Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spaceprostitute

Snake Oil Help! Layering it, Snake Pit scents, blends with Snake Oil

I've been tempted to order a bottle from the snake pit, but can probably afford only one...

The ones that tempt me are:

Australian Copperhead - for the acai berry, I like tart scents.

Boomslang - aside from the HP reference, I just like chocolaty scents, when they aren't sickly sweet.

Cottonmouth - it just sounds nice, I like florals and besides, cottonmouth are gorgeous snakes.

King Cobra - I like frankinsence, usually at least... besides, King Cobra is kind of the queen of snakes.

Boomslang and King Cobra seem to seduce me more than the rest, but still, I'm not sure...

I'm afraid of something cloying sweet or that will give me a headache...

Any recs?

I won't be much help in narrowing down. Those are all great scents in unique ways.

Personally, I don't find the acai berry so tart in Copperhead. It's a bit flat and green when fresh and when the blend ages, the overall effect is more like sugared cream and fresher, juicier berries. The berry note isn't as strong as in, say, Miller V. CA.

Boomslang is a great choice for a chocolate blend that isn't sweet. But, most people find that the cocoa aspect of Boomslang fades away as it dries. It definitely doesn't disappear, but for me it blends into the snake oil and other notes so instead of smelling distinctly of chocolate, it smells like a darker, richer Snake Oil.

If you love florals and Snake Oil, Cottonmouth is very nice. I found the two aspects very well balanced.

King Cobra is very heavy. I don't know if you've sniffed resin tears directly, but King Cobra is very much like that aroma. Very thick and earthy. It isn't as much the lighter scent of the resin smoke. So some people love Cobra for that, other people (such as myself), not so much.

Try if it you really want powerful, true Frankincense. If you're hoping for a lighter blend that smells like Snake Oil mingling with burning incense, try Temple Viper. (There, the resins have a sharper, more sour edge.)

1. Temple Viper

2. Boomslang

3. Habu

Habu might take over the #2 spot, though. King Cobra went all industrial bathroom cleaner, which is odd because I don't normally have a problem with any of those notes, and Aussie Copperhead was too sharply berry for me. All the others have unworkable notes.

To answer the H.O.Glory/W.Diamondback question: H.o.G is very beeswax and gunpowdery on me whereas W.Di is more like leather, and the feel of a snake, if that makes sense!?

WD to me is more snake oil than snake oil is, it really made me think snake...

My love is growing for Boomslang, and have gone completely off Temple Viper which is now sickly sweet on me (and I like sweet, non foody smells), and I don't like King Cobra anymore either, Green Tree Viper is my go to "I have a headache" blend, and Cottonmouth is my rarely-worn but well-liked, floral-dress scent. I don't own a floral dress but you know what I mean... :lol:

Actually, I do own a floral dress come to think of it, but it's pixellated flowers on black so it doesn't fit what I mean...rambles on...Cottonmouth is more vintage Laura Ashley hacked off short and left unhemmed with some battered but top quality white cowboy boots to complete the look.

Okay, now I need cowboy boots.

I'm probably in the minority, but for me #1 goes to Cottonmouth, it has the most amazing dry down.

#2 for me would be Boomslang, although i don't get much chocolate in the dry down. It's like a stronger, longer lasting Snake Oil on me.

#3 would be Green Tree Viper, it's nice and refreshing, but it does fade very quickly on me.

Temple Viper was just too much incense for me, i only sniffed it. Death Adder just doesn't seem to get past the Whoa Vetiver stage on my skin, it is sooooo smoky (too much so for me).

Still need to try Austrailian Copperhead, Habu, Saw Scaled Viper, Banded Sea Snake, Western Diamondback, Asp Viper, and King Cobra. Of the remaining snakes i'm most drawn to Austrailian Copperhead and Habu.

I have a bottle of Snake Oil that I´ve tucked into a dark corner and periodically retest hoping that I´ll grow to lovelovelove it. So far, it smells best on my skin during those few premenstrual days of the month. I hope that after it´s been in there a couple of years (I think it´s 1.5 so far) that it´ll keep getting darker and spicier and a little less... powdery.

Snake Pit scents on the other hand... LOVE!

So far I have bottles of:

Boomslang

Western Diamondback

Temple Viper

Green Tree Viper

Asp Viper

King Cobra

Death Adder

Saw Scaled Viper

Of those, I looooooove Temple Viper and King Cobra the most. The King is actually the blend that lead me to learn I love resins, frankincense, copal... yum. Temple Viper is sultry champaca deliciousness. Both are incensy, very different from another: KC is a red glow "perfume-y" scent to me whereas TV is purple and soft and fuzzy. I really like WD (though can´t say I get a lot of leather from it--it´s a bit more sultry dust and sun warmed sage but this Nevada native says it feels like the desert!) and Green Tree Viper is fantastic on hot days... The mint is so sultry and syrupy. I also really like SSV in spite of the reaction my skin has to it (but prefer Shub for my ginger fix). All these successes lead me to try Death Adder (in spite of my fear of vetiver) and Asp Viper, neither of which work very well on me. Death Adder is too much vetiver, and Asp Viper smells yummy at first but then dries to a flowery soapy feeling that is just "ok" and also fades fast.

I really still want to try Australian Copperhead, and based on these reviews I need to try Habu (I have fear of the bandaid stench that comes when my skin meets black musk).

All said, I just love these snakes!

Edited by Avery

I didn't know about this thread until the Snake Pit was being discussed on the Carnaval Diabolique thread. My favorite Snake Pit blends are:

1. Western Diamondback (mmmmmm, leathery goodness)

2. Habu (the teak in this is just amazing)

3. King Cobra (wonderful incense, yum!)

4. Australian Copperhead (the acai in this works on my skin wonderfully)

5. Boomslang (I didn't used to like chocolate as a note; this changed my mind, and now I like many chocolate-containing blends!)

6. Cottonmouth (love the florals in this!)

7. Temple Viper (lighter incense, but still yummy!)

8. Coral Snake (blood orange and apple are delicious, and the lemon doesn't interfere at all)

9. Death Adder (vetivert! Rawr!)

I can't wear: Green Tree Viper (eek! Mint!), Saw-Scaled Viper (raises welts on my skin), and don't like to wear: Asp Viper (the almond makes me feel sick to my stomach), Banded Sea Snake (aftershave!)

Edited by stellans

I love the snake pit! Honestly, they're all so great that it's tough to chose favorites.

Top 5

1. Habu

2. Green Tree Viper

3. Temple Viper

4. Banded Sea Snake

5. Death Adder

The only ones I don't like are King Cobra (mildew!) and Australian Copperhead.

I've never had a chance to try Anaconda, but I just don't know if I could justify buying the whole pit. Snake Oil is so strong on me that most of the snakes only require about an imp wand swipe per application. I doubt I'll ever be able to use up my partial bottles!

Snakes I've tried (in no particular order):

1. Asp Viper

2. Temple Viper

3. King Cobra

4. Green Tree Viper

5. Saw Scaled Viper

6. Boomslang

7. Western Diamondback

8. Snake Oil (aged - tested this after most of the others for comparison purposes)

Snakes I love:

1. Asp Viper (almond + myrrh + SO = :wub2: )

2. Snake Oil (I think I'll have to get a bottle, stick it in a drawer, and just forget about it for a few years :yum: )

3. Green Tree Viper (minty fresh!)

4. Saw Scaled Viper (started off as burning welts of doom on me, but it seems to have calmed down a bit after a few months of aging)

Snakes I'm not that crazy about:

1. Temple Viper (GAH! GRAPE!)

2. Western Diamondback (too manly... which is fine since I got it for ze man anyway)

3. King Cobra (too sharp)

Snakes I'm still not sure about:

Boomslang (I think I prefer my chocolate and Snake Oil separate...)

I've only tried two and weren't that impressed with either, mostly because SO just smells like custard on my skin. Not what I want to smell like anyway,

Green Tree Viper - Plain old mint that dries down into vanilla custard.

Coral Snake - Apple custard

I've been collecting snakes for the past year. Today I finally got to try the last two in the set (Boomslang and Asp viper)

The winners for me are

Cottonmouth (don't usually like florals,but this one works)

and

Western Diamondback (dry and resinous, reminds me of Ahathoor)

Also good

King cobra (spicy snake)

Asp viper ( almond snake)

Banded sea snake (green snake)

Temple viper (incense snake)

Habu (bamboo snake)

Not so good

Green tree viper (toothpaste snake)

Coral snake (apple snake)

Australian copperhead (candy snake)

Death adder (medicinal snake)

Boomslang (too much chocolate and too like snake oil)

Never

Saw scaled viper (overwhelming ginger cinnamon)

Might change my mind when I've had longer to try some of them.

Reading this thread has made me want to add a snake to my next order! I've never tried any of the Snake Pits OR Snake Oil (I know, I know, it's some kind of BPAL blasphemy) but Western Diamondback, Habu, and Temple Viper seem like they might appeal. I'm leaning toward Western Diamondback because I like warm, soft scents and with the leather, tonka, and sandalwood that sounds like what it might be. Anyone have any opinions specifically on which are the cuddliest snakes?

Heh. It seems like Australian Copperhead doesn't get any love. This is my one and only holy-grail scent. I could wear this every day and be happy.

Cottonmouth suprised me a few days ago- an imp was included by someone in a trade, and I am definitely in the market for a bottle. I liked Banded Sea Snake a whole bunch as well. I also have Boomslang and Coral Snake, and like them- but I think Cottonmouth & Banded Sea Snake are my next bottle purchases. I'd love to try Western Diamondback as well....

Snake Pit blends-something for everybody, apparently!

I've been thinking about getting boomslang, but I have some questions.

Is the chocolate in boomslang warm and smooth or dusty?

Does it smell medicinal like fresh snake oil? How does it change after aging?

Also, many of the reviews said it smells very similar to snake oil, is boomslang actually worth getting?

On me it was dusty, more like velvet than bliss if you've tried them. I haven't tried straight snake oil so I can't speak to the rest.

Reading this thread has made me want to add a snake to my next order! I've never tried any of the Snake Pits OR Snake Oil (I know, I know, it's some kind of BPAL blasphemy) but Western Diamondback, Habu, and Temple Viper seem like they might appeal. I'm leaning toward Western Diamondback because I like warm, soft scents and with the leather, tonka, and sandalwood that sounds like what it might be. Anyone have any opinions specifically on which are the cuddliest snakes?

Definitely Western Diamondback but don't overlook Banded Sea Snake which I adore, especillay when aged

Personally I would say Death Adder. It could be because my skin drinks in coconut, but to me it has the closest 'vibe' to Snake Oil than the others.

Quick question: which of the Snake Pit smells the most like Snake Oil?

I've heard it said that Habu dries down to almost 100% snake oil, but to me it's slightly fruity/woody.

My favorite snake - after getting decants of everything when they first came out - is Death Adder. The *OMG Vertiver!!* dies back once it's aged & just gives the oil a bite. Black Vanilla is so good in this.

I really like Temple Viper (I :heart: champaca) and Asp Viper (from sickly almond to glowing bronze warmth). Habu was wonderful fresh, but aged it sort of... is sharp & headache inducing if I'm not in the mood.

Ha that's funny! On me I would say Temple Viper. Also kind of has a Snake-Charmer vibe. Habu is similar too, but with bamboo obviously.

Thanks for the responses (about the most Snake Oil-like blend)-- I have tried Temple Viper, Boomslang, Cottonmouth, and King Cobra. My favorite is Temple Viper, hands down, but they are all great. So far they all seem more like cousins to Snake Oil than siblings, if you know what I mean. I'll have to give your suggestions a whirl.

I'm really attracted to the entire Snake Pit and to Womb Furie, but Snake Oil (at least lab-fresh) is way too sharp on me, even though I like it in theory can detect exotic smoky vanilla yumminess under the suffocating powdery bitterness and really really want it to work. Are there any SO bpals that, uh, don't smell so...Snake Oily? I do love O, and thought the honey in Womb Furie or the other notes in some of the Snake Pits might temper the more pungent qualities of fresh SO, but I would love suggestions from people for a good gateway Snaky blend for the unconverted.

I'm really attracted to the entire Snake Pit and to Womb Furie, but Snake Oil (at least lab-fresh) is way too sharp on me, even though I like it in theory can detect exotic smoky vanilla yumminess under the suffocating powdery bitterness and really really want it to work. Are there any SO bpals that, uh, don't smell so...Snake Oily? I do love O, and thought the honey in Womb Furie or the other notes in some of the Snake Pits might temper the more pungent qualities of fresh SO, but I would love suggestions from people for a good gateway Snaky blend for the unconverted.

I've tried a couple of the Snake Pits, and on me, Saw Scaled Viper is basically an atomic fireball candy that mellows into a cinnamon vanilla with some woody undertone. Habu seems to dry into smoky vanilla, but there's something almost watermelon candy-like about it wet. I don't mind fresh SO that much, but it is rather heavy and incense-y lab-fresh, so I can see why it might not be a universal favorite. I'll make sure I keep half an imp locked away to see what it's like aged.

A lot of people on the sales page have decants of the Snake Pit blends, you could always look up reviews to see which sound the most promising and go from there.

Snake oil is very bad on me and I've tried aged and fresh.

I have tried five different snake oil blends: Cake Smash, Boomslang, Australian Copperhead, Coral Snake and Womb Furie. I found that Cake Smash, Copperhead and Coral Snake were different enough from regular snake oil to be good on me. I particularly like Coral Snake which really smells nothing at all like Snake oil. Womb Furie smelled just like snake oil on me, but with honey and Boomslang smelled just like Snake Oil, but with chocolate. But YMMV.

Edited by Ellebelle