Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Lilium Inter Spinas

Hibiscus syriacus, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, apple blossom, and green fig.

Pretty floral with a bit of greeness to it. Pretty, but not for me. It's just too strong for me.

Wow, this one turns to soap on me after a bit. Still pretty strong...

On the bottle -- Smells a lot like apples. It reminds me of a more or less generic shampoo smell.

On the skin -- Still shampoo-y, though that's not particularly unpleasant. Very fresh. I'd wear this when outdoors in the Spring.

Drying down -- It becomes richer and more balanced. The fig becomes more noticeable and while it's still very "fresh", it becomes darker. I like it a lot more now!

I really, really like it! I'm not huge into fruity scents, but even though it smells a lot like apples, the fig and other notes cancel it out a bit so it's not too light, but not too heavy either. I never really expected to like this!

In the IMP floral-apple-granny.

Bright apple, warm fig and sandal wood mixed with baby powder...... apple scented baby powder.

Got a frimp of this last night.

In the bottle and wet it's very green! I can tell there's some florals in here but it isn't being horrible to me. I don't get fig at all.

Oh wait... soap. wah-waaah. but it's a nice soap! oh well.

Will give it another shot, as the idea of fig sounds lovely, but I am betting the flowers in this are just going to give me soap every time.

Floral, green, soapy. If there had been a lot of fig it could've been a winner, but alas, not on my skin.

Kind of a jumble of notes hitting my nose...green apple (the apple blossom, I guess), dry pencil shavings (the sandalwood), and florals. I can identify the lily of the valley, which I love in some other blends, but it's soapy here. I'm not sure if I'm smelling the hibiscus syriacus or not...it's just kind of a generic soapy, powdery floral with slices of apple. Not my thing.

Got this as a frimp. Wet:fruity, light sandalwood, and lily. Nice at this stage. Dry: lily...lily...lily..and little powdery and soapy...if it stayed at the wet stage I would love it, but like this..it is not awful, just not my favorite...

This smells exactly like Burt's Bee's baby milk bath on me. So far it's my favorite of imps I just purchased but I don't want to smell like a 2 year olds bath. The smell didn't change for me. It went on smelling like milk bath and now 8 hours later it still smells like milk bath.

In the imp: White floral. When I sniff deeply I get the sandalwood and fig underneath.

Wet: Green! Much less floral. A base of lily, with creaky fig and cheerful apple blossom floating on top. I really like it in this stage.

Dry: Sad face - the fig and apple blossom are totally dominated by sandalwood and lily soapiness. Not for me.

In the vial, somewhat waxy white floral and apple (blossom apparently), a little soapy.

Wet, the floral blooms a bit more, almost gets a bit spicy aspect along the lines of carnation. But mostly a pale, waxy flower with crisp apple, like Granny Smiths.

Dry, there's a slight suggestion of coconut, and it turns a bit soapy-dusty floral, with the sandalwood emerging. Fades quickly.

Not my thing as a perfume but it would probably be a nice shampoo scent. I wish I could write a bit more in-depth, but I'm not great at florals.

Origin: Frimp in a purchase from a fellow BPALer

Initial Thoughts: I'm not sure whether it would be the sandalwood (which can amp on me) or fig that stayed my hand over the years, but hibiscus and apple blossom are definite happy notes for me.

In the Vial: Spring in a bottle! A very fresh cool floral without being too green-stem or leafy.

Wet: The sandalwood comes out, but since it's white sandalwood it's leaving room for the other notes to breathe. Less fresh spring and more what a mature and sexy woman might wear for a floral.

Drydown: The apple blossom takes on a slightly more "apple" tone and the sandalwood backs off. Not quite as overtly sexy as before, but still my impression of what an older woman would wear. On the traditional side, but not dull.

Verdict: A very pleasant floral suitable for work situations. I'll keep the imp and we'll see if I use it up fast enough to justify a bottle.

Lily of the valley in the bottle. Goes on as lily and sandalwood. Some hibiscus comes in, which morphs into apple blossom, and then the lily of the valley returns. Finishes a little too sweet.

Wet: This goes on with a blast of greenish apple, and then quickly turns to a very bitter floral. The bitterness is fading, and some of the sour apple is coming back. Was hoping for some lily of the valley and fig, but this smells really weird on me so far.

Dry: This turns into a pleasant fruity floral. It's nice, but not wowing me. I think it would be better on someone else's skin chemistry. It's a nice light summery scent though.

This is gorgeous. An unexpected given the lily of the valley and the hibiscus. It's a beautiful fig, apple blossom and neroli, beautifully blended with the sandalwood. I'm going to keep my imp for now and see how much I wear this but I think for summer this could be heavy in my rotation.

In the imp and wet this is a pure, rather high pitched Lily of the Valley scent - almost a single note.

I dries down to a pleasant fruity floral, but on me it is rather nondescript. I wish the hibiscus came out more strongly on my skin, but at least on this try, I'm not getting that note distinctly.

I will test the imp a few more times - I'm trying this after scrubbing off another scent so that could be an issues with the old sniffer - but I have a feeling that while this is fine, it is not anything I need to find a big bottle of right now.

Wet on my skin, this smells like a soft white floral grounded in an inviting fig. The fig is anchoring this and keeping it from drifting off into soft-floral outer space. The first impression is clean and good, with that alluring fig earthiness. The fig is critical.

Before a full minute passes, the flowers go soapy on me. Soap bubbles seem to rise over my feet, to my knees, my shoulders. I start to lose the delicious fig in the suds. Nooooo... I'm drifting away in suds. The fig is in the suds, too, bobbing further and further away. I start to lose sight of it. I feel like waving my hands around and yelling for Wilson.

Later, the soap subsides and I have a faint, dull white floral on my arm. I can't see my beloved fig anymore. I was carried far away in soapy bubbles and my beloved is gone. The sandalwood might have saved us, given us some wood to hang onto so we could drift away together, but the sandalwood only appears a half hour after the storm. This is cause for Grief... which I'm also testing today.

Starts off as sharp soap on me, then finishes as soft slightly green soap. I thought this was going to be SO pretty!

Imp: fresh bright floral of the apple blosson, and hibiscus
Wet on Me: tart apple and the fig with the hibiscus
Drying Down: aahhhh hello sandalwood your sweetness is a different sort. making your presence known I see
Dry: okay that pretty happy floral disappeared and it's just sweet sandalwood. Tis okay

Trade Pile because I won't get a bottle and probably won't try it again as others are a stronger fit for me.

Starts out nice and fruity with the apple, only to turn to soap after a while. I think the lily of the valley is doing that to me.

Another gorgeous lily blend! My skin amps lilies and soaks up most everything else, so I am Learning to Love Lilies. On me, this is lots and lots of lily of the valley. Not sure what Syrian hibiscus smells like but I really don't catch the apple blossoms or much sandalwood. There's a kind of acid green note I'm attributing to unripe fig which keeps the lilies from being overbearing. Still, even on drydown this is mainly lily of the valley on me. Less fruity than Queen of Hearts, less grassy than The Reaper and the Flowers.

I find this really unexpected. It's a lot greener than I was thinking it would be (but it's not green apple). I feel like it smells like lily leaves instead of lily flowers.

Where I'd wear this: In a fresh garden

There's a lot of floral sweetness in this one. The apple blossoms actually stand out the most for me. I get a smidge of fig and lily, but the apple blossom is the star. It's like spring blossoms in the middle of April when everything is still pretty new. It does verge on being soapy, but never makes that final push. It's nice enough to hold on to, but I probably won't look for more.

Lilium Inter Spinas starts off strong on the tart hibiscus on me, backed by the apple blossom, lily, and white sandalwood, with a bit of waxiness from the green fig. (My skin chemistry makes fig waxy sometimes.) The hibiscus and apple blossom end up being the main players for a while, but the white sandalwood and lily become more prominent with wear, and they end up overtaking the tart florals after several hours.

I am not really fond of hibiscus as a tea ingredient, and I guess I am not particularly fond of it as a perfume ingredient either. I prefer this one in its later stages, but I know I wouldn't reach for it over The Owens' Tomb, which also features lily and sandalwood and florals that are more up my alley. I am glad that I was able to try it, though, as I hadn't tried a perfume with hibiscus in it before!

Edited by doomsday_disco

in the imp- green and shampoo- like to me.

wet- dense, green, sharp, with a fig undertone and apple around the edges

as it dries, the dense feeling dissipates and seems to be replaced by green apple and hair conditioner(?), and sandalwood is coming out a little. the green fig is still at the base, and i think that combined with the sandalwood is where the conditioner feeling comes from. florals start to come out more as it sits - i think the sweeter is hibiscus and the one that’s ‘too much’ to me is the lily lol...

overall i don’t like this on me. :( it just doesn’t work 

This is a very fluffy, pastel green floral to me--like a young girl in a green chiffon dress in a flowery field. It almost smells like the florals in this are just buds, not yet in bloom. I think it would make a great gift for my little sister. The fig really helps to prevent this from becoming too generic of a floral perfume. I like this a lot more than I thought I would.

Pity, though, it doesn't seem to last at all. Two hours later, and it's gone completely. :(