Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
finecurvedhips

Lick It Again

Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? This is a new take on last year’s Lick It – a peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

In the vial: Peppermint!
Wet: Yummy peppermint, backed by sugar. This really is the perfect candy cane scent, Yummy.
Drydown: Sadly this fades really quickly on me :P I end up with just a very faint sugary scent.

Last year's Lick It is one of my favorite scents, and I always use it whenever I can't decide what to wear. :P So I was really looking forward to this year's version.

In the bottle, they smell the same - almost exactly, in fact!

Wet, they're still very similar, but the sugar is coming out faster in this one - very sugary, not so vanilla or minty.

Dry, it's very, very sugary, with only a hint of vanilla or mint. :D I really have to be searching to find either of those notes. This is not what I wanted or was looking for, alas. I think I'll stick to hoarding last year's Lick It instead. If you really like sugar scents, though, this might be for you!

When I first got Lick It Again, it was pure menthol peppermint. Very strong and sinus clearing. When I put it on the peppermint smell would last forever and I would get only a teensy bit of that sugary smell that everyone loves so much. Now after about two months (give or take) it has aged a little, and I'm beginning to understand why people love this so much. In the bottle, the menthol bite has been subdued a little, and it smells like peppermint. On the skin wet, it transforms into a candy cane! The peppermint gets very light and a sugary vanilla smell comes out. After about half an hour to an hour, the peppermint fades away completely, and a wonderful French vanilla sugar scent stays behind and lasts for hours. Really delish. I can't wait to age this some more, and maybe buy another bottle for this lovely sugary smell. LOVE VANILLA! Love this scent.

This reminds me of my experiments with Shill. :P I don't know how I feel about smelling like a food, but at least the mint should work with my skin if the sugar calms down.

In the bottle - Holy mint! Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it, but boy is that strong! With the vanilla sugar smoothing it out, it smells less like a peppermint stick and more like an afterdinner mint to me.

Wet - *does the mint marching song*

Drying - The peppermint immediately backed down and now the whole thing is much lighter and fainter. Still smells like an afterdinner mint to me, though. Just not a very minty one, one that's more vanilla. This is so faded so quickly! It does give a little throw, though, and with a scent as distinctive as this, a little goes a long way.

Dry (2 hours) - This fades really fast. There's barely a clinging of vanilla to me.

Overall - It fades faster than I'd like but it's so nice when it's here! I don't know, I just don't know...

LIA smells very similar to Lick It '05 to me. Initially they smell almost identical. The real difference that I notice is on drydown - the candied vanilla musk scent that I get from Lick It '05 is much richer (LIA smells thinner and less rounded) and lasts like crazy (whereas LIA disappears after a few hours).

Then again, my bottle of Lick It '05 is (obviously) aged for a year plus, and I don't remember what it smelled like when it was brand new. Aging has made so many of my BPALs so much better that I have no reason to believe that it won't improve LIA. And that's not to say that I don't like it now -- I think it's a really nice blend, and smells very much like the original Lick It. I just wish it lasted longer and was a little deeper, which a bit more age might solve.

In the imp: Candy Canes!

Wet: Candy Canes and Sugar!

Dry: Candy canes mellowed with the vanilla sugar taking over. Warm and vanilla-y and very light minty goodness. I really love this. I do wish it lasted a bit longer, but that's why I need to buy a bottle to slather! This is a really happy scent for me.

Wheeeee! This is quite a bit stronger than Lick It! It seems like a much sharper mint note, my nose gets all mentholated when I sniff it. This smells very much like a true candy cane scent, or a round peppermint candy. This is very strong and has quite a bit of throw. Very Christmasey, yummy, wintery and sweet. Not too different from last year's, but I think I prefer the first edition.

It smells like a sweeter version of Lick It, exactly what was promised. Not quite as strong mint-wise, but it smells...lickable! Not that I'm trying it that way, mind you, but it makes me want to.

It does seem to have less staying power than Lick It to me, but it smells so good. And I am not afraid to re-apply as needed :P .

I never would've tried this if I hadn't gotten it as a surprise imp. I am soooo happy I did!

Wet, it was very pepperminty with a hint of creamy sugar (a bit cotton candy).

As it dries, the mint rapidly takes a back seat to the sugar, which smells like a yummy, not too sweet vanilla.

I really, really like this. I'm going to hurry up and buy a bottle before it's too late!

I'm not a huge foody person. I enjoy them but I at the end of the day they get swapped. So I never looked into Lick It Again. But then I won a bottle in the snowflake contest and tried it on yesterday...and I really like it!

It starts with a blast of nose-clearing peppermint but within 5 seconds dies down to a really true candy cane scent. I found myself cursing the boy for throwing out the xmas candy canes this past weekend because this scent gave me some major candy cravings.

The dry down is a beautiful, creamy, musky vanilla that really reminds me of the dry down of le fee verte minus the citrusy absinthe note.

I found myself discreetly trying to sniff my wrists during class last night. I think my professor thought I was weird because he kept looking at me after I'd take a whiff.

at first: candy cane. spot-on.

on: cool, bright candy cane. very fun.

half an hour later: sweet, but with an odd vegetable-y scent to it.

1.5 hour later:still about the same.

3 hours later: still the same.

overall: some scents just do this vegetable thing on my skin.

The perfect candy cane smell from wet to dry down. Amazing and will be absolutely perfect come the winter month. The tingling sensation from the mint is just amazing.

*swoooon*. This is simply delicious. To me it's exactly the same as the original.... or wait. In the beginning it smells the same, but I do believe LIA wears off quite a bit quicker than the original. But it's still got that same sweet and creamy peppermint goodness. :P

I had such high hopes for this one. I'm a massive fan of anything peppermint and adding the jolt of sugar to it could only make it better. Right?

In the Bottle: Oh dear. This is ALL pepperminty sugar. *laughs* It's a very straightforward scent. Peppermint. And Sugar. Unmistakeable.

On Me: As soon as it hits my skin and it's all sticky warm peppermint candycane. Seriously yummy. As it warms to my flesh, the peppermint chills out a little, letting the sugary goodness rise to the forefront and take over. So now, it's more like peppermint hinted warm vanilla sugar.

Dry Down: It mellows out again and the peppermint dies down to an almost whiff of mint. It's a very delicate oil, I'll give it that. But it's going to be one reserved for those moments when I just need a jolt of candy-cane yum.

Overall, I like it. It's about what I expected it to be. A tad more subtle than I thought, but it works in a very bizarre way. I like it.

3/5

On my skin, it's a delightful strong candy-caney mint. It fades quickly so that all I'm getting at noon is an occasional whiff of mint, with very little sugar.

I'm not one for smelling like candy. Especially not when there's the potential for vanilla to come out. It's a very strong peppermint, but not strong enough to have homeopathic effects on my sinuses, so I can't even keep it around for that.

This scent doesn't morph on me at all (surprising!), so I'll just give my review all in one chunk.

SUGAR!! PEPPERMINT!! CANDY!!

I smell like I've been cozying up to some YorkDoubleMintCandyCane goodness and while this is definitely not a "wear everyday scent", I do absolutely adore it. So do some of my friends, in fact - one of them who attempts to take bites out of me eveytime I wear it around her. :P

You know, I really really wanted to love this. I mean, mint and candy, where's the bad here?

Sadly, the bad is on my skin. *wince* I make Lick It Again (06) go insanely sharp pepperminty. I don't smell like a candy cane, I smell like an Altoid. Not at all sweet, very biting, almost unpleasant.

Oh well, can't win them all, right?

Wet: Candycanes!

First on: Super-peppermint. VERY sugary.

Dry: Kind of a candycane with bite. I'm not getting a lot of vanilla, just a big sugary candycane. Mmm. Someone mentioned the 'menthol'-ness of this mint, and that's true. I happen to LOVE it. Just what I needed for this headache of mine!

This smells exactly like candy canes on me. It even makes my nose tingle when I sniff it.

However, I don't really like the smell or taste of candy canes -- peppermint is not one of my favorite scents -- so I don't think I'll be wearing this. I like a couple other BPAL mint scents, but not the peppermint ones.

So I was just comparing Tokyo Stomp to Lick it Again and then discovered I had not yet reviewed L.I.A.

Blasphemy!

In the bottle: Chilly, snowy, sharp peppermint

on me: nose-clearing, cheek-chilling, sugar-painted peppermint

later: A snowy, peppermint gust of wind, going straight into the soul. It smells cold, somehow.

Well, what can I say? It's a candy cane. It's a little menthol-ish and pretty sinus-clearing, practically eye-watering at first. It's got a nice strong throw. In the drydown, there's sugar, and maybe the barest hint of vanilla. I got this back in winter but turns out it's pretty good for hot summer days too. A definite keeper.

In the bottle: candy cane. *looks in bottle wondering how Beth got candy canes in there*.

Wet: candy cane, sweet creamy vanilla and mint! :D

Dry down: same with more vanilla peeking through.

30 minutes: mint really dries down to a whisper, and the vanilla almost smells like blond tobacco.

Conclusion: love, love, love this!!! Beth is incredible. I don't know how she does it. Candy cane in a bottle. :P

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

I loved the bottle of Lick It that I managed to get, so when I was able to get Lick It Again I was thrilled. They are similar, but to me the peppermint of the Lick It Again was more pronounced, and the sugary vanilla much less so. After it dries, the peppermint fades and there is a hint of sugared vanilla that remains. It doesn't have much staying power, but I love it.

Lick It Again, when compared to Lick It, is very similar and yet different. The differences like in the mint. Lick It Again's peppermint has a sharper bite to it and more of a menthol effect. The sugar calms that down and gives it a nice ending.

I really like this one, but I think I like the slightly vanilla aspect to the original version.