Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Lilium Inter Spinas

Hibiscus syriacus, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, apple blossom, and green fig.

I'm getting a lot of hibiscus from this one. It's almost like a light/no-sugar-added version of Tiki Queen in that respect. But much fainter (someone told me last week they could smell my Tiki Queen a mile away and I don't think I'm in any danger of that happening with Lililum!). It's pretty but I don't think I'd really wear it well.

In the imp: Lilies with a strong green note.

On the skin: It is a very soft floral. There is the greeness of the fig and the creamy sandalwood to make it special though. The sandalwood in particular stands out at quite a distance.

Drydown: Very soft, cool and ladylike. It puts me in mind of spring. The lily of the valley is quite long lasting too.

In the Imp: Drugstore Florals

On The Skin: Overpowering florals, no hint of fig, greenness or woody depth. Very soapy. Looks like my skin is rejecting this one too. :P Bummer, I liked the description.

After a While: If I really reach, I can almost get some greenness... a little wet. However, this is soapy florals. :D

Verdict: My skin turns it to grandma soap. Sorry!

In the vial: Sweet first, then apple, then floral.

Wet: Lily of the valley comes up first, sharp. It smells soapy.

One hour: Much softer now, and I like it. The lily has fallen way back, the apple is gentler, and there's only a slight, sandalwoody soapiness about it. But white sandalwood is good on me, so no worries.

Two hours: Light, sweet, pleasant, I could wear this again.

Three hours: mostly gone. Too ephemeral to keep, so I'll trade this one away.

The throw on me is mostly a yummy green fig, the first time I've really found a BPAL where the fig comes out to play. Sadly, one of the florals (not sure if it's the apple blossom or the lily) is going very sharp and soapy on me. After about an hour the soapiness calms down, but the rest of the scent has become very faint as well. I can see myself trying this imp again, to get the yummy figgy throw, but there are other florals I much prefer.

In the imp: Fig at first, then sandalwood and hibiscus.

Wet: Lily soap.

Dry: Better, but not better enough to keep. It's gone to trade.

on wet - lilly of the valley and some green.

drydown - starts smelling like soapy old lady(a very clean and powdered lady)

dry - powdered floral soap.

my skin did not like this one

Update- I retested this one and this time totally better. This time around the lilly of the valley decides to hang around and not turn funky on. may be a keeper afterall.

Edited by plunderparlour

In the vial: Very much hibiscus, a whiff of lily and green. More apple then fig. A good start.

On the skin: Fig. I have so much trouble with fig. As it sunk it, it got soapy and greener. The lily was still a prevailing note, about as overpowering as a room full of Easter lilies. Sad, wanted it to work but just too green/floral for me.

At first this starts out a green floral scent. As it dries though it begins to turn a bit soapy. I can pick out the lily and fig, but no apple blossom, hibiscus, or sandalwood.

It is a rather pretty scent though, just not for me.

In the vial: clean, lemony musk.

On skin: very "perfumy" floral.

Dry: lemon air freshener from a grocery store bathroom!

So ah, first impression is that it's like a very large, green bouquet of flowers thrust into your arms. Lily and hibiscus take the lead while apple blossom seeks to balance them out and succeeds in the task. Alright, now it's more like lying on a beach near a very fragrant--but not overwhelming--bush or tree full of flowers. It's taking a deep sigh and relaxing. This strikes me as very interesting and also as something one of my guy friends would love for me to wear around him since he's so stuck on Hawaii. So for now, an imp is enough.

Imp: A big bouquet of flowers

Wet: Green floral. A little powdery for me.

Drydown: Took on a creamier tone, but there's still nothing in this that's really hooking me. It's a pleasant if bland floral

I didn't think I was a floral person, but I really, really liked this one. It was pretty and feminine and didn't strike me as old lady at all.

I even wore it while jogging and it made me feel fresh and lovely the whole time. :smile:

I may need more of this stuff.

In bottle: They aren’t kidding about the apple blossom. It’s flowers mostly. Wet: more nuanced. Sandalwood under flowers with the lily dominant. I’m not that impressed, but it’s not terrible or anything, though it does unnerve cats. Dry: mediocre floral.

Lily soap - mostly soap. I think it must be the lily that has this reaction on my skin, because I've not ever encountered it with the other notes; the soap completely overwhelms everything else.

Lilium Inter Spinas

This is really creamy-floral on my skin. I think maybe the Lily of the Valley + fig? I don't smell apple blossom or hibiscus at all.

Phoo. :( I'm casually trying all of Beth's apple blossom scents, and LIS would be lovely, if it weren't for the lily of the valley - I can usually manage it in small doses, but here it soaps out & drowns the delicate apple blossom... The tartness of the hibiscus clashes with the lily, and the whole package is fairly wretched on my skin :( I'll pass this along to my mum, who can wear lily of the valley quite happily - it's got the potential to be lovely & fruity & floaty on her...

ETA: Hold the phone. The lily burned off all of ten minutes after I wrote this, and now I am left with a beautiful apple-peel-tinted floral... it's still not quite a winner, but it's much better given some time to dry down...

Edited by tartchef

Sniffing the imp, I get mostly lily.

Wet on the skin, sandalwood and fig upon initial application. Dries down to a creamy floral, but cannot really discern individual floral notes on my skin.

Light aroma of apple blossoms, a pale lily bouquet...the fig just isn't there for me. Light and fresh at the onset. A suggestion of sandalwood toward the end but this is truly an apple blossom and lily-of-the-valley blend on my skin. Not cloying, just lightly fragrant. Very dewy and innocent.

Gorgeous blend of apple blossoms and fig with a hint of lily-of-the-valley :D Light and sparkling scent. Decent throw. Has th potential to go to hairspray, but so far so good!

Vial: Primarily the bite of apple, with hibiscus (it smells somewhat like the herbal tea) and a bit of lily.

On: Wet, it's pretty soapy. I hope that will fade on drydown, without taking the whole scent with it. So far, it isn't going so well - the soapiness seems to stick around, while the remainder of the scent slowly fades... uh-oh.

Later: Lilies and soap. This sadly didn't work out. Swap.

A clean, sharp floral. The apple blossom undernote softens the scent, and its very pretty, but just not something I really see myself reaching for when there are so many other gorgeous scents out there.

Wet, the sandalwood and fig are the most predominant notes on me. As the scent dries and settles, the apple blossom comes out more, and the hyacinth as well. It turns into a sweet fruity-floral blend with the sandalwood providing some depth to it. I like it, but it's a little sweet for me.

Starts of pretty but quickly turns into a sharp, bitting floral. Not my type of scent. Off to swaps.