Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
finecurvedhips

Lick It Again

Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? This is a new take on last year's Lick It -- a peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

in the bottle: oh. em. gee. pure liquid candy-cane-y goodness, with a healthy dollop of sugar and vanilla to sweeten the peppermint up. i could sniff this all day. :lol:

wet: same. awesome. i love this. i want to eat myself. *coughs*

dry: damn. i lost the peppermint all the way around. i smell like MB: underpants. if i sniff super-duper hard, i can still find the peppermint, but it's pretty much gone vamoose on me. :(

verdict: while i'm bummed i have no pepperminty numminess to revel in, i love this nonetheless. i will be ordering (at least) one more bottle. i think i'm going to attempt to track down a bottle of the original as well (so if any of you have one to swap/sell...? *grins*)

ETA: initial testing was done on my wrist. now i'm wearing it everywhere i usually wear my bpal oils, and each and every spot feels incredibly cold and tingly. it's...interesting.

also...various parts of me smell differently now. the crooks of my elbows are all sweet underpants...between my boobs is pepperminty. so...yay!

This goes on smelling like toothpaste, but within a few minutes it smells just like a minty Antique Lace.

It's a perfect, cool, vanilla-mint. Perfect.

:P

I've been playing around with my bottle of last year's Lick It, eagerly waiting until I could compare it to this year's. In the bottles... Lick It Again smells like a slightly lighter version of Lick It. They're *very* similar though. I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart if I wasn't actually trying to note a difference.

On my skin... the mint here is sharper and less sweet than Lick It was. I'm not liking this so much.

Lick It had a vanilla sweetness that really rounded out the peppermint for me... Lick It Again has a cold sort of menthol bite instead of the sweetness. Peppermint and menthol. Boo.

After 15 minutes or so, a dusty sort of sweetness is coming up behind the icy, sharp peppermint. It's (sadly for me) not as sweet as Lick It. There's something of a dusty, light vanilla here though. Mostly it's still a very sharp mint, and the whole blend is fading really fast on my skin.

Lick It Again is like Lick It Lite for me... minus the rich vanilla, and with a heavier smack of biting peppermint. I'll be hoarding my bottle of last year's and swapping away this one :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I get mostly sugar for this scent, with a suble underlayer of peppermint, which isn't neccessarily bad, because the peppermint in the bottle is really strong.

Lick it again, oh how I want to lick myself, *shakes her fist at the disclaimers*

i had tried lick it last year and then swapped it away as the scent

faded far too quickly...

i am embracing this year's version!!

straight sniff from bottle is truly sugary, sweet peppermint...

once applied the peppermint comes through loud and clear...

icy goodness!! it settles down within 15 minutes and the sugar

is very apparent...this is delightful and oh so festive!!

lasts a good long time on me too!! :P :D

I am totally in love with this scent. I didn't really expect it, but it was love at first sniff! Last year's Lick It didn't quite do it for me, but the addition of the extra sugar just about knocks my socks off. It works beautifully with my skin chemistry and I could not be more smitten. I may need a second bottle, and I don't really ever do the second bottle thing! It's that good. I kind of want to bathe in it. PERFECT.

A decant from jewelbug! :P

In the imp: Peppermint candy cane goodness.

On Skin: Smells just like Lick It. I can't tell them apart. Although I think I detect an extra bit of sweetness to Lick It Again.

On Drydown: There is a whiff of vanilla that is more prominent in Lick It Again.

After two hours, you can definitely smell the extra sugar. The mint has receded to the background.

Verdict: Delicious. I really can't pick a favorite between Lick It and Lick It Again. Yes, it has an extra dose of sugar but really both of them are peppermint candy love.

I hadn't tried last years Lick It, so I was really excited to try this! The big enticement for me was the extra sugar! I have been on a sugar kick lately!

In the imp: pure sweet candy cane!! :P

Wet on my skin: Holy hec!! This is pure peppermint oil in my face :D (no sugar) and I had only put a small drop on!! No one could come near me - they could smell it from across the room and where I was sitting, I was getting my sinuses cleared. Very intense peppermint

As it dried down, the peppermint let a bit of the sugar share the scent and that toned the whole scent down a couple of notches. It is still pretty strong and I started to think that maybe this was going to be a fantastic in an oil burner.

Complet dry down and 15 minutes later: the peppermint has really faded - so much so that I actually have to put my nose directly to where I applied it! And right there at the application point and lingering about a foot around it, I have the most perfect Candy Cane ever!! It is extra sweet and sugary!! The peppermint is just a whisper right now.

Conclusion? This is quite the smell and I will be ordering a bottle of this soon! It is the perfect sugary peppermint candy cany!!!

Edited by Rhowan

in the bottle:butter mint candies. yum

wet: soft buttery vanilla mint (peppermint incase anyone missed that)

as it dries it softens and becomes slightly more vanillic (is that a word...if not it should be and will definitely be added to the shelldoo to english translation dictionary) but it still retains a peppermint skeleton...just enough to hold the vanilla in check and keep it strong and give it definite form. love last years and love this years.

Got this as a decant from blood onmy hands - thanks lady! :P

imp: peppermint! YUM.

wet: Ohhh, peppermint!

drydown: minty goodness

Yes, just like a candy cane. Light and minty - reminds me of kissing someone right after they've brushed their teeth, which is a pleasant, cozy memory.

Note: I've completely overwhelmed my nose tonight with the delicious goodness of stronger CD scents on my other wrist, so it's hard for me to tell if the vanilla has emerged or if Lick It is still there at all? I think so - but faintly.

If I had any patience I'd wait to re-test before reviewing. And if I have any memory, I'll come back to this and let you all know how it goes on subsequent sniffs. If this turns out to be too short-lived on me to make a good personal scent, then I am sure I will love it as a room scent or linen spray. It's delectable and just right for this time of year.

ETA: Trying Lick It Again, well, again this morning. I'm happy to report that the sparkly peppermint tones down a bit on drydown and the vanilla does come out, making this a lovely, lightly sweet scent. Sadly the vanilla goes a bit plastic-y on me as vanilla is wont to do. :D Probably won't be getting a bottle, but I'll definitely use up my imp. I also think this would be a fantastic bath oil.

Edited by maribouquet

Wet in the bottle: Very strong peppermint...just like a fresh candy cane

Dry: Beautiful, cool candy cane with a nice smooth vanilla

I love it! I didn't try last year's version of Lick It, but I am definately impressed with this version! It is a very edible scent, but not too sweet. I didn't seem to last very long on my skin, but I will try it again alone and see if the throw and wear length increases.

Lick It Again

Lick It was the scent I was hoping and praying Beth would revisit since I hadn't been enabled soon enough for last year's Yule. I mean, peppermint and sugar? With vanilla maybe? What could be more perfect? So yes, I just about cried tears of joy when this Yule update went live. Beth heard my prayers! :D

Lick It Again in the bottle is pure peppermint - refreshing and cool, don't get much sugar yet.

On my wrists - It starts out intensly pepperminty and gets sweeter as it dries down. I'm reminded of the peppermint candy the white ones with red swirls and not of candy canes, but that's probably because I eat those more often. They are pretty much the same thing.

As it starts to fade, it becomes creamy. My skin tends to do that - everything fades into vanilla. :D

I'm a peppermint addict, and I always have strong mints and peppermint gum in my purse, so I adore Lick It Again! I'm not disappointed even after all the anticipation and speculation.

ETA: Now that it's begun to age a bit, it's sweeter and creamier, the peppermint is a little less intense. I can now smell sugar and vanilla from the bottle. I love this! :P

Edited by nannan45

One of my LJ friends decanted a few drops in a sample bottle for me to try.

I popped the cap off and the mint was SO STRONG that it made my eyes water and I sneezed.

And on me, it smells like I've bathed in Scope mouthwash or rolled in crushed Altoids. Plus my eyes still water.

Not for me, alas.

I fell madly in love with last year's Lick It when I bought it at auction during the summer. It has incredible throw, lasts a good long time, and the vanilla undertone is so delicious when the beautiful peppermint fades. Alas - this year's sugary version doesn't work as well on me at all. :P I miss the vanilla, and once the peppermint fades, there's just nothing there any more. Within 30 minutes it has utterly disappeared from my skin.

Could it be that the bottle I bought in July had aged for nine or ten months? If I thought that were the case I'd buy some to age... but I really miss that rich vanilla from last year's version.

Gahhhhh~!! I was going to stock up while I could. :D

In the imp: Oh god how I loved Lick It. This is like Lick It with more toothachey sugar-peppermint goodness.

On me, wet: The vanilla warms through the peppermint and makes this into a lovely, sugar-drenched candycane. Must not bite wrist.

On me, dry: The peppermint doesn't hang around as long or as strongly as I'd like, but the faintly-minty vanilla afterscent is pretty good anyway.

Verdict: The extra sugar doesn't make this much different from Lick It, so: yum yay glad I got a bottle.

Eee! Candy cane!

Really. This isn’t just peppermint -- it’s sugared peppermint. Holy cow. It smells exactly like candy cane.

As it dries, it becomes a touch more complex. Now, instead of smelling like straight candy cane, it smells like a peppermint cupcake. The “white cake” scent from in Eat Me and Cockaigne is here. Unlike those two, however, I like it. The peppermint makes it a clean, delicious smell instead of allowing the maddened cake armies to rule the world. (On a side note, I think my skin amplifies the BPAL “cake” note. I wish I knew what to call it when it isn’t called cake.)

The peppermint denatures within the hour, as does the cake. I don’t know quite what to make of the underlying scent; it’s warm (not spicy, merely warm, in contrast to the earlier chill of the peppermint) and possibly resinous, but I’m still very bad with resins. The stage following that one seems like the cake has deteriorated into its component chemical parts -- a quiet, unimpressive, and weirdly artificial result. I suppose it takes some effort to make such a tasty candy cane.

Despite the rapid failings of the scent, this is some serious tasty goodness upon opening and first application. I can wear it without being afraid that I’ll sear people’s noses with peppermint for days, and that’s not so bad. Still, I would rather have it stay pepperminty for a while, and I wish that the scent hadn’t fallen apart so swiftly. It was delightful and sugary, but reapplying every hour would be rapidly deadly to those around me. Darn.

For some reason, I never bought any of the previous Lick Its. Perhaps I wasn't in a mint phase then, because I have a vague memory of thinking why would I want to smell like a candy cane when I don't even like candy canes?

Was I a fool or what?

Before I swapped for a decant of this, I went back through my "special" imps and found 1/2 an imp of SnowBlind, and fell in love with its glorious butter mint scent. I thought why, oh why don't I have more of this? What I was craving mint and vanilla.

some reviews here have found Lick It Again not quite as sweet and vanilla-esque as earlier years, but I guess I'm a lucky one: my skin amps vanilla anyway, so I found just want I wanted in it Lick It Again. At first it is sharp peppermint--almost overwhelming, but on the skin it quickly turns sweet--just like a candy cane. What I like best though, is on me the peppermint fades quickly (within 1/2 hour) and I'm left with a soft whisper of mint and sweet vanilla candy goodness.

and it lasts on me for quite a long time. Apparently last night I got a bit on the t-shirt I was wearing, because when I picked it up this morning, I thought, my god, what is that gorgeous scent? Yes, it was Lick it Again.

So my final opinion--It's not Snowblind but its still pretty damn good. :P

LICK IT AGAIN

In Bottle: Candy cane

On Skin: This is pretty darn to the point, it’s an extra sugary candy cane. Delicious peppermint blended so well with sweet vanilla sugar. I love it! It is quite tamer than last years Lick It which was a bit too pepperminty for me. It’s not exactly a scent I’d wear, but I LOVE it as a room scent. I think I need to get a bottle just to help me start getting in the Christmas spirit. Yum, yum and another yum! Light to medium throw, short to avergae wearlength.

I was in a decant circle for last years Lick It, but unfortunately it was a swaplift, not a circle. So I was really happy to see Lick It Again hit the streets this year....

lickitagain.jpg

Bottle: Lightly caramelized sugar and mint.

Wet (12:51): Super Minty (mintiest bpal I've had) and sweet. But this sugar seems darker than what I'd expect of candycanes, so much so that I almost think of chocolate--like girlscout thin mint cookies!

Drying: Just so intensely minty! If I get too close to sniff, I can feel the chill in the back of my throat. Its divine.

Dry: Still minty, though the chill in my throat doesn't happen now that its dry. Its mint, and sugary dark vanilla. When hubby smelled it he said "mint chocolate chip pie." So at least I'm not the only one thinking chocolate and dark confections. :P

Later, this goes inot a carmalized sugar vanilla scent (def not chocolat) with light mint, and then after 4 hrs it is wisps of faint minted vanilla sugar.

Overall: On my wrists, this goes synthetic sugar. But on the rest of me it’s a divine vanilla mint sugar, and darker sugar than expected. LIA is really different from any other bpal I've tried, and its FUN. Not a normal Julie scent, but definitely something for when I'm feeling playful. I think I might wear it tomorrow when we put up the Christmas tree. And I'm thinking that a foot lotion scented with this would be super (for personal use of course)!

Edited by jewelbug

PEPPERMINT!! :ack:Just like a bowl-ful of red and white swirled peppermint candies. I was hoping this would be more like Snowblind with a bit more butter-vanilla to it. :D And after the drydown this actually turns pretty sour on me (like someone's been sucking on a peppermint to cover up their cigarette/chewing tobacco-breath and has spit it out onto my arm only half melted... :P ) and my arm is really starting to tingle uncomfortably.... < sigh > Really glad I resisted the urge to grab up 2 bottles of this one.

In the bottle: Pure absolute candy cane awesomeness.

Wet: Almost identical to the bottle, it's a force of candy cane power and hardcore mint against me, with faint hints of vanilla and sugar. It's strong.

Drydown: After about a minute, it turns a LOT more subtle. The mint dies away a bit and the vanilla-sugar becomes a bit more present. For the first twenty minutes, the candy cane seemed almost stale... there was a bitter minty tone that was just kind of odd. But then it smooths out, and it's this perfect light peppermint with sweet vanilla-ishness on the side. Like a minty Antique Lace.

Absolutely gorgeous, but its throw DIES on me completely, before even half an hour's up I'm practically shoving my wrist up my nose. I wish it could be stronger, but it's still darn pretty!

I had high hopes for Lick It Again, and unfortunately they were all dashed. :P In the bottle it's all extremely stong peppermint, and on me it turns into pepperminty menthol. Since I have no desire to go around smelling like Vicks, this goes to the swap pile.

I did not buy Lick It last year--for whatever reason, I wasn't in a peppermint mood. This year, though, I am BIG TIME in that mood! :P Now that I have bath bombs, body wash, and lotion in candy cane scents, I am all prepared to layer Lick It Again properly and be sweet all season. And, as a side note, let me just say that I love the labels on the bottles this year--very elegant. Mmmm, Lick It Again is just as good as I hoped! It's slightly tingly on my skin, and I can clearly smell both vanilla and the yummy peppermint. It *does* have a slightly menthol edge to it at first, but that doesn't bother me. The overall impression is of peppermint combined with cupcakes or other foodiness, and I just love it!

I LOVED last year's Lick It and wear it all the time. I was really excited about trying Lick It Again to see what a new take on it would be like.

Well, LIA is a lot stronger peppermint than last years and it has a hint of menthol, although it's not overpowering... It lasts longer (on me) than last year's version too.

It's not as sweet and creamy as Lick It, although I think I like it- it has a stronger peppermint kick.