Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Initial thoughts: Hmmm... not sure about this one - on the one hand, amber and cinnamon. On the other... black patchouli. Ick. I'm looking for something dark and smouldering, rather than dark and wet like Ligur, and with staying power, unlike Bloodlust. Let the Sin begin!

In the imp: I do get the black patchouli most of all, but there are some really complex, spicy things going on in there that I can't quite describe. However, I amp patchouli, so I'm worried I'll lose some of that in the testing.

On the wrist, wet: Cinnamon. Dark, luxurious cinnamon - this is no gingerbread cookie. A smoulder of patchouli, but it's really playing quite nice. The cinnamon is really the most prominent at this point, when the patchouli is usually going VROOM on my skin, but it's very unlike any cinnamon blends I've tried before in it's darkness and depth. And it's throw. Man, this is potent.

Twenty minutes later: Amazing - it's still that awesome, dark, sultry cinnamon I really liked in the wet stages. The patchouli has not only behaved itself but gone above and beyond the call of duty. This is very aptly named - it's dark and dangerous, sure, but that delicious cinnamon topnote is sitting there, tempting you to come and take a bite...

Verdict: Keeper, and maybe even a bottle when it runs out.

Tl;Dr: A dark, sultry, smouldering blend with a tasty cinnamon topnote.

I'm wearing Sin right now, and I'm a little freaked out. I've had a bottle of it for a couple of years, and this whole time I thought that Sin had red musk in it. I always thought it was similar to Lust, except spicier. Today I realized I hadn't written a review for Sin yet, so I looked at the notes to write a review. It doesn't have red musk in it. What the hell was I thinking?

It's good and dark due to the patchouli and amber, but I swear it also seems musky to me. The cinnamon is fairly strong in it, but blended with those other notes I don't mind it as much as I usually do.

Dark spicy scents are a little hard for me to wear sometimes because they seem so heavy to me. However, I really like this scent. It's not something I usually want to wear in the summertime, but in the autumn and winter it's wonderful.

Oh, and btw, this one really lasts on me. It's not one of the ones I have to add to lotion and put in my hair just to get the scent to stick around. Sometimes I can still smell it when I wake up the next morning.

This is a smooth, light amber to me. It has a shot of cinnamon and an enticing and sexy patchouli base. There's also something in there that's almost musky, but it evades my nose when I try to narrow in on it. The sandalwood adds a dryness and gives this a slightly incensey vibe when it combines with the amber. This is dead sexy!!

This scent is both pretty and sexy on me at the same time. When I first put it on I mainly smell cinnamon and sandalwood, with a hint of patchouli. I'm so glad that the patchouli stays in the background for me, because normally it overpowers any other notes.

After about ten minutes I still am picking up on the cinnamon mainly, but it's a soft cinnamon, if that makes sense. I think the sandalwood tempers the cinnamon a bit. I can't stop sniffing my wrists.

Sin lasts a long time on me and has a decent amount of throw. I don't think I'd wear this one to work, but this is going to be competing with Event Horizon for my signature evening scent. I have a bottle of it on order at the moment. Great scent.

----------------

Now playing: Devin Townsend - the Fluke

via FoxyTunes

Edited by Archaeopteryx

I don't know what I was thinking when I got this. My body plays up patchouli like nobody's business and cinnamon burns my skin. So long story short this one was not for me.

This here is a damn sexy scent.

In the imp, it's dark and woody, with a little spicy sweetness. The scent of something wild and sexual. I absolutely love it. The sandalwood and patcholi give it an earthy base, and the cinnamon is sweet and hot without burning my skin, as it does in All Night Long (which broke my heart).

Methinks I need a bottle of this!!

Another scent I was so looking forward to destroyed on my skin by patchouli. Why???

Patchouli seems to be my arch nemesis in Beth's scents sadly ... because some days I'm a girl who really feels like wearing Sin. Guess I'll have to stick with Lust and Ravenous and Lilith for my dark, naughty, mischievous moods.

In the vial: Amber, with developing patchouli and a tang underneath.

Wet: Patchouli first, then amber, but the sandalwood is closing in fast.

Twenty minutes: This smells very much like leather to me, like tannin or something else a little sour and bitter. I think it's the sandalwood and patchouli interacting. Although I can notice the amber, it's not behaving like amber usually does on me.

One hour: The overwhelming impression of leather has died back, but I can still notice it. The amber has become more prominent, and it's warmer, not so sour. I like this one, but it's a no-nonsense kind of scent, something I'd wear when I don't care what anybody else thinks.

Two hours: This has turned into something not outside the mainstream. I like the amber-dominated blend of it very much and wish it had been like this from the beginning. Not sure I love it enough to keep, though. It will need another test.

Four hours: Yep, amber still dominating a nice but unspectacular blend.

Several hours later: The amber is still noticeable. My skin just adores and ramps amber. But in the fold of my elbow, I can also still smell the sandalwood. Surprising.

Sin was actually in my first imp pack I ever bought but I could never make my mind up about it, so I decided on a retry. I do like it a lot--the cinnamon-spiciness blended with the patchouli is very sexy. And is there some sort of musk in here? I think I'll give it a proper wearing one of these days.

Got a lab frimp that was full to overflowing with Sin. Hmm, are they trying to tell me something?

In the imp: whoa, I'm being hit with the Patchouli Stick of Doom!

Wet: patchouli and sandalwood are struggling for dominance.

Drydown: this is a nice competent Come!Here!Now! scent on me, but the patchouli and sandalwood are totally overwhelming the amber and cinnamon. This would be a more interesting scent if they could all play nicely together.

If you like this try: Intrigue, Madame Moriarty, Scherazade.

In the bottle and wet on the skin: Ooooo, this is lovely. In the bottle, I get the amber mostly.

Wet on the skin, it starts out as amber and then smells a bit like Red Hots or Big Red gum.

Within the first 15 minutes or so, the cinnamon gets in my throat a bit, which I don't like. Certain smells, I can 'taste'

On dry down, the intense cinnamon tang mellowed and I could pick up the sandalwood and the amber. Normally, I don't like patchouli, but it must have been tamed because it didn't overpower.

It didn't seem to have great staying power, except for that taste of cinnamon in my throat, which I could continue to taste even when I couldn't smell it on my wrist. Or I'm just used to Sin - meh heh heh. I like it, but I like some of the muskier scents better. Probably won't buy a bottle, but will enjoy the imp.

My first impression of Sin was not good, it was strong and just a bit bitter.

After the second go with it I like it. Subtle amber but the patchouli is a bit too strong for me. If you are getting this based on the patchouli note, be warned black patchouli is much stronger and has an edge to it.

In the bottle this is very dark, strong and almost bitter, but with a incense like spiciness.

Wet on the skin, sin is very warm scent, like sacred incense. To me,this smells like old altars.

During the dry down, this got to be very sweet on my skin. The sandalwood mellowed out, and the patchouli dropped out almost altogether. It was still a warm smell, and not flowery. I like it very much.

Several hours later there is still a sweet, warm scent on my skin. It seemed to have faded a bit quickly, but it still smells nice.

Overall, I am quite pleased, I'm not really one for floral scents and was looking for something with some spice. I am a tiny bit disappointed that the cinnamon notes don't seem to react to my skin, but it's still very lovely. I was also afraid that the patchouli would be too much for me, but the amber and sandalwood mellowed it so that it was just beautiful. I've got a 5ml of this one, and I can see myself wearing it on a regular basis.

It's rare when I try out something and it's a "must have a bottle" feeling. Well Sin does just that. This is like Scherezade, but with a nice spicy kick. The oil was so thick and dark and the patchouli is really so very smooth and mellow. There is other notes, I get a faint whiff of amber, but everything is blended so very well it's hard to pick out. The imp I had was only half full, so I'm thinking it must be one a nice forumite put in a package for me. Could be that it's aged? I'm overwhelmed, LOVE this one!!!

In imp. and on, wet: Patchouli and sandalwood - musky, with a touch of spicy/sweetness - yum.

Drydown: Amber. That's it. It's pleasant, but smells like the opposite of sin to me. Nice, but not bottle-worthy.

In The Bottle

Sandalwood and cinnamon

On Application

As above with a bit of patchouli to darken up the mix

Dry Down

No surprises here. Smells like a teak spice box. I like it but I don't think it is bottle-worthy for me.

Rating (0-5)

This is a review of a bottle I've had for 4 years. It was one of my first BPAL purchases. :P

Wet in bottle: Mostly the sandalwood, with some dark patchouli.

On skin: Cinnamon comes out to play, making the Spousal Equivalent call me Cinnamon Girl. :D I looooove cinnamon. The patchouli is there, too, but for such a dark patchouli, it's not taking over. Mostly sandalwood and cinnamon.

After 20 minutes: Amber has come round to sweeten up the deal. So it's resiny, spicy, just a tiny bit sweet. It is AWESOME. I feel like a million bucks when I wear it.

Drydown: Cinnamon and sandalwood with the patchouli and amber keeping it real. I love this. I'm thinking I should buy another bottle NOW to age.

This is not a daytime scent, and it's not really work appropriate. This is lascivious, sexual, leering and confident. There's great throw, and it's quite strong. You'll be noticed in this.

Rating: :D

Root beer candy (think Bottle Caps from back in the 80s) with a woody note. Harmonious, but the contrast between the innocent candy scent and cologne-like note makes it instantly erotic. My mind went EVERYWHERE south of the gutter after applying and is still going. If a man wore this around me he'd be at the police station the next day filing sexual assault charges. A+++.

This is the blend that made me love patchouli again. I can't believe I haven't reviewed this until now. This was a frimp from the lab awhile back that I ended up loving even more than the ones I picked myself. The patchouli was earthy and delicious, not overly hippie. The cinnamon provided a spicy depth and the amber lends a beautiful sweetness. Just YUM!

Sin, for me, starts off quite looming with strong cinnamon and heavy patchouli. It sort of gives the impression that it will remain a quite powerful scent. But then, after a while they all grow a bit a milder and the sandalwood lets itself be known and it settles into a nicely harmonic combination of sandalwood and patchouli with just a dash of cinnamon to give it that extra dash of spice and mystery. A friend said it smelled like a shop full of wonderful incenses.

I'm quite happy with this one, it fits a guy very well, it sets out to be very masculine and when it becomes milder it's a very good allround unisex scent.

Wet: Dry resin. Sandalwood and patchouli.

First on: A bit sweeter; I think the cinnamon is peeking through. Still very dry.

Dry: It's okay. It smells a bit too much like I rolled in plain incense, though.

Wet: A very sharp, black, hard sort of smell, if that makes any sense.

Dry: Softened somewhat, but still quite unpleasant to my nose.

Overall: Ugh - this blend did not suit me at all. I don't know if it was the patchouli or the sandalwood or the combination of both, but this blend was just completely unwearable on my skin, and I didn't really like it in the bottle either. Better luck to those with different chemistry!

This has to be my all time favorite BPAL scent (so far). Love it, love it, love it!

Very warm, bold and sexy - to me, it's the scent equivalent of the feel of a fur coat.

The amber and sandalwood keep this one going and going, and does it ever have a throw. I have taken some of my bottle and diluted with a carrier oil, and that keeps it from walloping people over the head! It's also nice to mix with an unscented body lotion.

Pamster

THANKS BETH!!!!

THANKS BETH!!!!

THANKS BETH!!!!

:loveya:

This is a freakin' amazing, wonderful, beautiful scent!!!

In fact, I am almost empty (yet again) and am planning a replenishment order in another tab :D

I wear a lot of Sin. Sexy, cinnamon-y, amber-y, earthy, long lasting. I want to live inside my 5mls!

From wet to dry to the next morning it's always sultry and oh-so-good.

I feel extremely blessed that cinnamon agrees with me, though I have to resist slathering straight out of the shower for fear of the dread red marks. It's probably my favorite all around go-to BPAL (although I've been having a very serious and not-so clandestine affair with Blood Moon '08 - and hoarding every bottle I can get my hot little hands on).

Yesterday, after finally recovering from a dreadlock and hoodie soaking Blood Moon accident a few days back (the 2nd accident with the same bottle, grrr) I busted out the Sin again to clear my head and nostrils. MMMMMMM!

Then the Flavor stopped by for a quick hello...

"Mmmm, you smell like cinnamon... You smell goooooood"

5 nuzzling minutes with nothing but arms around me and the sound of deep breaths buried in my neck laced with an occasional nibble.

Have you ever been pushed away from a kiss just so you can be inhaled some more?

Sin is THAT F'n GOOD!

Oh -

Sin goes really, REALLY well with Villainess Embargo flavored goodies! Plus, the Embargo Whipped post-shower/pre-slather seems to keep the red streaks down to a minimum.

Sin is also yummy layered with a touch of DeSade. On me, a lot like Loviatar (also MMMMM!) but I ease off the leather for a subtler whiff - like a well worn black leather jacket - rather than the whip crack of leather in the Loviatar.