Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Intergalactic

This blend is difficult to review. It smells dark to me, yet very sweet. There is a strong incense, or maybe resinous, undercurrent that my skin amps up as it dries. The haze of sweetness over it occassionally reminds me of Aquanet, but mostly is just hard to get a handle on. It does smell floral, though, rather than citrus or melon on me. This really is a fascinating scent, like no other BPAL I've run across. It also stays pretty close to the skin, though initially it smells strong to me. It also does a quick disappearing act. I'm really grateful to have had a chance to try it, but it isn't one I'm going to keep.

In the imp, this is very much a cologne-ish kind of scent. It makes me think of the Avon perfumes around when I was younger. Maybe it's a musk?

Initial application is all a light musk or maybe an oakmoss? I can definitely see where people are getting celery from this blend, though it's not really doing that on me. It's reminding me of Privilege. Then there's a sweet note coming out - a warm sugar, maybe even a caramel. Wow. With the musk, this is really nice. There's also some white floral, though mostly I'm getting sugar and musk. The sugar fades rather quickly leaving that musky/oakmoss with the tinge of floral.

Verdict: I really love the sugary musky stage of this one. I just wish the sugar didn't fade so fast. I'm still undecided on this one.

There's something about Intergalactic that makes my head explode in a fun way. I get this mishmash of fruit, maple, sugar, something musky, something exotic, and something nutty. I definitely think there's a nut in there of some sort. Amazingly, Intergalactic doesn't come off as foody. It's just sort of all over the place and yet unified. I really can't wrap my brain around that contradiction but it's really quite the experience. I LOVE it, that's for sure! It faded faster than average but when it was there, the throw was medium. I rate this 4 out of 5. :P

This is a sweet, soft, slightly floral scent on me. I like it quite a bit, but I can't quite get my head around it well enough for a decent review. I got it in a swap with a friend who said on her it was burned sugar cookies of DEATH. It's nothing like that on me. . .

Sweet and erm 'fizzy' but slightly musky with a hint of citrus in the imp.

For some reason I keep thinking "ginger ale!" even though it doesn't, well, smell like ginger ale.

It just has that sort of effervescent quality to the scent.

On, tropical floral, wow, a floral I can deal with... maybe gardenia, and a hint of lotus.

The floral keeps fading in and out and I catch whiffs of some sort of citrus-y something.

Or maybe it's tropical fruity and I just think citrus.

Hrmm... 'tropical' keeps popping to mind, but it doesn't have a tropical feel at all, it's

got a very *bright* throw to it that keeps wafting around, but closer to the skin, it's soft and musky and sweet.

First sniff: High-pitched and hyper, a citrusy-ozoney brightness with some very light musk underneath.

Wearing: It’s the White Rain hairspray note from Stardust, and a lot of spinny neon craziness.

I had a very emotional reaction to this one. Wet it smells like chewable vitamin C and rose hip tea. The scent memory it induced was so powerful it moved me to tears -- it smells exactly like my dearly departed great grandfather.

Dry I can see where people get the hairspray note, but the wet stage is so moving, I just love this blend. When I close my eyes, I see my sweet great grandfather's face and hear his beautiful bird calls (he could whistle like dozens of birds!).

Oddly, this is the closest blend to my first Chaos Theory that I've come across. Take away most of the sweetness of that blend, and maybe add a bit of savory spiciness, and that's what Intergalactic smells like to me. I'm glad I don't get 'hairspray' from this, like others have. It reminds me of Indian cooking spices, a little bit. But there's obviously more going on here. There is kind of a crisp-ness, like dried leaves? And something almost scorched. Very interesting scent, and nothing like I was expecting. I am not going to go way out of my way to find more, but it is something I could wear. The one problem is very, very little throw. I'm glad I got to try this!

This one shares similarities with Stardust, which ended up as a more sophisticated Charlie on me. Again, there's that high pitched 'hair spray' note as in Stardust, and it does sort of smell like Charlie, but fruitier.

Glam as all get out.

i got frimped a generous decant of this from the luvly Wikkidraven in a recent swap, and i'm glad i had a chance to try it out.

in the vial, it's a soft sweet floral musk. very delicate, and quite sweet but not cloying.

wet on the skin it's a mixture of gardenia, jasmine and a light swirl of spun sugar. mmmm! :yum:

on the drydown, the sugar amps up a bit, but the gardenia holds it's own. this reminds me quite a lot of Unheavenly City, but the gardenia in this blend doesnt have the "candy" aspect that Unheavenly has.

in all: a lovely sweet crossover floral, i will love my decant for all it's worth, but i don't think i'll try to track down more.

:smile:

I won this from an eBay auction. It's a light floral, citrus musk scent. I get a sweet creaminess that is light and musky. In the bottle there is a fresh squeeze of orange or kumquat, but it disappears on my skin. It's so faint that I get almost no throw. It's pretty, but I think I'll put it in the swap pile.

This scent reminds me of fizzy orange soda. As it dries though, it's more musk than fruit. If you like Citrus blends, this is definitely worth trying.

In the bottle: Golden oil. Sweet, foody, fruity. Also a little spicy and bitter. Nutty, too - walnuts?

Wet: Honeyed walnuts. This reminds me GREATLY of baklava. There's also a sweet floral or two. Something sort of citrusy...ahhh! Starfruit! It's quite juicy, tart-sweet.

Dry: Definitely some lily, with a very slightly powdery-soapy edge. Stargazer lily, maybe? There's another floral note too, as well as a culinary spice, clove I believe.

Later: Going quite musky, in that high-pitched way that makes me think white musk. It's a VERY strong musk note. Also, some sort of strong white floral, not lily, is amping. Ahhh, magnolia.

Summary: Okay, I'm getting a sort of caramel 'n dry wood note. Ah! It's that caramel and teak combo from Agrat-Bat-Mahlat. That sort of burnt-sugar edge. It's also gotten more tart/citrusy - lemon-something.

Caramel, teak, starfruit, lemon (verbena?), magnolia, clove, some type of lily, strong musk and possibly walnut. Bizarre! And too foody for me, though I LOVE the starfruit/magnolia combo.

Edited by fairnymph

I GOT ME SOME INTERGALACTIC!

AND IT IS NOTHING LIKE I EXPECTED. SO MUCH SO THAT IT GAVE ME YELLY! DISEASE.

I EXPECTED THE DISILLUSIONED LOVECHILD OF NEO-TOKYO AND STARDUST, OUT TO MISSPEND ITS YOUTH AS BEST IT CAN.

WHAT I GOT WAS GRANDMA'S FRUITCAKE.

BUT NOT REAL FRUITCAKE, JUST THE CONCEPT OF FRUITCAKE. LIKE IT SMELLS LIKE THE GUY WHO FIRST THOUGHT "Hmm...dense dark bread that is simultaneously stale and syrupy, riddled with technicolor "fruit" and hard black crunchy things you hope are burnt nuts, but which could just as easily be char-broiled kidney stones for all you can determine...SOUNDS DELICIOUS!".

I EXPECTED ZIGGY STARDUST. I GOT THE STARLAND VOCAL BAND.

I EXPECTED 'Ground Control to Major Tom...'. WHAT I GOT WAS 'Skyyyyy-rockets in flight!'.

I EXPECTED The Velvet Goldmine. WHAT I GOT WAS Glitter.

I EXPECTED DEBAUCHED, BI-CURIOUS BOYCHIKS IN TIGHT METALLIC JEANS, BIG WHITE FUR COATS WITH NO SHIRTS UNDERNEATH, GLITTER EYELINER SMEARED ACROSS THEIR LIDS LIKE DELICIOUSLY DIRTY CLEOPATRAS, LISTENING TO THE COWBOY JUNKIES COVER OF "Sweet Jane" ON AN OLD RCA VICTROLA AS THEY LAY PRONE AND ARCHED UPON VARIOUS CUSHIONS AND PILLOWS AND SILK SARIS IN A DETERIORATED OLD VICTORIAN PARLOR, FLORAL WALLPAPER FADING AND PEELING AND WATERSTAINED, STRAY KITTENS KITTENING ABOUT THE MAN-PILE. WHAT I GOT WAS SOME EMO HIPSTER FUCKWAD IN HIS SISTER'S JEANS, WHOSE NOKIA PHONE PLAYS A Panic!At The Disco SONG WHEN HIS MOM CALLS.

....WHY DO I ALWAYS ASSOCIATE VICTROLAS AND GRAMOPHONES WITH SEX?

I completely agree with everyone who said this smells like celery right out of the bottle. :eek: And celery is one of the things I hate most of all. Being brave, I dabbed a bit on my wrists and although the celery note lingered, it became more bearable. About 15 minutes later, everything mellowed out. Now there is a melon-mixed-with-hair-spray summery scent. I was automatically reminded of the 80's: women with huge hair held up by tons of hair spray, wearing neon-colored bikinis.

This fragrance is definitely fun and unusual. Great for summer or when you're in an 80's mood. :D

Thank you, Persian Mouse, for the opportunity to try this!

Edited by NeonGreen

Intergalactic

Ha! I smelled a lot of what other people smelled in this... white musk and hairspray, melon, celery, and violet... And florals. I was sniffing at this so much, in an attempt to describe it, I got to a point where I didn't even know what I was smelling anymore. In the end, I'm going with perfumey florals (orchid? magnolia?). I actually like it quite a bit!

In the bottle: Musk, something sweet, maybe fruity, some spices or incense--it's a sweet darkness.

Wet: A sweet dark cake, being eaten in a room where there's some dark fruits in a bowl, like blood oranges, too ripe peaches, plums. Nearby, perhaps in another room, someone is burning a lovely incense, full of amber and resins.

The dry-down: Just yummy and foodie, but not in a lick-your-wrist sort of way. This is what fruitcake should smell and taste like. I like this a lot and will be wearing it some during the winter holidays. My only complaint is that it doesn't last long and I have to re-apply. And the name of the scent is pretty, but I would have expected a lot of ozone for some reason with such a name.

I get straight-up hairspray when it's wet, and once it dries, there's a melon-spicy-foody thing going on. :eek: Like someone sprayed nutty, syrupy cake with fruit-scented hair products. Far out, man.

Edited by sirensea

On me this is the creamy gardenia from The Unheavenly City meets melon. Very soft close to the skin, a tad sweet & fruity and a tad floral. Pretty nice.

Edited by beachbabealways

In the bottle, I'm getting a candied fruit musk with a touch of what I think is ozone. On my skin, this is ozone and candied fruit lurking underneath. Hrm. We'll see where this goes. I'm just really not sure about this scent, going to set it aside until after I'm back from Japan and see if my opinions change at all.

Edited by Venneh

I am never in all my BPAL years smelt anything like intergalactic. The only thing I can compare it to even slightly is a very toned down version of Parliament of Monsters. A smoky lighter clovey version? Sprinkled with pepper, lavender and chopped cucumber. Yes... this is a lavender infused smoked cucumber sprinkled with pepper and clove to finish. Freakin weird!!!!! Oh and while you're eating this rank cumber, choke on some hair spray while you're at it!

Woa.... my review is SO off from others. Then again I have bizarre skin chemistry...

Edited by TulaMontage

Oh dear, ok: so I could be wrong but this seems like it’s straight up supposed to be a glam rock scent, like how bpal did that death rock/etc series.  

1.  It smells like walking into Brian Slade’s dressing room lol.  It has ethereal more vintage smelling hairspray as a top note, that “creamy” hair dye kind of a scent, and blendy scents that evoke pale pinky/yellow/greenish/blue glam rock colors that have a surreal vibe w with maybe a cheeky “fruity”ness?  

2. 2nd phase:  the hair dye scent transitions into a coconutty gardenia, w vintage hairspray top note.  It wears like a vague soft outer spacey hair spray musk/vague hint of that color evoking scent before/and like a soft makeup skin musk (powdery/lipstick/soft/almost like soft peach? blossom note) w kiss of gardenia and coconut.  The longer I wear it, the more the coconut and skin musk come out.  The hair spray never leaves but the whole thing smells unexpectedly good - like it smells good like a special friend you are very fond of or something. 

3. I don’t completelyyy understand how the second phase fits into the scent theme so it makes me doubt everything, but then why is the hairspray here? 🧐 so confusing.  It does still smell like “glam rock” but with more like a fairyish perfume underneath vintage hair spray, soft powdery makeup skin musk, and hair dye.  I suppose that can make sense too 🧐  it’s almost too close to some of the things I personally associate with glam rock, so I’m suspicious of my perceptions lol. 

WHO EXACTLY IS THIS SCENT SUPPOSED TO BE lol ~ it smells like a *someone*, maybe several someones.  What is happening!! it kinda smells like it could be an unreal outer space girl now. 

PHEW.  That was complicated to describe haha.

It is so wild how different all the reviews of this are!!  And how it doesn’t match the scent notes.  Are there different intergalactics floating around?!  (Mine was direct from lab via Etsy) 

I’d say maybe the hairspray is just a weird jasmine note, but it’s SO DISTINCT, it’s so unmistakably there and very realistic.  

ok final edit:  NOW IM GETTING THE CANDIED FRUITS just barely emerging.  It smells like a campy vintage illustration of sugar crusted gummies adding another element to the overall musk.   

so:  

It’s just All The Intergalactic Things ? 
- glam rock 

- android girls 

- holodeck food 

- ethereal outer space ness 

Edited by Viiinylflowers