Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Dilution and Carrier Oils

VelvetSky:

This site explains it better than I could:

What are Carrier Oils?

Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. They “carry” the essential oil onto the skin. Different carrier oils offer different properties and the choice of carrier oil can depend on the therapeutic benefit being sought.

Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils.

Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Most oils bought in the grocery store are not cold-pressed. Instead, the oils are heated and therefore have less therapeutic benefit. Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product. It is also said that mineral oil can prevent essential oil absorption into the skin.

Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Carrier oils that you purchase should be natural and unadulterated. Exceptions include buying carrier oils that have natural vitamin E added. Vitamin E acts as a natural preservative.

If an BPAL oil is too strong for you or irritating to your skin, you can mix the fragrance oil with a carrier oil before applying to your skin (either just by dabbing the way you would for perfume, or if you use more carrier oil, as a massage oil). You could mix up a whole bottle or just mix it as you use it bit by bit. Not sure what proportions to use for mixing since I never dilute mine, but you could experiment.

If you think a fragrance is too strong for you, you can dilute some of it in a carrier oil. This will lighten the fragrance a bit. Or, if you get a skin reaction from something like cinnamon or lemongrass, combining the scent with a carrier oil and then applying it to your skin will lessen the chance of a reaction, as you are applying a smaller amount of scent spread out over a larger area.

You can also combine it with a carrier oil of some type to use in your diffuser, to make a bath or massage oil, or you could combine your scent with water to make a room spray. There are many things you can do.

HTH. :P

Massage oil is what I was thinking. I'm having sudden visions of a massage with Bliss... :drool:

I have a question about oils...

if I put a carrier oil with a sent, keeping it in a vial...will it mix? Or will it be like mixing oil in water? If that's the case, does shaking before application work?

Mixing oil and oil shouldn't be a problem. They might separate after a while, but you shouldn't have to shake before each use.

I don't see why mixing an essential oil and a carrier oil in a vial should be a problem , fragrance companies do it all the time...

Mixing a carrier oil and any other oil typically isn't a problem. Yes, as stated, they might "separate", but you just shake-shake-shake the container and they magically meld back together.

You might also want to warm the container between your hands if you find the oils are separating. Usually, if they're warmer, they'll gel back together quickly.

'Least, that's my experience with them. I tend to put funky stuff in my oils, though, herbs and whatnot, so that helps to keep the oils cohesive with the carrier oils.

I have a question...

Which of the carrier oils has the least natural scent??

I'd love to mix some of my BPAL oils with a carrier oil, but I'm afraid of altering the smell. I know that I have some apricot kernel oil, and it definitely has a scent of it's own.

Has anyone tried any of these?

I tend to use grapeseed oil as a carrier if I'm making oils. Some of the others I've tried seem to interact too much with the oils I want to smell, and they smell all different.

I snag my grapeseed at the local health food store. I've never had a problem with it, and it lasts a pretty long time.

Okay .. there are a few of these that I'd like to dilute in something else, to put in a roll-on bottle, so I can more easily reapply through the day, especially with some of the lighter oils, which seem to be eaten up by my skin.

What I need to know is what carrier oils would be best for this purpose? I assume something very light .. I was looking at jojoba oil, and shea oil. Anyone know what's best?

I love shea oil. The one that I got from ASBC is really light, easily absorbed (which might actually help the scent linger), almost no smell. (it might be just me, but I detect the slightest... clean/mint smell, but my nose really had to 'pull' to get it)

It is not viscose (sp?) at all, so I assume that it will not hinder any movement if you decided to use it with a roller ball applicator.

I'm interesting in Jojoba oil as well. But I don't know much about it. It's a wax so it will not spoil easily which is good cus you don't want to waste any of the precious BPAL oils.

I read in jj_j's swap post that apricot kernal oil didn't work.

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=473

The Neutrogena sesame body oil come in a fragrance free and it's so light, I used to dilute my Egyptian Goddess in it and slather it all over after the shower. It worked ever so well. They sell it in huge bottles at Costo for a fairly reasonable price.

Good luck Tania and let us know how you get on!

From what I understand, it wasn't the carrier oil that didn't work...it was just that it somehow clogged up the roller applicators... But it would be nice to see if any of these worked better than the others.

From what I understand, it wasn't the carrier oil that didn't work...it was just that it somehow clogged up the roller applicators...  But it would be nice to see if any of these worked better than the others.

That's it exactly - I now take the tops off the roll-ons I kept and apply just like I would out of the original BPAL bottle.

The apricot kernel oil has been a fabulous carrier because it's scent-free and absorbs right into my skin ... but I've had no luck with ANY carrier oil in a roll-on bottle. BPAL by itself rolls on beautifully, but adding a carrier seems to make it too "heavy" for the roller to spread, for lack of a better scientific explanation. :P

Edited by jj_j

Hope I'm not hijacking here, but I thought this was a related question.

I've just purchased some sweet almond oil without really doing much research, but now I'm reading that it can go rancid fairly quickly.

Has anyone had experience using sweet almond oil as a carrier oil? How long can it usually last without going bad?

Thanks!

Ok my order of imps should be here within the next few weeks I hope. But most oils on me tend to feel really dry and harsh, and I tried using almond oil as a carrier but that was way too slimey and greesey. Ok my skin is picky. And with the almond oil it made my dragons blood smell like old cheap candles (ICK). So are there any suggestions that is the best carrier oil?

I'd suggested something called Fractionated Coconut Oil. It can be purchased here:

http://www.aromathyme.com/carrier.html The cost is $6.50 for 4 oz.

Here is the description...sounds like an ideal carrier oil:

Fractionated Coconut Oil

The great thing about using this carrier oil is it does not stain sheets or clothing. Massage Therapists love this unscented base oil. It has a nice glide, absorbs well, is not sticky. Leaves your skin smooth as silk. Suitable for all skin types, especially dry, mature or sensitive skin.

Never goes rancid. The oil has essentially an infinite shelf life.

Because its consists completely of saturated fatty acid side chains its more like animal fat and absorbs more readily into the skin making it ideal for massage therapy.

Washes out of your sheets very easily with no staining.

An ideal product for natural perfumers who don't want to use alcohol as a carrier. Because its the lightest of all the carrier oils, it will spray through a pump sprayer with ease. This is also makes it handy for massage therapists as they can spray their massage blends using FC right on the customer.

Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth without that greasy feeling.

Cost effective, one of least expensive carrier oils.

Completely soluble with all essential oils and compatible with soaps.

Great for use as a single carrier or in combination with other, more expensive carrier oils to get the cost down and to improve the shelf life of the final product.

Colorless, odorless and Kosher/Food Grade

I am wondering how all of you wear the oils... I read on the site that BPAL perfume oils are 85-100% pure perfume oils, which is much stronger than what is usually available on the market.

Do you slather on straight from the bottle on your pulse points in small amounts, or dilute them first?

Im wondering whether I should be getting a carrier oil of some sort with my first order of imps.

Thanks in advance! :P

I just apply mine neat, but I know some of the others dilute their oils. My skin tends not to be sensitive, other than to Eclipse and Mercury!!

I slather straight, too! :P For some reason, that sounds odd. :D

I usually put a bit of lotion/balm on my pulse points first, though, so that my skin doesn't soak up the scent as fast.