Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

very white scent. Juicy and sweet, but sort of tart at the same time. I'm not sure what I'm smelling really, but some sort of sweet white flower with what feels like citrus but I guess is the herbs. A very clean fresh scent, but too sweet for me!

I have no idea why I love this scent, but I do. It doesn't really smell like anything else I've tried...but it is unique in the way that Dublin is unique -- something completely fresh, and crisp, pure and refreshing, a sort of round sparkling sweetness. A cold stream in a misty morning in early spring with the last snow still melting in the shade. Florals do not like me, but Unicorn does, because it is not overtly floral. It is more reminiscent of air and water...with flowers nearby. I think of opalescent bubbles hanging in the air and then bursting. The "sweet herbs" must be lending a slightly fruity or citric sweetness...maybe there's some bergamot? I'm not sure. But I like it. A lot. It's somewhere between Szepasszony and Dublin as far as being crisp and clear and slightly aquatic, but also lush, misty and blooming. A definite bottle of this.

Surprisingly tenacious scent that cries out for a hot summery day to showcase its best features. I get the strong impression of ice lollies - a watery kind of sweetness.

Very pleasant and charming however not the type of fragrance I'd habitually wear. However would find quite attractive on someone who loved wearing it.

On the wrist it has a very high "Sniff Me " factor :P

Bah. :P

For some reason, The Unicorn smelled like Loreal Curl Spray- but minus the icky "hairspray" note on me. I liked it a lot when I first put it on, but after a few minutes I thought it smelled familiar. I sniffed and sniffed and then it hit me.

Not unpleasant, but I just kept feeling as though I'd just hairsprayed my arms. Off to the swap box.

Oh, my.

I wasn't at all sure about this one, because in the vial I smelled something very reminiscent of bad breath. Since I've learned that I can't judge a scent at all by how it seems in the bottle, I put it on anyway... and I'm so glad I did.

It started off smelling very wet and fresh and grassy. It reminded me a lot of Neo-Tokyo at first, but then the grass and herbs jumped out, with something vaguely musky underneath.

As it dried, it settled into a beautiful, slightly sweet, very clean scent, with just a hint of something very, very feral and almost ghostlike. It smells like moonlight on a slightly cool spring evening.

This is a keeper. So, so pretty. I can't wait for it to get warmer here so I can wear it with a camisole and a fluttery skirt.

In bottle: Sweet and white. It truly is the scent of a unicorn! It is almost aquatic, too. It is as if a unicorn is standing in a pool of water, with a light tinkling waterfall behind it. There is thick rich moss on the rocks in the pool and green plants everywhere. In the middle of this gorgeous place is the unicorn, sweet and pure, flowers blossoming beneath its hooves as it walks out of the pool..

On me: Honestly, it is just more of the same. Notes? I haven't a clue. But it is gorgeous and white and full of old-innocence; not the innocence of a child but the one of an elder that still has faith in the goodness of the world.

This was a freebie from the lab in my recent order. The lab is really good about throwing in scents with notes I like and The Unicorn's description is filled with notes I like. However....

in the bottle : pretty! Sweet and light and florally - but there is something in the undertone that is a little bitter and unsavvy. Hmm...

on skin : well the bitter disappears on my skin and I'm left with all the sweets and florals. Which is nice, but there is also a tart smell going on that isn't to my liking. It smells almost like candy thats fermented in the hot car. It reminds me of my preschool class - all sticky fingers and cheeks.

While its nice, its not really a keeper. To the swap pile. :P

Edited by Jessica

sparkly yes sparkly

it is floral? is that linden blossoms? if so yummy! but there is citrus...grapefruit? i think it is grapefruit and the linden man this is nice! light summery running thru a feild of wildflowers.

I have to agree this is summer. It's a clean floral to my nose. I don't know what a linden blossom smells like, but if it smells like white blossoms over freshy sun dried laundry, that is what this smells like. It smooths out into a wispy, barely there beauty.

This is amazing, a definite keeper! :P

Oh.... beautiful! In the vial I wasn't sure - I think it was the slight strawberryish scent (I don't like strawberries), but once on this was just gorgeous. I was a little apprehensive about the herbs as the herbal scents I've tried recently haven't worked and I don't normally go for florals but this is a fantastic, cold water and white floral and apple scented oil. I suspect it won't last long on me but even so, definitely one for the big bottles list!

Sorry, folks, this isn't going to be a glowing review of The Unicorn.

I found my imp of The Unicorn to be rather grossly sweet and too childlike for my tastes. It smells medicinal and, yet, oddly familiar. Like something I ate or some sort of obscenely flavoured lip balm. Gah!

Okay, it's not a bad scent, but it just wasn't suited to me or my tastes. I think actually if I had a little five or six year old girl, this would be a fantastic scent to let her play with (diluted, of course). It's soft and evokes a sort of childish giggle from its very sniff.

I don't giggle. I emit sinister laughter.

-doreen

in the bottle- water? a very light floral tea?

wet- linden flowers. spicy yet sweet.

dry- i smell like a meadow a buncha horses were just rolling in. bleargh.

The Unicorn on me is like sparkling white grape juice and freesia. I’m sure that if I’d ever smelled a linden blossom I would recognize it in this blend, but for me the nearest corollary was freesia.

As others have said, this is an innocent blend. It is very pure and light. It definitely captures the essence of a unicorn quite nicely, and I think it would be really nice in the summer. But in general I prefer my blends a little bit darker or more incense-y. I’m saving my imp for a day when I feel like revealing a little more vulnerability than I’m normally willing to cop to.

In the bottle: Nosferatu's spring sister. Herbal with white grapes and linden.

First on: White grapes and herbs with a shot of something ozone/aquatic.

After a bit: My skin eats this and it almost disappears

Awhile after that: There it is again, now it's smelling exactly like the sweet herbal note in Nosferatu that I loved. It's very faint though. This might be best as a locket scent for me.

ADDED April 20, 2006:

Received as a frimp from the lab with my last order, just got around to testing all the frimps today. (yes I know, slap me, what was I thinking?)

In the bottle: Wet, crisp with sweet herbs. Like the softer side of Nosferatu.

First on: Very herbal, softly sweet and clean.

After a bit: *sniff sniff* Where oh where did you go? I get the faintest hint of what was but my skin has devoured it whole.

I really liked this one, too bad my skin likes it more and eats all but the fairest hint. Guess this will be going in my swaps unless I can get my hair to like it.

Since today is a light spring day with a hint of chill in the air and sunlight, and that's what I got out of the bottle of this, I decided that today was the perfect day to test out The Unicorn.

As the movie quote goes, I chose wisely.

In the bottle, I get herbs and a hint of mint with a nice tracery of florals through it. Very sweet and cool.

For the first few seconds that it's on my skin, all I get are those florals going 'we're here, we're here, smell us, love us' but then they die down as it dries.

After drydown, what I get is this glorious sweet and cold herbal with a hint of jasmine, linden like the lingering scent of sunshine around you at night when you sleep with those first sunlight-dried sheets of spring and this light aquatic note. It's calming and soothing without being distracting or something that's going to put me to sleep.

I could easily see this turning into one of my favorites for general wear. It's strong enough that I can smell it, but not so overwhelming that it's going to knock people on their bottoms when I walk by, and it has an airy and innocent quality that I think would suit well for an elementary teacher. A larger bottle is going onto my 'when I have money for bottles other than LEs' list and I'm definitely going to look for another imp, as the one I have is only a partial bottle. Lovely, lovely scent. (Of course, I LOVE herbals and mints, soooo ...) :P

Well, this is what I get for ordering something without reading the reviews ... had I seen how many people picked up a fruity vibe to this, despite a description of white floral and herbs, I never would have ordered it ... and I have no idea what it smells like ON me because as soon as I sniffed the imp I immediately recapped it and moved it very far away from me ...

Just flat out fruity rancid yuck. Maybe plum? That is one of the only notes that has that garners the Mr. Yuck-face reaction from me ...

:P

This blend is light and floral on me…and almost aquatic. It gives a strong blue-green impression. I am reminded of tree blossoms. This is the first "white floral" blend I have tried that did not get amplified beyond bearing by my skin chemistry. It fades rather quickly as it dries down, but does not change much. It would be a lovely scent for a summer bath.

My lovely swap faery sent me an imp of this, and I am so so glad. In the bottle it's tart and herby white florals. Very gentle and summery. A few minutes after I put it on I sniffed my wrist and was astonished. It smells almost exactly like this white clover and linden lotion that I was given a gift of a few years ago and could never find again. I LOVE this. It's soft and fresh and has surprisingly good staying power on me. It's my perfect innocent girly fragrance. I will definitely need a big bottle of this.

Argh!!! Why does my skin have to eat this scent??? It fades so quickly! It's HEART BREAKING to me because I've looked forward to this scent since I saw it. I love unicorns. Have always loved them my entire life.... deeply, spiritually.... and I smelled this scent out of the imp and it was completely 'me'. No words could describe me better than this smell.

In the imp.

When I put it on my skin it totally zapped it.... ate it all. all the lovely notes gone! totally tragic!

SIGH :P

This was the first BPAL oil I have tried.....and I really like it! I have looked through the reviews, so I am going to give this a go.

IN BOTTLE: I smell the astringent qualities that others have, but I also smell something that smells slightly spicy....kind of like a nutmeg. Not as heavy as clove, but there is a definate spicyness to it

WET, ON SKIN: Okay, the spice is still there and the sharp bite has escalated, but there is a sweetness starting to peek it's head out.

30 min DRYDOWN: Oh no! Thought I liked this one, but for some reason it's starting to smell like an old lady's parlor. I will try it again another day. Maybe it's my mood!

In Bottle: Herbal floral.

On Skin: The herbs give a sweet minty note. The blossoms and white flowers give a beautiful bright floral note. Oddly, this reminds me of the Glade Plugin scent “Butterfly Garden”. Very pretty and springlike but a bit too floral for my tastes. And this is feminine without a doubt, I can’t even begin to imagine this on a man.

Darn, this one is all juicy berries on me with wispy herbs trying to come out :D I bought this one just KNOWING I'd love it. Well, it smells great in the bottle but does not like me :D It has the same odd fruit I smell in wolf moon. :P 5 ml anyone?

Bugger. I really wanted to like this simply because hey, Unicorns!

I won't copy the official description again but, here's my review.

Origin: Purchased on LJ, is a labeled decant.

In the Imp: Something very refreshing hits my nose, a little minty or perhaps juniperish at first, with white flowers underlying.

So far so good.

Wet: Pretty much just the same as above with the white flowers coming through a bit more. I do get a picture of a misty meadow in my mind with maybe a waterfall at one end and a stream running through it. Just the sort of place that Unicorns might live. *g*

Drydown: There's something very familiar about this scent that makes me think of haircare products for some reason. It's a very pleasant fragrance, maybe a little childish but still lovely but I can't get that familiar - haircare thing out of my head. *thud*

This one goes back in the swap pile for me. *sigh*

In the bottle: Light, sweet and juicy.

Wet:Fruity and fun. Reminds me of summer.

Dry (10 minutes):This fades really fast into a nice light, fruity/floral. I really like it, it's a nice summer scent. I'd like a big bottle of this, but considering how quickly it fades, I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I'm definitely keeping this imp though.

Edited by Krista

A truly ethereal scent; wispy, airy, light green/yellow. I love it, I can really imagine standing in an enchanted forest smelling this scent while watching a unicorn pass through the clearing. It's a truly magickal blend, lightly floral with an exquisite hint of perfuminess. An elusive, "think about it" smell for me. Perfectly embodies the idea of the Unicorn. :P