Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the vial: the earthiness of patchouli, but a dry earth, sandalwood

On me, wet: comes the amber now creeping forth, still very dry, maybe a hint of cinnamon

On me, just dried: mainly sandalwood and amber, some patchouli, bone dry.

After 15 minutes: oooh the patchouli ! I smell less like Sin than like communal housing in Haight Ashbury, 1969

After 30 minutes: this scent is now coming into its own, less overt and overpowering patchouli and more subtlety, the mix of ingredients creating something more than the sum of its parts.

After 1 hour: so very dry, the sandalwood remaining strong but subtle and the patchouli subsided

After 3 hours: Settled down now into something incensey but not strong and the patchouli has happily faded into a lowkey ancillary role

Verdict I feared this frimp might be a scrubber, but at length Beth’s trademark subtlety won out over the predominant patchouli into something very nice. I wouldn’t invest in it as I don’t think it’s me, nor can I find something so incense-y sinful in nature. Summer of Love maybe but not sinful per se.

This was my first full bottle purchase. It is quite strong from the vial on the patchouli and cinnamon but it mellows once it dried down. I'm getting sandalwood with cinnamon and something quite sweet. I'm not sure if it is the sandalwood itself or something else.

It's better applied sparingly than slathered on because of the sweetness, at least when you want to smell office friendly. 

Starbrow and Juushika nailed it! This is BPAL, dark, brooding, sexy, resinous patch. Unfortunately, this has that patchouli that turns to stale cigarettes on my skin, which stuck around. My skin's weird, so don't let this be indicative of how beautiful this blend is. 

This was *gorgeous* wet. Also, the next morning that patch note receded considerably leaving a mostly gorgeous, sweet yet unisex resinous blend, similar to Inez (which I'll stick with ;)) I would say if you are new to BPAL, Sin will give you a great idea of what BPAL is like . This would be the perfect goth night, romantic date night scent for the many that this works on. 

For fans of Inez and BPAL in general.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

Sin:

In bottle: A fruity, resinous combination.  Not overly sweet but with a definitely sweet-leaning edge. Interesting, because there is nothing fruity listed in the blend. I suppose it must be the cinnamon reacting with the other notes to create an almost black-cherry-like smell.

Wet: definite cinnamon now, on first application, with a nice amber underlying the heat.

Dry: Melds into a sweet, resinous, balanced scent that’s warm and bright, but also very faint on my skin. Unusual for me, because normally I amp patchouli like crazy (and I love that), and black patchouli in particular smells awesome on me. But the black patchouli note is impossible to distinguish in this blend once it has dried down, and the remaining sweetish resin fragrance is almost not there at all.

After 30 minutes: A lovely scent, but way too faint on my skin and it’s missing that black patchouli that I love so much.

Straight up cinnamon incense.  Woody, smoky, a little spicy, kind of dirty.  Amber adds powdery sweetness once it dries.

Not entirely unpleasant, but too dirty for my liking.

I didn't get any amber, this was all patchouli sandalwood with hints of cinnamon. Kind of incense like. The wet stage reminded me of Snake Oil for some reason and I'm not sure why.

Really nice, maybe not bottle worthy but I won't say no to more frimps from the Lab of this!

I received this as a frimp and will be grabbing the 5ml in my next order.

The patchouli is earthy-sweet here, like in my Snake Smut. It helps round out the cinnamon. This feels like a badass tomboy cinnamon broom, not an uber foodie cinnamon. Sandalwood in the background providing earthiness but not the star of the show. If you like amber but fear an overwelming amber, Sin is worth trying. I enjoy Carnival Wax's black amber but it's too much of a one trick pony imo to ever purchase the full size. Sin scratches my amber itch, with the welcome addition of an autumnal spiciness. It feels like self confidence in a well-loved black leather jacket, strolling down a wet leaf-littered sidewalk in October.

TLDR: Amber, patch and cinnamon are some fave notes so this was a no brainer. Satisfied with the combination.

EDIT: After much denial, I admit this vanishes off me quite quickly. Like within an hour.

Edited by 3leggedmare
Update

Took me a while to find this post! For a moment I thought I had a long lost imp. Lol The scent is rich, & deep. First impression is slightly toasty sandalwood. I don't think having an imp allows it to play out. I'll have to buy a bottle & age it. At the end of it I smell cinnamon. The patchouli is very faint. I like it!

in the imp, i get woodsy dry cinnamon.  but once it warms up on the skin, that amber really bobs to the surface.  and.... what's this?  my favorite amber in a gc blend??  gasp!  i was not expecting that!  it's sweet and resinous and (to my woefully uneducated nose) smells a bit like labdanum.  the patchouli is a very light touch in this one, with it and the sandalwood just providing a stage for a mildly spiced amber to sing her heart out.  this is gorgeous, and i'm so mad at myself for never having tried it before now.