Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Dilution and Carrier Oils

I hope this is the right place for this question. This morning I noticed that the oil in my bottle of Snake Charmer resurrected seems to have separated into a clear top layer and a dark bottom layer. When I roll it it mixes but separates again after a while. Could it be a diluted oil? :huh?:

I'm looking at diluting the two scents I bought recently since they're both a bit too strong on their own. I like the rollerball idea, but when I wear perfumes I usually do the spray-in-the-air-and-walk-through-it method. I know one or two of the posts talked about a spray thread, but there wasn't a link and the search function isn't coming up with anything for me.

Has anyone ever used BPAL in an atomizer? Obviously a carrier oil would be too thick, so what would be a good thing to use instead? A google search just gives results for diluting pure essential oils, not perfume oils.

If this is the wrong place, feel free to banish me :eek:

I'm looking at diluting the two scents I bought recently since they're both a bit too strong on their own. I like the rollerball idea, but when I wear perfumes I usually do the spray-in-the-air-and-walk-through-it method. I know one or two of the posts talked about a spray thread, but there wasn't a link and the search function isn't coming up with anything for me.

Has anyone ever used BPAL in an atomizer? Obviously a carrier oil would be too thick, so what would be a good thing to use instead? A google search just gives results for diluting pure essential oils, not perfume oils.

Hi!00000294.gif There is a thread on atomizers here http://www.bpal.org/...1-parfum-spray/ with lots of helpful info! These threads can be hard to find but nothing to banish over!00000288.gif

Edited by Mel85

Hi!00000294.gif There is a thread on atomizers here http://www.bpal.org/...1-parfum-spray/ with lots of helpful info! These threads can be hard to find but nothing to banish over!00000288.gif

Thank you!

thanks to being premenopausal and having a failing thyroid, I have horrifically dry skin. (if I don't moisturize every day I peel like I've had a mild sunburn....or I shed heavy flakes :cry2:)

One of the things that seems to help best is soaking myself in neutregena's rainbath the second I get out of the shower and not towel drying at all, but letting the oil seal the leftover water in my skin...and I'm not left greasy or damp, my skin soaks up liquids like crazy.....my bpals seldom last for more than a couple hours before needing reapplying. I'm wondering if I were to moisturize the areas where I normally scent with the unscented neutragena maybe 10 minutes before, do you think my oils would last longer? would it muck with the scent?

I'm wondering if I were to moisturize the areas where I normally scent with the unscented neutragena maybe 10 minutes before, do you think my oils would last longer? would it muck with the scent?

I also have thyroid issues and very dry skin. I haven't noticed a big difference when I use a moisturizer before perfume, but I would recommend using an unscented oil instead of an unscented lotion. Usually unscented lotions (that aren't 100% natural) have a chemical in them to suppress the scent of the other ingredients. It can definitely change the scent of your perfume oil. But you can use pure jojoba, almond, grapeseed, or apricot seed oil on the areas you apply perfume, and they will not change the fragrance at all.

You can also apply oil all over after showering to lock in moisture. The oils work a lot better when the skin is damp. I often use BPTP's bath oils this way. The damp skin allows me to apply the oils with a lighter touch, and layering the scented oils with the perfume helps the scent to last all day.

Whataboutprom- Thanks so much for that information. I had no idea that some "unscented" lotions actually contained a scent-suppressing chemical. I have, however, noticed that some of my unscented lotions & face/neck creams seem to kill a scent quickly.

Sidhechaos- Somewhere on this forum Poenari said she prefers to moisturize first with coconut oil. I tried it & it works really well. I buy giant 16oz tubs of organic extra virgin coconut oil. It's solid at room temperature but liquifies very quickly as it warms to body temperature. I transfer enough to fill a ketchup-type squirt bottle & keep it on the floor of the shower. The hot water warms it enough to squirt on my arms at the end of my shower & the coconut scent fades within 10 minutes. I don't find that the scent interferes with any of the perfumes I apply afterwards, but someone who hates the scent of coconuts might. I tried this with the unscented Neutrogena Rainbath oil first, but had much better results with the coconut oil. Haven't tried the jojoba oil yet, but I'd like to.

Whataboutprom- Thanks so much for that information. I had no idea that some "unscented" lotions actually contained a scent-suppressing chemical. I have, however, noticed that some of my unscented lotions & face/neck creams seem to kill a scent quickly.

Sidhechaos- Somewhere on this forum Poenari said she prefers to moisturize first with coconut oil. I tried it & it works really well. I buy giant 16oz tubs of organic extra virgin coconut oil. It's solid at room temperature but liquifies very quickly as it warms to body temperature. I transfer enough to fill a ketchup-type squirt bottle & keep it on the floor of the shower. The hot water warms it enough to squirt on my arms at the end of my shower & the coconut scent fades within 10 minutes. I don't find that the scent interferes with any of the perfumes I apply afterwards, but someone who hates the scent of coconuts might. I tried this with the unscented Neutrogena Rainbath oil first, but had much better results with the coconut oil. Haven't tried the jojoba oil yet, but I'd like to.

arsinoe9 is correct! :D Having initially tried mixing my BPAL into unscented lotions, I definitely prefer using the virgin coconut oil and then applying my perfume. The brand I buy doesn't even have a coconut scent to it, though I love the smell of coconut myself. It stays mostly solid and I keep the jar on the bathroom counter, but I keep a little scoop handy and scoop some into the palm of my hands, and it melts quickly enough to smooth over all my parts.

I am really addicted to the Trading Post's bath oils as after-shower moisturizers, but some of my perfumes don't have a complimentary bath oil, so that's when I use the coconut oil. Another added benefit- the coconut oil seems to have really kept my last two surgical incisions from scarring much. Both are barely visible. One is on the front of my neck from my spinal fusion a year ago, and the other is on the back of my right hand where I broke it and had to have a plate and screws put in. (I am BIONIC- they keep rebuilding me!:lol: ) Once the incisions were healed, I faithfully massaged in the coconut oil (stayed away from perfumes in those areas during the healing process) and not only does it keep my post-menopausal skin moisturized, it really has improved the appearance of my skin overall and really extends the life of my perfumes!

Coconut fragrances of almost any kind tend set off my asthma issues severely. Granted im talking about the incense and air fresheners suntan oil and even sometimes cooking oil have done this, although it's usually artificial scents or enhanced products. I also have severe reactions to desiccated coconut but we do not know if that was the coconut itself were something that might have been added to it.

There have been times in the past where I was able to consume small amount of fresh coconut product (I was unaware of the time or might have avoided) and had no problem, but I am wary of investing in a large jar of probably expensive super refined coconut oil and run the risk of breaking out in a horrible rash or having some other type of problem and the rest being wasted. Do you know if the company you purchase from would be willing to send a sample size for me to try?

Coconut fragrances of almost any kind tend set off my asthma issues.

Oh, dear. I'm sorry to hear that. Probably best to avoid it, then. Completely.

Another added benefit- the coconut oil seems to have really kept my last two surgical incisions from scarring much. Both are barely visible.

Agreed with this! I have a bionic knee that's had two surgeries and I've been using coconut oil most of my life as a moisturizer (my mom used it on my siblings and me when we were babies and kids and the habit stuck into adulthood). You can barely see the scars on my knee, which were UGLY and huge and puckered. I also have a recent enormous second-degree burn scar from the popcorn popper (I work in a movie theater) that's fading incredibly quickly and is nearly the same color as the rest of my arm now. So, highly recommending coconut oil to the dry or accident-prone among us :lol:

I also put a few drops of BPAL in my palmful of coconut oil every morning or evening post-shower. It's one of my favorite ways to be scented! My current jar does have a delicious coconut scent (Kelapo, if anyone's wondering) but it hasn't interfered with any of the scents of the oils. And in fact some smell even better with it mixed in (Banshee Beat in particular is AMAZING).

I use fractionated coconut oil now instead of straight up coconut oil. It doesn't have a coconut scent, and stays liquid even at lower temps. A drop of it on the skin before or after applying the perfume oil allows me to spread and diffuse the oil.

I hope I'm in the right spot for my question...

I don't have a huge collection, and I haven't tried a ton of oils, but a couple of my favorites at 10 am, were definitely not my favorites at 8 am. The initial notes I get (and I wish I could tell you which ones, but again, newbie) are sometimes a little headache-y or sick-inducing. But, like I said, by the time those notes (fade off? dry down?) in an hour or two, I'm back in love and stay in love as long as I can still detect anything. I feel like I don't have the right language, and definitely should go read the skin chemistry threads, but this really is a dilution question because:

How will diluting (or solid-perfume-ing) my oils affect their scent at different stages? I definitely don't want to do anything that prolongs that early scent (on these oils). I'm wanting to dilute to extend the oils (will probably use fractionated coconut oi), or solidify (eyeing the Bramble Berry kits) to make them more portable.

I guess I could also consider that transition phase to be a sign that I should give up on those oils? :think:

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom!