Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
cbiskit

The Estee Lauder similarities thread

OK so...I admit, my favorite perfume for a long while has been Beyond Paradise by Estee Lauder. I know, it's commercial and all that but there is just something about the lightness that I love!

I have been trying to find some similarities by searching for similar notes but so far no luck. I've tried some "tropical" scents, including Macchu Picchu and Pele and I LOVE them...but in a really different way.

Here are the notes as listed:

Top Notes: Eden's Mist, Blue Hyacinth, Orange Flower Templar, Jabuticaba Fruit

Middle Notes: Laelia Orchid, Crepe Jasmin, Mahonia Japonica, Pink Honeysuckle

Base Notes: Natal Plum Blossoms, Ambrette Seed, Zebrano Wood, Golden Melaleuca Bark

So, do any of you wise ones have any suggestions as to what I might try? I've only been "into" BPAL for about 2 months now - and so far my favorites are Snow White, The Ghost and Katharina. I really have some issues with Sandalwood. I am wearing Belle Epoque now that is not making me sneeze, so white or red sandalwood might be wearable.

Thanks in advance :P

Edited by chrissy

I've never smelled Beyond Paradise, so this is just a shot in the dark based on the notes....but have you tried Black Moon (Beth's)? The notes are "motia attar, black orchid, mugwort, English pear, cucumber, blue lotus, jonquil, massoia, calamus and crystal musk." Its clearly not the same, but motia attar is a jasmine scent, and that with all the other exotic flowers and fruits might be up the right alley. Its a very sweet and feminine spring floral on me (usually jasmine is horrid on my skin chem, but this one is beautiful).

That's one of my sister's faves.

When she was up in August (she lives several states away, alas) I brought out the BPAL.

She liked Phantom Queen, Amsterdam, and...hm. Something else. Peony Moon?

Anyway. None of these share notes, but she said they had the same feel to her. FWIW.

I'll admit it; I'm a Beyond Paradise junkie too. I only have the teensiest sample bottle (it's actually quite adorable), so I ration it heavily, and when I find myself craving it but aren't willing to actually use it, I reach for Black Pearl. The notes are totally different but it's got a really similar feel to it---the lush tropical blooms and sort of deep background notes. It's a fantastic blend.

(And no, not just because it gives me an excuse to walk around talking like a pirate when I wear it. :P)

I like Beyond Paradise too, though I've not worn it for quite a while. Checking back through my perfume notes, I've written that Kali reminds me of BP and trying them both on again now, hmmmm, yes they are still similar on me! BP is a little more rounded and lush. Definitely give Kali a whirl!

I didn't see another post on this, so if I missed it, I'm so sorry.

I just tried Estee Lauder's new "Beautiful Love", and I adore the scent. However, after a year of BPALing, I don't adore all the list of chemicals and alcohols I can't pronounce. To me, it's a very feminine floral - which I didn't really expect.

Top Notes: Pomelo zest, Cantaloupe, Mango, Magnolia, Marigold

Middle Notes: Tiare, Tuberose Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Jasmine Sambac, Rose, Osmanthus, Carnation, Black Violet

Base Notes: White Orris, Vetiver, Heliotrope, Tonka Bean, Whipped Cream, Sandalwood, White Moss, Patchouli

The notes I notice the most are the magnolia (wow!) and then a touch of the mango.

When I searched for magnolia scents, the one that looked like the best match was La Belle Au Bois Dormant (because of the rose, tuberose, and magnolia) - but when I tried that one, it was straight pear on me.

So, any suggestions?

You may have to layer, but this seems like it might do:

Kuang Shi

Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

with

Delight

Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

Also,

Muse

Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime. That pomelo note in the list you provided is a kind of citrus that is closer (to my nose) to lime than to orange.

N.

I think Beyond Paradise is what I keep thinking of when I wear Vasakasajja. I like Beyond Paradise a lot for a commercial perfume, even though I'm not usually so floral. Vasakasajja is even better and I am absolutely in love with it. It's an LE and it's only available this year for a few more days. You can bet I'll be snatching up a bottle.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone had any more smell alikes for Beyond Paradise! It's been my scent for five years now and as a newbie here I'd love to find similar BPAL scents so I can start experimenting to find my favourite notes. I've noted down all the suggestions above and will look into them. :)

I haven't sniffed Bronze Goddess myself, but I am almost certain I recall someone (maybe Invidiana??) comparing Paduan Killer Swarm to Bronze Goddess. Maybe she'll speak up here :)

Sign in to follow this