Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
PilotKitten

BPAL Fruit Blends - the many variations

If you like apples, three of my favorites are Ladon, The Hesperides, and Coral Snake. They all smell great on me and I tend to both amp sweetness and dislike it, so you might try them.

Hey! Since everybody gave me such great advice, I thought I would write and let you know how my fruity adventure is going. I haven't had a chance to try too many of the suggested oils, but I have tried a few, and Fire Pig is absolutely gorgeous :P . I even managed to find a few 5ml bottles of it. A big thank you to cordia, Nidaba, and zankoku_zen for recommending it!! :D

try:

embalming fluid - lemony but not sweet - more of a lemon tea scent

phantasm - jasmine and lemon

bordello - red boozy fruitiness, not too sweet for me anyway

if i remember rightly eve and eden were soft, creamy fruit scents

avoid:

lady macbeth - fruit sweets

blood countess - as above

swank - alcoholic boiled sweets!

the hamptons - as above

march hare - apricot and clove!

tintagel - was fruity but last time i used it it was almost pure cinnamon/clove. maybe my imp has gone off!

forbidden fruit - very sweet

hollywood babylon - very sweet strawberry champers!

As a fruit lover (wait... that came out wrong :P), I recommend:

Aglaea: Try to find an aged imp/bottle -- it's beautiful fresh, but much heavier on the peaches when it's new.

The amber comes forth more as it gets older.

Fire Pig: This is an interesting scent, because there's a lot going on, but it has lychee in it! :D teh lychee!

Australian Copperhead: Mmmm, berry goodness in a bottle.

Morgause: This is mainly incensy-floral, but it does have purple fruits in it. I love this one.

Enraged Bunny Musk: Lemonheads! The musk keeps it from being overbearingly sweet.

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

try:

avoid:

I had the exact opposite experience, and would recommend the exact opposite course of action. ^^;

On me, Blood Countess is smoky, deep and dark fruit, hardly any sweetness at all. Bordello is like some sort of artificial candy sweet smell.

I would also reccomend:

Bess (real grape smell, not grape jolly rancher smell, with green undertones)

Lampades (spiced cranberry)

Cheshire Cat (musky grapefruit)

Edited by lohengrin

try:

avoid:

I had the exact opposite experience, and would recommend the exact opposite course of action. ^^;

On me, Blood Countess is smoky, deep and dark fruit, hardly any sweetness at all. Bordello is like some sort of artificial candy sweet smell.

ooh it's that chemistry thing again. :D :P

Edited by TofuWarrior

So, what are some of the less sweet fruits and fruity-florals that you have found?

(FYI, I especially love warm fruits and fruity-florals and purple fruits like blackcurrant and plum. But patchouli, carnation, and clove....gross)

Thank you!

One I haven't seen mentioned is Carnal. My experience with it is that it's a lovely mingled mandarin and fig, heavier on the fig, which seems to do well on my skin.

It isn't quite in the same family you're asking about, but the overall effect is close, and the spark from the mandarin keeps it from being either too sweet or too dark.

I haven't tried many blends, but I found Silence (in the Salon collection) to be a very nice, light fruity floral scent. It's very crisp and pretty. It's not available as an imp on the site by itself (only in the Salon: exhibit I imp pack) but you might be able to find on on the forum.

Bumping an old thread - I don't see Bewitched mentioned anywhere here already, but (on me) that's a gorgeous, lush purple berry scent, with a dash of herbiness to stop it being too sweet. It's divine!

But I do seem to have made the surprising discovery that berry scents love my skin. Not something I expected but lovely nonetheless!

Muse. Citrus gives it brightness and cuts sweetness while the rose and lotus makes the scent just pop with juiciness.

I totally second Masabakes :P - it's very heavy on the myrrh, but if you can get past that, it warms up to a deliciously tart, juicy blackcurrant with a trace of mimosa to make it more elegant. I don't like sweet scents as a rule, and this is the only non-citrus fruity BPAL that has worked on me to date.

Although it doesn't contain any fruit, you might try Hermia. It's a floral with a touch of pepper, but the florals are very sweet and fruity in character. However, since there is no actual fruit in it, the sweetness is subtle.

Also, if you like slightly smoky, incensey scents, try the Witch Queen. It's quite similar to Morgause, but a little heavier on the fruit and smoke. Morgause, on my skin, is predominately floral. I think the Witch Queen is a little sweeter.

Edited by naeelah

Is there anything that does for peach what The Hespirides does for apple (ie. a soft understated fruit and not much else)?

I'm just starting to like peach but I don't want to be overwhelmed with sweetness.

Edited by fatalbellydance

Is there anything that does for peach what The Hespirides does for apple (ie. a soft understated fruit and not much else)?

I'm just starting to like peach but I don't want to be overwhelmed with sweetness.

I haven't personally tried it yet, but Imp is peach with amber and golden musk - might be perfect for your resiny tastes.

I haven't personally tried it yet, but Imp is peach with amber and golden musk - might be perfect for your resiny tastes.

Ooo........ :P I like musk........

Mmmmmmmmmm, fruities! :P

I'm all about Eden, The Hanging Garden, Corazon (pops up here & there, can't beat the juicy pop in it!), and Queen Mab :D

I'm in search of a very realistic fruit punch scent. The best one I have found is Demeter Kahala Blue Hawaiian PMU spray but it lasts about 15 minutes on me and then it is gone. :P Is there any BPAL scent that would fit this description?

Spiked Punch was a scent put out during the recent Trick Or Treat Inquisition this past Halloween in the Trading Post. It smells like fizzy fruit punch to my nose... it's boozy at first, but that note disappears almost immediately on my skin. It might be hard to find, but you might luck out on Ebay or in Swaps.

ETA: more info on the inquisition.

Edited by Delirium1009

I'm in search of a very realistic fruit punch scent. The best one I have found is Demeter Kahala Blue Hawaiian PMU spray but it lasts about 15 minutes on me and then it is gone. :P Is there any BPAL scent that would fit this description?

You could check out any of the BPAL scents with pomegranate or other red fruits in it. Check into tracking down some Spiked Punch if you can because that smells the most like true fruit punch to me, but there's also Swank or The Hamptons! There are, of course, many other scents with pomegranate in them but those come to mind first.

Swank and the Hamptons smell a lot like fruit punch to me. Carnal might be worth trying as well.

Another possibility to try, if you can find a decant, is 2005's Fruit Moon - loads of sweet fruit in that one. In the general catalogue, in addition to the other suggestions in this thread, Bordello might be an option.

You might also want to check out the thread of general fruity recs.