Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Lilium Inter Spinas

Hibiscus syriacus, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, apple blossom, and green fig.

On me this is a very green lily scent. The two most prominent notes are lily and fig. However, this is not a winning combination for me. While I like all of the notes in this blend individually or in other combinations, this blend in particular smells a lot like aqua net on me (no joke!). I am quite sad, because I thought this one would work very well but it just doesn't. :P I guess Lilium Inter Spinas is one of those 'exceptions to the rule'.

This is really refreshing. I get mostly lily of the valley and whitesandalwood. This feels like this should be worn at the beginning of summer, when the heat starts to set in. A tad soapy, but that's not a turn-off. Strong throw as well. I really like it, and will definitley keep the imp!

This is lovely first on - a soft, fruity floral with a peachy tone to it. Sadly the drydown on me is icky - the fig goes a bit rotten and goes to war with the sandalwood. It's not awful, it's just like a bruised apple - off-putting.

When I opened my imp of Lilium I got a nice sweet whiff of juicy peachy fruit and florals and wet on my skin it smellt so bright and lively yet delicate and feminine.

It has dried down now and is quite stagnant and powdery but the fruitiness distantly lingers in the background but is far too overpowered by that icky pot pourri. Some of the floral scents do that to me, for example, Feu Follet. Darn!

Edit again: It's had some time to adjust and the powderyness isn't as strong and I can smell the sweet notes a bit more after the overbearing powder resided. But now the whole scent is pretty weak on me. Sadly no!

Edited by ribcaged

Even though I haven't been a Christian for a very long time, there are two biblical passages that I still love; the Song of Solomon and 1 Corinthians 13. Given that the former is the far happier of the two, I'm incredibly glad to see a scent based on it. :D

In the vial - Fresh and sweet, with a honeyed richness. It's youthful and bright.

Wet on the skin - Breathtakingly lovely. Bright, fresh apple blossom and juicy fig; not the dark, pulpy fig of Gomorrah but a young, just-ripe fruit still on the tree that's warm from the sun and ready to be picked. There's no sign of the sandalwood yet, but I imagine that will emerge later.

Dry down - There's nothing cloying about the sweetness in this blend - it's refreshing and cooling, like fresh fruit on a hot day. Lily of the Valley is one of the few florals (and the only lily!) that really work with my skin chemistry, and I'm delighted to find its soft, sweet fragrance here.

I can't recommend this blend highly enough. On my personal star rating sytem, it's four out of five. Five is reserved for Shub-Niggurath and Brides of Dracula. :P

Oh my. this is my favorite BPAL scent so far.

I never thought I would be fond of florals, but BPAL is quickly changing that.

It has been the same wet and dry on me, for several hours.

Very strong Lily of the Valley and Apple Blossom, with a background of green fig.

It reminds me of being a little girl and going to the Cathedral with my grandparents, and kneeling in front of the statue of The holy Virgin on her feast day, when it would be covered in lilies. This perfume smells, well, exactly as I always imagine Mary would smell, when she would appear to people in visions. (Weird, I know).

I think of this as a very innocent, clean, girlish floral with a touch of honeyed sweetness. It's a strong scent, with a lot of throw, and these florals don't...er...beat around the bush. You can't miss them. So it brings up thought of one's first real love...passionate, headstrong, ecstatic, honest, and pure in its intentions.

Very appropriate for a scent based on the Song of Solomon

In the bottle – Sharp harsh lilies

Wet on me – Mostly what I get is astringent lilies with just a touch of powder from the apple blossom

Dry on me – Soft powdery nothingness

Overall – This disappeared almost immediately, but the lily meant it was unlikely ever to be a winner on me

Blends that have anything at all to do with Christianity and purity normally turn awful, really awful, on me. It's normally the fault of some lily or other.

This one seemed safe enough as the only lily mentioned in the description doesn't turn soapy on me. Alas, the final result is very green, and soapy enough to make me smell like a very good fabric conditioner.

I'll still have to make do with Bathsheba as my only biblical-themed blend.

In the imp: Varnish

On Skin: Very green lily, with a almost coconutty warmth underneath

Drydown: Soapy, clean floral

Verdict: This is a very lily and clean floral, but alas! It reminds me to Ivory soap. Off to swappage.

Whoa baby! This is a power floral. In the imp, it seemed unprepossessing, but the minute it met skin, it heated up something fierce. Mostly I smell lily, but it makes even Cobra Lily seem like a shrinking violet...so to speak. The fig and apple ground and warm it a bit.

With major throw and longevity for days, this may be too potent, even for me, a girl who likes her tea weak and her scents strong. But it's beautiful and even sexual (not always a floral attribute). I think it would be a great perfume to wear to a club if you wanted to radiate an aura of confidence and sexual availability.

Wow! I love lilies but there aren't many perfumes with them in that I can wear. This, however, has a slight fruity edge to it and as a result is absolutely gorgeous on me. I want more!

Soft and lady-like.. I imagine this is what a victorian ladys dusting powder would smell like. If you don't want to shout your presence but get people sniffing in your direction, this is the blend.

Lilium Inter Spinas smelled just like original scent of Gain laundry detergent when I put this on. This made me sooo happy! After an hour, the apple blossom dominates with the sandalwood backing it. I never caught the hibiscus, lily of the valley or fig. I’m kind of sad about that, but the apple blossom is so fruity, floral and juicy! It stayed that way too.

Overall, Lilium Inter Spinas is awesome. It’s strong without being choking and clean without being soapy. I think this might become a bottle-buy for me!

Very perfumey at first, with a tart note (I think that's the apple blossom, though it's usually nicer on my skin.) Fades down into a generic, sweetish 'floral' that stays really close to the skin. I'm kind of surprised - apple blossom and fig are usually wonderful on me, and sandalwood is decent. Nothing about this is terribly appealing, though.

I love most of the notes listed in this blend but alas, the resulting combination is not all that interesting on me.

Lily is by far the most prominent note and by this I mean regular lily, not lily of the valley which usually works much better on my skin. The fig brings a hint of greenness and there is an underlying sweet note that may well be the apple. The sandalwood and hibiscus are MIA, as far as I can tell.

A few hours after applying, Lilium Inter Spinas has already faded into a thin, wispy scent that is certainly not unpleasant at all, but not a must-have blend either.

Edited by Ishtar

Instantly sandalwood and apple blossom. It’s very fresh and florally in a springtime sort of way. I get a touch of the lily but none of the fig. One of the lab’s more traditional perfumey scents I feel.

wet: tha sandalwood and lily of the valley are almost overpowering. i can barely detect the other notes.

wet: creamy sandalwood with lots of florals. i wish i could smell the apple better because i'm sure if i could, i would have already ordered a bottle.

dry: sandalwood always stays pretty strong on me and this blend is no exception. i almost wish it were a wee bit more subdued so i could really appreciate the other notes.

My boyfriend told me that I smelled "clean, like Zest soap" when he smelled freshly-applied Lilium Inter Spinas on me.

I think it definitely smells clean and fresh, but not like soap. I could swear that this blend has gardenia in it. I'm getting strong, wafting single note gardenia from this one. Maybe it's the hibiscus or the lily that I'm smelling (or maybe the combination) but it doesn't have that sharp lily bite to it that I normally smell.

This one's okay, nothing too special. But it's nice and I'm not rushing to scrub it off my skin. I'd give it a 2.5/5.

I got this for my Mom, sight unsniffed, because it is her namesake blend--her first name is Sharon, and it was chosen because of this verse (her father was a minister). :D Even though the name of the blend is 'lily of the valley' instead of 'rose of Sharon', it just seems so fitting, and plus she does like clean florals.

On me, Lilium smells very soft and white and somehow old-fashioned. It's so well-blended that I can't pick out individual notes other than the namesake floral and a hint of apple in the drydown, but it reminds me of Mom's favorite Estee Lauder perfume, and I think she'll love it! :P

Hmm, I like this more than I thought I would. I was hesitant to try it, since the floral blends have been smelling horrid on me lately. But this seems very nice, light, fruity floral. Don't really smell any fig, but think I can smell the sandalwood, lily, and apple blossom. More of a spring scent than mid Winter.

Mmmm..... apple blossoms :P The fig adds a sweetness to this perfume. There's also a green-ness...I think that's the hibiscus. Then I smell the soft lilies. I like this one a lot :D

I am having a hard time picking out individual scents with this one. Bright fruity top with a floral bottom.

in vial: strong perfume

wet: wow! super strong perfume with baby powder. must be the florals.

later: baby powder, soapy perfume.

In the bottle: Very green, fairly sweet, a bit sharp. Light, clean smelling floral notes.

Wet: Amped floral, but still some greenness. Mmm the lily of the valley is delicious, even if it's a little on the pungent side. For once I really can't smell any musk - nearly everything seems at least a tad musky on me. I think I can smell the sandlewood - it's a nice dry warmth that balances the green floral freshness well. Barest hint of soap, in a good way - clean but not truly soapy.

Dry: It's faded alot - this is not a super strong bpal. The notes I can still detect are lily of the valley, sandalwood, and I think what must be green fig. It's nice - very feminine, refined.

Summary: Lovely, but too floral, not bright enough for me personally.

In the imp: A little apple, a little floral, and a little varnish! Strong, sharp smell with flowers.

Wet on skin: I could almost swear I smell rose about to turn to soap on me... Very florally-perfumey type scent, also has an "aquatic" feel.

Drying: This sharpens up a bit and I get a lot more lily of the valley, which I like, but it's still kind of overly florally. And I agree with the "traditional perfume" assessment. It does have a green edge to it, so it's not wholly lost to gushy florals, but I'm not really smelling the uniqueness I hoped for with fig and apple.

Dry: Faded a lot. And went kind of bland, dry sandalwood and white floral (not-quite-soap) on me.

Somewhat disappointing. Not really unpleasant at any phase of wearing (which is more than can be said for some!) but just not particularly noteworthy.