wet dirty patchouli. I'm getting a slight undertone of cinnamon and the sandalwood and amber are slowly coming out but it is mostly the black patchouli I can smell. I'm not sure there is an oil that is less me. Wow, the cinnamon and sandalwood are really at the forefront now and they've reduced the black patchouli to a whisper. Definitely better than I could've imagined it would be.

Edited by cupide430

In the bottle: Dark and earthy. The more I sniff, the more I can smell the cinnamon, which lends a welcomed sweet candy-like contrast to the other notes.

Wearing: Hmm. This smells like Fenris Wolf. I'm assuming it's the amber/sandalwood combination, but I swear there's red musk in this as well. The cinnamon is in the background but still detectable, and has gotten a little less candy-like.

Later: Definitely sandalwood, with the patchouli lurking a bit in the background. I still get a lot of Fenris Wolf-ness, which definitely isn't a bad thing.

Overall: I like it. It's not like a "Holy crap, this is wonderful!" thing, but it is nice. Keeping the imp.

In bottle: Dark black patchouli and dry sandalwood. Something about this scent immediately inspires feelings of guilt in me, like I've been caught doing something wrong. Nothing lustful or in anger, it's the remorse that follows when your mother glares at you for trailing mud all over freshly-washed floors.

On me: The amber comes up, fruitful and bright compared to the other dark notes. It's still twisted and darkened by patchouli and sandalwood, but the way it blends with cinnamon is lovely. This is a very warm and spicy scent now - the amber's very strong. Pretty.

in the bottle: cinnamon and sandalwood.

wet on skin: This isn't a candy-like cinnamon, which I'm grateful for. I like the dry, cinnamon stick type of scents much better then the ones of the Red Hots variety. Combine that with sandalwood, which I've developed a strange attraction for lately, and you've got a winner.

dry: the black patchouli comes forth a little bit, very soft, but it's in for the long haul. It blends so well with the sandalwood, but almost completely eradicates the cinnamon.

at first: another freebie from the lab. i never would have picked this out for myself, since cinnamon and i do not get along. i can onlyl smell the black patchouli and a touch of sandalwood.

on: this was a freebie from the lab. i don't like this. it's very cinnamony and i fear cinnamon.

half an hour later: lots of cinnamon. there's some amber, too, but that's all.

1 hour later: this hurts my nose, the cinnamon is so strong.

overall: i just can't deal with this one.

Sin is a spicy, viscous scent. I definitely pick up the patchouli (which is not good since I hate patchouli) but it has more of a resinous quality to it as well as an unusual warmth.

When I took a deep whiff of this scent, the back of my throat started to burn. I could feel that spiciness in my mouth and I had to drink some juice to wash it out.

This is a long-lasting scent. I had to scrub and scrub in the shower to get it off of me.

In the imp, I smell cinnamon and patchouli, but as soon as it hits the skin, I swear I get whiffs of red musk too (my favorite note!). It is strong on the patchouli at first, but then after 15 minutes softens to a lovely spicy-sweet, cinnamon red musk scent. the patchouli is there too, lending a slight woodiness to the scent. I don't see red musk as an ingredient, but it sure smells like it's here. My husband, who wears Fenris, also smells the red musk (and he doesn't always do well with identifying notes!). At any rate, I really like this blend a lot. :P

Oh wow, this is really nice! A little more musky and less cinnamon-y than I had expected, but still lovely. Though on looking at the lab description, there doesn't seem to be any musk in it - maybe it's just the other notes interacting that smells like musk to me? The earthy-firey nature of it is reminiscent of Serpent's Kiss, but it's a lot more complex and better-balanced - it really has that richness and depth that the best BPAL scents do, like Bewitched and Tintagel.

The patchouli is nicely blended in with everything else so it doesn't dominate the way it sometimes can, and once it's on, the different notes seem to shift back and forth in prominence, but in a subtle way, not as though they're clashing or fighting it out for dominance. The cinnamon is just strong enough to give it edge, but without turning it into a capital-S Spicy Scent (not that that's necessarily a bad thing; I do quite like Chimera, but the balance here is nice). And it doesn't seem to change much over time other than that subtle shifting in and out and different layers of scent - it's as nice several hours later as when freshly applied, just a bit faded.

The overall feeling is warm, spicy, earthy... and seriously sexy. It's the first BPAL scent that's really seemed to go straight to my hormones. And like Serpent's Kiss, it seems quite gender-neutral. I think I would happily pounce someone of either gender who was wearing this. :P

Mmmmm, I can definitely see this becoming a favourite. Overall grade: A.

This smells so dark, smooth, delicious, and decadent. It's definitely a scent that could tempt one to sin.

I love black patchouli, but I don't get a ton of black patch from this scent (it just adds an extra hint of darkness to the blend). Bpal's amber notes usually go to baby powder on my skin, but the amber here is rich and resinous, and mixes so well with the sandalwood. Cinnamon usually amps up and kills the other notes in a blend, but the cinnamon here is well behaved, sweet, and sensual.

The mix of amber and sandalwood reminds me a bit of Cathedral. It's like polished wood and smooth, sweet, golden resins. There's also something very cool and pleasant about this, like a hint of nighttime air. And then the sweet cinnamon has this warm, inviting quality to it that makes Sin so flirty and sexy to wear.

All in all, I love this. It's spicy, resinous/woods, smooth, and sensual beyond belief. Definitely an attention getting, exotic, sexy fragrance. :P

I recommend this if you want someone to try to get closer to you, because it definitely attracts people to me when I wear it.

Edited by Little Bird

If this be Sin, count me in!

In the bottle: Sandalwood with a Cinnamon underlay, very spicy.

On me: Atomic Fireballs with an undercurrant of darkness, perhaps the black patchouli. Then when in has been on for a few hours it turns into a soft, seductive, vannila spice.

:D

Sin lasted very long on me :P It even outlasted the Opium that I tried on :D

All I can say is add this to my big bottle list 'cause I love it :D

Sin is straight up patchouli in the imp. Though it's sweet instead of smoky, more like incense mixed with resin than pure essential oil to my nose.

On the skin, each element steps forward in its own right. The cinnamon is of the bark varity, complementing and adding to the existing wood elements. The amber warms the blend, but overall it retains a certain dryness and heat.

As much as I adore the scent, I can't see myself wearing it as a perfume. It strikes me as something to be used for calling forth spirit images from a fire. Or even to settle the mind for meditation, as its various earthy notes are incredibly centering and grounding.

No matter how you use it, it probably shouldn't be slathered on for fear of knocking down anyone who may choose to cross your path. Sin is potent to an extreme and quite evocative. Definitely an experience to be tried.

I love all patchouli scents and this one is no exception. Here, the patchouli smells amazing paired with the dry sandalwood. I wish I had incense that smelled like this. There’s just the tiniest hint of cinnamon, I can barely tell it’s there.

About ten minutes after it dries, it smells entirely of dry, powdery sandalwood. So nice.

Edited by tinyvulture

A thick, heavy, cinnamon and sandalwood scent. The cinnamon is definitely top note, and it's strong, almost to the point of being a bit overpowering for me. I can smell the black patchouli and sandalwood as undertones, but the amber is lost to me. It's certainly a sinful scent, no doubt about that, there is something distinctly naught about it. Unfortunately the combination just isn't quite for me, but I will find my imp a good home.

In the Bottle: A sharp, peppery spice, very woody. A hint of sweet amber behind.

Mellows into a deep dark woody spice. It has a lot of richness and body, but it's too woody for me.

I smell like the cone incense section of Pier One. Not a good thing for me. Poor little impy, off to swaps to find a better home.

I bought this one unsniffed and I was not disappointed...

First impression: Hmm...I don't know if I like this. This is very brash and acrid in the bottle. The cinnamon comes off as very sharp upon first sniff.

On: Very much like Czernobog, and I have no idea why as there are no notes in common here. It is a very openly brash, dark scent at first on me. The cinnamon is at the forefront in the wet stage and this is starting to make me doubt my choice...however....

Dry: Yes, yes YES! This is what I was looking for. If this were a wood, it would be a lusturously laquered ebony. The patchouli lingers in the background, deepening the blend while the sandalwood and amber soften the brash cinnamon, making this a sexy, and very very dark blend.

Overall: I feel like I should go to confession and shock the priest with tales of my days as a Pro-Domme. "Bless me Father for I have spanked many a naughty bitch...":P Seriously, I feel downright lascivious wearing this blend. It's so damned bad, it's good!! I'm happy with my 5mL purchase. I don't think I'll need much more than that for a while as it is a very heavy scent on me with a TON of throw.

Edited by judas_kiss

"I wanna live with a cinnamon girl

I could be happy the rest of my life

With a cinnamon girl.

A dreamer of pictures I run in the night

You see us together, chasing the moonlight,

My cinnamon girl."

-- Type O Negative (I know it's a cover but I like their version better)

I wanted to start with that quote because damn it this scent conjures that song for me.

In The Bottle: "I wanna live with a cinnamon girl" I smell cinnamon and oodles of it. Yum!

Wet On "Sin": (No I spelled it right) The amber ups up and the patchouli kicks the speakers out on the PA, the sandalwood and cinnamon do a fevered mosh in my olfactory sensors and the blast of the cacophony knocks me off my feet. Oh sweet surrender!

Dry[hump] Phase: (Yeah that's what I said) This is unabashedly sexy. I won't wear this to the office for fear that someone would sexually harass me. This is dangerous stuff. The brazen patchouli buggering the cinnamon while very naughtily fondling the amber notes is almost too sexy. I love, love, love this! I love it to pieces on my wife and everytime I smelled it I felt like dry humping in the least appropriate "polite" way. I reminded myself of the monkey from "Love Potion #9". :P Nuff said.

Ver-Dick-t: Oh this is a must have. It belongs to the wife but I will pilfer, purloin, pinch, palm and pluck this one whenever the feelings drives me to. Ladies you must have this, it is sex appeal in a bottle, men... same.

Edited by BlueStar