Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Snow-Flakes

The radiance and desolation of winter.

Mint, of course. And cucumber, and something green and bitter. Could it be aloe? Many people have said this smells like Snow White. I don't get that at all. (But then not a huge Snow White fan.)

Mmmm, Snow-Flakes is so yummy. In the bottle, I smell a delicate mint, but I'm not sure what else is blended in there. Whatever it is cuts the mint so it's not overpowering. Just a beautiful, delicate blend.

On me, the mint disappears slowly, and it smells more like powder, but there's something sweet lingering, so it's not a dry powder smell which I don't usually care for.

Perfect for a winter's day. This is definitely a keeper. Oh, I can't stop smelling my wrist. :P

When first applied, I mostly smell mint. This concerns me because my skin chemistry and mint scents do not always get along.

After about 15 minutes, the mint starts to fade and it smells very similar to Snow White with a slight hint of mint. It doesn't have much throw but I like it! Since it dries down to a scent very similar to Snow White, I will try layering them to see if I can increase the throw.

Sniffed in imp: Minty version of that cold-sweet-pine-berry scent that is Snow White.

In the bottle: watery cucumber, mint, smidge of vanilla

Wet: Tingly mint, icy cool, a tinge of violet

Dry: Here's when this turns magical! The sweetness turns powdery and a white musk emerges. The scent is now a sweet, creamy mint. Gradually, the creaminess develops a barely detectible vanilla scent. After a while, the mint has more or less departed, but the white musk is back, very faintly, so I'm left with a light, creamy, pale musk with a hint of floral that is just amazingly delicious. The cucumber is way down, but tempers the sharpness of the mint. I wore it to bed last night it still smells wonderful this morning.

:P

In the bottle: minty goodness

Dry: Snow White with a dash of mint and without the almonds. Snow White has a tendency to go snowcakey on me if I use just a drop too much and Snow-Flakes doesn't. Thank goodness it doesn't! It's a very cool sniff. It reminds of one of those winter days when the heat is on inside and you take a step outside to catch some fresh air: very cool and invigorating :P

Smells kind of like Snow White to me. White flowers, snow/minty slushy note underneath them.

Wet on skin, there's another green note that pops out with the mint. It seems to me that when I tested this back in '06 there was something I didn't like about it. I think the overall scent has changed a bit since then. Changed for the better. It doesn't take long for the scent to soften and go powdery, but it's not a hateful, perfumed old lady smell. Instead it's a somehow fluffy bit of something hovering around that still-cool mint. Go figure, like a cold snowflake.

Once it's completely dried down, I'm sort of surprised to say that the mint gets even colder and sharper and the throw improves. I think this is one of the few, if not the only I can think of, that goes that way. Still beautiful. Keeping the imp.

In the Bottle: Soft mint with a bit of ozone

On My Wrist: Barely there mint with the cool scent of winter and a hint of something floral?

Overall: I love it! I was looking for the scent of a cold morning and this is exactly it. It lovely and soft and now I have to start a search for a 5ml.

Reminds me of a minty Snow White. The mint reminds me of winter, with that biting coldness the winter wind frequently has. The essence of Snow White reminds me of Christmas! I don't know if it's because that's when I associate the scent coming out, or if the scent literally makes me remember something from childhood holidays. I like Snow White very much, but with the addition of mint, I'm not so sure. So-so on the "how do I liketh thee?" scale.

Cold. Crisp. Minty. Sweetened with vanilla.

The comparision made of a blend of Snow White and Lick it are bang on.

It is the absolute beautiful BPAL snow note, mingled with cold air, vanilla and mint. Perfection.

In The Bottle

Smooth and a lttle green

On Application

A mintier version of Snow White which is my number 1 favourite

Dry Down

Unlike Snow White, this does smell cool and snowy and then dries down to the sexy, smooth scent of Snow White - creamy and not too sweet. Love it

Rating (0-5)

A combination of slush, white winter florals, and mint. Definitely kin to Snow White, Moon of Ice. Light, fluttery, powdery – just like snow flakes! Creamy and feminine, very pretty. There was something about Snow White that I did not care for, but I’m really enjoying this scent.

Note: My bottle came from the DD Trunk Show, with new label art.

In the bottle: A pale sort of wintery, minty musk, and winter breezes blowing by.

Wet: The mint is morphing even as I type this, from a light spear-or-winter-mint to something a little more sweet (but not candy or foodie). There's that pale musk deep down, perhaps a white musk, anchoring the sweet mint.

The dry-down: Cool and refreshing. Not as cold on my wrist as some of Beth's other snow note perfume oils. Very lovely on a hot southern day such as today. However, this may be one of those that I will have to slather, but still a keeper, nonetheless.

I'm not getting the Snow White comparisons at all. Snow White is a lot more floral on me, and also it has that strong coconut note on me. Snow-flakes is more in the same family as Ice Queen, Skadi, and Dublin when I sniff it in the bottle and then when it first hits my skin. It does become more sweet on me as it drys down, but that's still a sweet mint. The closest scent I can now compare this to would be The Snow Maiden, and the Maiden gets very floral in the dry-down. There's still mint and musk in Snow-flakes in the dry-down.

Edited by thekittenkat

This is a gorgeous minty aquatic that is quick to leave my skin....like a real snowflake!! It's lovely. It needs to reappear for the Yules, along with Archangel Winter and the Darkling Thrush....oh santa, this is my wish list!!!

I do not like mint. This being said I am in love with this blend. The mint is prominent but not sinus clearing and it is so cold yet classy, a feel of snow and ice and mint while being a very high-end perfume underneath. This is beautiful and I can't stop sniffing myself!!

This is for the 2009 blend.

In the bottle: A very brisk day, full of cool mints.

Wet: This oil feels rather cool on my skin. The cool mints are present, with a wintermint and a spearmint coming out in the mix. No peppermint to discern. As with the previous version, there may be a very light, delicate white or skin musk serving as the base.

The dry-down: As with the earlier blend, this tends to become a little less minty and a tad bit sweeter as it dries, but not foodie sweet. I still think that the comparison to Dublin, Ice Queen, and Skadi hold true. It's not sweet like Snow White. If there are any florals in this, they are herbal and complement the mints beautifully. This scent is more icy than snowy.

Snow White didn't show up on me at all. At first I thought I had been accidentally shipped a bottle of unscented oil. Snow-Flakes 2009 is what I had hoped Show White would be. The mint is light, but definite, and there's the elusive smell of fresh, dry snow.

In the bottle: Smells exactly like Snow White with a ton of mint in it! By a ton, I mean there's a mix of different mints. I can't put my finger on it. I didn't like Snow-White, it turned to play-doh on me, but the mint in this is

Wet: Very minty. Smells like snow flakes! A very light scent.

Dry: Same as wet. Faint, bright, crisp.

Overall: This is what Snow White should have smelled like on me! No play-doh here, just minty faint vanilla coconut. Is fitting to the name! Crisp and pretty!!

To compare this to snow white is too drastic for me. Although I love snow white, I don't get any snow white from this. Snow Flakes is strongly mint, but its distinguishing qualities from the others is green floral. Could be melon, could be cucumber, could be green tea... but Its very fresh and clean, girly mint.

Edited by glasspillars

This is my first time to try Snow Flakes. I get mint with something green and cool but not spearmint. Sort of reminiscent to Ultraviolet in my mind, but it's been a long time since I tried Ultraviolet. Could this green be some type of violet leaf?

I had a bottle of Snow White last year and Snow Flakes does not seem similar to me. Snow White was definitely floral on me. Snow Flakes is cool, minty, green. I am now unclear what "snow" smells like. I have Christmas Rose from two years ago and I thought that was a "snow".

I like the Snow Flakes and will use up the bottle for sure. Looking forward to more reviews to pin down the green.

I am trying my sniffy of Snow-Flakes again, because it's one of this year's Yules that I didn't get a decant of.

The first time I tried it, I couldn't understand the comparison to Snow White. But that was before I fell madly, Deeply In Love with Snow White. Now I can smell that there is a similar note in it - maybe the creaminess of the snow? Maybe there's a similar flower? I'm not sure. But where Snow White is creamy and sweet on me, Snow-Flakes is sharper and colder. I would like it very much if there wasn't something in it that went sour on my skin when it dried. I can't quite pick out what it is, but it smells like the alcohol wrongness in most commercial perfumes. Alas, poor Snow Flakes. I am glad I did not order you.

09 Version

This was a blast of mint when I first applied. As it settles, it begins to smell vaguely like Snow White, but less sweet and more herbal (if that makes sense). The mint is still there, but not as strongly as it was in the wet stages. I like this, but I'm not in love with it.

No mint for me.

I ended up with something green, light, slightly sweet, and a bit aquatic. I can't identify the green, maybe a melon, which would be where the sweetness is coming from...but its not fruity. Its definately green though, and it stays close to my skin. It feels like a summer scent scent to me, like something I'd like to drink on a hot summer day. Rather like lounging on a chair in the shade, with a glass of sweet green tea.

Not what I was expecting at all. Its not icky, and I'll keep my decant (at least for a while), not a bottle purchase for me though.