Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wichapi

Knecht Ruprecht

The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees.

In the bottle, this is sweet and beautiful; i'm getting almost no pine or forest....or if I am, it's definitely deciduous forest in the cold.....

Wet, on arm: a slight piney note is coming forward, and again with the slight orchard fruits and nuts.

Dry: oh my. I'm almost crying, I don't know why. I love this. Dry, cold, beautiful snowy forest with sweets mingling in the background, and I have no idea why, but the slightest bit of comforting scent of a dark movie theater...like the smell of freshly popped popcorn kernals with no butter lingering in the background, all light and airy and fluffy......bizarre. This is really, really nice.

New to the BPAL world, I decided to try some decants of the Yuletide LEs before they were all gone. I tried Knecht Ruprecht first and I have to say that I was very surprised by how different it smelled on my skin than in the imp.

In the bottle: Very heavy on the woodsy smell. Pine, evergreen maybe, very Christmas-tree-freshly-cut-from-the-forest with a hint of dried apples, almost an apple cider tinge. Warm smelling.

Wet on my skin: Almost pure apple cider with the very barest hints of pine tree clippings.

Dry on my skin: (About fifteen-twenty minutes after application) I'm really smelling the woods again with that very potent apple-cider scent tinging it all. It wafts pretty far on me and is a very nice blend. I guess that I would say it's got a heavy throw to it since it's not worn down in potency at all and I only used a little. It's mellowed into this very nice, very holiday feeling scent of apple-cider, tree clippings, and -for me- a strange butter-y tinge to it.

I don't get any sense of "cold" from this scent personally which I found disappointing in a way as I really love "cold" scents for myself. I think this one is the warmest scent I've tried yet, to be honest. It reminds me of sitting in front of the fireplace at Christmas with the tree nearby and warm cider to hand. It's a very home-y scent.

Rating: Out of 5, I'd give this one a 3.5 as I really like it and am touched by it, but I wouldn't buy another bottle just for my own use.

Berries and snow, with pine. I love this at first, but then the almond creeps in and sweetens it up too much. I’m glad I got to try this, but there are other snow/pine blends I like much better, that aren't so...nutty. Me and almond are just not friends.

Every now and then I get bored with what I have, and then a scent rekindles my love. This is one of those. I lost my spreadsheet of oils I tried when I got a new computer, but this smells like other snowy scents at first (skadi maybe? I don't know). But it mellows to a beautiful crisp snow, pine, and almond. This isn't a novelty scent is in the way some winter scents are (i.e. amazing, but not the best for every day wear). This is quite a traditional perfume as it mellows, which I didn't expect! I could see myself wearing this to work on an almost daily basis. Really, it's beautiful. Not too sweet, not too much forest, not minty. Just right.

at first: a cold pine forest scent with a hint of apple.

on: this is lovely. lots of pine and apple. a unique winter scent.

1 hour later: lovely. pine and woods with a bit of a chill, if that makes any sense.

3.5 hours later: fruit and pine.

4.5 hours later: still very fruity with pine.

overall: this is a really interesting "snow" scent. the apple definitely gave it a nice twist.

Christmas-scented air freshener. Not in a really bad, overly chemical way, but I feel like I'm wearing Christmas-scented air freshener. I'm getting a mix of trees rather than straight evergreen, but they don't smell like real woods to me, and that doesn't sit quite right to me. As the scent dies it has almost a foody tone, but it's not good enough to be worth smelling like air freshener.

In the vial: Apple trees in flower/fruit. Wow, Beth totally captured that in a bottle!

On the skin: Still apple, but the almond is there as well. It's a yummy scent; if there ever was a foody-aquatic this would be it. Honestly, it surprised me. This was my second favorite of the Yule '06 scents that I tried. Very much a keeper!

Edited by bat

Imp: Sweet wood/trees. I can't tell what kind, though

Wet: It's very evocative of a forest, with mingled fruit and evergreen trees. It's a very cold scent.

Dry: Less piney, but still too Christmasy for me.

I just got a decant of this one in a mystery pack from the swaps. It wasn't something I'd have picked for myself (that being the point of surprise packs. :P ) but I'm impressed.

In the imp: Well, that's certainly evergreens. Uber-evergreens, like standing in a forest. Not unlike Nocnitsa.

Wet: Definitely snowy evergreens now, there's a coolness that I'm quite liking.

Dry:I'm getting the apple now, with the evergreen. And a tiny, tiny, sweetness that I'm guessing has to be the almond.

This one smells like an idealized midwinter, with clean snow and curling up. I think it would work really well on either gender (Which is good, I suppose, as The Mate will likely borrow this, with his lve of piney smells.)

Strange, but gorgeous and happy.

In the bottle: almonds and apples, the pine doesn't jump out like I expected.

Wet: almonds and apples.

Dry down: alomonds and apples hangin by strings on the pine trees in a snow covered forest.

30 minutes: pine and snow, with a slight hint of apples, the almonds are all eaten.

Conclusion: snow, pine, and apples with a hint of sweetness. I like this a lot.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

Edited by atropos

This is very representative of winter in a forest. You can smell the snow, the dead tree branches, and some pine. The fruits smell slightly like Hi-C fruit punch to me, but it's soft and in the background compared to the snow and wood. As it dries, the fruit smells more like holly berries and it's even more indicative of winter.

The best way to describe this is woodsy-apple! I really like it! Very warm and fruity...but not like apple pie warm, but like baked apples warm! It really makes me hungry for baked apples and Christmas time! I will really like this in my oil burner!

This is a beautiful warm, golden scent. There is a touch of Christmas tree in there, cold air (minus the snow), and almond. The almond is too strong for me to wear this, but I am glad that I tried it out.

First Impression: Light woods

Dries down to: It gets sweeter

Additional Comments: I can't really distinguish apple or almond. It's a unique blend and it's growing on me.

Lasted: A few hours:

Rating: 3 out of 5

It appears that I never posted my review on this!

imp: fruity pine/fir

wet: ripe fruit and live pine/fir trees

dry: piney plug in air freshener. :P

Same basic jist on hubby.

Oh well.

bottle: everygreen and almond.

wet: light and fruity pine.

dry: this dies to a very sweet pine. i'd hoped there would be more apple but i'm still quite pleased with this scent.

I got a decant from a friend who couldn't wear this because it gives her migraines. I'm really glad to say it doesn't do the same to me!

I get a chilly pine scent, with warm sweetness behind it (the fruits, obviously) -- it smells like some kind of warm family Christmas celebration. The chilly scent is when the guests arrive and the wind blows in the open door. Then the door closes, and the heat of the room and all the people there makes the Christmas tree scent come out, while someone is in the kitchen making mulled wine and baked apples. It's a wonderful, happy scent to me.

In Vial: Strong! Smells like a mix of gingerale, apple cider and pine.

Wet: Sweet clove and orange juice. This smells like a spiced cider I used to drink as a child at christmas.

Later: The pine is coming out more. Reminds me this smells more masculine. I love it because this blend smells christmasy.

Boy am I ever loving my Knecht Ruprecht! On me this is such a lovely balsam like scent and I love balsam! A lil fruity and woody too. Just an amazing all around blend. By the way if anyone has got any recommendations for more balsam ruling blends please let me know :P I give this blend a 4.5/5

In the bottle: pine and almond.

Wet: pine, almond, and apple, fighting it out for dominance.

Drydown: sugared evergreen (may not be pine, after all--might be spruce) and fruits with a bitter aftertaste. I'm wondering if the sugar is supposed to be the "snow" note.

A nice variation on the fir scents.

Edited by Czarina

This one is a very strong fir note, it's almost peppery on me. More of a masculine pine/fir blend in my mind. Dark, chilly, wintery.

Forest trees covered in cold snow with a rich background of fruit and nut! :) Yummy and wild. Great blend that is slightly herby and reminds me quite a bit of this ear's Frau Holle.

I smell like a furniture shop. Which is not to say I don't like it... My friend commented that I smelt like her desk :whistle:

I had very high hopes for this. In the bottle it was a very foody scent smelling like boozy apples with a hint of almond. Wet and dry all I get is a very strong evergreen.

I love Knecht Ruprecht! I love many of the Lab's pine/fir scents, and this is among the best of them. I never really pick up on the almond, but all the other notes play against each other very nicely. It's a crisp and robust pine scent, but the fruit makes it even more special and unique. Three years later I finally have a bottle on the way (not that it was all that hard to find, I just kept putting it off). Hooray!