Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

In the imp: sweet flowers and herbs

Wet: soft sweet flowers and herbs

Drydown: Pretty much the same, but it's got a watery feel (or smell rather!) to it. It's gentle and soft, almost innocent. Ethereal.

Dry: The herbs have gone but otherwise it hasn't changed at all. This is breathtakingly beautiful, but it's not me. I am anything but ethereal or innocent. This is the type of scent which makes me wish I liked florals more than I do.

Edited by Trishek

I don't really catch ay herbs..but that's fine by me! At first this was all linden blossoms which was nice but a bit too much like laundry for me, but then the white flowers started to come out and make this beautiful and wearable! It is a little too young and innocent for me to wear very often but the scent is so pretty that I'm going to save the imp for special occasions...plus it seems like such a perfect summer scent.

on me it goes from a pretty clean soapy smell to a stronger more perfumey soapy smell to nothing in a very short period of time (which is saying a lot from me, as most perfumes are eaten by my skin within an hour or so, if I am lucky). I think my niece will like it, though.

I liked thinking about The Last Unicorn, though:)

First sniff: I don't know. I really don't know. I've sniffed and sniffed, and I just couldn't tell you what I am smelling. White. If white had a fragrance white would smell like this.

On the SKin: Fresh & clean and soft. Feminine and floral. I still couldn't tell you what I am smelling, though. Just. White. I suppose it's the blossoms.

Much Later: It's sweetened up a bit and almost smells like sugar icing. Very faint though, faded quickly.

Overall opinion: It smells really nice but it doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power. I think I will have to drown myself in it to feel like I can smell it. I like it, though. A lot! It's really sweet and fresh for a summer day.

It's... white. =) Sorry I can't be more descriptive with this one. It's not bad by any means.

The Unicorn

almost translucent yellow oil

Imp: The image I got was rubber dipped in astringent. It has a synthetic feel to it.

Skin: Its starts of with a airy, soapy, soda-like smell. Like you've just opened a can of Sprite. Very refreshing!..for the first two minutes.

Afterthat, it warms up and becomes sweeter. The airy feel goes away, and its Soda-soap with flowers. Its mild, only faintly powdery, and has a surprisingly warm feel.

I didn't get a herbly impression but I guess its in there, because this doesn't smell like a white flower bouquet at all.

In the end the soapiness fades, and I smell pleasantly light, sweet and warm but can't pick out any obvious flowers.

I wouldn't know if this is girly or feminine. It isn't manly either.

More like a little child thats just seen a fairy.

I was extremely excited about the Unicorn, and everything I'd heard and read was completely true. It's absolutely a 'pearly' scent, very clean and ethereal.

In the imp: A blast of very sweet, warm Sprite with sweet herbs.

Wet: The Sprite scent jumps out and it seems like the herbs take center stage for a moment or two before the floral begins to come out.

Dry: A beautiful, heart-wrenchingly innocent and ethereal and NATURAL scent. It went a little creamier and more powdery, but the sent stayed true. However, it faded much too quickly and I had to keep reapplying to get it to stay put.

This scent was so fun to me because it wasn't artificial at all, the herbs - the linden flowers.. it all seemed so natural and went together so beautifully. I would like to invest in a large bottle, but something about my chemistry makes it fade super fast on my skin... I'd probably have to reorder as soon as I was out! However, this is absolutely beautiful and definitely lives up to its hype.

In the imp: Impossibly sweet, without being sticky. So light and airy, I'm sure it will melt off my skin in seconds.

Wet: Something refreshing and crisp comes through, at first with an edge of flowers, but then it starts smelling a bit like green apples. (Maybe an effect of the herbs?)

Dry down: The apple flavor melts away, and flowers come to the front. I don't know what linden smells like, but this reminds me of the lily of the valley I used to play in as a child.

The throw is very short, only a few inches off my wrist. It fades more quickly than some things, but four hours later, I can still smell it. I love how soft and delicate this scent is, and that such a scent doesn't immediately disappear on me. I knew I would keep the imp, just as a pick-me-up to be sniffed out of the tiny bottle, but I actually might go for a big bottle of this some day, now that I know I can wear it.

Imp: Perfume. Of the mixed department store fumes kind.

Wet: Oooh...citrus?

Drydown: Faintly green, still with that oddly citrus edge, and some herby-flower. Slightly chilly.

Dry: And....it's all but gone.

Lovely scent, but zero staying power. Huh. My rating: 4/5.

Bottle-It sounds stupid, but this smells....delicate. I can smell the linden, and there is definitely something herby happening here.

Wet-Crushed herbs. Something almost lemony here, but not in a Lemon Pledge way like Black Cat. More like freshly peeled lemon rind. Fresh. Dainty.

Drydown--Clean, bright herbs. Normally "bright" for me signals bad, but its just. Fresh and pretty. I keep using words like delicate and dainty. Maybe because it is all about unicorns?

In the bottle it comes off as a strong floral, with a just a hint of herbs. On me, it smells like a very strong delicate floral for the first few minutes, but dries down to a generic perfume-y smell. Nice, but nothing extraordinary.

Uber-yummy, hello!

At first, this smelled TOO floral on me - I was a bit disappointed because I've loved every other scent I've tried from Mad Tea Party. I moved on to testing other fragrances and then it was back to sniffing this one.. and wow. Wow wow wow. I've never had a fragrance transform so wonderfully on me before.

It's perfect. It's sweet and relaxing and magical. Everything magpiedee says is dead on. LOVE THIS ONE!

This is a sweet, light, silvery blend. It trots along with the soft flowers and crushes the herbs underfoot. Pretty much the same for me from bottle to drydown, and it's a very relaxing yet not "simple" scent.

Really enjoying this one, will keep the imp for sure. Perfect scent for a hot summer night.

Initial impression:

A really soft and gentle breeze of something like apple blossoms.

First on:

As predicted, my skin tries to greenify this, but stops half-way, thankfully. Instead, it nearly eats the scent alltogether!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it mainly smells like cucumber and soap on me. :D

20-30 mins after application, there's very little throw, but it's a pleasant soft floral.

Finally:

Nice, but not for me. No staying power on my skin either. Swapping. :P

Upon applying this, I smell very sweet flowers with a light touch of herbs. It’s a very light and delicate scent, but very pretty.

This got even sweeter as I wore it, but it lightened up as well. Not in a “omg, it faded” sort of way, but it’s gotten more airy and ethereal. I would describe it as the scent of white flowers brought on a warm wind… it’s a very pretty feminine scent without being perfume-y.

In the imp: Crisp, sparkling, a little tart.

Wet on me: Sweet like vanilla and bubbly like soda. Fun! Very light though.

After a few minutes: Fizzy, crystalline, a little bit lemony - I'm sorry these descriptions are so vague, but it's *really* hard to describe what I'm smelling. It's warmer than I expected, I can say that much. It doesn't smell like vanilla to me anymore.

Drydown:*sigh* I give up. The closest I can get to describing this is to say that it smells like the lightest lemon sherbet imaginable. With some creamy white flowers.

My nose is flummoxed by The Unicorn, but I will wear this again...

I can't believe I never reviewed this. Must amend that!

In the bottle, it's almost aquatic and hardly floral at all, which is not what I remember from the last time I wore this.

Wet on my skin, the linden flower shows up, all wispy and cool and clean-smelling. But this reminds me of the time I wore this when my Grandmother went to the hospital, so I think that scent memory might be too strong to let me enjoy the pretty scent of this anymore. :P

The Unicorn transports me back to my childhood: innocence, imagination, the hope of magic. The scent evokes images of a white unicorn in a forest, the light filtering down through the trees, and small fluffs of cotton and seeds floating through the air as they fall from the trees.

I smell mostly linden, a white and fresh scent, a touch of aquatic but only in the sweetest and lightest sense, and a very bare hint of citrus. This is very feminine, soft, innocent.

Edited by alicia_stardust

BPAL newbie here, and Unicorn was the second "gotta try this NOW" scent I got in my first order of imps. I love linden (and it's so hard to find) that I was really excited to find this one. And the scent was everything I hoped for and more: fresh and light and cool green... for about 20 minutes. Even slathering it on, it faded completely within half an hour.

So I think this is going to fall into the "love it, but won't buy it" category because I'd go through it way too fast. And I could easily see myself wanting to wear it all the time.

In the imp: “generic” floral (can’t pick out individual notes).

Wet: cool, light floral. Linden mostly.

Dry: Linden coming to the fore and a baby powder note fighting to come out. No herbs, no berries, alas.

Love the concept, the scent is kind of blah on me. Pity.

Well get this if you love Linden, since that's mostly what i smell. Actually is smells kind of like fresh clean laundry would smell like if you let it dry in a field of herbs and wildflowers. Very clean and fresh floral with a touch of herbs similar to those in Ides of March.

imp: mmmmm... i smell linden! i love linden in soaps and detergents, let's see how it does on my skin.

wet: linden and herbs. still a very fresh laundry scent. very clean.

dry: yay! sweet linden. no herbiness left at all and i'm all happy feeling fresh and clean and warm. i think this blend was quite aptly named.

I love The Unicorn. I don't really know why, but I do. I've got a bottle of it. The herbs fade a little on the drydown. It's not sweet at all. Floral, really clean, ethereal. Slightly soapy, but it's the type of soap I'd like to smell like. My friends and relatives don't really get all the fuss I make about it. But that's ok, because The Unicorn is all mine.

Edited by AmandaKay

This is a very soapy scent, on me it is just linden flowers with a faint hint of herbal sweetness. It kind of reminds me of a watery version of Singing Moon.

Then, it's gone. Byebye! :P

It's not exactly mind-blowing as a perfume, but as an interpretation of a Unicorn, it's very appropriate!

I liked thinking about The Last Unicorn, though:)

Props to The Last Unicorn, that's the only reason I wanted this imp in the first place!! :D

ETA: I put a bit more on today, and it's got a hint of fruitiness and softness to it, almost a white musk note. It's aquatic but soft as a cashmere sweater. I like it, and although it won't get regular lurve, I won't swap it 'cause it's the Unicorn. It's subtle and soft and pretty, and again, I have to say that it perfectly captures the ethereal Unicorn in liquid form. Bravo to the artist, Beth!!

3.6 out of 5

Edited by AEris

In the Imp (wet): White. All white bright and sweet and refreshing.

On facial cotton (dry): The sweetness is light and floral. Not as bright as in the imp, but still refreshing.

On me: I amp the herbs, which I don't mind at all. My skin chemistry doesn't make the scent as bright. On the drydown, it smells a little soapy on me. Might need to test for longer staying power.