Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

The Reaper and the Flowers

A funereal bouquet laid on cemetery grass: longiflorum lilies, white rose, chrysanthemum, and carnation.

Fresh off the wand, this is a sharp floral scent with a bit of grassiness underneath. It's a direct floral, something clear, yet slightly fading at the edges; uncompromising in itself, but not overwhelmingly so. The lily is presenting itself most strongly, but the various flowers blend together without conflict. I really can't detect the rose at all.

After a bit, this starts going faintly soapy. (Well, maybe that's the rose.) The soap wanders vaguely in and out of the floral. The floral itself is pretty in a traditional way, but it just isn't attracting my attention well. Also, it vanished down to near nonexistence within two hours.

I recommend this to anyone who wants a simple, traditional floral, but I'm looking for something more interesting than this.

At first this starts out very very green on my skin, with a hint of floral. Then all of sudden it seems to turn straight to floral baby powder. Yuck, yuck. Off to swaps.

Straight from the imp, it's lilies with a touch of carnation.

Wet on me: violets??? They're not listed, but something smells like 'em. There's a small rose like tea rose. Dewy sweet lilies.

After a few minutes: Hmm, soapy flowers. I can definitely pick out carnation and rose.

Drydown: A little overwhelming. It does definitely have an air of floral soap/shampoo/hairspray about it, unfortunately -- I'm getting a slight headache from it.

Swaps...

I'm trying to go through and review scents that I have sitting in my imp box that I haven't worn yet or at least not reviewed yet. :P!

In the imp: slightly-soapy, sharp florals and a bit of sweetness and grassiness.

Wet on, it doesn't change much. Maybe a bit more grassiness. Smells flowery, sweet, and green. It's the lilies that translate to "soap" in my nose, which is too bad. I love lilies with something other than flowers in the mix, something to ground them. This is all lilies and grass to me.

As it dries, the lilies calm down a bit, and it's less "YAY SOAPY LILIES." It's actually quite pretty, in a sombre, grown-up, very floral way. It's soft and sweet, with a bit of spice from the carnation (love!). This is what I really wanted Ophelia to smell like, actually.

I'll definitely be keeping the imp, but only time will tell if I'll buy any more.

The Reaper and the Flowers is like Poisson d'Avril's younger sister. While Pd'A is strong yellow flowers, The Reaper and the Flowers is all light white flowers. I like it but I don't really need a bottle.

A frimp with my last order...

Initial Impression: light floral mixed with fresh grass

On Wet: lilies, carnations, something sweet

On Dry: amping the sweet, carnations, some rose, lilies

Final Impression: very pretty, very Spring-like. Reminds me of a Victorian mourning jewelry: pretty, delicate, yet a bit morbid.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 3, I wish I liked florals more

Whoah. Flowery. :P I really love all the notes listed, but there is just nothing here to ground them for me. I smell nice and clean and fresh, but I prefer dark and dirty... :D

In the bottle: Sharp

Wet: I sang at a funeral years ago and stood next to the organ in a screened area behind the casket. The scent of all the wreaths was powerful and the smell of this oil on my skin threw me right back into that room again. It is not unpleasant at all- it is just the scent of a funeral parlor.

Dry: Carnation carnation carnation and mums in the background. I also detect a little soap. I like the overall effect but I think it is not a slathering scent. This one screams for dainty dabbing only.

in the imp i could smell a mossy green and the lilly and rose came as a strong "after wiff".

once i put it on and it dried down a bit, it was all lillies on me. at first a little overpowering, but then it died down a little and was just lovely and delicate and lingered all day long.

in fact, i put it on 14 hours ago now, and i can still smell it lightly.

this is one of my new favorites...i guess lilly and rose work well with my chemistry.

in the imp: the fresh flower smell of going into a florist shop- how divine! :P

wet on skin: an orange blossom/neroli note comes out in front

dry down: neroli with a dusting of chrysanthemum under it to soften the blow

in all: this doesn't strike me as a 'funeral' scent per se, but it's a fine all-purpose floral, ne to wear during the day, but not really for sprucing up in the evening.

Mmm, I'm glad I gave Reaper a chance to settle down; I got it because I had heard it smells like a florist's shop--well, despite an initially astringent wet phase (seemed like lavender, although that's not listed in the notes) it settled into something even better: a LUSH shop! Yep, that's why my boyfriend said when he smelled it, and he's exactly right--I think it's the Potion-like carnation note combined with so many other luscious florals and something creamy (or is that just the lilies?) that creates that effect. It doesn't smell quite as fresh and green as a florist's to me, but it's a lovely floral and a very positive association--the scent of shopping for bath bombs! :P

Imp:Very floral, of course. It smells like a funeral to me, actually. Like when my grandmother, who was a florist, died. So. Many. flowers. Luckily, the rose isn't overpowering. Yet.

Wet: Still floral, but less funeral-like. Delicate and very pretty. Mostly lily, which I like.

Drydown: Soft and pretty and floral. Not really my thing, but quite lovely for what it is. The rose stays away!

In the imp: sharp floral

Wet: sharply sweet rose.

This is very floral. It smells very much like a slightly soapy florists shop as it dries - stems, grasses and flowers all mixed up in a floral, white soap.

When wet, the chrysanthemum and carnation are a pleasing combination. They both fade considerably as the oil dries. Sometimes I can wear rose, and every once in a while Ms. Lily behaves herself. It almost works in this scent. The lily doesn't screech soap at me like she often does, and the rose is there in the dry-down, just a soft hint. Still, this isn't something I'll wear a whole bunch. A good imp for enabling, I think.

Edit, much later.....Oh, hey! There's the grass! I kept sniffing my hand, thinking, 'what is that?? sandalwood or something?'. I forgot there was a grass note here. Still, not enough for me to wear it often.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I can smell the grass at first, but it is quickly overpowered by the floral notes. I can't pick out the rose and carnation but I know they are there because this has a hum that is reminiscent of Alice. Massive lily, though - my skin amps lily like crazy and turns it sour to boot. This would be lovely on others, but on me it's screechy and sneezy.

A light, soft floral. I can definitely pick out the white rose and the lily, which are nice but not overpowering. After several hours, it's a touch grassier and greener, but still light and pretty. It's pretty much gone after 8 hours.

I like this one quite a bit; more than I expected to. White rose has such a gentle, pretty scent, not like conventional rose at all.

In the bottle: Slightly powdery lilies, spicy carnation, a hint of sharp chrysanthemum. Purely floral, but complexly so.

Wet: Less sharp and spicy, also less fresh; gentler, almost aquatically so. The carnation and chrysanthemum are more green-white and delicate, and the lilies less powdery.

Dry: Dries within seconds, the lilies rapidly turning to powder and overwhelming the lovely c-florals. After a bit, the rose starts to come out, gradually - definitely white rose, which on me is a lighter rose, and also has a tendency to go powdery, being less 'lush' than other roses.

Later: SO powdery, with that sort of sweet warmth that makes me think there's amber here too. The rose has gone sharp and sort of sour on me - bizarre! There's still a bit of the spicy carnation, but the light chrysanthemum has been thoroughly buried.

Summary: Slightly soapy, intensely strong powdery lilies and a bit of amber, faint sour-sharp rose, with the tiniest kick of carnation far in the distance. Strong throw and lasting power.

This I had to scrub at to remove and I still felt ill afterwards.

The Reaper and the Flowers makes me so happy. There are some wily floral notes that end up bad on many people, but work so well on me. There's something about the combination of lily, white rose, and chrysanthemum that cries "summer!" to me. Someone compared this to a florist shop, and I'd have to agree. It's a true, strong floral blend that has just the tiniest, tiniest hint of grass that sort of reminds me of The Caterpillar, minus incense. I want a 5ml of this.

Recently it seems my nose has a zero-tolerance policy regarding florals, but I gave this one a shot anyway. I could definitely pick out the lily and carnation, even though I'm not very good at distinguishing floral notes. It's actually very soft and pretty, and I don't detect much rose at all. Wearing it reminds me of being at church for some reason -- maybe because my church used to decorate with lillies? Something about the blend feels bright and sunny, not the somber funeralesque feeling I expected.

It's light enough that I can enjoy it without getting a headache, but people who like strong florals might see that as a bad thing.

In the imp this was a lovely floral, but on me it turned to soap with a frightening rapidity - I have thus far only run into one other that has done that, and it was Ultraviolet, of all things. It was surprisingly lasting, and had a good throw, though . . .

imp: a jumble of florals. this smells exactly like a shampoo i used in my teens.

wet: really, this smells just like floral shampoo to me. likely it's because of the scent memory but that's what it smells like.

dry: i think it's the chrysanthemum that i smell most strongly (not the rose this time!) but i still can't give this any other review than floral shampoo. very nice floral shampoo though.

very floral... I didn't like this one very much. =/ Sniffing it gave me kind of a card-boardy taste in my mouth, I'm not sure why. However, green and floral scents tend to do badly on me so I assume that's the cause.

I can't even do this with my usual review format. It smells nice in the imp. It touches my skin and it smells like Mary Worth.

That is all.

I love it.. and I knew it!

I knew this would be fine for me :D

it s perfect, it has beautiful lillies which I adore and chrysanthemum :D

perfect for jolly daytimes!

and it s absoluteley not too young for me or sometin like that, just right :P

Edited by lunaticana

This smells RESOUNDINGLY like Yankee Candle Evening Primrose. It's very clean and floral but to me, more of a linen scent than a perfume. It smells like an English garden and I think that this is mainly because of the chrysanthemum which really pops out when the oil is dry. Not a keeper for me.