Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All flash and glam: white wine, heliotrope, d’Anjou pear, and lotus.

Sweet, sweet, sweet! I was very happy to see this scent come back - I love sweet scents, and many people said it was a terrific sweet scent, but I started buying from BPAL just after it was discontinued.

In the bottle, I can really smell the pear, and a sort of general sweetness, but not individual notes.

Wet, bubble gum! Pure bubble gum, in fact. Ugh.

Dry, though, this changes and is wonderful! :P It's still very sweet, but now the pear comes out, with a faint, faint floral touch. No alcohol scent (which isn't a huge surprise with my chemistry).

It lasts forever, too! I love this one, though the wet stage is a bit too strong. I'm also looking forward to aging it a bit and seeing if it will take the edge off a tad. Still, an excellent scent, and I'm very grateful that it came back briefly! Edited by Shollin

ooh, just received my bottle. shall try my best to give a decent description.

in the bottle:ooh. zesty orangey smell. a bit like orange mints? this was quite strange to be because there was no orange whatsoever in the notes describe.

on me: at first is was just like orange mints(hacks orange flavour to be exact) emplified. then slowly, it started to resemble fae a lot. only more zesty and outgoing. if fae was a little white fluttering faerie, then glitter is it's orangey cousin.

rating 4/5

the only bad thingw as that it was gone really soon. like about 2 hours?

verra sweet. Rather too sweet, actually. I smell all four notes, but mostly the pear -- with the white wine to make it alcoholic. I wish I could give a better review, but I washed it off after seven minutes because it was giving me a headache. If it helps, during that time it didn't really change much.

Peh. Must give up on the fruity blends, they just aren't for me.

In the bottle: Pear in wine sauce. Like a really fancy dessert at a pricey restaurant. Fresh, juicy pear with just enough wine to make it expensive.

Wet: Pear still, and wine, but now I've got this great boquet of flowers on my table at said restaurant. Pretty, white, fresh, unobtrusive flowers without a single wilting one.

Dry: This wears off pretty quick. The lotus lingers the longest, just a sweet creamy barely there hint with a touch of that wine still.

Pretty. Not me, but very very pretty.

I didn't expect to like this scent based on the notes, but I really do. The florals don't overwhelm, thank god, so the pear gets a chance. Also, I applied around 8 a.m. and there's still a hint of it left more than 12 hours later (well, just the barest hint, but still). I'm still sniffing my wrist.

I usually run screaming into the night at the mention of anything floral, but this one might be a keeper :P

ADDED 4/30/08:

I scored a bottle of the original Glitter and Oh. My. God. :D

Wet: Heliotrope.

Drydown: The pear goes to lemon on me - I loove lemon, so this is all good, matter of fact I was huffing my physical therapist thinking it was him :D The lotus goes to this divine muskiness. And I don't get any white wine or bubblegum - yay! The original is completely different, and I've got the resurrected version on the other wrist so I know.

Picture Res. as the drab best friend of the cheerleader, following along behind, carrying Original's books while she flirts with the hot football captain.

There's something about this that reminds me about 9th grade. We'd moved to a new house, and my room just started out with a mattress, box-springs, and laundry boxes for my clothes. There's just something "new beginning" about this for some reason. It's sweet and sparkling, but there's a tang to it (lotus?) that's just so different and new. Very nice.

Glitter was one of those scents that I just knew I'd love. Anything "alcoholic" tends to do very well on my skin, be it a wine note, champagne note, or flat out booze note. Not to mention that I love fruity scents AND lotus! Unfortunately...

This was just as a couple of other people had said. Public restroom air freshener. Very chemically fake sweet smell. In the bottle, I also smelled the bubblegum that a lot of others detected. And while it's not really bad, it's just not something that I like on my skin. I can definitely see why people would love this scent, though! I'm just so sad that it doesn't work for me. I wanted to love it!

Adieu, Glitter! ;__;

When this is wet, it reminds me a lot of the scent of Lush's Avobath ballistic, but sweeter. Very bright and citrusy. I also get a bit of a bubblegum scent, which is probably the lotus.

As it dries, it smells a lot like a refreshing glass of strawberry lemonade.

I never smell pear or white wine. I don't remember what heliotrope smells like, so no comment there.

Unfortunately, the lasting power isn't all that great. But aside from that, it's a nice scent for when you need a fruity pick-me-up.

Bottle: fruity spun sugar.

Wet: bubble gum, but tooty-frooty. if juicy fruit was a bubble gum, this would be it.

Dry: juicy bubblegum. I remember long car rides with my sister and she was chewing bubble gum (usually watermelon, the nastiest smell in the world, I would have sworn) and this reminds me of the overwhelmed feeling of being in a closed space with the fruity assult in progress. clearly not a winner on my skin...

Later: aaand it's gone. just like that. so very strong and then nothing at all. biz-arre.

Fruity bubble gum...absolutely!

It's FRUIT STRIPE GUM in a bottle!

wet: very fruity, almost a cat litter undertone, a bit off-putting.

arm: fruit stripe gum. absolutely yummy. it's sweet but the heliotrope is adding that sunny edge...and i love me some heliotrope! I can sense it in this blend, and the white wine. pretty!

a keeper! i'm going to have to buy more of this.....

Glitter

ITI: Bubble Gum. Not a single other note.

Wet: Bubble Gum. Ugh.

Dry: Bubble gum and pears.

I've given this a couple of tries, and both times it's exactly the same. Bubble Gum. I smell like a giant gumball machine.

juicy, sparkling sweet pears. i LOVE glitter, it's such a great pick me up. i always feel pretty when i put this on, it makes me smile.

i can see where the bubble gum comments come in, but i don't care. i love sweet :P

Imp: Fruity, strawberry and orange, candied.

Wet: Bubble gum. Super-sweet fruit bubble gum.

Dry: I've somehow turned this into bathroom deodorizer. This is what the girls' bathroom used to smell like at my elementary school. There's no way I can wear this!

Glitter is sparkles and bubblegum (which I understand is heliotrope?). It's a very young scent and reminds me of when I was about nine or ten and went to a party wearing loads of sparkly and multicoloured plastic bracelets. At that time to me, that was the height of cool. Another thing that was cool was brightly coloured bubble-gum.

It actually smells like something a younger teenager would wear. Having said that, it isn't tacky like those sorts of scents.

Glitter 2006-

In Bottle: Fruit-scented champagne. Almost like sangria!

Wet: Bubblegum and champagne. Remarkably sweet and delicious!

Dry: This is so sweet and lovely. It smells just like the way I'd want a fun-filled evening to smell.

Overall: I love.

Whoever described this as Sweet Tarts got it exactly right! It does feel glittery, tho -- if a scent really could sparkle. It smells effervescent, like a soda, sweet, almost cloying, but not. Really quite lovely -- I'm reminded a bit of Lush's Back To Breakfast. (There's an almost citrusy note to this!)

I was lucky enough to have found an imp of this after hearing so many great things about it.

In the imp: Pear bubblegum. Something like champagne, too.

Wet: Oh, wow. Sweet pears and something like cotton candy, but not as sickly sweet. Delicious.

Dry: This is like a less-sweet version of what I thought it would be. Pale pear-flavored cotton candy.

Final Verdict: I'll definitely be using my imp. I wish I could get a bottle!

I first got a whiff of this at a Meet 'n Sniff back in November, 2006. It stayed lodged in my memory and I ended up getting a bottle on eBay a few months ago.

Glitter is the perfect name for this. It is reminiscent of Jerome Russell roll-on glitter that was all the rage when I was beginning the 6th grade. Except that it doesn't smell synthetic to me.

White grapes and white pear and something else.

Very fresh, although on the dry down it becomes incensey. Less so if I apply it into my hair. It is a nostalgic scent, reminding me of first kisses and the fun of wearing glitter every day, which once the trend ended, I did not continue in high school.

This remains pretty true all throughout, although, like I said, it gets an incensey undertone to it on the dry down.

All together lovely. I am so pleased to have a bottle of this.

Glitter, v. 1.0

Sweet. Really sweet. At first it's predominantly heliotrope and grape -- I know that must be the "white wine", but it smells like grape to me. It's very grape-y. It turns too sweet and stays that way. "Sweet" is good, but this is too much of a good thing... Eventually the sweetness is tamed somewhat by a lotus note, and that's welcome but it's just a toddler step in the right direction, and that first stage is too much for me.

My mom gifted me with a bottle of this (the 2006 version), and I tried it on without knowing any of the notes. My first thought was oh, sparkly bubblegum! I've been searching for a bubblegum type scent for a long time, ever since Jailbait gave me an allergic reaction. This is the perfect alternative. Sweet and fizzy and innocent. A little fruity. Very fun.

After reading the notes I am certain that it's the lotus that is creating the bubblegum scent. It usually does on my skin. But I have never liked the overall effect in other blends as I do with this scent. It just suits the lightness of this fragrance. The fruit note is very subdued and pale, nearly boozy but not heavy.

This has a dry, faint final stage. The sweetness wears away along with the fruit notes. It an interesting scent in the drydown. It smells like sparkling white wine after it's been sitting neglected in a glass all night and lost all of it's fizz. I want to be carefree and dancing when I wear this one.

I definitely smell lemons personally.

however once dried down I did get the distinct pear and white wine effect.

but more on the stale side.

I'm slightly torn over this one.

It might be nice blended with other scents.

Bubble Yum's got nothing on this. It is a fizzy, carefree scent, don't expect it to be deep. The lotus dominates, backed up nicely by the wine and the pear. Some say the heliotrope is the bubblegumminess, but I disagree, I think it's more the lotus doing that. Not bottleworthy, but I like it. :P

I received the original version of this in the post yesterday; purchased off Ebay.

There wasn't much of a description so I didn't know what to expect. Wow! I love it! Smells very sweet but unfortunately it doesn't last long on me. :/

Although it doesn't last long on me I can't see myself being able to sell/swap it on!?..

I initially reviewed the Ressurected version of this scent a few pages back, but I recently got my hands on some of the original 2004 formulation and I have to say there's a definite difference. I can't compare them directly since I ended up swapping my 2006 bottle, but my new-old bottle is so much better. The lotus (always slightly reminiscent of pink bubblegum) softens and sweetens the pear, which on the dry-down, makes for a kinda honeyed fruit that still manages to be light and somehow sophisticated. Yes, a fruit fragrance that smells sophisticated :P . It's still not my usual kind of fragrance, but original Glitter still rocks.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Ooooh. *loves* It smells sparkly and happy!! Instead of pear I smell grape for some reason? Maybe the wine? Either way, it smells fantastic and sparkly for the first couple of hours. After that the lotus seems to soften things and it smells softy, creamy, and fruity.