Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A double-dose of seedy that oozes rough-and-tumble sexuality while promoting vice-driven profitability! Volcanic red musk, vanilla bean, Queen Elizabeth root, red ginger, skin musk, black leather, honeycomb, honeysuckle, magnolia, and patchouli.

:P I have never been so happy about being tricked in all my life.

IN THE BOTTLE: Musk and vanilla. The leather is there, but subtle.

WET: Still very musky and heady and sexy. The floral notes are hinted at.

DRY: Oh my. It's all musk and leather. The vanilla has calmed down to a background note, and the florals are nearly gone. But it's INCREDIBLE. It reminds me of Mistress Saskia's dungeon after a good scene. The leather is really prominant on me.

THROW: Decent. I catch whiffs of it when the wind blows past.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: If you didn't get tricked this year, I am so very sorry! This is one amazing scent! I am glad I have a 5ml, but wishing it were a 10ml.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Waxy leather?

Pre-review thoughts: The red musk could go either way, and the honeysuckle, magnolia and patchouli make me just a bit wary, but the ginger, vanilla bean, skin musk, and honeycomb could very well save this for me!

In the imp: Red musk, vanilla bean, and honeycomb. The red musk may prove troublesome.

On skin, wet: Musky, honey-thickened vanilla and patchouli! Much stronger on the honey than I'd expected. I like it quite a bit in this stage.

On skin, dry: As it dries, it becomes much more floral, and lighter. I'm really kind of surprised at how drastically it changed on me. Something about it reminds me of... well, oddly, it reminds me of the way an floral-scented pillar candle's wax smells, close to the bottom of the candle, while said candle's lit, when the wax is warm. Maybe it's the combination of honey, honeysuckle and skin musk. Beneath that strangely-specific smell, I do indeed smell black leather. Warm candle wax on a leather jacket, maybe? :P As it wears on, it becomes more leather, less flowers. I don't find myself a big fan of black leather.

Conclusion/Notes: Had it stayed as it was in the wet stage, I'd probably have sought out a bottle. Unfortunately, I tried it in my Salome locket, but it was too much as it was in the vial. On the other hand, it's a fantastic earthy vanilla-musk-honey on a friend, so I might track down a bottle for her.

Although I sniffed all the Tricks and Treats at the Atlanta M&S, this was the one I chose to try on my skin. I'd put it in the same category with Smut as a strongly musk-based scent; good throw and staying power. The sweeter notes don't really come out on me--Snake Charmer and Storyville are far better about manifesting vanilla and spices (respectively) over the musk, so I don't mind being Trickless in my own collection.

I received a decant of this scent as part of a swap with some lovely Forumites :P

In the vial: musky, spicy, a bit of caramel and a hint of leather.

Wet: this scent seems to have a dual personality; a layer of caramel and then the spicy muskiness of Smut.

Dry: this scent is the love child of Smut and Creepy. Very interesting and I'm pleased to have had a chance to try it :D

Trick #1

In the imp: a gorgeous 'sparkling' musk with a darker undertone, probably leather and patchouli.

Wet on skin: the ginger comes out adding a lovely spicy warmth, as do black leather and red musk.

Dry on skin: mmm! This is lovely stuff. It's an amazing mixture of spicy, floral, musky, earthy, honeyed and leathery. I smell a huge hit of honeycomb, a note which here smells like beeswax candles (which I love) smeared in runny honey, with breezy hints of the floral notes, and the ginger note which in here is almost peppery-smoky. I smell the musk notes-light skin musk and darker, sexy red-and the base of gritty patchouli and spiced leather. I definitely get the 'starry' and 'airy' quality of the musk-maybe it's the skin musk and the floral notes mixed? It's almost perfume like and contrasts nicely with the smoky, spicy, dark leather base.

After a while: smoky treacle? This smells like the sort of smoky caramel scent I get in foody BPALs, along with leather, honey, light musk, and now a stronger magnolia note comes forth. It's feminine yet darkened and sexed up. The magnolia note is surprisingly strong, I must say. The scent eventually becomes a very intriguing smoky floral, but it doesn't have the gingery patchouli-red musk it had before. The words 'roasting flowers' comes to mind when I smell this, but it doesn't smell like the floral notes are burnt-more that there's a smouldering background behind the floral-skin musk scent. The scent after a few hours is similar to Black Dahlia, but smokier.

Verdict: this is a gorgeous fragrance-especially at the start, when a fantastic blend of many complex notes-mainly the sweet musks, leather, ginger, and an amazing honeycomb note could be smelt. It was dark, sexy, entrancing, a little dirty (in the best way) and cheeky! The drydown is a lot more floral, like fragrant magnolia blooms strewn on black leather with a waft of smoke over it all, like sweet wood-smoke, sparkling floral musk over a night-black background. Very womanly, sexual and glamorous in feel, but veiled in shadows, concealing dark secrets. However, I was hoping for more 'oomph' from the red musk and vanilla, I hoped for something like Mme Moriarty, but the red musk fizzled away and was nudged out by magnolia, and the vanilla was faint. I wanted that amazing beeswax-honey scent to last longer as well. It's a gorgeous fragrance but I actually don't love it as much as I hoped I would…I'll keep the decant though, this seems like a very good scent for decadent nights out.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? mmm, yes! Will cherish my decant, but I'm not desperate for more.

If you like this, try: Black Dahlia, Loviatar, Trick #2, Count Dracula, Perversion, Hell's Belle

This is nothing at all like what I expected. I thought it would be heavy and dark, but it's actually light and feminine. I smell the florals, a hint of vanilla, and some musk, but the patchouli is hiding in the background. I'm not really getting much ginger either, but I still love it. Gorgeous, and I'm so glad to have a bottle of this!

In the bottle: Musk, leather and honeysuckle

On my skin: honeysuckle and some others flowers, plus lots of musk. It's a very nice way to be tricked.

Verdict: not totally indispensable but very nice indeed.

Hrm... this doesn't actually give tons o' patchouli like patch-blends normally do.

Instead I get a heady musk note (slightly masculine) and a darker floral (I guess the magnolia). No real vanilla though and thank GOD there's no honey (BPAL's honey's go absolutely rancid on me).

Not a bad scent. It doesn't really epitomize fall or the holiday for me or anything but it's okay I suppose.

Trick #1 - This is predominantly a musk, leather, patchouli and ginger scent on me. The notes all blend so well together, but it’s the thread of vanilla running through it that really seems to “finish” this scent, making it dark and sexy, yet sweet and alluring. The scent doesn’t morph from application to the point when it fades. The throw is slightly above average and the staying power is quite long, as I would expect from the “dark” notes in this blend, which always seem to love my skin.

at first: a bit sweet and very, very dark.

on: lots of musk and patchouli, with a hint of something sweet. very dark and earthy.

2.5 hours later: very sweet and honey-like, but there's still a lot of musk in the background.

5.5 hours later: a bit powdery, but still sweet an earthy.

overall: i really like this, but i have a few oils that sort of fit the sweet/earthy/musky/dark category for me already.

In the bottle:

mmm red musk and beeswax(?)

On me:

This is what I was hoping Smut would be. The red musk is positively gorgeous and so super smooth. The patchouli and vanilla lend it an earthy sweetness and I love how the red musk and skin musk work together in this. It smells smooth, warm, sensual.

I don't really get the leather in this, but red musk always ends up rather dominating on my skin, so I'm not surprised.

Final note:

If you don't like red musk, steer clear of this. If you liked Smut, Blood Moon, Spanked, or Krampus - you might give this a shot!

Ooo la la, this is divine!! It's a lovely red musk scent; sexy and sensuous to the extreme! The dominant notes are red musk, patchouli, and honeysuckle. This smells so much softer and sweeter than I imagined it would be! The vanilla bean floats beneath, sweetening up the undertones just enough to be sinful :P . This is the type of scent I want to wear to feel ultra sexy and most definitely naughty.

On the dry down: Sweet, sweet red musk. A touch of leather and a drop of vanilla bean.

Ahhh, I must get my hands on a bottle of this!! Beautiful, I love it! :D

:P i had a feeling i'd love this one, and i truly do. it's musk and vanilla on me with a slight slight spicy leather. it reminds me of smut, but is not so musky as smut. i am in LOVE with this. now comes the trial of finding a bottle...

It's a very dark, smoky scent. Somehow, all of those delightful notes combined on me becomes murky and icky-smelling. Oh well, one less LE for me to pine for!

In vial: Sweet musk and vanilla, honey, patchouli, florals.

Wet: Much the same as the vial scent, sweet with honey and magnolia. A touch of ginger, lots of vanilla and musk. Complex.

Drydown: Fascinating. Sweet, spicy, smoky. Vanilla and honey, ginger spice, a touch of leather, and a dirty dab of patchouli. I won't be joining the hunt for a bottle though.

Edited by phedre

This was the scent from the Trick or Treat Inquisition that I wanted the most, largely due to the red musk, vanilla bean, and leather.

The red musk and leather smell great together and they aren't overly strong in this. There's something else in this that makes it smell perfumey, but I'm not sure what it is. I guess the skin musk? I can't pick out any ginger in it, but it has a very subtle spicy quality. It reminds me a little bit of a cross between Dark Delicacies and Mme. Moriarty.

I like this so much it's in my Top 10 BPAL scents. I love wearing it.

Soft rather than sharp, this is beautiful in the bottle. It's musky with a smooth dash of vanilla and the sweetness of ginger and slow honey. On, it's unspeakably sexy. Leather doesn't dominate, it accentuates, the chief notes are still musk and spice. There's a trace of sweetness here that's definitely floral, but the notes are not at all dominant. They're just there to soften this up.

This is "trick" in the sense of "turning tricks." "Vice-driven profitability" is just a pretty term for "prostitution," and this is a really slutty perfume. I adore it. Should come with a free eyepatch and a pair of fishnets.

Even the husband approves: stops dead five feet away and says "You smell gorgeous."

The fact that I was naked when he said this should tell you how good it must have smelled for a nose-deaf horndog to mention it before saying something about my boobs.

bottle: complex immediately, but the red musk, ginger, and some sweet (I want to say the honey, but really...it might be the sweet of the florals, it's hard to tell) are standing out

wet: more with the florals, really amazingly lovely (and no leather yet, which is a Good Thing on my skin)

dry: I can identify the darkness of the leather behind everything, but it's not amping. I am loving this stage, it's spicy and floral and musky all at once.

later: oh, the leather has moved to the bare of edge of what is viable for me..but behind it is fantastic. I wish the peather note did not dislike me so...alas.

I tried an imp of this a while back, and it was very interesting.. The bottle I picked up on Ebay smelled the same, so I have to believe that my body chemistry has changed to some degree. It's still slightly smoky, and patchouli-ish, but wet it develops the same nasty ozone-y air freshener note that Dark Delicacies inflicts on me. It's so nasty that I had to wash it off, which was a crying shame because it's such a pretty scent. Damn body chemistry. :P

Guh! :D

Oh god - this is red musk perfection!! And with red musk being one of my absolute favourite notes, I am in HEAVEN!

In the imp this is leather and red musk, but as soon as it hits the skin, the leather mellows out almost immediately as the sexy-as-hell musk rises up with the patchouli and just a touch of the ginger. SO good!

As it dries, the florals are so well behaved, staying in the background and adding a very feminine touch to the heady musk that's still dominating beautifully. The vanilla is also a great bit-player, mostly peeking out when dry, when it's joined by the skin musk. This is blended so well.

Utterly glorious. It's like a muskier Mme without the plum. So completely thrilled I nabbed a bottle on the notes alone! Freakin' LOVE this! :P

The leather and patchouli dominate this blend. Beyond that, there is an almost antique but swarthy mood to it. I think it might be the vanilla, honeysuckle, and magnolia that does that. My favorite part of this is the red musk. Ooooh, so sexy!!

I rated this 4/5 and I will cherish what I've got of this oil.

I almost wasn't going to get this because of the Leather but ... you only live once. I'm glad i got it since the Red Musk which is in my favorite blend ever (Smut) is quite prominent in this blend. it's super spicy and musky with pretty much no sweeteness or floral that i can smell. the leather doesn't overpower it, but it does give it a masculine feel and it blends with something almost peppery.

verdicst: super sexy scent.

Expectations: Sweet and sweaty, with a bit of spice and floral. Probably will not work on me.

In vial: That chemical smell I get from a lot of florals. I think I detect a bit of the honeysuckle.

On skin, wet: There's just barely enough in the sniffie to get a damp spot on my arm, so I can't tell much, but it's about the same as in the vial. Slightly less overwhelming with the chemical smell.

On skin, dry: Much spicier now. I'm getting a lot of the patchouli and ginger.

After time: There's so little here to work with that I don't think it's worth paying attention to how it morphs. It won't be accurate enough.

Conclusion: At least in the beginning, this works better on me than the scents that are more heavy on the florals. It's still not something I'd choose to wear though, especially since I'm starting to think I'm sensitive to patchouli. This is sad, as I like the smell of it, but I usually feel either an impending headache or tickly nose (or both).

in the vial: dark thick floral.

wet on skin: floral is still heavy, but a current of something sweet -not vanilla- is peeking out. :P hmmm

dry down: sadly, i'm not getting any of the musk, the leather or the vanilla. it's just a dark floral. :shrug:

in all:well, i like it enough to keep the vial around, use it once in a while when i'm feeling like a naughty witch, but i don't think i'll both searching out a big bottle.

:D