Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lunaratu

scents similar to Evyan's White Shoulders

Hi everyone,

as long as I can remember my mom has loved this perfume called White Shoulders. however, it can be a little hard to find and i think it smells a bit like the ethanol which is probably mixed in to help it dry faster. I want to find a bpal oil that will work wonderfully on her in the stead of White Shoulders which (given that she takes a bath almost everyday because of a bad knee) she could also use to scent bath products as well. One other problem however: my mom is asthmatic and does not respond well to overly strong scents. For example, when I was in high school she really liked the scent of Hypnotic Poison on me but it was a bit too intense for her (and it's only three notes: Jasmine, Bitter Almond, and Honey).

The description on White Shoulders is that it's a refined, flowery fragrance made up of a blend of classic florals including Gardenia, Lilac, Amber, Oakmoss, and Jasmine.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions to at least get me started on my search. Thanks a bunch!

On my mom, White Shoulders led with the gardenia and jasmine--my first thought for gardenia and jasmine together is Euphrosyne, which is all jasmine, gardenia on me with just a hint of tea rose and vanilla (but not at all a foody vanilla IMO, just adds a certain richness to the scent). Mata Hari might be good too, it's a little darker and more mature than Euphrosyne but it's also much rosier and I don't know if that's something that might put her off since there is no rose at all in White Shoulders. AFAIK those are the only scents with both notes, and if the lilac or amber is more prominent on your mom, these recs may not work for her at all. Do you have a sense of what comes to the fore on her most?

ETA: thinking about your mom not doing so well with the heady scents, I'd probably of these two say Euphrosyne over Mata Hari, it's more delicate and has a less potent throw, on me anyway. You might also consider Thalia for a light delicate gardenia, if the jasmine is too much.

Edited by northatlantic

BLOOD COUNTESS!!!!

Elizabeth Báthory, also called Erzsébet Báthory in Hungarian and Alžbeta Bátoriová-Nádašdy in Slovak, was the Bloody Lady of Hungary. In order to preserve her youth and loveliness, the brutal and incomparably savage countess captured, tortured and slaughtered innumerable young women and bathed in their blood as part of her beauty regimen. Ah, vanity. Corrupted black plum, smoky opium and crumbling dead roses covered by a deceptive veil of Hungarian lilac, white gardenia and wild berry.

that's what immediately sprang to mind. :D but i'll do more digging. :P

Salomé

A scent that is both coquettish and sinister. Exotic and lush, brimming with grace and viciousness: almond with star jasmine, oakmoss, red sandalwood and Egyptian musk.

White Shoulders is a classic, creamy white floral. Look for scents with tuberose or other similar florals. Here are a few suggestions: Nocturne, Delight, Desdemona, Ophelia, Moon Rose, Melancholia, Iambe, Sophia, Erato, Terpsichore, Moscow, Prague.

Also...and this isn't *that* much like White Shoulders, but something about it reminds me of it...try French Love from the Voodoo range. It's a gorgeous floral. She may also like Le Serpent Qui Danse. It's all about gardenias and violets, so it's a bit different from White Shoulders, but it has that same bold creaminess.

wow--you guys are amazing! :D you have made my job so much easier. my mom can sometimes be really hard to shop for and I was thinking of making lots of stuff scented like her favorite perfume. Now I have a place to start and everything! You guys have given me so many options that I have plenty of ideas to go with. Thanks so much! :P

Blood Countess is strong though, my experience with it - it was a strong perfumey floral with hints of fruit.

Veil is somewhere near there, a bit lavendary though.

Blood Countess is strong though, my experience with it - it was a strong perfumey floral with hints of fruit.

hm, maybe i just like it so much, but it wasn't that strong for me.

hrm. odd.

Veil is somewhere near there, a bit lavendary though.

If your skin doesn't get on with white florals, it's pretty common for them to turn into SCREAMING FLOWERS. But since White Shoulders is one of the classic white florals, her mom's skin likely adores white florals. And if your skin likes white florals, the usual description is a sensual, sweet and gloriously creamy scent.