Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

White Moon

The chill winds and dark skies of November mark a time of reflection and release, and though the sting of grief is oft-times most painful during this portion of the year, the icy air brings clarity and eases the burden of suffering. These are the blossoms of loss and liberation, soothed by the calm, comforting scent of sandalwood : lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet.

White Moon is beautiful. When I first put it on it reminded me of the springy fresh almost green floral I get from Asphodel.

The florals meld together very nicely with a very light sandalwood note to make a very nice, comforting sort of blend that very much embody the meaning of this moon (rest and reflection, easing the burden of suffering).

In Bottle: White florals

On Skin: This is an extreme floral through and through. I was hoping the night musk might help mellow it out a bit, but the musk is very light and I am thinking this floral is just too much for me. It is all white or light colored flowers, so the name fits perfectly. To me the lily and lilac are strongest. It is very white/light purple in feel. The sandalwood has a light woody note in the background, giving it a nice clean depth. But all in all, the overwhelming florals seem almost like a floral scented cleaning solution to me. I smelled this on my friend and it smelled heavenly on her since the musk came out more, but on me it is amped florals to the extreme and just isn’t working. I do get a night feel from this, like a beautiful flower garden in the moonlight. Strong throw and average wearlength.

Oh, this is possibly the prettiest floral ever. OMG, I smell phlox! I didn't think it would be strong enough to detect, but there it is: exactly what I smelled walking down my street today. I can tell already I will need more bottles of this.

This is a white floral for sure; lily, lilac and phlox(!), but it's a gorgeously green, fresh floral--not at all cloying or too perfumey. There's a light, definitely green note in here--I don't where that comes from, except perhaps the musk? I love it, whatever it is. Sandalwood has been very elusive for me lately, but I think I'm picking up something light and dry. But wow--that fresh, green-stem note is blowing my mind.

This may just be the quirks of my own personal chemistry, but White Moon is a winner. :P

This is very floral, not that I was expecting anything different. :P

Mostly I smell lily with a bit of lilac. At first it's quite a lot stronger than I prefer for a floral, but it gets softer as it dries. It gets a little bit green, too. It's very pretty, one of the nicer floral scents I've smelled.

It doesn't suit me personally because I don't wear perfumes that are this floral, but I think it's very well done.

ETA: I feel like I need to add something to this review, four days later. I've worn White Moon three times since writing that first review, and I think I like it more every time I wear it. It feels odd -- even my husband commented that it's a strange scent for me because I don't usually smell like flowers -- but I'm drawn to it. I just keep wanting to put it on.

ETA #2: Confessions of a White Moon junkie: I have worn this at some point in each day since my last ETA. I am starting to worry. I am not a floral person, yet this is the only thing I want to wear. I think I'm going to have to hide my bottle.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Hmm. I was hoping for a softly pretty floral, or a crisp white floral (the "green" note mentioned above made me happy!), but this went all powdery-flowers on me, and smelled sort of generic with my chemistry. A violet note can do that to me sometimes, but I only ever smelled the lilac.

Since I turned up my nose at Undertow's notes and had it work so brilliantly well, I take no scents at face value, so I HAD to try it. :P

Pretty blend, just not for me.

immediately on application, i get the calla lily sharply and clearly, along with the lilac. it dries down to something much softer and creamier. i almost smell vanilla, but that could be the sandalwood. very pretty.

In the bottle: Light floral

Wet: Hel-lo lily! And there's no gardenia listed in the notes, so that must be wisteria. And a touch of moonflower. It smells very Southern, and sexy...like Blanche from the Golden Girls, only younger and less yucky with the sexual innuendo :P

Dry: All of the above, and the sandalwood is doing something funny...it's smelling more woodsy than sandalwoodsy, and so this smells like a flower cabinet! Or like a flower section at Home Depot (near the lumber dept.) if they had an exotic flower section. I like it, but it's strange!

Dry after 5 minutes: I love this...the sandalwood note has disappeared, and it's just happy, summery flowers. Lovely.

In the bottle: sharp floral

Wet: Green with lilies (damn I hope that calms down)

Dry: I never get the sandalwood and it settles down to a softer floral. Almost too sweet as florals go for me.

Within 30 minutes it's gone completely. I'll have to give it one more go, but I think this one will go up for adoption. Lovely label Macha!

This is a really lovely white floral with tinges of green to it. It's soft and gentle, a little sad, but comforting at the same time. The sandalwood and musk don't emerge until late in the drydown, but the white flowers remain the prominent note throughout. Love this!

Florals usually worry me. I like moonflower and phlox though, and sandalwood and night musk sounded awesome. And if I like any florals, it's usually white florals. So despite my misgivings I ordered a White Moon. Unfortunately violet, lily and probably lilac and wisteria are all I smell. It's ultra-cloying and everything I don't wear in one wee bottle. Violet is one of those that if I smell it strongly, it's nasty on me. So many of Beth's blends do tame the violet though, that it was worth trying. Oh well. Floral gambles often go wrong for me.

On me, 2 out of 5. And oddly enough, I love the smell of real lilacs... no clue why I hate the scent in perfumes so much!

White Moon reminds me a bit of Ephemera with a bit of the roasted grain undertone from Ligeia. Overall? Very Victorian. Haven't made up my mind exactly what I think about this one.

Maybe scent my lace handkerchiefs and corsets?

Edited by themerrybaker

This is a wonderful floral! The sandalwood makes this a less dizzying scent that it otherwise would be. The lilac is most easily detected. I can't pick out any of the other floral notes.

Mmm, lilacs. This is a floral among florals, with just enough grounding in musk and sandalwood. Summery, but a little wistful . . . Definitely (and appropriately) not a bright, cheerful scent. It really is the kind of scent used by a woman who still carries lace handkerchiefs, as suggested by themerrybaker. This is the fragrance worn by a lady--lovely, romantic, classy.

I generally don't like to rush to snap judgements like this...but I'm pretty sure that White Moon just became my favorite Lunacy blend!

Read the listing of the notes again: lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet. Yep, they are all there! Blooming in beautiful harmony. This isn't a loud and pushy floral scent, it's softly feminine with amazing depth and so very classy. I've not tried it out in public yet, so I don't know how the scent carries to others, but I am rather enjoying the lovely floral aura that's surrounding me while wearing White Moon and it certainly seems to have good staying power. (at the moment, I'm 4 hours into the application and still getting frequent lingering wafts of this amazing bouquet)

If I had a Sub Rosa bottle cap, it would adorn a bottle of White Moon. :P I'm so glad I had the presence of mind to order two bottles.

In the Imp: Clean white lilac.

Wet: Death by lilacs. *ugh* I don't know why I ever get the idea that I can wear lilac, it always overwhelms me and just gets too strong my my skin. I can detect a bit of the phlox under the gigantic lilac bowers. I have an idea that the lilac will totally overpower any of the wisteria, lily and moonflowers.

Dry: The lilac only calms down by a fraction. The overall scent is flowery, dry, white, airy. I get no violet or musk at all. The sandalwood is barely peaking above the lilac.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: Not for me at all. Lilac always gets too aggressive on me, and I dislike lilac to boot. I've learned my lesson, if the description says lilac, stay far far away.

Rating: --

bottle: light whiteish florals

skin: green! O_O

what is this! it is not unpleasant, but i was expecting this to be a purple scent, not a green, grassy one. *hopes it morphs*

This is a sheer, almost phosphorescent white floral. It's gorgeous, but unfortunately it seems to have almost no throw or lasting power on me, and I thought I slathered it pretty liberally. I put it on about an hour ago and I can still smell it in the crook of my elbows, but not on my wrists.

That said, though, it will probably be a great scent for wearing to work, or any other situation where you want to wear perfume but don't want everyone within a 20-foot radius to be able to smell you. It's very understated and demure.

White Moon is my natal moon, so I really wanted to love it! However, I was afraid that with "white" in the name, it would contain floral notes which hurt my head. Thank goodness it doesn't! White Moon is an absolutely beautiful yet kind lunar scent, crisp, pale and clear.

I am terrible at picking out different floral notes other than the common ones, so I'm not even going to try. But I would like to say that if "pale flower" scents normally trigger migraines for you, this probably - PROBABLY - will not. lol They are def. triggers for me, yet this gorgeous scent loves me and my wonky head.

White Moon hides in the bottle. Wet on my skin, it smells clean and fresh and intensely floral - if there are any other notes besides flowers in it I can't detect their presence. To me, it isn't a seductive, musky floral, nor a matronly one - it's as clear and white as the moon after which it was named. There's nothing "spring" or "summery" about it. I don't know how Beth does it, but the scent truly is evocative of gazing up at the moon's clear white glow in a pitch black winter sky. It's a very chaste, austere scent, something Diana would wear. It's a serious scent, if that's possible.

As it dries down, it warms and becomes sweet, but that could just be my skin chemistry. :P

The throw is fairly strong even on my scent-eating skin, so a little will probably go a long way. It's not a slathery kind of scent. It whispers.

So, so pretty. I will treasure this and wear it often.

White Moon has the prettiest t-shirt so far in my opinion, but I just couldn't bring myself to get a bottle because it's like the Greatest Hits of flowers that smell like powder and bathroom spray on me. I did, however, try a decant since this is the November moon and that's my birthday.

As predicted, the powdery florals are just that on my skin. Before I started wearing oils, purple flowers were my favorite things to get in candles, bath products, etc and they still are, but they're a disaster on my skin. It's a very strong piercing powder, and not the kind that I like in Enraged Bunny Musk. Unfortunately, we're talking about Glade bathroom spray when these flowers hit my skin and disappear in a puff of white smoke.

I'm guessing that the sandalwood and musk keep this from disappearing immediately. It does remind me of a very wonderful lilac incense I had a long time ago...a premium, handmade kind...and the pale purple powder really worked as a spiral of grey smoke winding across the room. I just can't wear these flowers successfully. But I'm going to wear the T-shirt! :P

Edited by sarada

I'll start by saying that I'm not a floral person. I don't tend to mind a flower or two mixed in with another type of blend, but straight up floral-dominated oils are really not my thing. So far the exceptions have been Beltane '06, Phantom Queen, and White Moon.

It's creamy, gentle, sweet white. It's almost opalescent, with a play of color, but still creamy white over all. The musk and sandalwood balance the sweetness.

There is a passage in A Wrinkle In Time where Meg and everyone ride on the back of an otherworldly winged centaur. They go up very high, past the breathable atmosphere. The centaur gave them each clusters of blossoms to hold to their noses so that they could still breathe. White Moon makes me think of that passage. To me, it's what those blossoms would smell like.

This lunacy's theme came at a very appropriate time for me. The artwork is beautiful and very touching.

In the bottle: I smell intense floral, overpowering.

Wet: Irises and perhaps lillies. Truthfully I'm not sure exactly what I am smelling but it is very beautiful. I understand why some people are describing it as 'soap.' Because I recognize the floral in this as the floral that some fabric softeners use, only the one in this oil smells like the real flower, fresh and natural, whereas in fabric softner or detergent it does not smell real.

Dry: I let it dry down for a while and now I smell like clean laundry except better. Not chemically smelly, just really really clean and fresh. In fact, right now this is reminding me of my mom for some reason. Again I must stress that it is a very natural scent. It's very subtle and feminine.

I really don't know if I will wear it much, but it is very beautiful and I'm glad that I got it.

Subtle. Clean. Sweet. Floral.

White Moon actually reminds me a bit of Dragon Moon, with its sweet and delicate blossoms. Only, where Dragon Moon had a warm and spicy sort of edge, White Moon has more of a clean and watery quality to it.

This isn't a really remarkable or unique scent on me. It only lasts about an hour and is very light, but it's pleasant enough. Delicate, pretty blossoms. I can't pick out any one note, but it's definitely cool and flowery.

I'm really not sure why I ordered this, since white florals never work on me; I was just excited about lilac, I guess. Well, lilac is what I get -- tinged with violet and the usual soap. It's not bad soap, like Nihil or gardenia-scented oils on me, and if it were actual soap I would probably love it. But very pretty soap it is, until I get the brief, weird lilac-incense minute when the sandalwood kicks in. It's faded and almost scentless within the hour, though.

I really wish I was the kind of person who liked white florals and who they worked on, but I'm not, so, off to the swaps or to my mother, who is that kind of person.