Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

Florally citrus in the imp. I know others don't get this, but I think it's kinda sugary. Light and sweet. Pretty yummy but no throw.

In the imp: crisp white flowers. Not super strong.

On me, wet: this warms up on me nicely. I smell a few different types of flowers. There's also an undertone of... honey? in here? That must be the sweet herbs.

On me, dry: nice, light floral. It's not rose-y or lily-y, which is a nice change from a lot of floral blends. Not entirely sure what i smell in here other than linden blossoms, but there's something that smells a lot like the peony in Earth Rat, so maybe there're peonies in the mix somewhere. Anyway. Very nice and not entirely typical floral blend. Also, i really like the sweet aftersmell.

Throw and duration: not a whole lot of throw, but Unicorn lasted at least 6 hours on me, so i'm pleased with the duration.

Overall: really pleasant smell. I think it'd be really well suited to spring or summer, and maybe a little out of place in colder months. I'm definitely keeping my imp.

I liked this - smelt of citrus in the container, but warmed up on my skin and became more floral. Didn't last very long, though admittedly I was only trying a tiny amount from an imp.

I really wanted to like this and it kind of broke my heart when it didnt work out for me.

Form: imp.

In imp: almost lemon-ey.

On wrist: It smells kind of like citrus/lemon cleaner. whyyy!? No floral, just cleaner :P

Rating: 2/5

WOW! This is a keeper! I was swapped a sniffie of this and I am in love!

In the imp this smells sweet an herbal with hints of pale flowers.

On my skin, this smells light and wafty of dried flowers and herbs and clean, crisp air. It doesn't have a great throw or staying power, but I keep getting heavenly breezes of flowers and herbs and spring weather.

I will be looking for a big bottle of this scent, mmm! So light and clean, this would be perfect for everyday wear!

5/5

In the bottle: Fresh, herbal, white floral.

Wet: Very floral, less herbal. I can smell the linden quite strongly. Faintly sweet, but not too much thankfully. I could do with a dash of something sharp (ginger, citrus) and something lightly woody, but otherwise, yum. Very classic and feminine.

Dry: The floral just keeps on amping! The sweetness is fading further, which I like, but some of the linden is going with it. :\ Amazingly strong throw.

Summary: I really like this (I'd *love* it if the linden stuck around), but I think it may have given me a headache. I'll retry, but I doubt it will be a bottle buy.

This is one of the greatest scents, its light and flowery without being overpowering or too sweet and cloying. It beautiful and bright and clean. It reminds me of Lady Almalthea from the Last Unicorn. I want to sit and huff this bottle all day, it's an instant pick-me-up.

Unfortunately it doesn't last very long, I keep the imp in my pocket when I wear it so that I can reapply when I need to.

Imp: Light, crisp florals. Very pretty, smells kind of like what I wanted Maiden to smell like.

Wet: The white florals amp up on me for a bit and I can smell a crush of herbs in the background.

Dry: This is nice and tangy on me, especially for a white flower blend. I mostly just get a general white flower scent, but it's nice and clean and a very pretty, soft scent.

Throw: Considering that I was expecting my skin to just swallow this whole, I'm mighty impressed by the soft throw and moderate duration.

Overall: A summer imp or something I can decant into the tub. Quite lovely, but just not my every day taste.

The Unicorn, such a magical scent. When I wear this I feel like I have been transformed to a world where My Little Ponies and butterflies are frolicking and prancing around. Girly, soft, with a touch of air and herbs. I adore the smell of linden blossoms and combined with sweet herbs and white flowers, it really pulls together for a beautiful spring/summer scent.

I was afraid it wouldn't last very long, but with my skin it lasts a better part of the day.

I was really crazy about L'effleur perfume from the drug store when I was in high school. I had the spray bottles, the powder...and that's what this smells like, floral perfumed powder. I kind of like it, although it's not really my thing anymore.

Another lovely scent in the imp that turns to really flat, strong powder on me. *sigh*

*Edit -- I'm not sure what happened, but this doesn't turn to powder anymore. It's green and fresh and yummy.

Edited by Noir

Lovely in the imp-soft white florals with a touch of herbs. Very light and pretty.

Hmm...one of the floral notes goes a bit sour on my skin. It's not terrible, but it makes the blend not as pretty on my skin as it was in the imp. Or maybe that's the herbs...hmm...I am going to give this some time to mellow and dry.

This was very nice. Not my favorite or the bestest bpal ever, but it is just a nice, misty, light floral with a hint of herbs that make it more interesting and complex than your typical perfume. This will go on my wishlist. I am not going to run out and buy a bottle now, but I will need to make sure to acquire one at some point.

Imp: a sweet floral scent. So delicately feminine.

Wet: ooh, lovely… I'm guessing that's the linden blossoms I am smelling. There's something, I don't know, cool and fresh about this scent, like freshly laundered sheets; and that makes me think it's sort of a distant, floral cousin to Dirty.

Dry: sweeter minutes after the first application, but not cloyingly so.

Overall: Good scent! Something for the weekend, for when I want to feel feminine, or both.

Bottle: It doesn't exactly smell *like* honeysuckle, but it reminds me of it. Sweet.

Wet: Something yellow, very light kind of laundry/flowery smell.

Dry: Clean and citrus, without the lemon pledge scent I got from dormouse. Clean linen without screaming dryer sheets. This isn't the Looking Glass unicorn as much as it's the Legend unicorn, standing in the stream in the middle of the woods. Very very light.

I love this one. This is my perfume for feeling feminine or light or wearing a lot of white, that kind of thing.

5/5

Edited by gnl

Wet in imp: Smells a bit like spicy baby power. I get the linden blossoms and then baby power.

Wet on skin: I get more of the white flowers, but still baby powder.

Dry on skin: I think this is still a little “sweet” for me with the baby power scent. After some time it fades a little to more white floral, but for me it's a pass.

I LOVE this and am really tempted to get a bottle even though it's very feminine. It just seems that the Mad Tea Party blends can do no wrong, they are all so far among some of the nicest GC's I have tried. And The Unicorn is no excepetion!!!

It's a very fresh fruity floral at first which smells like you've just come out of the shower, it's very very nice. I have no idea what the flowers are..Linden Blossoms I suppose..

It calms down after that quite quickly on my skin, and it turns much more sweet and fruity. It smells like there's alot of fruit in here even though none is mentioned in the description. I think I can detect strawberry but not sure.

This is sweet in the same way The Fairy Market is sweet. It's innocent and light and extremely pleasant. It does morph very quickly on me from the floral to the fruit but that's ok with me.

I think I'm definatley going to have to get a bottle! Such a beautiful blend.

ETA: The last bit of my imp I let dry right down alot. It resembled The Fairy Market a hell of a lot!! YUM!

Edited by ouch!

In some ways, The Unicorn makes me think of moonlight. It's such a soft blend, both in terms of "feel" and throw that I had to actively search it out on my wrist, and it was gone in a short time. This blend has the distinction of being the only oil that makes me think "night" without moonflower, which amps on me. Wearing The Unicorn is like having a pale, luminous, gentle shaft of moonlight on your skin that disappears with the moon. And actually, it's much in line with how I imagine unicorns.

The reviews of this (as luminous and sparkling) intrigued me enough to pick up an imp.

In vial: Faint, pale, and sweet.

On me: As soon as goes on, the scent opens up. It's slightly herbal and slightly astringent (the astringency fades a bit in time), but the bulk of the scent is a pale, white/yellow floral sweetness. It's almost colorless. It fades quickly.

Verdict: The Unicorn reminds me of Antique Lace, only it's softer and yellower, and it lacks AL's cloying vanilla. It's sweet, light, and pale, but unfortunately I don't get the sparkling or luminosity that I was hoping for—so the scent is pleasant, but it doesn't quite grab me. I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed. I'll probably pass this one along.

Another Mad Tea Party scent that loves me. I'm so pleased with the luck I've had with this line.

It's definitely a sweet, light scent, with not much throw, but I like it. It's simple -- baby powder with some herbs -- but not unpleasant. I think I'd maybe layer this on top of something to mellow it out.

First on this is a lovely soft floral, white without the undertone of soap that many white florals have. As it dried, I kept waiting for the soap to come out - but fortunately it never did. Unfortunately, this fades very quickly on me. Something to try if you're interested in florals but not into rosey or heady scents.

Softly glowing, gentle, calm, sweet innocence that fades quickly to a mere wisp (much like real innocence).

No way to describe this one other than as perfect beauty & grace. Genuinely amazing.

I just wish it lasted longer. It faded to nothing within minutes.

4.5/5; -.5 because it needs a scent locket. :)

I bought this to give it a sniff for a friend who says she is looking for the smell of a florist's cooler--"cold flowers" she says--and, normally not being a fan of florals, figured I'd have to man (woman?) up long enough to give it an objective assessment. It has since become my second-most favourite in this lot of samples (my first, by the way!) and I love it so much I haven't sent it to her yet. I may keep it.

It is a "cool" scent, but whatever is making it feel cool gets swallowed up by the flowers pretty rapidly on me. It's probably the herbal notes listed in the description, but it's the first time I have ever smelled a floral that smells like real flowers, with stems and leaves and roots. It smells like burying your face in a bouquet of lilies, right down into the leaves. It's a powerful "flower" smell--so much that no one I've forced it on yet has been able to name a specific type of blossom, let alone linden. It's like the essence of flower (and plant) sifted down to its core components and poured into a bottle. I get the baaarest fruit note under it all, not an obnoxious fruit, but something subtle. Again, I can't even name a specific fruit. It's just "fruit."

Unfortunately it's incredibly faint on me, with almost zero throw, and it fades quickly--appropriately, I guess, given its name, but tragically. It's pretty, but it's just too fleeting.

This doesn't work for me.

I'm not very good at describing the notes wet, I would say it was a mixture of the listed scents.

However when dry, I get a smoky incensy scent, unlike that of Athens, this is a bright smoky scent.

Oh, very pretty!

I picked up zero aquatics, which is great, because me and aquatics, yeah, not so much.

I'm also not best buds with flowery florals but this, while distinctly recalling flowers, is fresh and sweet without being girly or perfumy. It's very light, springy, gauzy. Definitely cool without being sharp or crisp, more like a breeze.

This would be great for anyone who wants a very light, fresh fragrance for summer. Me, my fallback is Eos for that, but I might have to consider a bottle of The Unicorn for lukewarm soaking baths on those hottest days.

In the vial: Ethereal, very linden-y but with a more substantial yet still very sweet different scent in the background.

Wet: The ethereal sweetness dissipates immediately, leaving behind something more meadowish, almost soapy. It smells clean and fresh with a breath of floral.

Twenty minutes: Very linden-sweet, but kind of high up in the headachy register. So I like the scent, but not the way it's affecting me.

Three hours: a great deal warmer now, like meadow grasses or maybe clover. The linden note didn't outlast a bout of dishwashing, so I guess it's a bit delicate.