Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Bea-Bea

Recommending a BPAL pumpkin blend...

none of the pumpkins worked for me or really grabbed me and then i got pumpkin cheesecake :P mmmmmmm.... /wave goodbye my bottle of Pumpkin 2

pumpkin 1 followed by pumpkin 5. i think pumpkin 3 was the only one that didn't work quite right on me.

I love Pumpkin V, followed by Pumpkin IV (that one's not getting much love :P )

Pumpkin I: Sweet grapes and pear with a hint of pumpkin at first application and a very light tea note. This went super candy sweet on me.

Pumpkin II: The champa flower dominates, but the carnation and tonka add a nice creamy spiciness. The pumpkin is there, but it blends in and isn't very evident

Pumpkin III: The pumpkin faded sooo fast and then it turned to creamy caramel and tangy pomegranate.

Pumpkin IV: This one is so unique... the pumpkin blends nicely with warm herbal and grass notes. It's sweet, but not foody.

Pumpkin V: Spicy pumpkin goodness! Warm pumpkin with light citrus and ginger. I almost get an apple note in this as well, even though it isn't listed.

Thanks to everyone who replied for your help! I ordered a bottle of Pumpkin III and Pumpkin V a few days ago. I might try to find a decant of Pumpkin I because while I'm intrigued by the grapeyness/candy-like quality lots of people say it has, it also sort of worries me. :P But we shall see.

So, has anyone tried all of the Pumpkins from this year's Pumpkin Patch offerings? I'd love to see a sort of capsule review of the patch as a whole and any comparisons to other BPAL blends (no matter whether they're GC or LE or what have you).

It's not that I've hoarded the pumpkins from previous years, but even with single bottles, I've got 4 bottles from the first (2005-2006) batch and two from last year in my collection, as well as bottles of Pumpkin Queen and Pumpkin Smash and dribbles that I wish were bigger of The Pumpkin King and Pumpkin Cheesecake :P So I am questioning whether I need to add any more bottles of pumpkinny goodness to the herd. (or for fans of Mr. Show: It's pumpkininniny!)

I pretty much ruled out The Shattered Pumpkin because I amp that soil/earth note like no one's business, I basically turn everything into Graveyard Dirt... but for those of you who have tried it, let us know what you think, too. There are tons of people who love that note and wear it beautifully.

So, in chatting with my sister's boyfriend, I discovered that he wants a cologne that smells of pumpkin pie. Now, I KNOW bpal can deliver this, so my enabling sense went off right away! I have Jack and Pumpkin Queen and Pumpkin V from '07(i think), but all of those strike me as super foody and a bit more feminine because of that (maybe I'm just stereotyping?). I also have some shattered pumpkin, and I'm going to let him try that one, but I'm afraid it won't be "pie-like" enough.

So, I'm looking for blends that have that "pumpkin pie" feel, but also smell masculine/rugged/sexy (he's a leather and motorcycle kinda guy). I'm guessing there are some out there, especially with all the patches we've had, but I haven't smelled a lot of them, and would love some help with rec's! I figure once I have a nice list of potentials, I'll post an ISO put together a "manly pumpkin" imp pack. Then my sister can just eat him up, yum. :P

Thanks for your help!

Edited by jewelbug

My husband loves Jack. :P

From the original Pumpkin Patch 4 and 5 are both pumpkin pie, yet, because of the earthy elements they are more gender neutral.

Not pie per se, but I do find that the Shattered Pumpkin is a nice manly scent (pumpkin + leather).

Needle in the Haystack is a nice pumpkin scent without being in-your-face pumpkin.

Those are my two recs.

Thanks for all the recs thus far!

Needle in the Haystack is a nice pumpkin scent without being in-your-face pumpkin.

Leave it to you to recommend a near-impossible find, my dear! :P

From the Halloweenies I prefer Pumpkins 2 & 4 .
I'd say Pumpkin II & IV, and also Pumpkin Patch #4 if you can find it. Good luck!

For both of the above--which years, do you know? Thanks!

Personally, I find most of the Pumpkin Patch scents a little too feminine. The only one that really appeals to me, of course, is Pumpkin King which is much more like pumpkin pie. Its price and scarcity make it nearly impossible to find and not really a reasonable option. Have you thought about just a spicy scent like Shub or something similar?

I immediately thought of Pumpkin Patch #5 ('05 &'06) - Pumpkin with five woods, English ivy & galangal root. It has nice spicy wood notes with light pumpkin & is not that sweet.

Pumpkin Patch #4 of the same years (Pumpkin with sandalwood & orris ) is one of my favorite comfort scents, but it reminds me of baking bread rather than pie. I get a sort of sweet yeastiness from the orris & sandalwood combination. YMMV of course :)

I believe CoopieCat & mspixieears are talking about the 2008 Pumpkins both of which are not terribly foody & have many masculine components:

Pumpkin II: black musk, leather accord, tonka, teak, opponax & orangewood

Pumpkin IV: white sage, cherry tobacco, honey, smoky vanilla, cedar & pine

Good luck with your enabling!

Leave it to you to recommend a near-impossible find, my dear! :lol:

At least it's still DO-able!

Personally, I find most of the Pumpkin Patch scents a little too feminine. The only one that really appeals to me, of course, is Pumpkin King which is much more like pumpkin pie. Its price and scarcity make it nearly impossible to find and not really a reasonable option. Have you thought about just a spicy scent like Shub or something similar?

At least I didn't recommend Pumpkin King!

Try Pumpkin II if you feel the Shattered Pumpkin is too leathery.

Thanks for the rec's, everyone! I just set up a swap for a bottle of PPII and a bunch of decants of the other pumpkins. My sister's boyfriend will have a nice little pumpkin sampler to play with. :)

I know these blends don't contain pumpkin, but the spices bring to mind pumpkin pie and might do the trick (and they're easier to get a hold of than some of the LEs that have been mentioned previously):

Shub-Niggurath
(Picnic in Arkham) - A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

Saw-Scaled Viper
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Snake Oil with cinnamon, cassia, and red ginger.

I amp vanilla, and so Saw-Scaled Viper is very much a foody scent on me. I'm imagining it would smell less vanillic and sweet on a man, and probably come across as more gender-neutral. Shub-Niggurath lacks that strong vanilla and dries down to more of a masculine clove-y scent on me.

Just thought I'd throw those out there!

Edited by Apple

Hello! I'm looking for a pumpkin patch scent from any of the years. I'm a little overwhelmed, because there are so many. I'm looking for a fall pumpkin scent. I've tried these three:

Jack: I've had my Jack imp for a while, years probably and I believe it was second hand. So, age is not a factor. It smells like a candle and there's something 'off' about it. I think it might be the clove.

Pumpkin Patch 2 05 +06 This one is close, but a little too foody for me. I like it a lot better than Jack because it doesn't smell like a candle or have that 'off' note.

Pumpkin Queen: This is what I was hoping Jack to be. I really like this one, but alas, it's almost impossible to find. It's warm and perfect.

So, I basically don't want something overly foody. I like woody scents, but not pine or fir, I like warm scents, leather doesn't work on my skin (bug spray), I really want to try Pumpkin 1 05 +06 but that's also difficult to find...

Recs, please?

I was less than impressed with Jack. As everyone has already pointed out, it smells like a pat of butter fresh from the microwave, which, alas, was not what I had in mind.

Pumpkin V '09 (pumpkin, chocolate, coffee bean, vanilla bean, and hazelnut) smells like pumpkin-chai-happiness on me. I got my hands on Pumpkin Queen (Egyptian Amber, red ginger, orange peel, mandarin, cardamom, fig leaf and warm pumpkin) not too long ago, and while it does have a buttery top-note, that fades pretty quickly on me. It's not remotely as foody as Pumpkin V '09, though that might be a plus or a minus, depending on your preferences.

Pumpkin Queen: This is what I was hoping Jack to be. I really like this one, but alas, it's almost impossible to find. It's warm and perfect.

Pumpkin V 07 might be a little easier to find, and a lot of people find it very similar to Pumpkin Queen. It smells like a spicier Pumpkin Queen to me.

Edited by Little Bird

I've looked through all the past Halloween scents...am I missing one?

Does anyone know if there's a pumpkin scent that includes cinnamon?

or does anyone have any recommendations for which pumpkin scent to layer with which cinnamon scent?

thanks!

I've looked through all the past Halloween scents...am I missing one?

Does anyone know if there's a pumpkin scent that includes cinnamon?

or does anyone have any recommendations for which pumpkin scent to layer with which cinnamon scent?

thanks!

I think it might be partly that I amp cinnamon, but for me it came out like crazy from Pumpkin V 09. (despite not being listed, I believe.) Other people in reviews got some cinnamon out of it too. Not sure how strong a note you're looking for.

Also, while it wasn't listed and I didn't smell any, my husband smelled cinnamon in P IV 07. it is a very 'warm' blend so that might be why it fooled his nose, maybe worth a try?

I bet Jack and Chimera would play well together, for starters...

ooh and I love Chimera...so I'll have to get some Jack to try

and thanks fisharescary - I'll check those 2 out :)