Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

So sad..I really thought that I would fall in love with Sin. When I first apply it it is warm cinnamon, slightly sweet with patchouli peeking out underneath. Nice, really nice a warm cozy scent............but twenty minutes later it has morphed into my Pop Pop's cherry pipe smoke..argh!

Will hold onto the imp for a bit longer. Hoping to try it at a later point (maybe my body chemistry will change??) I really want to love Sin as much as a lot of others seem to..bummer :cry:
10/25/2011
So this is another imp I've been aging and wow did it mellow nicely. No more pipe smoke, just yummy smoky cinnamon and a very subtle patchouli. So happy I gave this another shot. ;) Edited by b00cat

At first it smells kinda strange. I can't put my finger on it, but it smells kinda... like cola? Definitely get a hint of cinnamon.

I absolutely love this on the dry down. With body heat, this scent just wafts and becomes something gorgeous! Still a bit like cola, but it is just so sexy! Overall, I think I am going to definitely going to keep an imp around to keep testing. Might have to get a bottle eventually!

In bottle: It smells like early 1970’s hippy house. Poatchouli dominant, with sandalwood second and cinnamon third. The amber smoothes it a little, but can’t really change the overall effect. Wet: Exactly as in the bottle only more so. Lots of patchouli, lots of throw. It is fairly sexy. Patchouli plus cinnamon plus natural skin musk is sexy, but I;m not a big patchouli fan and this is too much for me. Dry: patchouli, patchouli, patchouli.

In the bottle: Straight incense and patchouli. Like a burning incense stick or what I imagine a D&D reunion or wizard shop would smell like.

I can't comment on how it is wet or dry since I refuse to walk around smelling like a wizard store. I'm sad since the description sounded sexy, but this is far, far from sexy.

This was a frimp in my wedding party order, and definitely a "BPAL is psychic!" moment. I've never met a sandalwood/amber/patchouli blend I didn't like unless it contained large amounts of a death note.

Sniff: Hello, my old friends, sandalwood, black patchouli, and amber! You're strong as ever; strong enough to play with cinnamon. We shall get along splendidly on those days when I want my perfume to yell "Powerful!"

On skin - wet: Mostly cinnamon for the first 15 minutes or so.

On skin - dry: Dries down to amber and sandalwood with a touch of patchouli. Not sure where the cinnamon went. It’s not powdery, yay! Limited throw (can smell it maybe 4 inches from my wrist), but it sticks around all day. It’s much more low-key (“sensual” as opposed to “sexy,” know what I mean?) than the sniff suggested, though this note combo is still a guaranteed success for my skin chemistry. But definitely no “powerful” vibes on me. I think I’ll have to stick with Plunder for that.

All in all, a success, though perhaps not the kind I was expecting.

You know-I think this is one of the earliest frimps I ever received. I am sure I have sniffed this eons ago, but apparently I never reviewed it! Since I don't remember it at all, it's time to give it another whirl.

I'm not a huge patchouli or sandalwood fan-usually I can only take those notes as the backdrop in other blends, not as the main event. Amber is also hit or miss-it tends to go powdery on me. I like cinnamon but I already have a handful of cinnamon blends.

In the imp this is powdery/ambery patchouli/woods. The cinnamon is there, but not in your face omg strong cinnamon. It's in the background, giving this a hint of spice.

This is actually a very pleasant scent on my skin-a warm cinnamon patchouli scent. However, as it starts to dry more of the sandalwood comes out and i'm just not a huge fan of sandalwood on myself as perfume. It always feels a little pencil-shavings-y.

On full drydown, this is a warm, pleasant spiced patchouli mix. The cinnamon here is really lovely-doesn't go hyperpowered red hots-warm brown cinnamon stick cinnamon and rich patchouli. The amber doesn't go too powdery. This is a nice blend, but it's not really my thing. However, patchouli and cinnamon lovers should definitely check this out-it's beautiful!

Cinnamon is not a note I love unless it's incredibly light and just warming up an oriental scent, like in Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur, so unsurprisingly, on application of Sin, I was resigned to feel indifferent. I think cinnamon is indeed the loudest note in this blend, but what holds my interest is a bready, doughy heart that brings to mind L'Artisan's Safran Troublant. On my skin the breadiness is very prominent, lightly yeasty and incredibly pleasant. Far from being sinful it reminds me of baking cinnamon bread with my mum when I was little. I find the patchouli to be quiet and grounding. I am trying to imagine a situation or person that could make Sin sinful. A tryst in the pantry between the cook and the master of the house.

3.7/5

well, I can definatle smell the patchouli and cardomon!! after it dries the amber and musk start to come out more and sweeten things up. nice scent, strong, great for patchouli lovers who are looking for a sweeter patchouli to try!

I love this scent, I really do - I got it from my friend (ProtoOmega here on the forums) for either Christmas or my birthday, I can't remember which, and it smells great on me :D But as of late, I don't know.

In the bottle I get a blast of patchouli, which I don't mind so much. I'm really not a sandalwood and patchouli fan but I definitely wanted to give this one a shot!

After applying, the same smell displays itself, though it has a slightly warmer scent on the skin. I really enjoyed this scent, especially after it dried down! It dried down to a warm, spicy vanilla smell on me with a touch of cloying cinnamon bringing up the rear. That being said...

Lately, this has absolutely started to stink on me. I don't know if my body chemistry has changed or maybe my nose has, but all I'm getting when I put this on is a very pushy, sticky, spicy tree-sap smell and it's overpowering enough to give me a headache whenever I wear this, and I've been wearing it for a good long while! Like I said I'm not sure if my body chemistry has changed or not, but it makes me sad ;_; I love love love Sin. It has such a rich, warm, golden glow with a lurking sinister feel to it. As others have stated this is definitely an adult perfume that exudes sexy. I only wish it hadn't changed so abruptly on me!

In the bottle: Sandalwood comes out first, but I can detect the other scents as well, in a smooth flow. Warm, round, and a little spicy, this feels like a wintery scent to me.

On me: Amber and cinnamon dominate, while the sandalwood and patchouli fade into background supporting notes. It is somewhat foody, but also sensual. The black patchouli does not give the strong hippy patchouli note I feared. As it dries more, it is becoming more woodsy.

1 hour+ later: The scent has not really changed. It is still a delectable warm, spicy scent, with a woody background.

I was a tad bit disappointed by this scent. I wanted it so badly to smell "thoroughly corrupted," but that's not really the vibe I got from it!

In bottle: I smell patchouli and cinnamon. Not so much amber or sandalwood. I'm scared because amber = powder on me.

Wet on skin: Cinnamon. That's all. Strong cinnamon with some sweetness. Just getting one note makes it kind of boring.

Dry on skin: Sweet, powdery cinnamon. It reminds me a bit of cinnamon gum. Not really the effect I was going for. I don't know where the sandalwood is in this blend, because I don't smell it. I think black patchouli goes sweet on me, and amber definitely goes powdery. It's not a bad smell, but I don't think I'll be using it much. I did hear cinnamon seems to appeal to men, so maybe I'll give it a try with the bf and see what he thinks. It's not that I can't stand it, it's just kind of boring and blah to me compared to other blends I've tried. I will give it another shot, and if it still doesn't work, then off to the swaps!

This is as if you took all the really great loves of my BPAL life, like Tieresias, Red Lace, Dragon's Blood and O and made them perfect.

Just enough cinnamon. And I also smell red musk???

Edit, no red musk, just that same sort of rich incense that I associate with Sherezade, Snake Oil, The Caterpillar and so on. The bottle that I bought was first in your face very dirty patchouli, but after a couple of months it is amazing cinammony incense, with a lighter patchouli. Quite perfect.

Edited by stellamaris

In the bottle I love the smell. Patchouli is usually good on me, cinnamon too, sandalwood is a scent I love but have trouble with.

On me: Wet wood ash. I washed it off immediately. My fiance liked it on me, but I couldn't bear it. The scent is still very nice though and I may have to find a use for it outside of perfume!

I wanted to love Sin, however, my skin amps the patchouli so much. If it weren't for that, it would be lovely. *sigh*

Edited by ziggystardust13

Oh wow! I absolutely love this. I was definitely expecting more cinnamon and was kinda sad that it didn't have it in spades, but it ended up being so beautiful that I love it in spite of my expectations being reversed.

In the bottle it was kind of a stanky patchouli-sandalwood mix. On my skin wet it was spicy sandalwood with dark undertones, with the cinnamon slowly picking up speed before almost completely vanishing. This steadily changed into a sweet and almost fruity, yet incredibly dry sandalwood as the day progressed. Although I was wearing a sweatshirt, and have incredibly dry skin, nearly five hours after applying I could still stretch the wrist of my sleeve and smell a delightfully soft, sweet sandalwood.

This was the scent where I finally realized that my skin turns most notes very sweet. . .which I should have realized when my sister's musky perfumes often turned to fruit loops on me. :rolleyes:

I had purchased this in an imp pack which was delivered on 11-19-11. I had to smell everything I had received and upon first sniff of Sin in the imp, my nose recoiled. All I smelled was dirty, black patchouli! I put it back in the box for another time.

I first skin tested this today. In the bottle it still smells terribly scary to me, but I build up my courage, and put it on my wrists.

While wet, all I smell is the black patchouli which to my nose just smells like rain-soaked dirt and bushes. Which, while fine in nature, not exactly what I want to smell like.

Upon drydown, the sandalwood comes out to give the mud and bushes a backdrop of a clean, white tree that was maybe just chopped down and the logs are scattered around on the ground. The cinnamon is lingering around about 100 yards away from this scene. It's there, but I don't know how much impact it's having on the overall scent.

As a newbie, I am fairly inexperienced so far (this is my first attempt at an official review), but I think this might age into something I can love. In a way, I can see this scent's goal and where it wants to be. I will have to revisit this after letting it sit and see if the patchouli chills out a little and blends as I love the sandalwood and this is a scent that the cinnamon doesn't amp up to Big Red chewing gum on me.

First impressions: This sent is sort of... dusty. It's brilliant in that I can smell all the notes, with none of them taking totally over -- definite strong sandalwood with the nose-itching warmth of cinnamon, a touch of sweetness from amber, and the spice of patchouli. Here, the patchouli/sandal/cinnamon combination reminds me really strongly of my hometown, where we have tons of sagebrush, but then the amber comes in and binds it all together with something mild and sweet.

An hour and a half in, this really starts to blend. The spices are less itchy and the whole thing is a much richer, more complex sandalwood. It's starting to get really nice at this stage.

This has some serious kick in the beginning, and lasts quite a while. Six hours now and it's still very clear. I would lay bets it'll last for another four as a beckon-in scent.

I feel compelled to layer this with Perversion. I think the warm, long-lasting spiciness of Sin and the foodiness of Perversion in the way the rum and almondy-vanilla play on my skin will do amazing things.

This is a very dark scent, but somehow comforting, too. Heavy and languid, a perfect stay in bed all day scent. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was what Sloth would smell like.

Imp/wet: thick, dark, heavy, smokey, and sexy. Amber, and patchouli.

Drydown: the cinnamon comes out in this stage making it spicier, and warmer.

Dry: now I am getting the sandalwood. Also something that is slightly creamy, I think that is the amber though, which has been known to turn powdery on me.

Overall: this is very well blended, and has great throw. It's really seductive, and sexy. If this was a mixture of sins it would be lust, pride, greed, and envy. It really is naughty! Amber turns to powder a lot on me, but it seems like the cinnamon is making the powder creamy instead of overpowering. I love this oil, and as long as the amber behaves it's a keeper for sure!

I forgot to add that if this were a song it would be rev 22:20 by puscifer, the lyrics that come to mind, "even jesus would martyr his mama to ride to hell between those thighs".

Edited by Dani87

edit: The initial review is from when I first tried this scent, over four months ago. It's not favourable. It was kind of gross, honestly. However, I just tested this again, and it's really lovely. It just needs time to age, I think - and I do think my chemistry had something to do with it, since I remember being really stressed at the time.

Now: The cinnamon is strong, and the patchouli is dark and potent, but it's not as earthy, and the cinnamon smells more natural and blends well with the other components. The amber is also GORGEOUS. Very sweet. Some lovely patchouli in there now, too. This is powerful and very, very sexy. On any gender, even though it's a masculine scent. This ranks 4/5 now. Love!

Old review, for reference as to how much it changed -

I wish I could respond with the enthusiasm of some of these other reviewers, but... this didn't go so well for me.

In the imp and first on: :ack: It smells... disgusting. Dirt and rotting vegetation. And maybe oats. Cinnamon appears fairly quickly, a very sharp, spicy cinnamon. Red Hots. I take a look at the notes and decide it’s the black patchouli that’s the issue. But I usually love patchouli, so I’m taken aback. Even after 10 minutes, this is mostly dark, dark earth; very aggressive patchouli. It starts to smell a bit normal at this point, but not pretty. The cinnamon is interesting but SHARP, the kind you taste on the back of your tongue. It’s not blended well into the other notes, it’s hanging free and screaming at me. Honestly.... pungent grains, dirt, and Red Hots don't smell so good together.

20 minutes: The “blackness” of the patchouli is a bit more restrained, but not by much. Aggressive patchouli and lots of cinnamon climbing up my nose. Not sure how I feel about it. On some days, I think the blend could feel strong and empowering. At the moment it’s more overpowering and it makes me want to scrub it off and go hug a teddy bear or something for comfort. Not something I’m usually inclined to do. It still smells like grains. Sour gruel. Something weird about the patchouli... it’s not the lovely, warm kind I know.

At 30 minutes it’s less unlikeable – at least, there’s still something in it I have a definite aversion to, but my nose keeps going straight to my wrist. It keeps growing on me, very gradually. Another 10 minutes and the patchouli starts to behave itself, the cinnamon is spicy but not painfully, and there’s a touch of sweet amber. Still no sign of sandalwood, at all. Considering I usually amp it.... :huh:

At 2 and a half hours I finally get the sexy impression that others got, probably from the amber getting stronger and taming the dirty notes.

It lasts a very long time, and definitely has throw. Which is unfortunate, because... although I could push my brain into appreciating the blend at times, there’s something about it that I find borderline repulsive. So... it’s not for me. Nearer to 3 hours it's decent, but that's an awfully long time to wait.

Summary: Powerful, intense, dirty (not necessarily in a good way), quite masculine. Its name suits it. Very aggressive black patchouli and red hot cinnamon, that eventually calms down into a more manageable patchouli + cinnamon blend with a touch of amber. Unfortunately, there’s something that smells like sour grains that puts me off.

But take this with a grain of salt, because I’m really stressed right now and I suspect that could be making my skin chemistry act up. I’m just not sure I’m willing to give it another try to find out.

Rating: 1.25/5

Edited by Dusk

I originally ordered Sin about a year ago and fell in love with it - on me it became a warm musky scent with just hints of spicy cinnamon. I wore it every day as a signature scent and even stopped a few people in their tracks to have them tell me how good I smelled. :lol:

This time around the cinnamon is overwhelming! All of the amber is missing and the color of the oil is even quite different - bright red vs warm brown.

I don't like this version at all - I liked the original sexy/sinful scent, not this I-rolled-in-red-hots-in-the-bulk-aisle redux. :huh?:

Edited by Ignutzz

This is my favourite scent to date. It is the sort of perfume I've been hoping for - not sweet but rich, powerful, complex and subtle. When I tried it I had no idea what to expect, partly because I'm still new to all this and don't know what half the ingredients are supposed to smell like, but mostly because I didn't check the description before I tried it so I had no idea what would be in it.

First Sniff: Cinnamon and bark.

Second Sniff: It is definitely a strong cinnamon, but the background has a dry sweetness. It's almost malty. Wait, now it smells like... carrot? It's sweet in the way that carrots are sweet but not cloying.

Wet: A sprinkling of cinnamon sugar over something woody. The wood brings the scent together and holds up the cinnamon, stopping it from being overpowering. This is lovely and warm.

Dry (30 mins): The cinnamon has softened and is not as sharp as it was wet. This remains malty, woody, sweet and dry. I love it.

Dry (1.5 hours): Beautifully warm sweetened spices.

Dry (3 hours): This is still going strong. It's softened again but (hallelujah!) hasn't gone powdery. It's mulled spices without the astringent wine, or like warm milk with cinnamon and honey.

Throw: mild to none. (Sin lasted over 5 hours on me which more than makes up for lack of throw)

Colour: deep red and chocolate brown.

I think... having tried over twenty different imps, I think I'm finally ready to pick a bottle. This isn't exactly what I pictured when I set out, but It's so lovely that I just can't stop sniffing myself. And I've learnt something about which notes I like, at least. To summarise in one word, 'Yum'.

Whoa, the imp is scary dark! About the color of liquid sin, I guess. :lol:

The oil is dark enough that I would have to wear it under my clothes - it is very noticeable where it's on my skin. I was expecting this to be all fiery death on me because sometimes cinnamon goes too harsh, but... I'm liking this. The amber and cinnamon together are slightly sweet, and the patchouli is holding down the fort and grounding it with a sexy darkness. Whoa. Why the heck did I wait so long to test this imp? I think I may be buying a bottle of this later. :wub2:

Edit: Hold up... I thought it had been done morphing, but I guess not. It ends up being sort of plasticky dirt on the far drydown. I don't know how that happened; this had so much potential... :cry2:

Edited by calivianya

Sin!

In imp: straight up skin-warmed patchouli

On skin: more sandalwoody patchouli, something bright and sweet playing at the background. Ambery cinnamon?

Drydown: sweet and sultry sandalwood with the deep earthiness of patchouli grounding it

Verdict: I do like it, I was kinda hoping this would smell like liquid sexuality, but it reminds me a bit of my patchouli-wearing grandfather. It's probably sexy if you're hot for hippies, but regardless it has potential :D

ETA: This oil was a very dark red, and kind of funny to see swiped across my wrists. Maybe I'm just morbid >_>

ETAA: Hey now, what the. It's a sexualized sandalwood now, like what a vixen faun might smell like.

Edited by madscientistdh

I've been bathing in Sin long enough that I have two reviews, really, wrapped into one - fresh bottle and aged bottle.

Fresh bottle: smells like amber and cinnamon.

Aged bottle: sandalwood and cinnamon

On Me, fresh: There is definitely sandalwood but it takes a little bit of dry-down to really reach full power, cinnamon fades instead of amplifies. Patchouli definitely present but not annoying. Definitely strong, a little masculine. Spouse says: smells like honeycomb and amber.

On Me, aged: Wet to dry, there's a lot of sandalwood here. However, it's a rich, full sandalwood rather than the pencil shavings variety I usually find. The patchouli gets bolder and richer with time so it's more present but also creamier, if that makes sense. The amber seems to have gone but the cinnamon stays constant - it still fades rather than amplifying into cinnamon red-hots immediately. This one gets better as it ages, I think.