Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A fine confection for discriminating trick or treaters: a fig meat, coconut, and buttercream bonbon rolled in orange rind, mint leaf, cardamom, clove and ginger, dipped in milk chocolate.

This oil is utterly delectable from the almost boozy buttercream beginings, through a brief spicy orange period to its final dry down as a scrumptious macaroon dipped in chocolate. It actually isn't quite as foody as it sounds. It stays surprisingly light and close to the skin, but it has great staying power.

I think this may be a new favourite scent. It is the most perfect sweet scent I can imagine.

wow! Straight out of the bottle I get bowled over by buttercream. Holy toledo! At least it fades off and leaves me to get mint, orange and... Cardamom? And that's when it's wet!!

Drying: Oh... Oh myyyyy.... If I huff it, I get the nasal twang of ginge and a zip of cloves. This just makes me want to curl up and play with a bit mink fur and some leather. Treat #2 should be a trick as well.. Naughty Monkey!! :P

Shake your Fig Bon Bon! This scent is exactly like the description, dead on. I can pick out every single note individually, like they are fighting for my attention but they also smell ever so good together. It fades fairy quickly and the drydown is a soft coconut macaroon crumb sitting on my wrist.

I think that this scent is going to be one that ages beautifully, getting all rich and deep and thick. I'd like to smell this in six months and review it again.

In the bottle: slightly tipsy buttercream. :D

Wet: fig-a-licious goodness with the boozy buttercream. I had to restrain myself from licking it off my wrist.

Dry: coconut macaroon lusciousness.

Wow, this is more fabulous than I imagined. I luv coconut and it is really difficult to find coconut scents that stay true, but this one does. :P

Smells almost exactly like the Chocolate Whipstick lip balm from Lush, so much so that I literally pictured it in my mind. It took a while to realize what I was seeing. The chocolate is really chocolate, not cocoa, and much more realistic than usual. I'm sure this will be a great favorite of many. I only have an imp, but am seriously considering tracking down more.

I thought this would be all chocolate and buttercream from the reviews here, but this is quite different on me.

Predominantly I smell coconut and buttercream with an earthy, almost gooey fig note running beneath it all. As it dries down I get a hint of spice and something a little too rich for my nose, though I don't know what that note is.

Eventually a little orange peeks out, and finally it ends up as a delicious pure cream scent. No chocolate, though.

This isn't my kind of perfume but it's one hell of an awesome blend, never the less! :P

Indian ritual confections. Lots of citrus, some coconut, and lots of cardamom. Surprisingly, the citrus isn't making me want to run and hide, although I do hope it tones down more as it dries. I keep coming back to sniff at this because it's very complex. Not really getting the buttercream or chocolate at all.

In the vial: Chocolate and sugar... kinda like a chocolate pixy stick.

Wet: I get chocolate in this scent for about two minutes, then thankfully it's gone. (not a big chocolate perfume fan) What's left is a very sugary, almost pez or pixy stick smell. Sharp and sugary to my nose.

Dry: This is a surprisingly subtle scent, from start to finish. Once dry, I just get these nice whiffs of sugar and (I THINK) fig. If I stick my nose to my wrist (as I do. Often. My fiance used to worry because I sighed so much till he noticed I was sniffing my perfume) I can smell something vaguely spicy.

Sadly, I smelled no mint, but I'm going to give it another try later. I've noticed my sense of smell has been off lately because of the dry air.

Treat #2

In the imp: chocolate orange! Whoever made the Terry's comparison is spot on, although this is heavier on the orange. I was expecting it to smell like Lush Whipstick, but it smells like TBS Chocolate Orange lip balm.

Wet on skin: orange buttercream with a hint of chocolate and ginger. Tons of orange in here.

Dry on skin: orange and fig buttercream surrounded by a wreath of sparkling spices! This smells like a very expensive Christmas dessert, or a hand crafted Christmas chocolate imported straight from Belgium or Switzerland. It's luxurious and decadent yet sweet and light hearted! This does keep the Chocolate Orange scent but the fig adds a fruity green sharpness, reminiscent of Carnal. And I smell little bits of ginger and cardamom peeping out of this rich, creamy, chocolate mixture. Mmm.

After a while: I'm surprised at how long the orange note is lasting in here! It's bonded with the fig and is sticking around for some time. Surprisingly it's the fruit and the cream which are the longest lasting notes here. But I still get a nice gingery backing to it all. It's not as dark and rich as I hoped it would be now…I don't get coconut either.

It's very pretty at drydown, very fun and sparkly orange powder, but it does remind me of orange sherbet powder with cocoa powder, not the posh chocolate it was before. I still smell ginger but no more cardamom, and hardly any clove either.

Verdict: at first, I adore this to bits-it's like something concocted by a master chocolatier, a luxuriant mix of figgy buttercream with spices and lots of orange, enrobed in chocolate. very delicious and also strongly reminiscent of Christmas. I do wish that initial scent lasted a little longer though. The drydown is pretty enough, a light, fizzy orange powder (whoa, that's some orange note, lasting so long-or is my skin hanging on to the citrus notes longer these days?) with cocoa and hints of ginger and fig, but it smells more like sherbet powder and less like decadent chocolate. Maybe because this scent seems to be being eclipsed by the magnificence that is 13 Revisited, it just pales in comparison? I do like this enough to keep the bottle but I won't need to scour Ebay for more of this. It does seem a perfect scent to wear (or use as room scent) for the Yuletide period.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Just one bottle will do.

If you like this, try: the original 13, Tezcatipoca, Pumpkin Queen, Great Sword of War, Xiuhtecuhtli, Candy Butcher, Bliss

Treat #2 - I was hoping that the coconut, fig meat, and cardamom would be the strongest nots in the blend; unfortunately, when I apply this, it smells like a cheap chocolate purchased at the drug store. It's a lightly-orange and milk chocolate truffle filled with thick and heavy mint cream. It becomes a "skin scent" almost immediately upon dry down and after about 30 minutes on my skin, I can only smell it when I sniff up close, although at that point, it's gained a weird, plastic-like quality about it. Sadly, this is yet another gourmand/candy/foody scent that's just not going to work on me and which I'll need to pass along to a more loving home.

In the bottle: lots and lots of cocoa and then quite a reasonable amount of coconut. Makes me think of a cup of hot cocoa topped with coconut powder (not something I would drink, though!).

On my skin: nearly only chocolate (milk chocolate). There's a hint of coconut from time to time. I used to hate coconut but some Bpal scents (such as The Star) taught me to love its smell. But not here… here it's the sickening coconut I'm a real fiend of.

After a couple of hours: milk chocolate and maybe something spicy. Still too sweet for my liking.

Verdict: off to swap.

I smell chocolate, orange, coconut, and mint. It's quite delicious and very unique. It definitely smells like candy and not perfume, so I won't be reaching for it every day, but I'm glad to have a bottle.

In the bottle - Chocolate orange mixed with coconut

Wet on me - Very bitter chocolate and orange blossoms

Dry on me - There's a terrible moment when this smells like fake florals over burnt chocolate and ashes :P , but it does settle down to a gorgeous dark chocolate covered ginger nut buscuit sort of a scent :D .

Overall - I love the dry down, but i don't know if I can handle to scary middle section

Edited by Ajila

at first: super sweet and very, very foody.

on: lots of buttercream and milk chocolate. there's a bit of ginger and orange, too. a crazy, decadent scent.

2.5 hours later: lots of bright ginger and orange rind. there's still a nice, sweet foodiness to this, too.

5.5 hours later: very orangey, with a lot of fig.

overall: fig just smells sort of odd on me. however, the rest of this was delicious. maybe it will work in my scent locket.

this scent was so complex, i wasn't sure what i was smelling, as it seemed to morph constantly. it smells creamy and good, and has so far been the only bpal chocolate not to smell rancid on me.

still, not sure if i'll keep it in regular rotation.

Mmm...stupid orange! Go away!

Seriously, if it wasn't for the orange, I'd be utterly smitten. On me, it's leans towards the coconut and fig. I love coconut. This scent tends to lean towards the "sunblock" side of coconut, though. Maybe a little cocoa too. There's something odd about the "texture". It's kind of like a marshmellow if that makes any sense (like Arcana's Haint to me).

Definately complex and yummy. I think it'll grow on me.

In the bottle:

fig!

On me:

This goes on like sweet but slightly tart fig, and smooth but faint chocolate. It's sweet, but not so sweet that it is overwhelmingly candy-like. It does have a dessert quality to it, but the fruity-ness keeps it from becoming heavy. Before long the orange and coconut are there too and this makes me think of a chocolate covered orange, crossed with Eden. It smells like both at the same time.

Final note:

Just wonderful, I am so happy I have this! It's wonderfully fruity and sweet, without being too sweet. The fig and coconut keep this fresh and airy, and the chocolate and orange give it a dessert edge. If you like 13, you will probably like this.

straight sniff from imp is coconut combined with fig and a touch of cocoa...

once applied...it gets thick...the coconut in this blend is not my friend and ends

up turning plastic in moments...burnt plastic... & then add some orange bayer baby aspirin to the mix and it is sooooo sad....i think i will keep

my imp and perhaps use it in a scent locket or just sniff it from time to time...

Wow - is Treat #2 ever a morpher! I traded a decant of my Trick#2 for it.

In the bottle, all I can detect is orange, spices, and chocolate. Wet on my skin something kind of odd-smelling - the cardamom? - comes to the fore. This is not my favorite stage, but it's not a deal-breaker like some notes have been - it's just not real pleasing to my nose. However, waiting it out is totally worth it! Treat #2 has THE best drydown on my skin yet, orangey, spicy coconut buttercream. :P I'm a slatherer and I can only dab from this decant, so there's no throw. Yet every once in a while I think "What is that beautiful smell?" and remember it's the Treat. My husband looks at me sniffing at my wrist with a blissful look on my face and just shakes his head.

I'm going to try to get my hands on more of this. I want to slather it. :D

I finally got my hands on a bottle of this, thank the lord!

At first sniff: Oooo, smells just like a coconut creme chocolate. Yup, this is the exact smell of breaking open a fresh, creamy Valentine's chocolate. Yummy!

On the dry down: The fig meat really starts to show itself. It turns from a coconut chocolate into a chocolate covered fig. The lab has such a lovely fig note; just like the one in Eden.

After the fig stage, this scent settles into a fruitier, sharper chocolate. The orange and mint begin to emerge. It becomes a very unique citrusey/mint milk chocolate. The top notes change a bit as Treat #2 goes through its changes, but the lovely milk chocolate note is constant. This is a lovely, unique take on a sweet chocolate scent. Bravo!! :P

Urgh. I just don't like this. It's really buttery and cloying smelling. Too much orange, fig, and coconut and not enough chocolate. It just smells...weird. Off to swaps!

Citrus-scented Dawn dishwashing soap. I hate to say it, but that's what it smells like to me for almost the entire wear. At one point the coconut pokes out a bit, and I get coconut citrus-scented Dawn. Later in wear, I get this yummy vanilla throw, but I still smell Dawn if I get too close. At the end of wear smells like a yummy candy, but this is a faint stage and not worth smelling like Dawn for so long.

Wow. This is a spot on complex exotic truffle, with the spices, the rich fruit meats, everything right there, so close I can almost taste them. I want Beth to team with Vsoges and make paired truffles and perfumes next October. :P

I like this a lot and am happy to have scored a decant of this.

In vial: chocolate and buttercream, a bit of fig. Heavy on the coconut.

Wet: tons of coconut and chocolate, like a mounds bar. spicy ginger and clove starts to emerge a little. So far, I like this, and I really didn't expect to.

Drydown: This is tasty. was afraid of the orange as citrus tends to take over on me, but I can barely smell it here. The milk chocolate is a constant in this, never varying in intensity.

I like it, but I don't love it. I'll likely swap this for something else in future.

Edited by phedre

In the imp: milk chocolate and orange and ginger.

On me, wet: mmm, cardamom and cream and chocolate orange.

On me, dry: smells like a box of chocolate creams melted on my arm. Pretty good ones, at that, if a little mildly flavoured.

Verdict: the SO, as usual with BPAL chocolate, pulled an unhappy face when sniffing this, so I think it'll go back in my trade pile.